Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 23:10:02
Page:  1 
A Killing Principle Started by: KingFlippyNips on Oct 19, '17 21:19

KingFlippyNips came up the podium, kicked a milk crate and stood on top of it, scant of breath but still ready to start a new debate like he would always do at this time of the week...

Waterrr...

One of his subjects brought him a paper cup of water...

Oh! thank you! Now...

Whilst it may have no bearing now back in the old days there used to be a chain of belief that leaders themselves would uphold and that was to keep their guns holstered unless they had a valid reason. Now don't get me wrong, this wasn't every second and not every leader would follow it but most did and it gave everyone a mutual understanding in the fact that they would live a longer life provided they didn't do something stupid or reckless. 

This brought about a stable enough environment for the families but not always for the leaders themselves. Often we would have seen two leaders leading different cities but always at odds with each other, they usually wouldn't of attacked maybe because of the mystery behind where the other stood. There wasn't the same firepower in those days and they didn't have the money for so many bodyguards but that didn't mean much... When it was time to attack, it was time to attack. 

So they would have sat in waiting for the other one to make a mistake before they would do something. Once a war had ended there was usually always a reason. It could have been down to a family members mishap but it was usually still a valid enough argument for war. 

Did we lose this sentiment along the way? Are we so much different from our ancestors? 

Report Post Tip

Sithis looked inquisitively at the odd little fellow speaking before him. Apparently there was a podium just chilling on this street corner, which in itself was odd, but KingFlippyNips needed to stand on a milk crate to see overtop of it, making it altogether laughable.

There was also  the fact that his skin was a sickly yellow color, almost the shade of tequila vomit. But being a man covered from head to toe in tattoos, Sithis was not one to judge. To each their own.

What he had to say, however, had struck a chord with Sithis. He decided to give the man his two cents. Having read his ancestor's journals extensively, Sithis felt he could bring some light to the topic.

You are correct, in the days of old, most leaders would indeed keep their weapons holstered and their hitsquad at bay, unless they had a genuine rock solid reason for war. It was honorable, and following this code gave our thing some kind of structure and order. Leaders were able to focus more on their own cities: teaching new blood, tending to businesses, cultivating future leaders. They didn't have to worry about who might come for them...assuming they hadn't messed up, that is.

Back then, making a move on someone solely for power was considered an atrocity. People were scorned and their children hunted because they made a move solely for power. Our world would turn on them just as quickly and as hard as they would a rogue back then. 

How did power plays shift from being frowned upon to being the norm? I can see several reasons that things are no longer the way they were in this regard.

• First and foremost - Knowledge. We know much much more about the way our world works than our ancestors did. As you stated in your original speech, a leader had no real way of knowing whether or not their attack would succeed back then. Any attack on another city was risking your family's death.  Nowadays in the age of counting kills and BG caps, it is very easy to calculate what it will take to bring someone down.
  • Secondly - Paranoia. It's very hard to trust the guy on the other side anymore. So many people are two faced, backstabbing assholes who will sit down and have a friendly discussion with you touting their loyalty or alliance with you, and then a week later lay waste to your family. More recently still, even fellow CLs of that city or even a CLs godfather are liable to take you out. Loyalty is dead anymore, and city bonds mean next to nothing in the vast majority of cases. Sickening.
  • Thirdly - De-evolution. The average mafiosi is much less civilized and cultured than back then. What I mean by this is that the streets and coffee shops are much less prevalent. Back then a leader's reputation was built on what they said in the streets. The way their family was viewed was based on how his members acted in the streets. Today's criminals are much more interested in robbing 7/11s and killing bums, and could care less what their reputation is. As long as they have the right connections, they need not put any effort into the world.
  • Lastly - Grudges and Stagnation. This is the big one, I think. The past few cycles of our thing have been eerily similar. A lot of the same lines in power, a few groups holding the game by the throat. These groups and/or people have had ancestors at the top before, and the enemies their ancestors made remain their enemies now. Most of us are petty, immature, and unforgiving. We do not let go of our old grudges, and will hold an anscestor's misdeeds over someone's head for eternity. Even to the extent of wiping an entire city just because they reside there.

I could probably keep going, as the reasons contributing to this change are many and complex. But hopefully I've added something helpful to your thought on the matter, Mr. Nips. 

This current crop of leaders could be the ones to change it all, but if trends are anything to believe, they will not be. Those of us who don't have the power to change it can only hope that they do make an effort to change the way things are done and truly make an effort to make the world a better place for EVERYONE, not just them. It is a tall order, and not one many people are capable of, let alone an entire group of leaders.

I suppose we shall see. Here's hoping.

He clapped KingFlippy on the back and strolled off into the shadows.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

It is true that things changed over the years. First, I will have to disagree on some points. Regarding reasons for wars or removals, I have to say that in the majority of cases over the years, there was always a reason given to the public. Ofcourse there were some cases where the leaders of that time and era didn't provide any insight to the community but it wasn't the norm.

Mr. Sithis provides a good amount of the reasons that led to our ways changing. Lets not forget that a good amount of people that live in our world, has never seen those old days and cannot compare. This ofcourse means that those people would never ask or try for a change to the old ways. We don't even know if they would like them, to be fair.

I would also like to stay on some of your points, Sithis. Knowledge does give everyone a better understanding and it does open up some options. But it's ultimately us, that will decide which option to take. If there is will for change, then keeping yourself on track is not that hard. This takes dedication in your idea of change though and sticking to it throughout time. I am not talking just about the leaders of our world though. Change needs a wider part of a community.

Your last point is the real hard problem in my eyes. No matter what change anyone brings, no matter how much time it will be implimented, it only takes one set back to destroy it all and bring our world back to how you describe it. It happened a few years ago with a specfic group of people which forced others to follow that way in order to survive and give them hope at the time.

That said, I also remember fondly the older times. Maybe it's old age that makes memories of the past more likeable but in my mind, those times were truly better. However, change from chaos to order is not easy to bring. And it requires much more time and effort to implimend it than destroying it. It requires a wide acceptance of the majority of the community and not just leaders doing their part. I don't even think that those changes can happen in just one era but I would agree that it worths the try.

Stability, strength and general flourishing of our crews, districts, cities, should be our priority one goal.

Report Post Tip
  1. The dynamic of wars has definetly changed over the years flipping through journals my ancestors found it very fun to have a good old-fashioned bodygaurd waving. Knowing now how you stack up to your enimes and "friends" sets aside the uncertainty and keeping many in check until a real reason was at hand. With the bodygaurd union (cap) we can only employ so much now...however this has seen to a shortening of reigns and young upstarts with fire in their blood able to climb the ladder quickly and challenge the GodFathers I guess its a matter of opinion both with their own positives and negatives I for one prefer the BodyGaurd union decipated. 
  2. This paranoia has gripped some of us to the very soul and its sickening to watch it sometimes. Very hard to find those willing to stand unwaivering on there principles and values. To often has my journals been filled recently with cowardly acts and meassures just to see the next day but you can see it in their eyes it chipping away at their soul. Standing in dark shadows whining but will not lift a finger to be the change. Yet a bullet the the back of ones head when they get a little power because they were getting to big to be "managed". 
  3. Definetly less civilized, Accounts in my journals of pure ignorance and incompetence rewarded simply because they wouldnt be a threat meer target practice for others later. (when digging up personal information and laughing about it in private and using it to black mail others is becoming normal)  definetly a more childish mindset of lately.
  4. Grudges and Stagnation... This also will tie into the previous point of Paranoia. "He shot my great great great grand daddy, he's untrustworthy" to cling to such things long ago is pathetic to say the least. Everyone experience different dynamics and views and reasonings and feelings change with the seasons at times. The person you knew 3 winters ago is possibly a different person and has different views then from the past now. Groups and people weve worked with at one point may no longer be what it was. I personally csn account for my views and ooinions Changing over time people i once had highesteem showed their colors in certain lights people who never would of thought doing this or that however i remove my self and ask does the situation define them after all is said and done would they learn and grow. Ive come to know handle and interact with different people with different gloves. Walking around keeping the axe in your back is probably not the best way to go about things you'll eventually bleed out.
Report Post Tip

King Flippy Nips sat down listening to the wise men speak whilst shaking his head every now and then when one of them paused...

I understand and do agree with everything that has been said, I honestly don't know if it will ever change but I will address one thing that Sithis and Aegon have mentioned and that is grudges and stagnation...

One thing my ancestors have taken great pride in is never continuing on with a grudge, maybe when we first arrived on these shores we would have been like that but over time my lineage has learned to forgive. Forgetting is earned back but I would never be so quick to judge a son on his actions. My thoughts bring me to believe that if I do this, I'm no better than those who bloodline innocent sons and daughters.

We all make choices on instinct. Sometimes we know exactly what the repercussions of our actions will be at the time we make a choice but it doesn't always necessarily mean our son or daughter will make that same choice. 

Can't see it? 

Countless times in this life, we have seen people put the work in to get into positions we never thought they would get into because of certain actions they have done before. We all know this.

That is why I will never judge someones son or daughter because of their forefathers.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A Killing Principle
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL