Get Timers Now!
X

May 02 - 22:05:21
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Double Standard Started by: Chun_Li on Oct 02, '15 18:15
What you say is true, they may not know as well as a higher rank, but I would also take into account what all they have done. Mistakes happen. If someone has been with me since day one, earns very well (or whatever they love to do), and has a strong bond with the family. Then they deserve the chance to right their wrong.

A goomba or gangster on the other hand have just begun. Their room for mistakes is slim. If they are already making mistakes then is that a risk worth taking?

I can see where you are coming from. The higher rank should know better. Of course if it is a repeat offense, then things change.
Report Post Tip

I don't want to come off as a dick or anything but in my opinion I am not going to kill a hard working person for making a mistake, especially when the mistake is minimal, now for this instance you may say its not minimal someone lost their life, well that persons life hasn't been used for probably more than a few hours of the 30 some odd days he was alive, while the one who shot them while they did break rules are contributing to our society and trying to make this place more active.

I know that sounds like a douche thing to say but I honestly believe those who work their asses off deserve more chances than those who have proved nothing.

That is pretty much all I have to say on this as for why I decide what I do decide in regards to punishment is mostly based on what I just said.

Report Post Tip

Due to work, this is the first chance I've had to read these posts and post a comment..

It's not that I'm looking for death for anyone..mistakes happen..what I was asking is, Why is breaking a protection order, grounds for death for some, and not for all? I respect KevinOwens and how he handled the situation. I just dont think it's fair that some who break the rules of protection orders lose their lives for the infraction, and others dont, and I was simply asking why. why isnt or cant there be a more uniform way to handle this type of situation? until i read these posts i had no idea what if anything was done. For what it's worth, I think KevinOwens had a fair and just way of handling it..i just wondered..

Report Post Tip

Now the thing is most goto the gun for punishments i remember reading about a conversation one on my kin folk had with GodFather Stamina one time.

About punishing misshaps and how the gun was used way to much, But there is also a fine line as well was the person ignorant? Or thinking they may well get away with it? I demoted on of my guys a way back for breaking a protection order he was a boss shot a IA gangster from Vegas. In the end the guy suicided because he was demoted so i lost an active Boss who had worked hard over a IA gangster anyway.

Now most times the shooter i think just dont care there eyes are locked onto a cheap +1 and are willing to put there own lives at risk along with the integrity of there leader. 

If they cant be bothered to visit the streets and check out that the person they have locked away in there gun sites is on a protection order why should they be afforded a free pass?

I get that you will get the odd nOOb that screws up but some of these are killed off by vets looking to get a cheap +1 and because they have a knack at building a handy gun are let walk these i think are the double standards Chun_Li is talking about.

Report Post Tip

Exactly my point Visas..

But my other point in the question is, at the very least, a request of a WS usually goes out, how it's handled from there is up to the CL of the offender. In this case, no such request came forth..The fact that this player was IA is beside the point. I was looking at the fact that he's still under the protection order.  what some of you are implying is that, because this particular person was IA, that makes the fact that he's still under a protection order "less" important than say a more active player under the same protection order..for arguments sake, i'll ask this..what determines whether a person is killed, demoted or otherwise? Take Remus for example..taking into account he admitted his guilt in breaking the protection order,  had he not rouged, would he have been killed anyway? Consider i know nothing about either him or the one that shot the protected one this morning, experience level or anything else about the people, what determines why one is killed one is not?

Report Post Tip

I can answer that Chun_Li since Remus was part of my city his Bloodline knows better so by breaking that protection order he not only disrespected Duplicity he disrespected myself.

So i quick swimming lesson with cement flippers would have been in order.

Report Post Tip
I'm a lil lost as to why someone would be punished for killing someone under protection order when they are 6 weeks inactive but the first protection order I seen said this

Please allow anyone with the crew tag:

The Self Inspired

To have 7 days to find a crew, unless over 7 days IA.
Report Post Tip

I see..thank you..

Report Post Tip

Protecting IAs is ridiculous. They shouldn't even be allowed to be sponsored after a lengthy period of activity.

Suggesting a Consigliere should be killed over an IA is even more ridiculous. It was a nobody killed by a Made Guy. Ignoring their Don's instruction is the offence and the punishment should reflect that based on how their Don feels about it.

Report Post Tip
Well said but my point is why should IA be classed under protection in the first place I copy n pasted the first protection order I seen and it clearly said except over 7 days IAs i can see how some can say oh a IA yes the crew is leaderless now and under protection but IA is IA so who's to say the protection order covers IA so why should one be punished it's not even a act of defiance against the don unless I'm mistaken there is no rule on killing IA just respect this IA is in this family therefore leave it for the leader to take care of but once the crew is leaderless who does it fall on
Report Post Tip
The current protection order also includes IA's because it didn't mention they are fair game, and are thus protected.
Report Post Tip
Why should IAs fall under the protection order by default
Report Post Tip

Because if a protection order says that everyone with a tag is protected, that includes IA's too. If they don't want IA's to be protected, they should say they aren't.

Report Post Tip
Demotion.
Taking a gun.
Fines.
Removing sponsorship.

The reason we have these things is so there are more options for punishment. Death doesn't have to be the only answer. The character was inactive, the killer was not. The character is unlikely to return, the killer returns every day. See where I'm going here? Yes, an inactive character is worth a helluva lot less than an active, high ranked character. That's just how it goes.

If a leader chooses to punish their member by busting them down to Wise Guy, taking their gun, and whatnot that is their business. It's not yours. It's theirs. You are not the leader of their crew. Go lead your own crew and punish your members how you want.

There are unspoken rules for punishment of course, however, this is one of those "Meh, it was an IA and a mistake. MissyMcFuckstick did own up to it right away and understands it was a mistake. She's proven herself time and time again." type of moments. If another leader has concerns they can contact them in a private manner. In the end it is up to the leader, not you. They are the ones in bold. This is the way it should be. We need to get back to where leaders lead their crews how they want to and not how the masses expect them to. If they fuck up, they die. This is the circle of life.

Each punishment should be governed by the situation at hand in my opinion and up to the individual leader. This is why there is no "Godfather Council" and it's great. Leaders get to lead how they want to and see fit. That includes punishing their members. The world is not black and white. Hell, the site colours say it all. Shades of gray govern our characters' lives here.

If you were the killer in question and it was the same situation, would you expect and welcome death? I doubt it. Would you think you deserved death over an IA? I doubt it. Why not use alternative punishments. Sometimes they can hurt more than the end of a character.

IAs are cannon fodder. They fill a crew when needed and provide a way to train a gun. Deal with it. We aren't here to hold hands and eat cotton candy.
Report Post Tip

Wow Iris..A person asks a simple question, seeking clarification, because in my time here i've seen, people also wack players under a protection order that were active players, semi active players as well as IA, and usually it ends up being death of the shooter as a result.Would i expect death if i were the shooter? yes, because that's how it's been dealt with for the most part, since i've been playing this game. We're always told, if you have a question, ask. This time because i caught a statememt, i took the time to notice, wonder, and question what "appeared" to me to be a double standard. people are going to ask questions, likely ones that have been asked millions of times before..deal with it..Did i state she deserved death? no, i simply asked because i noticed over time that some are killed and some arent and i wanted to know "why"..not everyone has your vast superior knowledge of the game..Thanks for taking the time to give your imput

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip
I've been around over a decade and I can tell you from personal experience there are fewer deaths and more alternative punishments or no punishments at all than you know of when it comes to this situation. Credits, financial compensation, perks being purchased... All better than death in some instances. If you're going to bitch and moan that someone died under a protection order and don't want feedback don't post it in the Streets/OOC. Go to one of your upper structure members and ask about the situation. Come out in public? Expect differing opinions and not-so-nice replies. Especially about a topic that is an attempt to drag other members names through the mud.

What you are told and what happens are two different things. Would I kill one of my best hitters because they fucked up and shot a six week unsponsored IA that showed no sign of return? No. I would not. A life wasted for someone who was just going to be used to train a gun anyway isn't worth it. I'd offer demotion, fine, removal of gun, removal of sponsorship, holding the person back from Made once they got their XP back up for a period of time... But I would avoid the death of the productive member if I could. To me an IA just isn't worth it.

I'd apologize for my reply not being what you wanted to hear, but I'm not sorry at all. This game isn't about love and cookies, it's about death, power, and crime. You protect those who do something for your family. What was that IA doing for that family? Nothing. It should have been killed a long time before it was. It was taking up a spot someone productive could have taken when there were homes being sought out for those surviving other wars. That spot could have been used to teach and bring a new member to the game into the fold. It's a cold world out there and I'm not going to sugar coat shit and call it a candy bar for you.

If you're feelings are going to get hurt when people don't agree with you and you're going to attempt to make sarcastic comments in regards to other people's views and their "vast superior knowledge of the game" and political side of things as a way of lashing out then maybe you should go play NeoPets or FarmVille. I am glad you appreciate my input though. Honestly, that just makes this all so much more worth it. My day is complete now.
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

The problem that chun_lin has bought up is well knowen a shooter from X family a knowen gun builder kills wise guy Z an ia wise guy brom a family why will he get a pass. When say a nOOb bites the bullet. I agree with Chun_Li a person who knows better should ALWAYS bite the bullet

But no that guy is a beast he is my friend so he gets a pass fucking bullshit he is a moron that puts a fucking +1 to his gun above the saftey of his family and crew.

Report Post Tip

Silas hands Visas a chill pill

I know its a frustrating scenario old friend, but lets face it, if person X made a mistake but owned up to it - is death really the best method of handling the situation? I've stuck my next out for my members many times in scenarios like that and not because they are friends, but because they are real people who put forth real time and effort into this world and to end all of that effort over an error of judgement is at times, pointless.

The family for person z simply lost out on an IA, the IA added nothing to their family and in fact is simply the loss of a +1. So if in return for the error person X made, they are punished In other ways and the family for Person Z is satisfactorily compensated then I see no reason why that isn't a valid solution to the problem.

This doesn't mean that person x is above any rules, nor does it mean that every tom dick and harry can kill what they want without retribution, simply that we shouldn't have a tunnel vision attitude to dealing with problems and death should always be the last resort in my view.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

While that may work for some Silas, it does not for everyone. The problem with this sort of attitude regarding protection lists is that it benefits a select few.

Surely if you have earned your rank, or you want rank to mean something you hold those ranks to high expectations. No way should any one get the respect that people are claiming high ranks should have without those ranks being held to a high level of expectation.

So for things like this I would think a blanket sort of thing in regards to punishment. I am not saying it should be straight death. But if you shoot one for it, then you should be shooting the next person for it.

Report Post Tip

The situation is:

• you build a good gun/earn cash therefore you benefit me so I will not kill you. 
  • you don't build a good gun/earn a lot, that's a +1 for me. 

Would just be easier for people to come out and admit the truth, the rules are only enforced when they can get the +1 and they're not weakening themselves. Simple!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Double Standard
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL