Get Timers Now!
X

May 01 - 07:25:02
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Street Speeches. Started by: Airbourne on Nov 11, '09 18:11

A lowly Petty theif flips over a milk crate and begins his "Generic" speech which has been heard a thousand times before.

Yeah, that's right.

You have probably heard this before, so feel free to ignore me completely as I am just a Petty Theif, not worthy of an opinion/Voice.

That is how things are run right now, It has nothing to do with respect, nothing to do with rank. It is to do with having no answer to an argument or discussion, using rank as a factor in an argument is a poor way of defending your point.

Yet it works, some mobsters are in such fear that it changes them. They mindlessly agree, any other choice is far too scary as they may get killed.

"If fear alters behavior, you're already defeated."

The words have never been truer. Simply agreeing with any opinion results in you becoming? Thats right, a useless Cretin for others to stand on. Does it matter that they gave you your own family/city? Oh hell no, you do exactly what they say without question, you never question anything. You're so afraid to lose something, that you keep your mouth shut or simply agree like a nodding dog.

The problem at the moment, is that we are simply accepting that opinions cannot be expressed in the streets anymore. This is creating a load of high ranking mutes, now I do not target this at any particular Person/Organisation, some are extremely active in the streets, expressing opinions and views on subjects. Others, whom usually do not hold such a position of power simply keep their mouth shut, and for doing so they are granted access to the higher ranks, like good little lap dogs.

Now, most likely someone will take offense to this speech, thus more proving my point. I am likely to be shot at a rather low rank, even if I manage to find a family willing to take me in after this speech to the public, I refuse to become a mindless drone with no opinion. Or worse yet, a creative mind, afraid to express those opinions.

Now, I will be looking for a family whom encourages public speech. This could take a long time, as most leaders would rather simply shoot a lowly Gangster/Goomba/Wise Guy, rather than even see if that person had made a good point or expressed their own view on a subject respectfully. A single mail from one Leader to another usually results in the said low rankers Obit being in the morning paper. I find that unacceptable, that a Leader will simply take the easy option to avoid conflict, it creates a barrier between free speech in the streets and New mafioso.

So, I will likely mail each leader and take the time to get their view on this matter. Wish me luck!

Report Post Tip

rubs his head

I seem to be having Deja Vu, I recall seeing something like this not to long ago.

I also take offense, as I have expressed opinions in the streets. Most times damn the outcome type attitude is shown through in my bloodline. Some people just don't feel it is with in them to break from the conservative mold, that is okay. I highly doubt you will die over this speech, and to be honest. It isn't even an opinion or idea that hasn't been widely expressed.

~HF~

Report Post Tip

begins his "Generic" speech which has been heard a thousand times before.

I did express that this speech has probably been uttered before.

Now, most likely someone will take offense to this speech, thus more proving my point.

I also take offense, as I have expressed opinions in the streets.

Enough to warrant death for me? - That is the question. If something as simple as this fairly respectful street speech can offend someone, It is much more likely that a future speech, which may be on a much more unstable subject would get me killed.

Report Post Tip

The problem at the moment, is that we are simply accepting that opinions cannot be expressed in the streets anymore.

How did this come about exactly? I have noticed plenty of people come out to the Streets on a daily basis to share their opinions on different matters without fear of repercussion. A good example of this is the failed "Running Numbers on the Block W/Clause?" business venture invented by Ms. Flamegoo.

Apparently in your 4.5 hour life time, you have the authority on all sub-

Rourke is cutoff mid-sentence and dragged away by the Street Opinion Police.

Report Post Tip

Well, being that I enjoy coming out to these streets, I know you're not referring to me as one of the mutes referenced in your interesting speech.

You know what I love - I love the fact that you talk about your point, then say your point is proven when somebody disagrees with you. That makes me laugh, I can tell you - your point is just wrong.  But feel free to disagree with me, that'll just prove that you're wrong.  See how that works?

I'll tell you my position on these issues.  I've said it before, so I don't have a problem saying it here.  It's been repeated over and over and over.  You earn respect.  It's not given.  And you earn respect in this world by virtue of your rank.  You rank up (once you reach Wise Guy) by the good graces of that crewleader who houses you.  Those who have worked hard, had an impact on the community, and followed the code (set forth by your family) become worthy of respect in the community.  Not before then. 

Now, I don't care if gangsters, or in your case, petty thieves come out here and express their opinion.  This speech doesn't bother me at all.  I don't happen to agree with it, but certainly don't want to stop people from coming out here to express these opinions.  I wouldn't go so far as to approach it the same way you did, i.e. insulting the crewleaders that are out there, regardless of whether you named them or not.

I don't believe we are accepting (or you are accepting if you are discounting crewleaders in the 'we' you refer to) that opinions can't be expressed.  Go to my HQ.  I encourage people within to express their opinions in the community.  In fact, I demand it.  But I also demand they express their opinions in a respectful way.  That's all I ask.  References to "high ranking mutes" and "good little lap dogs" would probably not fit into my definition of respectful, but that's just me., 

That's my take.  And good luck to you sir.

Report Post Tip

point is proven when somebody disagrees with you

More that my point would be proven if someone took offense to the speech, not disagree with it. Those are 2 very different situations, disagreeing with someone and Shooting them in the face for "Disrespect" as you have no argument left are completely different.

Report Post Tip

Having been quiet far too long, Al Anastasia opens his mouth.

I have to agree with you on the fear part. Many people should fear coming out here with opinions, because they are stupid. A healthy fear of your own inadequacies is important. Had you been stricken with at least a little fear you might not have come out here and pointed the finger directly at the leadership when you expressed your poor opinion of some of them.

Report Post Tip

Let me clear something up for a few people.

I do not target this at any particular Person/Organisation,

If you think this may have been aimed at yourself in particular, perhaps you should take a look at yourself more carefully. Possibly consider changing what appears to be a public opinion of you, WillHaynes was correct, I was not speaking about him. I did not specify whom I was speaking about purely because the people whom I am speaking of know and accept what I have expressed to be true. Otherwise they would realise it was not directed at them in particular and take no offense from it.

Report Post Tip

smirks

Enough to warrant death for me? - That is the question.

Uhm the quick answer would be nah, not really. It would take more than that for me to want to kill you over your words. The fact that you are pushing so hard though, does peak my interest. So far not one person including a Leader has stated your death certificate has been sealed. Yet you continue to push people for that, my question to you is; do you really want to die? If so I propose you simply go to sleep and don't wake up. In due time your place will be set.

~HF~

Report Post Tip

Uhm the quick answer would be nah, not really. It would take more than that for me to want to kill you over your words.

Nothing personal against you, I was merely questtioning if YOU thought that what i had said would warrant my death. Which, from your reply, it doesnt.

do you really want to die?

I am not pushing for my own death, I am merely seeing what is now acceptable in the streets. I am not pushing for my death, just curious as to the first person whom disagrees with me and I prove a valid point to, to see if they shall pull out the "Rank" defense or possibly the "Disrespect" defence.

Report Post Tip

In my time here, I can only remember one young thug being killed for his words in the streets. His father was killed, and the young thug came to the streets promising death to those who killed his father. He was extremly disrespectful and someone ended his life soon after he rambled off in the streets.

Report Post Tip

All in all Airbourne the street's is pretty much safe.. You can say what you wanna say express you opinion as long as you don't insult anyone that outranks you. or probably insult anyone period..

For you to pick a family to join if you want to join one.. Now that my friend is all up to you..

I could give you a recommendation but i'm in that family and that could just be called bias, but to me you can't pick a better family..

Report Post Tip

I am going to assume that clarification was for me. Assuming does make an ass of some people so feel free to correct me if you meant someone else.

I do not target this at any particular Person/Organisation,

I didn't really think you would trot that out, so I did not address it like I should have. Walking up to a crowd of people and punching one in the nose while SAYING you aren't targeting them is not too bright. Pointing out to someone else that you did it is even duller. It is your inability to express your opinion without insults that you and perhaps some others fear, and with good reason I might add. I could express that same opinion without insulting anyone at all.

Report Post Tip

Assumptions are the Mother of all fuck ups.

I think that you shouldn't assume things.

Also, walking to a group of people and punching one in the face would be targeting someone, the person I would punch. I think you have taken this too personally, and perhaps you have doubts on your own credability then. I never suggested that this was targeted at you, but you ASSUMED it was, hence you are almost.... Admitting to it?

Report Post Tip

I honestly cannot remember the last time somebody expressing a respectful opinion got killed.

Now, if a high ranking mobster comes to make an announcement and doesn't open it for debate and then a young goomba comes and says he disagrees and questions the decision, he is being disrespectful by forgetting his place, no matter how careful his choice of words.

Report Post Tip

CrazyNine,

That is most likely because no debate worth giving an opinion on has come up for some time. When they do come up, they tend to die very quickly as only one side of the argument is expressed. Only one side is expressed because of the very subject of this speech, fear of death.

Suddenly the debate now looks more like.... fact. As noone will disagree due to fear of death, so it never gets challenged and stops being a debate.

Report Post Tip

When you said that you could only have meant a few people, literally. See that is the point you keep missing. You would like to allude to some things and imply others but you aren't very good at it. Your clarification can only be to Godfather Rourke, Mr. Hayes, or myself. You eliminated Mr. Hayes. So that leaves me and the Godfather.

f you think this may have been aimed at yourself in particular, perhaps you should take a look at yourself more carefully. Possibly consider changing what appears to be a public opinion of you,

That was pretty good implication there. And again it could only be in reply to one of two people.

I know you think you are having a debate, but you aren't. Your last debating point was to admonish me for assuming you were talking to me when you actually were talking to a GF. Then you turn around with your own assumptions about me.

Lastly, the punch in the face analogy suits your style. You walk up and call the leadership tyrants with lapdogs and then try to say that if any of them take offense they must somehow believe they are exactly what you said they were. In reality, you insulted the leaders and think you can get away with it.

Report Post Tip

You seem to forget that in this thing of ours we have the option to send private mails to individual mafioso.

If you think this may have been aimed at yourself in particular, perhaps you should take a look at yourself more carefully. Possibly consider changing what appears to be a public opinion of you,

Refer to my previous statement.

Report Post Tip

I should now ASSUME it was a mobmail you answered publicly? Nah. You might try that with someone a little slower on the uptake. I'll just go with what has been said here if you don't mind. I think you have done an outstanding job of showing why some people should not be voicing opinions in the street.

Report Post Tip

Take it as any way you want, It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But your assumption does show something, the reason that people are afraid to come to the street. You make ASSUMPTIONS which lead to MISCOMMUNICATION, MISUNDERTANDING, both of which you can try and turn into "Disrespect" as a reason to kill someone when you are all out of words to use?

Nice try at that, but Until you know all the facts, I have done nothing wrong but voice an opinion.

Smirks.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Street Speeches.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL