Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 07:22:49
Page:  1 
This thing of ours dying? Started by: HaHMortDied on Oct 13, '17 20:52
I stand here today to give my views on this thing of ours.

With the passing of disorder (Who in my opinion, did not deserve to die like he did) this thing of ours is clinging to life...it's hanging by a thread, new people to this thing can't quite do the things they want, most just want to live and succeed, that's a hard thing to do in this day.

Most people here, like myself, get bloodlined, I mean, I deserve it, Because I'm so fucking great and shit obviously. But most people get bloodlined Because they are good players, they can build a gun quickly, they can get shit done, and apparently that's a threat.

I've rouged a fair few times, mostly when I've been shit faced but some when I'm just plain old bored, or there was that one time when I tried to kill tellerium like 50 times, (Best proer outchea)

But the thing that honestly pisses me off is the people who get crews handed to them, like, really?? What has said person done better then the person who had just gotten made man in record time and donated 15 million?

Do they not also deserve a shot at leading? They are after all the new blood here.

With that shit that went down with TMH in DT, My want to play this shit has demised, it's gone, this isn't a goodbye thread, Because c'mon, that's for bitches.

This is a FIX YO SHIT thread, you complain that this is a dying site ect. Then make it more noob friendly, you want to get them other cities opened up? Do something to get this site out there instead of constantly killing it's userbase and making people not want to keep rebuilding just to die.

Fuck, I just noticed I ranted ashit tonne... Oh well, fuck it, read this shit yo!
Report Post Tip
I have seen this argument repeatedly over the years. There is good reason why people get crews handed to them. It's just easier and more safer to give that power to a friend who you know would not turn on you. It's also easier to give it to someone who has lead a crew before, rather than take the risk on new blood.

This is how it has been as far as I know. New players would just have to show the initiative. Most of the time it's not about what you do but who you know.
Report Post Tip
I've turned down countless auths over the time I've been here only for one simple reason

I didn't feel like I did anything to deserve having the crew.

That shit that Curtis did over in DT making it a free city was almost perfect, if he didn't introduce the tax, I can guarantee many more people would have set up, many more new people.
Report Post Tip

What I want to know is where's the innovation? You'd think a site full of creative motherfuckers would have shit loads. But as said above we've consistently taken the easy route. Here's one solution for that of the top right, check this out. Take a new bloodline with potential and stick him/her/it with someone experienced. Let the new blood run the family with guidance. I have a lot more opinions about the new blood and the older players treatment of them but this isn't about that so I'll shut up. 

But I agree with the sentiment here. I think Disorder/Curtis showed us what the site looks like when all you care about is winning, and I think most of us agree that's not something we want this site to be. Yet here we are.

Report Post Tip

New blood or old blood doesn't matter in my humble opinion. During my first stint here in 2014-2015 there were a shit ton of new blood who ran great crews and some went on to be GFs and even GF-Cs all first time leaders. If you don't give new blood the chance how will you ever know what there capable of. Someone believed in me enough to make me a hand, me a nobody, then from that i was able to be a RHM, CL and GF. ALL happened because someone gave me a chance. I didn't know anyone, or was a seasoned vet, I simply was given a chance.

PaddyTheWacker also gave a great suggestion as well, have a new blood paired with a seasoned vet as a mentoring role. This helps the new blood learn the ins and outs of not only starting a crew but maintaining it at the highest efficiency possible.

Report Post Tip

Nah.

Report Post Tip

I can't figure out, for the life of me, why people keep posting threads like this - as a new person who came here and saw posts like these in my first days I actually wondered if I wasn't wasting my time joining and trying to become involved - I mean with so many people talking about the corruption, how much the game doesn't rock like it use to, and finally posts like this saying that membership has dwindled and the game is dying... well, it seemed like there might not be much point.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a veteran to groups like this, I would have left.  And I'm sure we lose new and awesome people everyday because of this continued negativity.  Let me just say something for those new people who might be reading this thread:  If the game was so horrible, people who 'hate' what it's become wouldn't be here complaining.  People who really hate something, well, they disconnect from it.  If someone finds something enjoyable, they continue to fight for it and try to build it up.  People who complain but don't stand up to try and make things better (in my experience) are often (not always but often) just people who like having something to complain about.

I encourage everyone to play for a while and make your own decisions.  Discussions like this will continue (despite how bad it looks to have this post be one of the first things new people signing up for the site can see on in the 'recent discussions' box.)

To anyone who is posting discussions like this who actually wants to see the site grow and be strong again, please keep in mind that posts like this could work contrary to that end.  Instead of asking, "is this thing dying" why not ask "what are you doing for the site"  or  "what's something cool you've seen being done"

Sometimes we all need to change our perspective - not ignore failings or flaws, but find ways to fix them rather than glorifying their existence for all the world to see.

Just some food for thought.

Report Post Tip

This one specifically is about the nepotism LuckyLucy. Players like you aren't being given their fair shot at leading because as Lucius as said, for years upon years we've taken the easy path rather than taking a risk on new leaders. It's a repeating trend that spreads through the years. 

Report Post Tip

And I can see where that's an issue.  And it should be talked about - but how we talk about it is important too!  :)  New blood has risks but it brings good stuff.  Discussing that (the risks and benefits) as well as how to implement it on the site (either through players or admin/code) is something that we should do.  But we don't have to be doom and gloom about discussing future changes and improvements.  The perception that the game 'sucks' in it's current state isn't true (speaking as a newish player) it's simply not as good as it could be and we should discuss ways to make that happen.

I think, since we're all here, we all want a GREAT game with opportunities for everyone.  I think even those at the top who don't want to let go of their power (and why should they, they won it fair and square) want a strong game full of active players.  The game is more fun for everyone that way.

I made a suggestion a while back (during disorder) that maybe a limit on being GF could be set so that no single person could be in the seat indefinitely or hold the game hostage.  Yes, that means good GFs will leave before we'd all like, but it also means that ones that are too heavy handed won't be there forever.  AND giving anyone who make it to 'retirement age' a special recognition on the site seems to be a nice way to soften the blow of forced retirement from GF.

Just my thoughts of the moment.

Report Post Tip

Paddythewacker has a very interesting mentor idea. Stick an experienced rhm with a newblood Cl.

The nepotism can extreme at times. I have seen Right Hands die and return only to be once again given the position of Rhm over others who have been working even harder and has showed interest in the position. It really is a cycle of  and on occasions I have been guilty of doing this as well. At the end of the day it's about who you know. MR is a social game that requires you to make friends. 

Report Post Tip

I think the longevity of the upper echelon of players is a separate issue entirely. I think we can solve that with game mechanics. I've been working on an idea personally but I don't have anything but a loose outline with no actual details. We need something that has the outfits brush shoulders in my opinion. Versus the cold war state we seem to idle in during "rebuilding"

The nepotism is strictly player politics though. It'd also require effort to solve. But I can't blame anyone that doesn't want to put forth that effort as someone who is feeling the effects of being "burnt out" myself. 

Report Post Tip

Force Retirement seems a bit extra, I would be offended if I were forced to retire simply because my age. Especially if I had worked to get to my current postion.  Some people spend real money a force retirement would simply be a waste of that money. 

As for new blood LuckyLucy  sitting on the seat as a Crewleader,  all it does is put paranoia into affect with the ppl who dont know this "New" person. Paranoia leads to citys being leveled. You can place an experienced player as a hand and someone new as the CL. The moment you lose trust in that rhm who you sent to guide the new blood. The new blood will die alongside the experienced player. Point im trying to make is new blood , old blood there is no difference at the end. If you want it for the experience sure. But for all new players I do not reccomend taking a dab at CL so quickly , there is a lot to learn around here , being CL is no easy task. Being gfc is no easy task. If people would stop looking at it like it was this conversations about new blood would not exist. New Blood just needs to pace themselves , dont make rash decision you may regret some . But this guid to CL for new blood is nonsense prove what you know and how far you are willing to go. I have seen plenty of others setup first time CLs. Its nothing spectacular and will happen again.      Please forgive bad grammer 

Report Post Tip

I can see your points Termination.  Your grammar was fine.  I totally understood your meaning.  ;)  Thanks for your input!

Report Post Tip

Itd be nice if we actually stuck to our Creed's/mottos/whatever you want to call them. But alas we have a rogue group hell-bent on not separating ooc/ig maybe this is just something we can't escape and we should start working ideas around that perhaps, but I feel that's flawed logic. 

Butthe game not being played in game hinders that. The current set up we have is not the only way to set up a player governed mafia. I think we need to open this up. If most of the game agrees we need change, and we have some valid points coming into talks about the leadership. I think we should look In to changing our perspectives derived from OG mentalities. When the MR of today is not set up the same way. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: This thing of ours dying?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL