Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 22:03:22
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
How wars affect the business aspect of MR Started by: ________a on Aug 13, '15 04:28
I recently died, so did well over 100 others. Around 80ish accounts were started again. Significantly less then as many that died. I assume most take a break before playing seriously again.

Lets assume that 1% never return. Thats 1-2 people per war of 100+ deaths. If anyone informed has statistics id love to know.

If this one percent is correct that is scary. If you lose one percent of your dedicated player base every few months you will eventually see the decline of "dedicated" or hardcore players. The "micro" transaction based game economy heavily relies on whales, which tend to be your hardcore players.

So am I wrong in thinking that wars are bad for MR as a company? Do returning players want to get a jump start and buy lots of credits?

What do you think about this topic?
Report Post Tip

I think that wars are a very important aspect of the game; one cannot have a game about the mafia with the prospect of death being a major issue; it'd be like a game about pirates without ships (or bit torrent, har har.) I don't think there's really any need to alter it the way it is, especially with adding in an option to just 'buy loads of credits.' They can do that as is.

Report Post Tip
Dedicated or hardcore players understand and accept that death is inevitable. Most of us (and I do feel safe labeling myself a hardcore player, and speaking for the group of us) would rather die for "legit" reasons in a war than via some random ass-hat taking a potshot.

Even if the war itself was for a bogus reason ("the" war. Not specifically this one) those of us who have invested 1k...2k....10,000+ hours... Do you really think we're going to walk away? Like you said, a lot of people may and probably will be taking a break....but I think we all know us dedicated players always come back.
Report Post Tip

Yep, always come back. I recently had a short break and wasn't planning to return at all, but here I am. Wars here are like a mini 'reset' in MMO's that have rounds. I think if you take the right perspective then a war can be a great opportunity for many reasons. I for one like to roleplay new characters so it's a great chance to write a new bio and start a new life.

Report Post Tip

Yes wars can have this happen, but what are you going to do combat the situation? You really can't do anything when one of the biggest features of the game is killing one another. The key is to keep getting new hit's and focus on your rate of those new players staying and playing, if you have this your member count will always stay about the same if not increase. But like others have said, those that understand the game and are dedicated always return. 

Report Post Tip
Whilst you lose people after a war, you continue to gain new people.

Those that are "hardcore" or even your standard player, will return. They do so because death is part of the game. Those that don't return are likely either taking a wee break, or didn't really enjoy/understand the game to begin with and have got a little pissy about dieing.
Report Post Tip

Wars come and go it has always been that way. While some may not like that aspect of the game others thrive on it.

People will come and go it has always been this way many will take a break after big accounts and concentrate on there lives outside of the game. Others may or may not retire completely but most will find there way back here sooner or later the one thing i enjoy most here is the community that izzy has created i have met many friends and enemies here and the place has given me much joy heart ache frustration over the years i have been here.

I have taken breaks or just held onto slacking accounts just to chat or help my friends with there goals. As many have said the "hardcore" element will always find there way back. as will most that understand the game if not to play just to be there to help there friends or chat

This place has that hold over those that love and understand the game that is Mafia Returns and for that Squishy we thank you.

Report Post Tip
I'm fairly positive that wars are actually very good for business.

Why do you think think the BG cap was lowered, MIA limit increased etc

More wars = more money for the site.

Longevity past 120 days is never desired on a site wide basis as it means you're no longer building your character because it's built.
Report Post Tip
(I've been IA as fuck for a while... When was the BG cap lowered?)
Report Post Tip

After the may war -Telkin- i am pretty sure

Report Post Tip
Most share the opinion that hardcore players will return. I wonder how many new players actually stay. Though, even if only a hand full of new players stay and only 1 becomes hardcore then its likely the money is there...

That is very interesting. It seems as if MR has hit the goldie locks zone. Though, we dont have any actual data.
Report Post Tip
Hm... Is the speculative, or was there an announcement? I feel as if I'd be able to find a thread on it. Then again after no sleep and stupid amounts of pain...I'd be shocked if I could find my kitchen without getting lost atm.
Report Post Tip
I'm talking 24 months back Telkin but that was the catalyst for subsequent changes.
Report Post Tip

While I think what you're saying has a little bit of merit, I do believe that you've approached at it from the wrong view point. Let me tell you why; I don't think the issue is retention after wars, like our resident jail bird -telkin- has said, many players have thousands of hours playing time and will have sat through a lot of wars during that tenure. My self included, currently on over 11k hours, im still here.

What war does effect on though is player engagement, What tends to happen is people who loose "big" accounts or have repeatedly lost accounts in a short space of time, will return and their productivity will decrease, which has a negative effect on their engagement with the game. I.E. they will make a new account, but it might sit semi- dormant.

Report Post Tip
Point and case. This fucking bastard was retired when I went into jail, and sitting here now!

(<3 ya Spacey!)
Report Post Tip
Side note: The BG cap has NOT changed. Inquired with the big cheese himself :)
Report Post Tip

Spacey hit the nail on the head.  Most people can take loosing a big account, sure a few leave.  Most people can lose a shitty account and just shrug it off, but when you lose a few back to back for "no real reason", your drive to hop back in and do it again gets lower and lower.

Also, losing an account in a war has two very very different sides to it.  Spending 40 hours straight wacking and then finally your proer gets beat and you die, thats fucking exhilarating.  While you died, it sucks, but man you had a thrill before you did... lets do this again!  - Versus - you log in dead, no whisper, no reasons in the forum.  You just lost 500 hours of work because... who knows.  So how you die and why is just as big of a reason to stay or leave as any.

Report Post Tip

One of the best thing to happen to the game in recent times is the shortening of character cycles. It has made the game appealing again to people like me, who've played for a long time, but simply don't have the spare capacity to compete with the younger guys who are able to devote 12+ hours every day to it. Where as before, it would have taken me years to directly influence things, now, in my head anyway, I can theoretically play a part in whatever I want. That's a great improvement and should appeal to a much broader market than something that requires more effort to succeed than your job does. 

I also don't know the numbers (although Squishy tracks this stuff), but I would be surprised to find, over an extended period, there is a significant downturn in the amount of accounts registered. The game seems, on the whole, to have at least the same amount of users it has had for the last few years with the current number being 667 according to the stats page.

Sure, people are going to either leave for awhile or possibly never return at all after a war, but these type of things are fluid, with the number leaving likely being outweighed by those joining for the first time. As long as the balance is right, most people will return, at least in some capacity, for as long as they are able. 

Report Post Tip

Aye Credits, I try to keep the number in the stats page at about 750, when it dips down, we dip into funds and double up our advertising budget.  A few years ago, our advertising budget was like a nice easy 250 a month, now depending on where the game is at number wise, its between 1-2,000 a month.  It is by far the largest expense for the game just to maintain this size community.  As long as the number stays at the 750 point, I feel the community is at a good enough size and has decent amount of new life coming into it every day, but if we ever stopped the quest for new users, things would taper down to just the jaded vet community - and that would pretty much implode on itself :D

Report Post Tip

I honestly feel like that 1% you bring up that you think "leaves MR" are those who have probably already "left MR" in some capacity before their death.

Not going to lie, and this is just my opinion, but you have be pretty tough mentally to play a game like this one. Not many games out there where you die and have to start from scratch, but that's also what attracts people to this place. People can say "oh, this is different". Anyone who signs back up to MR, after their first death, normally has a good grasp on how the game goes by that point. And that can take its toll on you, but that's part of the game and it's aspects. That 1% who didn't sign back up, yeah a few might take a break and others were probably inactives that weren't worried about coming back.

Chances are they'll come back at some point, sign up, and sit inactive again, because that's just what they like to do. Might not be 24 hours right after they died, but chances are it will happen. 

So there you have it, you guys are a tough crowd! Mainly because it takes a tough mentality to debate, care, argue your point, fight for hours, and then die to start over from scratch and do it again, this time starting from the very bottom to work your way up (for the most part and most people). 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: How wars affect the business aspect of MR
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL