Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 06:29:07
Page:  1 
Question to all RPers and even Non RPers Started by: Capazzo on Oct 21, '17 22:00

So i was curious where everyone's opinions on this was.

I've asked for both RPers and non RPers because both sides may look at it totally differently.

When you look at 1 day OOC is it like 1 regular day in character or does 1 OOC day entail 2, 3, 4 days or even a month later in character? So I guess what im asking is

A real life day = how many in character days?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Report Post Tip

Good Question.. 

I don't know the day ratio between the two, but i try to follow some continuity on the RP.. But sometimes it just can't be possible.

Therefore It seems like am at multiple places at once.  Time travel, clones, parallel universe's.. god knows... 

Report Post Tip

When I just read what you said... I'm thinking that maybe different people choose their own timeline. Maybe if two characters often meet up they can share a similar timeline but I guess the writer can determine his or her own way of moving forward. 

Would it be better if we all had the same or similar time lines? 

Report Post Tip

I think its impossible for all of us to have the same timelines because ppl write differently. I read a RP where someone said "A FEW DAYS LATER" just in one line a few days were gone.

I wonder if any of the older heads had a norm or formula for this

Report Post Tip

I have role played with a lot of different people, and I think everyone has their own timeline, and I think that can change with each individual as well.  Sometimes you will work on a 24 hour period and it will take you several real life days to finish.  Sometimes days fly by in just a few hours.  I think some of it is personal preference and some of it is taking into account others who are working with you.  For me, I think it depends a lot on my mood. 

Report Post Tip
I usually think of it as 1:1, but that does make the average life of crime rather short, doesn't it? But the game goes by us, so bedtime is bedtime.
Report Post Tip

I think it really depends on the individual character. There's definitely not an exact formula. I remember some characters getting older and older and wind up hobbling around. Other characters stay the same age forever. Ultimately, it's up to the writer to decide. A lot of times it winds up being fluid. 

But I've never thought that one day = one day. It's not realistic at all for someone to become part of the inner circle of a criminal organization in a week and a half, after all. 

Report Post Tip

I've been wondering about this for a looooooooooong time. I made my analysis according to realism of activities and many other factors.

For example: realistically, it's impossible to commit more than 10+ petty crimes without getting too much heat. 

But I digress :) 

To answer the question, I presume that 1 real life day = 1 game week. Because in a real day, you can commit so many crimes, peddle drugs, do stuff in the streets, and so on.

Report Post Tip
In my head that's how I looked at it; one real life day = 5-7 in game days.
Report Post Tip
Wouldn't 1 real life day = 1 game month be fore realistic?

How long does a war last, it'll maybe take one or two day real time. So two months game times?
Report Post Tip

I'd have to say the same as Capazzo, around a week per in game day. Makes it a somewhat realistic amount. 1-1 seems way too short for any kind of story for me personally.

Great question though! I like it.

Report Post Tip

For me personally, in game time is very fluid. Because it's the STORY that matters for me. How much time has passed IN THE STORY? And that tends to be relative.  At any given time I'm typically participating in several threads at once, not all of which are occur at the same time OR progress at the same rate. So I don't put an OOC correlation to it, because real life time just doesn't move the way in-game time does. If I post about a single interaction over the course of several days -- say for a simple business deal -- that thread may take DAYS to completely wrap up but in game only hours have passed. Likewise, if the need arises I may jump a month or more ahead in a given thread when in reality only a few minutes have passed. Saavy?

Report Post Tip

It depends on entirely who you are writing with, I find. I've had RPs that have stretched days that are the "Same day" and I've had a week pass in the day. 

Its one of those things that depends on the character. We had an Anthony Black who grew from age 6-7 to age 20+ in a matter of a month, but based on certain criteria he aged more depending on what went on around him in RP. 

I've seen toddlers played out as toddlers for months, and then when they finally got bored, they got a bit older with their writing. 

Theres nothing set in stone, and the best way to decide is to talk to the people you are writing with. 

Report Post Tip

I role played a child once and aged him a year every week. It was a great experience being able to measure his time line, as it meant I could develop his relationships with people based on the time he was exposed to them. 

Had he reached a ripe old age, I would have had him killed off, too. Commitments like that to a character feel like more of an achievement than being a war monger. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Question to all RPers and even Non RPers
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL