Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 12:54:59
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Frogs, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails Started by: Frankie-Messina on Jan 08, '18 23:25

Frankie sat alone in the sitting room of the hotel room that she and Tony had been sharing since they arrived in Las Vegas.  In the darkness she looked over the latest of Lucky Lucy’s letters.  She had opened the third one just before Jazmine had come over the other day, while she was in the bedroom alone.  She’d meant to share it with Tony, but when she heard Jaz come in ... well, she decided to read it privately and share it later.

Right now, she wished she’d burned the whole damn pile.  Picking up the glass of scotch and emptying it, she had to admit she was well and truly drunk, and the bottle she’d been working on had no answers to give on how to proceed. 

Lucy’s latest request came with no justification, explanation, or description of what would come after she finished the task... and that was what worried her.  She wasn’t opposed to doing what Lucy asked, though honestly it did rank at the very bottom of her list of things she’d ever seek out as a job; but the not knowing how it was supposed to end... that was the REAL issue. 

Women and children, in Sicily, were persona-non-gratis.  No one messed with children and women... well, that wasn’t entirely true, but the ones who did were remembered as some of the worst monsters ever and it was for that reason Frankie had called Teresa upon seeing Lucy's request.  The call revealed that she had every reason to worry about how this mission would end. 

According to Teresa, Lucy Fazzone had lead a group of DiCaprio men and their allies to murder an entire compound of men, women, and even children to ensure her enemies would not come back in the blood of their descendants.  It was an act that even unnerved Teresa DiCaprio, who was not one to flinch at much; and that she was bothered said a great deal - the woman clearly loved her daughter-in-law.  Hell, she justified the act as best as anyone could have; but facts were facts.  This was a woman, Lucky, had slain innocents and now, Frankie couldn't be certain that this mission end with her doing the same.

How was she going to tell Tony that Lucy’s willingness to set upon the least among them, hadn’t ended in Enna with vengeance for her family?  How could she ever do this thing that Lucy’s letter asked of her when she couldn’t be sure how it was meant to end?  If she did this, if she went forward and her family learned of it... or, HELL even if they didn’t, she wasn’t sure she could ever look her Grandfather in the eyes again.  Or, worse, herself for that matter. 

She could hear the bed rattle as Tony woke and climbed out of it, probably to hit the bathroom or get a late night drink.  Frankie refolded the note and hid it, picked up the cigarette out of the ashtray which she’d taken off Pete, and smashed it out.  She rarely smoked, mostly socially, but tonight her nerves were frayed to their edges.  If Lucy had killed women and children in Sicily, then there could be no doubt that she would have given the word to her men that they should kill Frankie’s father if she peaked ahead in the notes. There would be no cheating Lucy out of her desires... and so, it was either do the unthinkable or await the unthinkable - her father's obituary.  Child killer.  Kinslayer.  Frankie did not want to be known as either - how was she to decide?

Looking over the back of the couch at Tony as he exited the bedroom she gave a smile, her hair tasseled and knotted from nightmare plagued sleep, her eyes having rings under them and slightly puffy from lack of sleep.  “The Mountain of Messina emerges... you need a glass of water or something?”  she said looking at the clock and noting that it was now three am.

Report Post Tip

Tony looked around the room as he wondered why Frankie was sitting out here at three am.  He didn't answer as the look in her face told on her.  She was thinking abut something.  Something that was troubling her and he didn't want to pry however her didn't want to leave her sitting there in pain.  He smiled and shook his head know to her question about needing a glass of water.  He walked over to the kitchenette as he noticed that she had been nursing a bottle of scotch. 

He opened a second bottle and poured some into his cup and walked over to an already drunken lady that was stretched on the couch.  He sat by her legs as she sat up he told her to relax and she re-stretched her legs over his lap.  He would have offered her a drink but he needed to fill her out.  Without looking at her he smiled as he took a lager sip of his drink without looking at her.

You want t tell me why the woman that I' about to marry is setting in the dim light at three am and why she looks stressed? 

He sat there for a moment but she was hesitant to answer him which rarely happens.  He took another sip from his glass then turned and looked at her.  He could tell she was looking for the right words to say.  Whatever it was he knew it was something that she didn't want to tell him because it would either hurt him or anger him.  He exhaled and put his glass on the end table.  He turned and looked at her as he moved closer towards her.   

Again I'm going to be your husband, when we were kids you never held back what you needed to tell me something.  You never feared me and I know you don't fear me now.  So what are you withholding from me that you think may hurt me?   

Tony sat there waiting as she took an deep breath and looked him in the eyes.  He could see that she gathered her thoughts and she was ready to speak but he braced himself for the worst.  He was hoping she wasn't going to break his heart that she wasn't planning on leaving him.  To have found love and lost it is one thing but to have found her again an lose her is not something he can except.  He reached down and picked up his glass and looked forward closing his eyes as she began to speak.

Report Post Tip

She wet her lips.  "Teresa... the other day I told you I was talking with her when Jasmine came over?"  she nodded.  "She didn't call me.  I called her and, I talked to both her and Rita.  I had to ask for some thoughts on Lucy.  I know I could trust their opinions and insight, she's ... hell even at her age, Rita's one of the sharpest women I know and if she'd been a man she would have been the Don of your family without a doubt in my mind."

She picked up the drink and said, "They told me what Lucy did to the Don of Enna."  She took a drink and exhaled the afterburn.  "I don't know if I can keep doing the things she wants me to do.  I... I don't know if I have it in me, Tony... maybe... maybe I was wrong about who I am?  All these years, I just... maybe I did make the Mafia into some fairytale version of itself.  But I'm scared.  If don't do what she says, how she says it, when she says to do it - what if I never find him again?  What if she isn't lying and her people will kill my father for me failing to carry on her legacy - whatever the fuck that means?"

Report Post Tip

Tony looked at her and then took her hand into his. 

Lucy letters are not controlling us if there is something you can not accept then we will leave it be.  Know one would know if you read them all at once.  The death of the Don in Enna had to take place.  If your Grandfather was killed would you not avenge him?  If I were killed would you not avenge me? or I you?  Lucy parents were killed in front of her because of him they took all she loved at an early age and that made her who she was that made her what she was.

Frankie she didn't have anyone, you have your grandfather, friends if you will allow me; you have me.  I will help you save your father we will find him together.  Now that tells me you opened the next letter.  It also tells me that you are still hesitant to tell me what she is requesting. 

Tony took another sip finishing his scotch then looks at her. 

If its something that is that tough sweetheart then you take your time and when you are ready then tell me.

He looked at the clock on the wall it was fifteen minutes till four and he was starting to hurt because the woman that he loves will not release her concerns to him.  When a woman is afraid to reveal herself to the man she loves it means that he has failed her in someway.  He knows this from his own mother and her words of wisdom on love.  Tony took a deep breath and moved her legs so he could stand and walk over to the radio.  He walked back over to her and bent down on one knee.

I'm here and I'm not leaving you ever again. 

He kissed her forehead and smiled as he stood she took his hand looking up at him.

Report Post Tip

Frankie sighed and pulled out the letter.  "I'm only hesitant because I'm a jealous ..."  She cut herself off.  "I'm a fool who doesn't want to see some woman I can't punch in the face toying with you.  Me, that's one thing, but you - you're mine."  She smiled and got up to get herself more to drink, wobbling a little as she went.

The letter reads:

Well done Frankie!

Now, you know what it looks like after someone makes the choice to turn on those who protect and provide for them.  The faces of those who are left behind after disloyalty are hollow, empty masks of pain that – no matter how you provide for them – they will never be the same again.  I know all too well that haunted look, it greets me each day that I’ve woke ever since I was a child.

I chose you, Frankie, for these tasks because I believe that you understand where I’m coming from in time.  Each task I ask of you is helping you to see a larger picture and the true problem with this thing of ours.  As you come to accept this truth, I know that there is a very good chance you will prove worthy of my legacy in this thing of ours. 

I hope you’ve been continuing to reach out to leaders as I suggested.  By now you’re well and truly in the sights of those who hold power in the United States.  If you’re working as hard as I suspect, if Tony works along side of you, then no doubt you’re already gathering something of a street crew and so; we must step up things in preparation for what comes next.

I want you to go meet with someone.  This mission is dangerous.  There will be no pushing yourself through this one like a bull in a china shop; you can’t go in guns blazing or torturing those who do not do what you want.  This will require you to be subtle and smart.  If you do this wrong, you will fail to get the information you so desperately desire.  Threatening this man with his life, that will not work.  If you doubt me, ask Tony how far men who have little left to will go to maintain their honor especially if it is all they have left.  They will choke on their honor and die before breaking Omerta.  Especially Sicilians, like this one.

Barbaro Liatto from Palermo now lives in Los Angeles, California.  He is a shell of the former Mafioso he used to be, in so many ways; but what you need to know is that he’s in hiding.  He’s in hiding from your Grandfather and a visit from you will be seen first as you coming to kill him and then... maybe, you can convince him that you are his way to get back in with your family... after all, you could well be its future (here in the US at least.)  You will go to him and ask him to tell you about the event which caused him to fall out of favor with your Grandfather. 

Now... I know that you could call home and ask about this man and the incident he’s affiliated with, certainly it will cross your mind when Liatto refuses to speak about it, but I can not stress strongly enough how very bad that would be for you and your family.  Your family has spent a great deal of money (and blood) burying the details of this event.  They simply want it (and him) to disappear.

Do NOT ask the DiCaprio family to do the looking for you.  It will put all of their lives in grave danger.  Generational blood fueds are caused over far less than what is involved in The Alcantara Incident.  This does not concern the DiCaprio Family ... unless you are married to Tony at the time you read this letter.  In which case, I would simply urge you against asking his family to become involved, as it would greatly strain what is a powerful alliance of two families.  It is hardly worth all the trouble you would create especially when you have a way to learn the truth right here in your hands. 

There are things which happen in life that men want to forget about, things so painful that the mere mention of it causes physical pain and suffering... this is one such thing in your Grandfather’s life.  Calling this shame back up and speaking to him about it, will bring your family no peace, only sorrow.  You, however, may yet find a way to learn of what happened that day – and resolve it for yourself and Mr. Liatto... if you do as I ask.

Go to Liatto’s house.  The address is on the slip of paper in the envelope you just opened.  He is living in Las Angeles as I said so take protection... dress well.  Act as though you come from your Grandfather’s hand... and tell him the time has come for him to be a man and tell you what happened that day at Alcantara.

He will refuse.  I can not predict what he might reveal in refusing but the point isn’t to get an answer here... while he is distracted and distraught over arguing with you (and he will be) Tony should find something personal that he can take.  Something small that will tie Liatto to a crime if it were to be found on the scene. 

Once Tony has what you need, you may go. 

Then, you will seek out Jonathan Winters.  His address is also enclosed in the envelope as well.  He is an FBN agent currently stationed in LA and watching over Liatto and a few other minor Cosa Nostra members.  He’s recently become a father, a son.  His wife takes the boy to the park every day to play.  She has no protections.  She is a housewife without a gun or even basic defense skills... snatching the boy while she talks with other mothers should be a simple matter.

Take the boy.  Only then can you open the next letter for further instructions.

You know too much now Frankie.  There can be no stopping now that we’ve reached this point.  If you do not go forward with this thing I’ve asked, if you read ahead in my letters – those working for me will know. 

If you disregard my warnings the next time you see your father will be in Sunday’s New York Times Obituaries.  PLEASE do not forget – some things are larger than the both of us.  What you have begun... you can not walk away from.  One daughter to another, I would have killed anyone – done whatever was asked of me for this chance you’re being given to see your father one last time and I want this for you.  Don’t ignore my warnings.  You’ll never forgive yourself.

Remember – Tony.  Lean on him.  Trust him.  You’re not alone, no matter what you feel right now.

Good Luck.

-Don DiCaprio

Report Post Tip

Tony read the letter it left him peechless and lost he looked at Frankie then he pulled her into his arms which wasn't easy because she was tipsy.  Lucy again left him anger with these letter.  She was always cryptic which frustrated Frank at times and now him.  He didn't want Frankie changing her values he didn't want Frankie becoming a Lucy.   Frankie had a sweetheart and she was Sicilian born and raised what Tony was seeing was American gangster with much less honor.   He needed her to keep her ways the old ways of true Mafioso. 

Holding her all he could think of is why couldn't see this in Lucy, why couldn't he see what she was truly like and capable of.  He wished that he never came to America that would have been married and people of honor living in a villa with running horses on their land, money and power.  Even a little Tony or Frankie running around yelling no and please. 

Now Frankie was stuck recuing her father by kidnapping a kid or saving a kid and low life and losing her Father.  Tony knew that Lucy lost her papa at a early age and that is what started her course in the life she lived.  Tony smelled her hair and the scent of her and it was beautiful.  He was going to do whatever she needed him to do.  Tony remember the vendetta that he and Frank committed when Frank killed a young made Mafioso who was yet still a child. 

Tony killed with Frank and Lucy during that blood bath and he should have realized that she was just making a name for herself or helping the Dicaprio's regain power in the old country.  It was a plan that came about not by planning but pure fate and hate.  They did many things that week that made the name DiCaprio one to terror connected to death  in the worst ways. This was not going to happen to Frankie's family.  Looking at her he asked her.

What away do you want to play this out?  We can work a plan in the morning to do this right.  I am willing to do whatever you need and we will do this together and I'm not taking no for an answer.  We will get to the end and you will be with your father.  Now come lets get you to bed and in the morning we will rack are brains and create a plan. 

Tony swoops her up in his arms and carries her into the bedroom.  He lays her on the bed as she smiles and then closes her eyes.   He then getting onto the bed himself as he holds her close as she falls asleep.  His thoughts are on the tasking and how he can avoid a blood bath and ensure that the kid stay's safe and Liatto tells everything he knows immediately.

Report Post Tip

Frankie woke back up.  

The first time she'd had a horrible hang over and her body was utter exhaustion personified, but Tony had woke her most pleasantly.  She smiled thinking of their early morning hours.  She'd fallen back to sleep after, not knowing if he had done so as well, but suspecting he hadn't by the delicious smells in the air.  Was that warm pastries?  He must have called Cici to ask her over for cooking and cleaning early... or... Frankie rolled over and looked at the clock to see that it wasn't morning, it was the afternoon!

"Tony!"  She said jumping out of bed, grabbing her house coat and heading out into the main room.  "Tony?!?"

"Mr. DiCaprio is out."  Cici, a kindly old Italian woman who Tony had hired for housekeeping and cooking, said.

"Did he say where he was going?"

"No.  Only you should wait here for him - shower... eat... try to relax?"

Frankie sighed.  "Thanks Cici."  With that she went back into their room and headed for the shower.  Turning on the water, she stripped down.  Last night was the time for worry and fear - today, action.  Steam rolled out of the shower almost instantly, hot water helped her think.  Inside she put a hand on the wall and let the spray crash over her skin.  Inhaling deeply, she steadied herself.  Lucky Lucy DiCaprio was a Don, a brilliant woman to be sure... but not beyond making mistakes.  So, she just had to find the holes.

She'd considered opening the next letter.  Could Lucy's men know if she did?  How?  How can she be sure they'd know?  Maybe she'd been going about this the wrong way.  Instead of chasing the mystery that Lucy wanted her looking at... maybe she needed to read the woman's words closer.  How could they know if I read ahead?  How?

Frankie put her head on the ceramic tiles and let the water cascade down her hair and watched it swirling the drain at her feet.  How? Is someone close watching me for her?  No.  She couldn't account for ever moment of my day.  There would be no way to know unless Tony was her eyes... and no, he wouldn't.  He couldn't.  He'd never kill my father to complete someone's laundry list of vendettas.  So how?  Unless... could I be the tell?  

Frankie lifted her head.  The letters.  I'm how they'd know if I read ahead.  These final letters must contain some information that would make ME act different! The warnings not to go to my family are because of ME not my Grandfather.  If I called home, then perhaps the people watching me would know I knew too much!  

"Bigger than the both of us.  Which means it has nothing to do with either of us..."  She said softly, remembering Lucy's words as another phrase came to mind.  Was she remembering it exactly right?  She had to check!  She turned off the water and jumped out, grabbing her robe she went back into the bedroom and (drying her hands first) she opened the letter.  Frankie stood there rereading it as she dripped all over the carpet.

The bedroom door opened as Tony came in.  She turned to look at him.  He had a dozen long stem red roses for her and the smile of a man who was appreciating his naked fiancee dripping wet - at least, until he saw the look on her face.  "What is it?"  He asked, concerned, putting the flowers down on a small table near the door.

"She says 'one last time.'"  Frankie's voice was a mix of excitement at having found a clue and fear of what it might mean.  "She said..."  Frankie looked down at the paper and read, "'One daughter to another, I would have killed anyone – done whatever was asked of me for this chance you’re being given, to see your father one last time; and I want this for you.  Don’t ignore my warnings.  You’ll never forgive yourself.'"

She looked up to Tony, "It's not Lucy doing this..."  Her gaze became distant as it all started coming together.  Why had Lucy looked for her?  Easy.  She wanted to send Tony out of her life after they clearly had some sort of fling or affair... either before or after Frank's death.  Frankie supposed the later because Tony would never have betrayed the man he called brother.  Which means Lucy was hurting and Tony cared for her... and they both did something they regretted.  Lucy wanted an easy out, a way to send him away... and Frank had told her about Tony's old flames at some point?  No that seemed like a stretch.  Why would she ask her husband about Tony's old girlfriends before she had a reason.  There had to be someone else who...

"Vito?"

"What about him?"  Tony asked.

"He was with you and Frank in Chicago?"

"He didn't come until shortly before Frank passed, but yes.  Why?"  Tony narrowed his eyes.

Frankie sighed and looked down.  "She lied.  It wasn't Frank who told her about me.  It was Vito."  She shook her head.  "I've been so ready to believe everything she's said to us in these letters... but of course she'd lie to protect anyone involved who was still alive.  She wouldn't tell a stranger the truth, and she wouldn't want the living who helped her set this shit up to be on the hook for it."

"You think Vito is involved?"

"She must have told Vito she slept with you or was going to... and she needed a way to send you away that didn't look bad.  So, Vito told her about our relationship and she called... she called and talked to my grandfather about reuniting us here in the United States.  That must have been it.  He wanted me to marry and leave behind all these thoughts of being Mafioso so badly that he might have done it.  That explains how she knew that my Grandfather had kept us apart.  He must have told her the truth.  She called him wise and protective..."

"Wait... protective?  I hadn't considered, but she is right. He is protective.  Overly protective of you really; he doesn't see you as a mafioso... he'd never send you alone."  Tony tensed and becoming more on alert, walking casually over to the hotel window to peak outside.  

Frankie's mouth fell open.  "She told us!" 

She scrambled to pull out the earlier letters.  Opening the first she read aloud, "'I offer you one final time to walk away and go home.  One last chance to exit this life and return to a place where you will have a family and a possibility for simple joys – instead of a list of liabilities which will be used against you at every turn.  I make this offer out of respect for your elderly Grandfather the honorable Don Messina.'"  

Frankie shook her head as Tony walked away from the window, "And two paragraphs later she calls him a prick.  How did I miss this?  She says... 'this a terrible place for a woman to find herself without one person upon whom she can lean utterly.'  She's telling me I can only trust you!"

Heart racing and her breath quickening, she continued to read the page, "She says... 'if you do not do things in the order I have asked or EXACTLY AS I ASK then you will miss your opportunity for these riches untold to come into your care'  and 'When you finish my requests, you will be taken to him.  But, deviate from what I ask of you and his very life hangs in the balance.  Tell anyone who was not sworn to me in life – by blood – what I ask of you... he dies.'  Fuck!  Tony, re you hearing what I'm hearing?"

"It's a contract."  Tony held out his hand and offered to take the first letter to look at it again.  

Frankie passed the letter and picked up the second as she sat down on the foot of the bed.  "There's what's written on the page... and then there's her real message; the one that has to be understood.  She wanted you here with me not just because she wanted us to be happy, but because if I had been alone I wouldn't have known who she really was!  I would have just thought her some twisted fuck and never known the truth."

Tony's expression grew dark.  "I know what you're thinking."  He said kneeling down in front of Frankie.  "He wouldn't do this to you."

"She's the fixer."

Tony shook his head, not wanting to believe it.

"She's not the person paying me to do all this, Tony."  Her eyes flashed with anger, "I know it because I'm Grandfather's payment to Lucy for HER services!  He wouldn't send me to this country to a stranger without a good reason - certainly not without being paid to do it... he could have sent me to you years ago for free but NO... he did it now and why?  Because Lucy wanted me and he wanted someone dead... really dead.  Each letter has been about her preparing us... giving us details that only you'd be able to help me puzzle out... preparing us for the last letter - the thing she didn't live long enough to do for my Grandfather!"

Tony sighed.  He finally had his answer, "The reason she didn't send me to you right away; because she had to know the truth before she'd murder someone's father in cold blood."

She looked at Tony, throat choked with tears, "My father is alive and the only reason he wasn't with me all these years is because he ran from our family or was exiled."  

Tony puled Frankie into his arms.  He held her for a long while in silence.  Eventually she muttered, "Your father is dead to me... all these years of my Grandfather saying that and I only heard what I wanted to hear."

Tony closed his eyes and kissed the top of her head.  Speaking into her hair he whispered, "THAT'S her legacy.  It's why she's helping you."

"What?"

"The last letter... it'll take us to your father, just like she says... to say goodbye.  She must have agreed to finish what your grandfather hadn't been able to do; either because your Grandfather couldn't kill his only son or because your father has friend hiding and protecting him here in the US.  Lucy made a name for herself in Enna as being ruthless to traitors.  He knew she'd find him.  Especially after how Frankie died... at the hands of a traitor."  Tony looked over at Frank's sniper rifle case full of mementos of his family - Lucy and Katy.  Frank hadn't put those things in there... Lucy had.  It was a message and he was now receiving it loud and clear.  Her words from his final letter echoed in his memory.

Pulling away from her, it was time for Tony to share soemthing.  He brought out Lucy's last letter to him.  He re-read a small excerpt aloud for Frankie to hear, "'I've asked her some very difficult things.  Unfair of me really, never having known her.  I've called on old debts that were not mine, but became mine after Frank's death.  She can not refuse me.  Even now she's very likely trying to think her way out of it... this task I ask of her; but if she is as honorable as I hear - she will not refuse a blood debt. She will need someone like you to help her or she will most assuredly die.'"

"Blood debts?"  Frankie said wiping away her tears.

"I thought she meant that she'd manipulated you with a blood debt... but she was purposefully deceptive.  She knew when I looked at your letters I'd figure it out that there was no mention of debts in your letter.  Probably assumed I'd immediately start trying to track down people who owed Frank favors and put it all together sooner."

"What debts of Frank's would she have used?"

"Favors owed to Frank in Sicily might have loosened lips about what your Father did.  Those owed in the US could have helped her find where he is currently. My guess is that your Grandfather wanted your father dead for whatever happened during The Alcantara Incident, since she doesn't want you calling home about.  Either way, Lucy wouldn't kill your father without believing what your Grandfather told her.  Which means that your Father is guilty of whatever your Grandfather thinks he did."

"Are you sure?"

"If you had asked last night - I'd have said no.  After reading that most recent letter of yours, I wasn't sure I ever knew Lucy at all.  It just wouldn't be like her to engage in kidnapping... despite what she did at Enna.  That wasn't her.  That was rage.  It was pain but it wasn't who she was."  He shook his head, "But, now that the picture is becoming more complete, I am confident that she would never have agreed to all of this if she didn't think have proof he was guilty.  She'd never leave you without your father unless he did something worthy of a bullet.  That's probably the true reason for the delay in reuniting us.  She was verifying what your grandfather said and making these arrangements just in case she couldn't repay him for allowing us to be reunited."

"But why?"

"My guess is the most simple answer:  she didn't want the her debt to your Grandfather falling on Katy later.  But it also has to do with who she is and her losses.  Like she said in the letter to you... she would have given anything for a chance to say goodbye to her father.  She's not threatening to kill your dad if you don't do as she asks... she's pointing out that if you avoid doing what must be done, her hitmen will.  She wants you to have a chance to learn the truth and say goodbye... but not at the cost of having her own daughter begin life indebted to the Don of the Messina Family."

The two of them sat quiet for a long while and then Frankie stood up and went to her closet and began to pull out clothes, "So - if we're right, the whole story goes like this:  You and Lucy had... a moment.  Whatever it was... and she regretted it.  She went to Vito asking him for some way to dissuade you from perusing her any further."

Tony was looking at the floor.  Clearly he didn't like discussing this part of his past and wanted it to disappear forever, to be buried with the woman he once cared for.

"Vito told her about me and gave her the means to contact my Grandfather.  My Grandfather, fed up with trying to marry me off and worried that I would die an old spinster ... never giving him sons to carry on the family name ... agrees to send me to Lucy so she can reunite us.  One condition: she closes out old family business for him."

"Your Father."

Frankie nods.  "Lucy, whatever her reasons, agrees and I'm put on a ship to New York within days.  I arrive in New York and find only a cheap apartment and a small allowance for my survival.  No Lucy.  For a month."

"In the mean time,"  Tony cut in, "Lucy was searching for your Father and calling in favors which were owed to Frank in Sicily so she could learn what your father had been mixed up in and if he was deserving of being murdered." 

"Alcantara."  She said the river's name with no small amount of frustration.  "Whatever that was."

"She sets up these letters," Tony nods to the letters on the bed.  "In an effort to make sure that Katy won't be on the hook for the debt if she dies... and ironically she finishes putting it all together just before she was killed."

Frankie, now dressed, turns to Tony and nods seeming to agree.

"So," She said flatly, "The last letter will be instructions on how and where to kill my father."  She wet her lips which were dry from the Vegas heat.  "That's why she said I was going to get a chance to say goodbye."  Frankie said these words far more calmly than she expected. "So... do we read all the letters now... take our chances that no one knows that we know or do follow Lucy's lead and keep going forward?  Or maybe something else entirely?  I need some input and sound advice from someone not emotionally tied to all this or I may board the next ship home to Sicily and violently shake the answers out of an old man, leaving Lucy's hitmen to do the work for us."

Report Post Tip

Tony eyes were locked on Frankie he wanted to free her of these letters he wanted to go back in time and instead of saving Lucy let her perish.  He stood silent then he repented at that thought.  Frankie father did something bad and Tony doesn't recall much about Frankie's father.  No one in the old country brought up the subject.  Maybe it wasn't talked about out of respect for the old man.  He was a Don and in the old country its frown on to discuss private family business.  He walked over to Frankie and sat next to her on the bed as they continued to talk. 

Frankie's comment about Vito telling Lucy and her caused Tony to recalled how Lucy knew about Frankie.  His head dropped as it wasn't anything he did intentionally.  It was him talking about a lost love at that time.  He wanted t hold Frankie but was afraid that she would push him away. 

It was Vito, Frank and Myself that told Lucy about you.  When I first came here I was depressed and Frank knew that I would not stay long.  He was brought my brother over with the hopes of bringing my father before he died and you.  Frank told me that he could not get permission to bring you because you were in hiding and it might cost you your life to come out f hiding.  You grew up with us and we told many stories about our growing up.  You were a major part of my life.  The first year I walked around with your picture in my pocket. 

Tony walked over to his side of the bed and opened up the draw to the nightstand.  Pulling out a large bible he opened it up to where the picture was and showed her.  It was showed a picture of Frankie at the age of fifteen walking home from church.  Then he went into the closet and pulled out a bag that had a picture of him and her after her first hit it was in a gold picture frame she was thirteen with pig tails.  He carried those pictures with him for over ten years. 

Lucy must have been paying attention to those conversations.  It seems that I have caused this problem myself.  I wont lie I think we should pen the letters after we send Cici home and we do it here close the curtains and I will send Cici home, lock the doors and turn on the radio.  If anyone knows it would be one of us.  However if you do decide that you want to go back to Sicily I will go also.  I would like to check up on my brother and Katy and visit my parents grave with fresh flowers.

Tony walk out of the bedroom and greeted Cici they talked for a few minutes.  Tony reached into his pockets and paid her for the week then walked her out of the building to the bus stop but when he saw Pete pulling into the parking lot he called him over and asked him to drive Cici wherever she needed and then home.  Pete followed his orders and Cici was happy for the help.  

Tony returned to the room and locked the door behind him.  Then he turned on the radio loud enough for anyone walking by to hear without hearing Frankie and himself talking low enough that they can talk freely without yelling.  He closed the curtains to the windows and then went an grabbed two glasses and a bottle f scotch.  He entered the room as Frankie closed the blinds Tony saw that she also had the picture frame with the picture of them together on her side of the bed sitting on her nightstand and his other picture was in a silver frame on his nightstand. 

Frankie smiled at him as she was sitting on the bed with a black bag next to her.  Tony smiled back and commented that he liked the silver frame but wanted to know why she had the other picture on her side.  Shanking her head she told him that he looked cute in his new suit standing next to her in the picture. 

Report Post Tip

Frankie took a deep breath and opened the next letter and scooched over to be beside Tony so they could both read together.

Frankie,

I'm glad you chose to do what I asked.  I know how worried you must be right now, doing morally questionable things that contradict the way you were raised, and your faith; but obedience to those above you in this thing of ours is absolutely necessary... as you will come to understand very soon. When we act in our own interests, instead of that of our family, tragic results are almost always guaranteed.

The baby boy you have, keep him well cared for (though I suspect you would do no less, even if I had not said as much) you will not have him with you very long.  By now half the state police and FBN are looking for that child.  The heat will be unbearable soon, so we have no time to dilly dally.  It's time to go back to revisit Liatto. 

There is a phone booth, not a block away from his home.  Give him a call from there & have your people keep a tail on him.  Tell him that you know he's taken the agent's boy, and that while your family has done some pretty dark things in the past, in Sicily; he has crossed a line that should never have been crossed and brought danger to all who are Cosa Nostra.  Now, he will pay dearly for that error.  He will attempt to assure you that it's not true - hoping to throw the FBN off... do not give him the chance to make these pleas.  Issue your threat and simply hang up.

Liatto knows the FBN are listing in on his phone, and with what you said he has to know that they will be coming for him soon.  He also knows now that you aren't playing games.  He will have to flee; but to go anywhere that he could ever hope to be safe from your Grandfather or the FBN, he'll need serious cash.  He only has one stash of that, so far as my people could discover: the money from the Alcantara Incident. 

As soon as he leaves, the baby can be safely placed into his home, the FBN should arrive for it shortly - tuck away the item you took from his home into the baby's things to make it seem as though he'd been handling the child and involved with it directly.  If you must leave someone to keep eyes on the baby, do so, but they need to be someone who can be trusted to keep their trap shut if the FBN happens to nab them.  The kidnapping of a FBN Agent's child will not be something they'll be very forgiving of.  

Next, follow Liatto and confront him at the location. He will do one of two things... bargain with you or try to shoot his way out.  If he's willing to bargain, tell him you want to discuss Alcantara.  Get him talking and learn all you can about what really happened there... despite how cut and dry it seems to me at the moment, I could be wrong.  I've never shot a man who didn't deserve it - so I refuse to leave you with orders to do otherwise. 

What you do with Liatto after he squeals is purely at your discretion - but I strongly suggest bringing a change of clothes, just in case.  It is my working theory that Liatto won't just be there to pick up 1/2 of the Alcantara take... I suspect he has it's all of it, either through treachery (no honor among rogues) or perhaps there is more to what happened on the banks of Alcantara than anyone I spoke to knows. 

In either case, I didn't think that Liatto would tell you the truth if he did steal from your father - nor did I think he'd tell you the truth if he framed him for murder.  Your his only child and whatever happened at Alcantara cost you and your father years together.  As Liatto is a coward & would fear your wrath, he would only have told you lies - if you didn't catch him red handed which was why we needed to kidnap the FBN Agent's child.  We had to smoke out the rat and send him scurrying to the evidence... it was a desperate ploy, but I think that it was a necessary one.

After your call he knows his time is running out.  Either the Messina family or the FBN will bring him down and because he thinks he can escape you both with the help of his money... he'll go after it.  And because he's greedy as the day is long, my guess is that he'll be packing up every penny of it rather than a small portion.  Which, is exactly what we want him to be doing when you walk in on him.  It should be a sum of over 10,000,000 American Dollars.  That's how much went missing that day at the Alcantara river in Sicily. 

If the money he picks up adds up to that amount (or close to it, because the chances are that he's spent some by now) then you need to question him about another topic... and this one may require Tony's help as Liatto will no doubt clam up utterly once you start asking questions:  Ask him how your father didn't end up living comfortably off his half of that money with is lover here in the United States.  Ask him, why it is that he's now in the New York State Penitentiary for murdering a woman he was willing to give up everything to be with.

Your Grandfather is convinced that your father and his lover, Louise DiSalvo, along with Liatto - murdered the guardians of that cash on the banks of the Alcantara river and took it with them to America to start a new life.  Your Grandfather believes that your father murdered his kinsmen, abandoned you, and ran off to live a live of comfort with 'his whore' but ... Louise DiSalvo was murdered shortly after arriving in the United States and your father is still in a cell in New York for that crime.  And despite all the reasons why he might have told the truth before now... he remains silent.  

Since you're reading this version of my letter, and not a revised one, my people inside the prison never got back to me with his side of the story before I died.  So, I honestly can't say if your father is a traitor to his family and a murderer of his kinsmen - but it's possible Frankie.  For that I'm so sorry.  However... Liatto knows the truth.  If he thinks he might be able to buy or talk his way out of your need for revenge; he might tell you the truth (or at least his version of it.)  Again, I can't tell you what to do with Liatto... but you deserved the right to find the money and to confront Liatto yourself - more than anyone else alive.

The reason I couldn't just send you to Liatto deals with my agreements with your Grandfather... and the constant eyes of the FBN.  You can't walk into a prison and have a sit down with your father without bringing attention to yourself.  They know who your father and Grandfather are Frankie... if you hope to keep a legit front, with these government suits off your back, the front door could not be an option.  We needed to be creative.  Finding Liatto, the cash, and making him willing to talk - it was going to take time and I sincerely hope you don't hate me for making you walk these paces.

By now you probably have guessed what is in my final letter.  Finish Liatto before opening it.  Let's handle one thing at a time, shall we?  If Liatto reveals my suspicions are wrong much of what I wrote in the final letter can be disregarded so reading ahead at this point... it's moot. All that matters now is the truth so you can close the door upon the past and begin your walk towards a bright future.

As to the promise of riches for fulfilling my requests ... the $10,000,000 is yours.  Your grandfather's wedding (and button gift) to you Frankie.  You have his blessing to marry Tony, if you haven't already asked for it.  He hopes the $10,000,000 will help you begin a branch of the Messina family here in the US - to be the woman you always wanted to be, the woman he was secretly teaching you to become (you seriously didn't think he failed to realize you were spying on all those meetings, did you?)  But... the cash is conditional Frankie.  Conditional upon this matter being resolved - several Dons in Sicily demand it and your Grandfather can stall them no longer now that you're a woman who has left his household.  I have thoughts on what might be done.  Plans.  First, finish up with Liatto and come back to read the final letter once you're done.

Believe me when I say this Frankie - the only thing harder than facing the past, is killing it.  However, when it is done, you will finally be free of it.  You will find that the future is so much the brighter and so full of joy than you can imagine now.  For a time, I had that with Frank and my daughter... may it be that you and Tony have many years together and your home be blessed with children too.

But for now, there is work to be done Soldier.  Good luck, and I'll see you in the final letter.

Don DiCaprio.

Frankie looked to the final envelope but didn't open it right away.  Instead she looked to Tony to see his reaction, to hear his thoughts, if he had any.

Report Post Tip

Tony sat next to Frankie putting his arm around her as they read the letter together.  He had worries when Lucy spoke of the police and FBN hot on there trail should they kidnap this kid.  Kidnapping a kid can get you killed or placed in prison for life after the Llndbergh kidnapping a few months ago.     The thought of Frankie killed by the law or put in prison for the rest of her life wasn't something he was willing to risk.  He paused there and pulled her closer and whispered to her.

I'm not willing to put you in that kind of risk.  We can go about this in another way.  I will not lose you a second time. 

Looking into her eye as his heart started pounding faster with each beat he wanted to go back in time and save her father and save Lucy's and Frank's parents to prevent all this from happening. Her father then these letters would not mean a thing.  Lusy's parents them she would have grown up to be Franks wife and they could have been lawyers or doctors together.  Franks parents so that he would have never returned to Sicily and Tony would have never become close to him and would have had a simpler life and married Frankie.   He didn't want to lose the one good thing in his life that made him feel clean.   Frankie nodded then she started reading the rest of the letter .  He understood she wanted to know it all so he read with her.    When he realized that her father was in the NY state prison again Tony stopped reading to tell her.

I have a few prison guards on the take they help me finish off rats that in up in prison and they help me protect friends of ours on the inside.   I can get you in to see your father but I recommend you don't tell him who you are or I can go in and meet him and get some details.  I can have the guards protect him and make his life a little better until we get him out.  I can get that money together babe it will take us a minute and I'm sure that my brother can talk the Dicaprio's into speaking on your grandfathers behave to allow us time to pay back the money that went missing with interest; giving us time so don't rush into anything lets think this out completely. 

Again Frankie nodded she knew that Tony was worried about her and nothing else.  She couldn't be upset about it after all every woman wants a man brave enough to admit that they love their girl.  However she wanted to finish this letter and he keeps stopping to state what she was already thinking.  Tony realized that from her silence but he didn't care its better to state the obvious then to say nothing and miss a chance to let her know that he loves her.

After reading the last part Tony was silenced as he looked at Frankie.   Now none of this made since to him yet it all made since to him at the same time.  Tony was lost as to why Lucy was doing this for Frankie and why does Frankie have to jump through so many hoops.   Tony could have made arrangements  to help free her father; hell Lucy could have made a call to get him out before Frankie even arrived.  Why did her grandfather keep it a secret that his son was alive just in jail.   Why didn't he get his son out and defend his son's honor.  The old man had been friends with both clans of the Decaprio's and several other families he could have spoken to them and bought forgiveness for his son.  

Tony now wanted answer just as much as Frankie but not at the risk of Frankie's life or her future.  Tony was committed to her but not this quest.   He was only in it to safeguard her.  He has had plans on marrying Frankie for over fifteen years and nothing was going to stop that now that she just walked back into his life.  He looked at her wanting to hear her voice on the letter and to see if she was going to read the next letter or devise a plan to circumvent this plan and still recue her father and grandfather.   

It time for you to set back and think this out.  Tell me what do you want to do and I'll agree to help as long as it doesn't jeopardize you.  If that's to much I suggest we read the next letter or if you want to work this part out then I will send Joe to the prison while I talk to my connections and secure your father release if possible or at least get him moved out of population and into a secure part of prison where can eat good and sleep good.  Maybe a few conjugal visits.    

Frankie sighed then looked away for a moment to gather her thoughts before she could whisper a word Tony was already looking at her with fear for the first time.  Fear in the man that never showed that emotion.  She knew that it could only be the only thing at he had told her so many times that the only thing he ever feared was losing her.  She touched his faces and gave him a slight smile to let him know he would never lose her.  Then he gave a sad smile back as she knew he was hurting with this dilemma that was placed on her by his former boss. 

Report Post Tip

Frankie listened to Tony speak.  His ideas (like his emotions) were all over the place.  He was never like this in the past. Clearly, he was trying to save her from frustration, pain, and loss.  She loved him for it, but she couldn’t rightly say what she wanted to do with all this information.  Frankie took hold of, and squeezed Tony’s hand reassuringly.

“That my father might have been involved in stealing money from his family... probably killing some of our family to do it... it doesn’t sound anything like him.  Yet, he took a DiSalvo woman as a lover after... or maybe even before my mother died?  I didn’t know that – but who could blame him with how we lost mom?”  Frankie shook her head.  “He must have been lonely in those days... hurting.  People do stupid things when they’re grieving.”

She sighed, “I have to read the last letter.  All this meddling Lucy’s done, it’s fine I suppose... but there’s no reason for it on her end so far as I can see.  If this was about reuniting us to be rid of you in her life... well, she could have just told you that I was alive!  You’d have done anything to get me here... or she could have told me that you were here, unmarried, and still loving me... and I would have come willingly.” 

She picked up the final letter.  “This has to explain it.  Why she got so involved – why she’d involve grandfather and put herself in debt to him and ... all of the theatrics.”  Frankie tore open the final envelope and a small metal key flew out as she ripped the paper seal.

Tony snatched it up, recognizing it immediately.  “The Ivory Tower.” He muttered, examining the key to the Chicago Lighthouse, which had been Lucy’s Crew Headquarters when she ran her criminal empire.

Frankie unfolded the letter, thicker than all the others and she began to read, leaning close to Tony so he could read as well.

Frankie,

It is my sincerest prayer that, before reading this letter, you have learned that your father was a victim at Alcantara and not the rogue your Grandfather fears him to be. 

I can’t say for sure that he was Liatto’s partner or not – therefore we had to loosen his tongue and make Liatto told us the truth. Your Father’s word alone would never have been enough for your Grandfather – let alone the DiSalvo family who would say your father was lying to save his own skin. 

Certainly, your father did have knowledge of the route the money would be moved by and the amount of protection it would have... but things often go sideways in life and the death of Olivia DiSalvo complicates this story a great deal and casts doubt on your Grandfather’s assumptions.

So – I had to know the truth.  More importantly YOU had to know the truth... if your Grandfather is wrong, I’d have the opportunity for you and he to be reunited.  My wedding gift to you and Tony – after all, if your Father is free and not guilty of being a rogue to his family... he will be the next Don of Messina and you both will stand to benefit a great deal.  This is to say nothing of how such favor will be repaid to my dear Katy.  Your father, if he isn’t guilty, will likely feel the need to repay my meddling with kindness to Katy who might have great need of a powerful friend like the Don of Messina, one day.

Now... if Grandfather is right, and your father did make the stupid mistake of double crossing his own family... well, this wasn’t something I could tell you.  For two reasons: 

One:  Something this big one must see for themselves.  No one wants to think their parents are traitors or failures.  The truth is, my own father committed an act of betrayal in dying.  He took a gun against the orders of his Don and shot men who he had no business shooting.  Don’t get me wrong, I might have done the same (speaking now as a widow who would have fought the devil himself to avenge Frank) but my father was a rogue, and this is the truth of my life.

If it is the truth of yours... you can choose to forgive him.  That is a possible way of dealing with this... maybe you bust him from prison and hide him.  You leave the debt I’ve incurred to your Grandfather for my Katy to pay should he ever find that your dad is alive.  He will certainly call it in if he learns I didn’t kill your father, but I can’t blame you for that.  As I said in my previous letter – I would have given anything for this chance you now have.

You might kill him yourself.  Maybe you realize the hell he put your grandfather and you through – and you want to repay that debt in kind and not live as hypocrite mobster; insisting on loyalty while forgiving those who you love for disloyalty.  I personally couldn’t do that.  But I’m not you.

Maybe you ignore all this and walk away, letting the chips fall where they may... and my people finish him off in time as per my orders.  This alive you of the burden and protects my Katy from the debt that your joy has incurred.    

TWO:  The other reason I couldn’t just tell you all this... your Grandfather insisted you not know the truth.  He knew how much pain this might bring you – that your father was a murderer and thief, that he was willing to leave you alone in Sicily and start a new life in the US, and that he never looked back.  For the pain you endured alone your Grandfather said I should make him suffer... but he also said that, as his son, he wished that I would do it quick and painless.

That man is broken by what your father became involved in ... and I wanted you to see the web woven, all the pieces twisted up and knotted, how our lives become in this thing of ours and how much worse it gets when chaos can thrive. 

Men like your Grandfather, Godfathers, are monsters.  They are the villains in this thing of ours... to be sure they are bloodthirsty, brutal, and merciless.  Many Dons are the same.  For these reasons many rogues claim they are the heroes of this thing of ours.  Rogues claim they are trying to level the playing field for the little guy to get his shot.  But, that’s simply not true... they’re villains, as all of us are.  Even you.  In following my instructions, you have stolen, you have kidnapped and now you contemplate murder; perhaps your hands are already red with blood.

Never fool yourself into thinking you are a good person Frankie.  It is a lie.  We are all dark things – we prey upon the weak, and sometimes the corrupt, for our own personal gain.  There is no where in the good book that tells us that Christ rewards such behavior.  You can use your money for good, you can donate your time to causes, you can have children and love them dearly... but none of that undoes what you do when you’re not pretending to be ‘normal’ like other women.  You aren’t normal... you’re extraordinary.  In this, at some point, you will be alone.

One day, your fairytale will crack and shatter as mine has – as they all do.  The lies you build to make your life seem pretty and kind... will fade and disappear.  You will find yourself staring in the mirror at a murderer, a monster, the likes of which you feared and fought for most of your life.  And, I hope, you know that this is the way it always goes... for all of us in this thing of ours.  That you will greet that monster as an old friend... and not be broken by her appearance.  If you don’t die young, beautiful, and tragic in this thing of ours... you live to become a monster.

But... take heart sweet girl – the world needs monsters.  The world needs villains.  Even God needed Satan... for what way would you measure joy and love if not by hate and cruelty?  How could you know what happiness is, if you did not feel bone deep sadness from time to time?  What would keep the sheep from wandering off the path if not the fear of wolves?  That is how I understood it as a child... but remember what I said about the world?  We are all one of three things (not two): Sheep... Wolves... or MEN.  This is how men are made, Frankie.  Men are the shepherds and THEY protect the sheep and cull the wolves when they threaten the balance.

When I lost Frank to the rogue Geordie, a man I run with and trusted... someone I called friend, I never aspired to lead.  I hid from it.  I wanted nothing more than keep my head down and work hard for someone else who stood in the spotlight.  I wanted to love my husband and raise our family.  I thought I was a good person who had done nothing to warrant the hate or violence of others... and I thought the same of Frank.

All of that was true – but to agents of chaos like rogues, people who rage against the establishment (even if they do so with noble intentions) they prey on anyone who gets in their way.  They don’t care about who they hit – or what happens once they are done.  They don’t even care about their own lives and that’s what makes them so damn dangerous. 

They are charismatic and their cause calls to the jaded, the bitter, and naive.  They raise up their flags and chant about injustice in the streets; begging for people to rally to their cause.  Causes, Frankie, are so powerful!  Know that while a man might lead and inspire people to greatness... what he was, it dies with him, if he does not build something more than himself.

While I mourned Frank and my Godfather Varys, I found myself angry ... not at Geordie, but at all of us for not seeing what he had seen.  In his genius, and the genius of others like him, I found inspiration.  I needed a cause that could live beyond me.  Why should rogues alone inspire such fervor that generation after generation of people come to their banner?  Why shouldn’t those of us who are tired of being preyed upon to make a political point, not stand up united under a cause as well?

It was then I had a dream about an Ivory Tower which stood high above all the murder and mayhem.  A tower so tall that the whole of this thing of ours could see it from anywhere and in any crime they were committing.  It shone a light upon the darkest things among us... and I woke with a purpose.  It was as if God told me that he’d taken Frank from me for a reason – that there was a calling, bigger than myself, and I had to rise to it.

In my pain I found conviction and the drive to rise. 

You are suffering Frankie.  I’ve given you all I can... the tools necessary, the friends and allies, I’ve left you with money to begin – but you alone can decide to open the door to The Ivory Tower once more.  It is my hope that in all of this, you find your joy not just in Tony’s arms... but in leading good men and women in the task of keeping the Monsters in line.  In reminding them that the Cosa Nostra is more than any single man or woman.  That we live and die not just by Omerta... but by a code that says even as we do as we must; that there can be honor among thieves and murders.  You can be a monster and not be monstrous.

This key is to the Chicago Lighthouse – or as I’ve lovingly come to think of it as I plan for my own demise – The Ivory Tower Chicago Edition.  I don’t know where you will land – where you will find yourself on the day they authorize you to lead a family... but I hope that you will honor the truths I have shared with you by telling the world that The Tower Still Stands. 

I hope you will tell the world that what Lucky Lucy began, did not die with her death.  That while they stole Frank from me, and Varys, and so many others... so, so many others – the monsters in this thing of ours didn’t win that night.  Instead, they birthed into this world a force that will hunt them generation after generation.  They may have killed Lucky Lucy – but The Tower Still Stands... and it will come for them, time and again.

And now, it falls to you.  I pass into your hands all the assets of the Ivory Tower.  In the pages that follow are names, contacts, bank accounts, creditors, debtors, every detail of my entire operation.  Assuming you did as you were asked, as it was asked of you, it’s all yours. I wish you only success and a bullet you never see coming when your day finally comes.

Eternally your friend,

Lucy.

Frankie looked through the papers then at the details of the assets of the Ivory Tower.  Her mind swam with all of it.  Her eyes were like saucers as she noted the amount of money she now had access to.  She shuddered to think of it.  Standing up she began to pace the room, a hand in her hair as she contemplated what she’d do next.

"We're not taking the kid... I'm not going that way with this.  We do this our own way."  She became more hot headed the longer she thought about all Lucy had said. 

"
Liatto dies.”  She said flatly.  “It doesn’t matter the truth about what happened.  I will tell my grandfather whatever I decide to tell him and he will believe me, but that FANCULO Liatto was involved and he will pay for that.  He stole from my Grandfather and even if my father was his ally... he turned on him; so, he deserves to have his eyes eaten out by bugs in some desert hole!”

Frankie literally pictured herself burying him up to his neck in the desert sand and leaving him to die that way.  It was a monstrous thought, and she realized then that Lucy was right.  There were no heroes in this thing of theirs.  She cursed in Sicilian.

“We’ll ... take from the Tower assets and give Grandfather his money back, plus interest and he will agree to leave the matter of my father in our hands – I’ll promise that my father will never show his face in Sicily again. People can go on thinking that he’s dead.”

She looked back to the pile of papers on the bed and then to Tony with hope in her eyes and voice, “You served in her crew – this... Tower.”  Frankie drew a breath, letting out all her fears as she exhaled.  “Putting aside all your feelings for her and Frank; tell me... what did you and other people think about what she was doing – what did you and they think of this Ivory Tower of hers?”

Report Post Tip

Tony heard her questions but he really didn't have an answer.  He didn't care for anyone's politics he was a soldier and earner and all around man that wanted nothing.  He looked at her seeing she was in pain and anger this is when she needed to vent and he needed to hear her and understand where she was coming from and where her pain was coming from. 

He thought to himself that they could save her father, they could return the cash with interest, they could kill the traitor and they could live together as man and wife.  They could have it all he only wanted her to be happy he wasn't interested in taking over the ivory tower as it would only remind him of Lucy and Frank.  He wanted to leave that past three years from the day he left her in Sicily. 

Then he spoke.

No that's not your call your grandfather can secure your fathers safe return to Sicily if we create the story that he was jail he didn't know about the deaths he was a fall guy.  He escaped and he returns with the cash.  To tell a man that's made that he can't return home is killing him.  He may want to see his father and your Grandfather deep down may want to see his son. 

Think about that if you were told that you could never return home how would you feel?  What would you do?  I hated the thought that I had to leave for my safety I returned because I was ready to kill and die.  I lost you and it would have gave me a chance to find you.  Your grandfather lied to me so what makes you think he didn't lie to Lucy? 

I don't know if Lucy is telling you the truth now.  Hell I don't know why she just didn't give you the whole story from the start.  She could have told you all his when you arrived this chase was not just designed to get us back together.  You need to think after you have calmed down and think everything you really want to do.  What ever you decide to do I will support you but you will have to live with the consequences of your decisions. 

You really want to know what Lucy was like then understand she did what she had to do.  She wanted more than what Frank could give her.  Frank died like all men and women do that are in this life the only difference was that he was able to find love before he did.  He loved her just as I love you.  You have to make choices and all I can do is ask you to think them out. 

It doesn't matter what people thought of Lucy love.  In this world we do what we must she had people that trusted her and she had people that hated her.  When you are a boss not everyone can know what you are thinking and when you do something it must be done quickly and effectively.  That's why every few years they have wars to cleans the bad blood between the families. 

Be who you were meant to be and don't try to be like Lucy.  Be Frankie be Francesca the woman I love and the woman that others will love and follow if you want to be a boss. 

Tony stood up and poured himself a drink standing with his back towards her he finished his drink and then looked back at her hoping she heard and understood his words.  He spoke from the heart he didn't want her to be a copy of Lucy he wanted her to be herself she was an amazing woman she just needed to hear that from time to time.  He poured a second glass.

Tony walked over to her as she looked at him her eyes said she understood and she has everything under control he wanted to hold her but didn't know if she wanted to be held, maybe she wanted to scream, cry or just exhale.   He handed her the drink then walked over to the window to peep and see if anyone was looking at the apartment window.  He didn't see anyone on the streets or looking out of the windows from across the street. 

Tony turned and saw her sitting there looking angry and still holding the liquor.  She took a sip but she was deep in thought and not moving at all.  That's her thinking mode and Tony knew when she was in that mode that you could play drums and she would not hear you.  He walked out side the bed room to get some of Cici leftovers as she sat in the bedroom.  His pistol was still in his shoulder holster as he sat on the couch by the radio that was still playing.  He turned the radio down a bit and thought to himself.    

Report Post Tip

Frankie was in the room a very long time.  After about an hour she came out with her glass and put it into the sink.  She walked over to Tony and sat down.  

"I don't want to be Lucy."  She said looking at her Fiancee.  "My willingness to follow these notes stemmed from a desire to help my father and to make a name for myself using what tools she left behind.  Waste not, want not."   She shrugged.  "Maybe there was also some desire to thank her for bringing you back into my life too... but, no, I don't want to be her Tony so don't be scared of that."

She drew a long breath, "I asked you what people thought of her and that crew because she makes some valid points.  I don't disagree with what she says about the need to set an example.  Reading Lucy's letters makes me think these American ... what do the papers call them... gangsters?"  She laughs.  "They don't understand things the way we do back home.  This Tower, the idea of setting an example, of teaching the families and providing a better example... I like it.  I think it honors our ways back home... and I think Grandfather would approve."

"I never considered leadership before - truth is ... I just wanted to be acknowledged.  I wanted to be heard and have a seat at the table because I always knew I was as good as any man I ever met.  I hated that it felt like I wasn't respected the way I wanted.  I didn't want to be someone's princess or doll... I didn't need to be sheltered from the truths in this thing of ours.  And, all my life, I felt like you were the only one who saw that."

She turned her body towards him.  "But reading Lucy's letters I wonder now if my Grandfather didn't see it too... he just... couldn't ever give me what I wanted in Sicily.  The older men, they are too set in their ways.  He never doubted me, he loved me - in many ways he made me as I am, but home isn't home.  I can't be me there so how can it ever really be home?"  She got tears in her eyes.  "I miss him.  I do.  I miss my horses and the way food tastes cause everything here is buried in salt and the alcohol - it's so strong that it doesn't even taste good!"

Frankie stifled a sob brought on by homesickness.  "I don't know him.  I don't know the man in that prison ... the man who was my real father is an elderly man half a world away.  I'm not Lucy - that man in that prison he left me behind.  Grandfather is right about that... for whatever reason he left, he did.  I don't need my father back for me, but you might be right about Grandfather needing him.  He's old and his only son is in jail cell far, far away.  Maybe... maybe we can fix that?  Not for me... but for the man who raised me and protected me; the man who is... at least according to Lucy, still willing to give you his blessing to marry me."

She takes Tony's hand.  "Maybe... a quick trip home?  To get married with our families?  And I can talk to Grandfather and let him decide what he'd like done.  If he wants what Lucy said he wants... we'll find someone, not family, who we can trust to make it happen.  Though... I still think we should get rid of Liatto before we go.  What do you think?"

Report Post Tip

Tony was so happy to see his woman walking into the room with him.  When she sat next to him he quickly put his arm around her and rubbed her as if he was trying to warm her up.  When she talked about not wanting to be Lucy he agreed with her.  He looked at her with a smile and then kissed her forehead.  He didn't say anything at that point because she was correct and nothing needed to be said.

When she started talking about earning respect but never getting it in Sicily because the old Don's were set in there ways she was correct again.  What amazed Tony was that the men ruled over there but it the women with the true power.  Every Don had a strong mother and a strong wife.  It amazed him that they didn't recognize woman as equals.  Francesca was his equal and he didn't care what others thought he loved her and that's all that mattered.

When she spoke about her father she was still in pain but he understood and he knew she was working that issue out.  He did leave her and he needed to answer why.  Tony couldn't speak for him because he never knew him if he did then he could have provided a defense for her father.  Tony remained silent because he didn't know what to say to comfort her and he has known for years this was a touchy subject for her. 

When she spoke about going to Sicily his heart jumped he wanted to check on Katy to see his brother but most of all to get permission to marry the only woman he wanted to marry since childhood.  She looked more beautiful every morning.  He looks at her with a smile and then slowly leans forward and kissed her.  His eyes showed happiness and she knew he was ready to do that as soon as possible.

When she spoke of killing the traitor he nodded in agreement. 

I agree lets meet this fool and do what must be done.  Lets then meet your father then we go off to Sicily. 

Report Post Tip

Frankie wiped the sweat from her brow as she looked up to see a lone vulture already circling high above.  For miles nothing could be seen but sand and rocks.  Beside her, Tony thrust a shovel into the dirt hard startling the thin Sicilian awake.  Groggily he blinked his eyes and looked about in confusion and panic.

"What the... where the hell am I?  What's going on?  Who are you?"

Frankie looked down at what appeared to be a disembodied head sitting on the sand and she smiled.  She'd been considering what to say to Liatto ever since Tony had thrown him unconscious into the trunk of the car.  She reached into her purse and pulled out a small gold colored bear and twisted the top off.

"What's that?" the head asked.

Frankie turned it end over end and began to drizzle a thick gold river down onto his hair.

"God no!  Please ... we can talk his over.  Whatever it is.  Whatever you're being paid, I'll double it!"

The honey began to go down into his ears and onto his face, wet and sticky - sweet enough to summon bugs from miles away.  "I'm afraid that this is personal."  She said in her thick Sicilian accent.  Liatto's eyes went wide realizing she wasn't some American gangster and, as such, he was in very big trouble.

"Don Messina sent you?"  Frankie could hear the tremor of terror in his tone.

"Lucky Lucy said you wouldn't talk and I should just kill you; that with nothing to live for you'd lie before you'd ever give me what I want."

"That's not true.  I got the money.  If Don Messina wants the money back, I can get it for him!"

"See, my friend and I have a bet."  She says indicating to Tony.  "He thinks Lucy is right and we should just kill you.  But me, I'm an optimist.  I believe in the power of positive thinking... and I'm positive that if properly inspired; you're going to sing like a bird.  The trick is finding the right motivation."

"I'll take you to the money.  Just dig me up."

Frankie kneels down and tilts her head to the side.  "If you think you can kill my kinsmen, take ten million dollars from my Don for over a decade, frame my father for murder and then get a pass just for giving the money back..."  She chuckled, pulling a gun out of her purse.  "Then you clearly have not paid attention to how this thing of ours works." 

She put the gun down on the ground in front of the man, slightly to the left of him.  "This here, that's what ten million dollars and the truth will buy you.  A bullet.  A single shot placed right here."  She reached out with an index finger and touched him gently between the eyes.  "A lie, or silence... that will get you the scorpions if you're lucky... if you're not, it'll be the ants.  They'll crawl into your ears after the honey, your nose, your mouth..."

Liatto began to cry.

"You may want them in your mouth when the night comes and you're so damn hungry... but trust me, ant bites can be nasty things.  And then your eyes.  Before you're done the sound of them eating you alive will drive you mad, but that is a welcome thing compared to the birds who will eventually come to take you a bit at a time.  One or two at first... and then..."  She shook her head.  "And what they find they won't even be able to identify to send back to Sicily.  You'll end up in some unmarked grave - as alone in death as you are in life; that's if they find you at all."

Liatto was begging now.

"Tell me what I want to know and I'll end it... I'll make sure your body is sent home to your mother in Sicily and buried with your kin.  Where's my Don's money and I want to know EVERYTHING about Alcantara and the murder of Olivia DiSalvo."

While the man was weeping, Frankie stood back up and walked over to Tony.  "I hope this works..."  She looked over her shoulder at the guy.  "Hate him as much as I do - this would be a fuck of a way to go.  Do you really think we should stop in New York to talk to my father?"  Frankie still wasn't sure how she felt about seeing her dad, now knowing he might well have been a traitor to Don Messina and that he was willing to leave her behind in Sicily for a new life with his lover.

Report Post Tip

Tony was sweating from digging in the desert he wiped the sweat from his face with his sleeve from his shirt.  He was finished and then he watched Francesca pull out a small bottle of honey and poured it on the head of a man she want information from.  Shaking his head as he looked at the poor sap he walked to the car. 

Tony reached in and pulled out a brown paper bag looking in side was two sandwiches he placed that on top of the roof of the car then pulled out a smaller bag and inside was a flask which caused tony to think that Francesca never dug a hole in the desert before.  He walked to the trunk of the car and opened it and found a stone mason jug with a cork.  Reaching for it he pulled the cork out and smelled the contents of if. He smelt nothing but knew it was full.  It was dark out so he walk towards the front of the car with the jug turning the headlights on first as he reached the front to pour out a bit to see what it was Francesca yelled its water hon. 

Tony smiled as if she told him it was a million dollars.  He guzzled down half the contents before stopping to look at the honey soaked man buried in the sand from his feet to the top of his shoulders.  Tony looked at Francesca as she was enjoying terrorizing Liatto.  The begging started to irritate Tony as he looked at her.  She was smiling down at him before she walked over to Tony.  Tony inhaled slowly then whispered to her.

Quanto ancora prima di uccidere questo idiota Francesca?

She looked up at him her eyes glowing and her smile comforting making Tony wanting to grab her and kiss her but he had to reframe from her tantalizing gaze.  She whispered back.

Non sarà lungo il mio amore.  Si crepa presto.  Riesco a sentirlo.

She asked Tony about going to see her father.  Tony knew she wanted to but apart didn't.  He looked at her and then whispered in english.

You will get your answer to that question once Liatto answers the questions you just posed to him. 

She gave Tony a peck on the cheek and walked over to the roof of the car taking the two sandwiches and asked Tony if he wanted one.  Tony nodded yes as she handed him one.  Then she took the other sandwich and the jug of water over to where Liatto was buried.  She ate her sandwich in front of him.  Then she picked up the jug and began to drink in front of him.  She wiped the corner of her lips with her fingers and smiled.  She apologized for not giving him a sandwich or a drink.  She explained that Tony didn't want to spend the extra money buying him a sandwich and since he was buried she didn't know if he could have food or water being buried like that considering that his stomach is not in a position to swell. 

During that time Tony had turned the headlights off and grabbed the flask and to a sip to help wash down his sandwich.  He sat on the hood of the car waiting for the soon departing man to speak. 

Report Post Tip

Frankie sat right in front of Liatto and finished her dinner.  She could see the small bugs beginning to gather.  Some on his face and he with no way of shooing them away.  A tiny part of her felt sick at the idea of this man being eaten alive by bugs, but she also knew with nothing to lose, he'd lie and she'd never get the truth.  He needed to be scared of something more than just his own death, because there was no way in hell he'd ever believe the granddaughter of Don Enzo was going to let him survive.  

The night was growing colder.  Tony offered her his jacket.  She smiled at him.  "I'm good."  She said.  

"Your father?"  Liatto whispered.  

Frankie stood up.  Finally.  She thought, giving a glance to Tony.

"He called you... Francesca?"  He'd looked to Tony and then back to Frankie.  "You're... you're little Frank's girl?"

That hurt.  More than Francesca wanted to admit.  Liatto hadn't even known the name of her father's daughter.  That meant her dad didn't talk about her in front of his co-conspirator or... whatever he was.  Her heart fell to the pit of her stomach.  She kept her face as blank as she could.  There was a long silence as she assumed he tried to read her.  He was looking for some in, some way to con his way out of that hole he'd found himself in - literally.  Frankie wanted to give him none.

"Your father was going to send for you after we got set up here in the States. He had big ... big plans.  You gotta know that all this was to build a future for you."

"How?"  She asked.

"The old man, your Grandfather, was refusing to let the Messina family get into drugs.  His enemies were making a fortune moving horse.  Had been for years and your father spent a lot of time advising him to get in on the action before the Messina name was made irrelevant in the United States and other big money fronts."  He twitched, she could almost imagine how it felt having bugs crawling on her face which she couldn't be rid of.  "But Enzo refused.  Said he wouldn't have a hand in peddling poison even if it was to those 'spics and ni-"

"Wait."  Frankie stopped the man.  "So, you're saying my Father stole the money to start his own operations in the US because he didn't agree with my Grandfather's policy on drugs dealing?"

Liatto gave a bit of a nod.  Frankie looked pissed off.  There was no hiding it from Tony.  He could almost see her thoughts of taking her foot and kicking him in his lying mouth so hard that his teeth launched into the back of his skull; but she refrained.

"Olivia DiSalvo?"  She managed to ask.

"I have no idea who killed her, but it wasn't your father.  He loved Olivia.  Had loved her for years..."  Frankie turned from Liatto as he kept talking, "Even before your mother passed."  She walked away into the darkness of the desert for a moment to collect her thoughts.

Report Post Tip

Tony stood there for only a split second but to him it felt like an hour.   He walked over to Francesca and held her from behind as whispered to her.

So che ti ha fatto incazzare.  Puoi ucciderlo più tardi per quello.  Lasciatemi parlare con lui e poi si torna e fare quelle domande di nuovo.  Per favore, e vi prometto che parlerà la verità.  Lascia solo stare qui e si balla con me saprà che siamo pazzi e pazzi fare cose folli.

She agreed only because she wanted to see where this would lead.  Maybe just maybe Tony adjustment to the plan might work. They danced for a few minutes as she smiled at Tony trying to hide her anger, pain, and scare the shit out of Laitto just a bit more.  She smiled at Liatto as she saw that more bugs had arrived for the feast of honey and Laitto.   Then she and Tony stopped as she gazed into the night sky then down to Liatto with a foretelling grin.  Liatto didn’t know what she would do, however he knew it was going to be excruciatingly painful if he didn’t cooperate.

Tony walked over to Liatto and squatted down making direct eye contact.  Tony’s stone face showed no anger yet he wanted to put a bullet in the head of Liatto.  Pulling out his pistol from his shoulder holster and stuffing it gently and ever so slowly into the mouth of Liatto with a smile that said its okay Tony whispered.  

Si trova ancora una volta e finirò quella brutta testa sulle spalle sepolto.  Capisci!

Liatto eyes were wide, he was alert and ready to do whatever Tony said as Tony continued to smile at him., Tony knew without seeing, hearing or smelling Liatto that Liatto pissed himself.  Tony pulled the pistol out of Liatto mouth thumping his upper central incisors.   Re-holstered his pistol Tony stood up and started looking at the stars in the night sky; then the flat plains of the desert then resting his eyes back on Liatto.  Tony spoke in a calm non-threatening voice.

She will ask you again, lie and I put a bullet in that pretty ugly head of yours.  You know you have a long face?  Now that I look at it you’re an ugly ass guy?  No wonder Olivia was ready to leave you.  Anyway, back to my point Liatto.  What you say could actually save you; should it pan out with the rest of the information we already ascertained from some of your old associates.  

Me, I could give a shit if you live or die.  She, well she wants to let you die quickly.  Liatto I’m different, you know?  I kill quick, I kill slow and even let people go; makes me no never mind you understand!  I do what I choose, when I choose, If I choose.  You know?   Hell I’m my own boss in these matters only because those I let go I keep tabs on.  I watch them and when they start to do the slightest things we agreed that they are not supposed to do I end them.  I hate when people don't do what we agree on.

So if we let you go, you will be dug out and dropped off at the nearest bus station with a one way ticket anywhere out of the country and this world isn’t that big especially for you.  Europe is off the map for you.  Asia is off the map for you.  North America hell that leaves you a few islands and South America and let’s face it you would stand out in Africa.  

So here’s your one time offer.   Answer her questions and I mean all of them and after we get the money you stole plus interest and enough to wet my beak and I have a thirsty ass beak my friend.  You don’t mind me calling you my friend do you?  Of course not that was a dumb question.    

I also want your contacts every f/n one of them; those that will and will not cooperate and don’t worry them that don’t you know how they end right?   I mean seriously Liatto; I want every penny and every contact you have, every f/n racket you built and are a part of.  If we find out or know or she thinks your lying to us a second time; momma mi ah you die, you lie, you die, you leave out the smallest detail you die.  You use the wrong tone in your voice you die.  Capisci?   If you answer truthfully I will ensure you have a few dollars in your pockets to get a place to live and food to eat.  You want have enough to cause me any problems but enough that should you work you can pay your bills and find a cheap date. 

You know women they always know when a man is lying to them?  Me that’s why I never lie I tell her the truth and yeah it might sting but at least I’m clean and we move on.  You know women can be very forgiving when they get the truth.  

Liatto understood that he was looking into the face of a homicidal lunatic who’s eyes reveal nothing but coldness.  Tony's voice sounded as if he would have pleasure in killing him in such away that it could become a prize a work of art an a new style or method.  Liatto thought the Tony soul was void of remorse  that he offered kindness hoping you refuse it so he could kill.  That Tony can grant a keep a promise or dissolve it all based off of him getting what he wanted.  Liatto could see that there was truth in Tony and his words and that Tony was a product of the mafia Don’s from the old country.  Liatto knew that his only option was to comply or die and to live poor was better than dying like this.

Liatto gave a slight nod, as he did not have much room to nod since he was buried just past his shoulders.  Tony knew by the bites from the ants that Liatto was about to go insane soon.  Fear is one thing but real slow painful torture effectively done will send the strongest of men over the edge.  

Tony walked over to Francesca and whispered to her.

Ask him those same questions again in the same order and look through him as if he is nothing more than a skull laying on the ground a talking skull that the answers don’t matter but the fact that a skull can talk.  That will play in his mind that you care nothing about who lives or dies.  

Tell him that we already spoke to your father and he said Olivia was his girl and that she wanted to leave you for Frank so you killed her and stole the money so who’s lying and think carefully because our friends back home so far have backed Frank’s story.

If he changes his then he get where the money is and the names of all his contacts and operations.  If he sticks with it then he’s telling you the truth.  Get the rest of the info and either end him or we leave him leaving means on wasted bullet and no traceable evidence and it will be months if not years before they find him.

Tony kissed her cheek then went towards the car to get a pencil and paper to write the names and businesses Liatto was going to supply them with.  

Liatto!  Don’t leave anything out; not even the addresses to every person and business okay buddy!  Oh and speak slowly; I have to translate this stuff from English to Sicilian and I write slow cause I don’t like sloppy penmanship.  I don’t want to try and figure out what the hell you were trying to tell me.  That would mean I wasn’t f/n listening and that would be f/n rude of me you know?    Now you two play nice, yah hear?

Report Post Tip

Frankie walked over to Liatto and sat back down.  "Where is Don Enzo's money?"

Liatto, through cracked lips, whispered an address then explained,  "A loose floor board near the desk.  It'll lift and you'll find a safe.  Combination is 23, 10, 3."

Frankie wrote down the combination.  "It's all there?"

Liatto nodded.  "It and about another 500K from various jobs I've done since getting here."

Frankie nodded.  "Good.  Now... I want your version of events regarding Alcantara.  Everything.  Not just the day - the whole story.  Leave nothing out."

Liatto shuddered and sobbed.  If he thought this was bad, daybreak would be utter hell.  The cool air made the bugs less active... and already he was going slowly mad.  She could see it in his eyes.  "Your father was banging Olivia DiSalvo for a while when he found out your mom was sick."  Liatto couldn't look her in the eyes as he said it - for Frankie it felt truer because of that.  The man did, it seem, have some small ounce of shame.

"Go on."  She urged.

"He felt horrible when he found out she was going to die.  He loved her, your old man, just... was one of those men who didn't know how the hell to be faithful to save his life.  Got bored easy.  Your mom, she was perfect - he knew that, but no every-"

"Stop.  I don't need to know why my Father did it.  That's just your speculations anyway.  Stick to what you know."

"Yea."  He sniffled.  "Anyway, he sorta panicked I think.  Started talking stupid... wasn't sure what the hell he was going to do.  He didn't know the first thing about raising a kid and ... Olivia didn't want kids.  So, one night while we were drinking he mouthed off to your grandfather and got into this big fight.  Your Grandfather slapped him.  Didn't even punch him, he slapped him and mocked him for weeping like a woman over your mother's impending death.  Told him - maybe just in anger, I don't know, that this was why he couldn't ever put the family into his hands."

The wind seemed to pick up out of nowhere, as if God himself felt the heat rising in her veins as Liatto went on, sadly seeming resigned to his fate and no - finally - seeming to speak truth.  The anger, the mockery, that sounded like her Grandfather.  That he would be hard and have high expectations for her father was truly no shock.  She had a hard time meeting his expectations and she was a woman, so why should her father have escaped it?

"We left your Grandfather's home and ended up drinking with the DiSalvo boys and they were going off about your Grandfather being so tight fisted and his taxes being so high and a shit ton of other stuff so... your dad starts running at the mouth.  He's hurting about your mom and about being mocked but mostly about your Grandfather saying that the family would be better in your Aunt's hands than in his.  Your old man ... he starts telling them the sorts of things no made man should speak about with outsiders - family matters - the sort of shit he never would have said on any other night.  Sensitive shit and I know I should have dragged him out of there; but I was afraid if I tried to stop him from spilling those kinds of things to the DiSalvo guys that they would have fucked me up.  So... I kept my yap shut."

"By the end of the night he'd told how your Grandfather had cheated several Dons out of money they were owed, where bodies of some people he'd done away with were, and about payment coming in from an American Godfather who DiSalvo had convinced all the other families not to deal with.  Your Grandfather was making money hand over fist and he didn't want the others to get a piece of the pie.  I guess that your father decided that if he couldn't have your Grandfather's empire... he'd tear it down."  

"When we left - Olivia came with us.  I begged him to tell your Grandfather - told him that it wasn't too late for us to come back with some of the Messina family while they were sleeping it off to silence them ... but Olivia she was like Eve with the apple itself.  As your father got more sober... the more she was able to convince him that thrown his lot in with DiSalvo.  Told him that he should take the money on the next shipment and with her father's blessing start a branch of his operations in the United States - far out of Enzo's reach because, as she put it, the old man would bury him for the betrayal regardless."

"Your old man, he believed her... and so he worked with the DiSalvo family to organize the hit at Alcantara.  Your mother passed during the planning.  We buried her, God rest her soul, and then everything started moving fast.  When the day came, the money was being transported to your Grandfather's compound.  Your father was suppose to be protecting it, but he pretended the truck was having engine troubles and pulled over at Alcantara.

"His cousins, a nephew... all of them were gunned down trying to protect that money and their bodies were thrown into the river.  He hoped the uncertainty of his life or death would buy him time.  Apparently, it did."

Frankie drew breath.  "And you ... what, were dragged along?"

"Your father told me I'd be his right hand if I didn't tell Enzo.  I figured your Grandfather would kill me for not stopping him so - my lot was with him for good or ill.  I wanted to be my own man, sure I'll own it... but your father fucked us and that whore Olivia, I put most of that on her.  Your dad was a good man, he just got in deep and didn't know which way was up anymore.  Leaving you behind was as much for your safety as anything - he knew we'd be on the run a while, but he always hoped that once we got set up proper that he could pay back your Grandfather and get into his good graces again.  Have a relationship with you."

Frankie wrote down a few notes.  "Olivia DiSalvo."  She said looking up.  "If things were so good with the DiSalvo family how did she end up dead, how is it you have all the money and they didn't take a cut, and how is it that my father ended up doing time?" 

"Durden."  He said.  The name was one she'd heard a few times now since coming to the United States.  It was beginning to be really annoying.  She wrote Tyler's name down with purpose - as if it were an item on a to-do list.  "Apparently one of Tyler Durden's capos didn't get paid for work he did... a hit on a Sicilian here in the US.  Not sure all the details but Durden was pissed and wanted to start a war back home."

"Killing Olivia?  Tyler taking the money?  Making it look like my Grandfather struck back for Alcantara?"

"Would have worked too... except your Dad was quick on his feet when he was sober.  We heard the coppers coming the moment we found her dead, saw the set up, and we knew we wouldn't get far.  Your Dad gave me the cash and I got out of there - he stayed put to buy me and the cash time to get out of Durden's reach.  See, he still thought the cash might be the way to get back in good with his father, but... he's a stupid sentimental fool your Dad.  Don Enzo... he's not going to-"

"The facts only."  She reminded him.  "I don't want your speculations."

"Your father planned to do his time in prison, never told anyone what Durden did."  Liatto continued.  "Asked me to make sure that the cash got home if he died on the inside... otherwise he said I should hold it for the time being and get word to DiSalvo that the money was still here in the states waiting for him to get out.  DiSalvo apparently bought it cause he's not gone to war with your Grandfather and your Dad, so far as I know, is still alive.  Unfortunately, the FBN is convinced I stole the money from either Don Enzo or Durden and that if they wait me out long enough I'll eventually need protection bad enough that I'll turn on them."

He began to laugh then, the sort of laugh men who are losing their minds laugh.  "Guess I should have flipped yesterday?"  He clearly saw the irony of it all.  Frankie was not so amused.

"So you and my father ... you gave away family secrets.  You... killed members of your family.  You took my Grandfather's money and you ran with my father's whore to another country with it?  So, what you're saying is, my Grandfather's grasp on thing isn't so far from true - just not complete?"

Liatto wet his lips.  "I'm sorry."  He said.

"Me too."  She said calmly picking up her gun, turning from Liatto, and putting it into her holster.

Liatto look to Tony and opened his mouth to speak with Frankie's foot came around her body hard and fast, connecting with his mouth shattering his teeth. 

"Ouch!"  She heard Tony say as she caught her balance and as she came at him again she was sure Tony had said something along the lines of, 'Sorry' and 'Guess she wanted you dead fast.'  But she couldn't bring herself to care.

Frankie screamed, like an animal shrieking as it attacked, over and over again she emitted an ear piercing noise with each stop upon the face before her, she found herself wanting to pound it so hard into the dirt that she'd never have to look at it again.  Blood, skin, teeth, hair and things she would later wish she could un-see came out of the thing that no longer looked like a face when she was finally out of energy and collapsed to the ground several feet away.  Falling to the ground, flat on her back she looked up to the sky and roared.

As silence came upon them; her breath, sobs, and heart pounding in her ears was all that she could hear.  For a while they were like that, her exhausted laying on the ground, Tony a short distance away giving her space, and the last bits of Liatto covered in blood and honey oozing onto the desert floor.

Frankie didn't know what to say.  Her thoughts raced through her mind.

Report Post Tip

Tony watched as Frankie stumped Liatto to death, she had an anger that ran deep and long.  It was part of the mystique that mad her who she is today.   She held that anger in since her first day of school, during her first fight and first kiss with the first boy she ever liked.  Tony was that boy and he knew everything about her they were friends, lovers and family to each other for over 15 years. 

Tony never saw that much rage released by her.  He saw her kill a few times with her pistol and knife with a baseball bat and with a shot gun. The stumping was raw and her small frame was moving with such speed a kid with a soccer ball.  Tony never look away and he let her release her fury without judgment.   Liatto was dead his face so disfigured that he looked like the elephant man. 

Tony moved from the hood of the car to the trunk of the car and handed her the shovel.  She looked at him and nodded then she hit Liatto several times in the head with the shovel.  Tony ran towards her as she swung one last time exhaustedly.

No love the shovel is for you to cover his head up with the surrounding dirt.

She looked at him and yelled   

Fanculo No, non se lo merita, lascia che la formica lo abbia!

Tony shook his head and took the shovel and covered the head of Liatto.  He then put the shovel in the trunk and turned the headlights of the car on.  He walked around to ensure they left nothing behind not even the paper bags from their sandwiches.  Frankie was in the car still angry; so angry that she never said a word on the drive back to there home. 

Tony got her home and asked her about her father she looked at him and her eyes said it all.  She didn't want to talk to him about her father nor did she want to go see him.

The next day

Tony arose in the morning he did the triple S then dressed an looked at Frankie who was still sleep in bed.  She tossed and turned in bad all night, Tony didn't sleep well at all so getting up early was not a problem.  He walked into the kitchenette and grabbed some leftovers and a glass of wine.  He ate roasted chicken and garlic bread the wine was a french chardonnay.   He took a picture of Frankie with him it was a current one with her in a silver dress that was taken in NY at the Cotton Club. 

He left the apartment and walked out of the building towards his car.  He looked up and saw three of his men coming into the building and they turned around and followed him.  Tony got into the car with his security team and they drove off heading towards the airport.  Tony boarded a plane to New York with his men.  They landed hours later and they climbed into a cab heading to sing sing correctional facility.  His men looked at each other and started talking about how bad lucky it would be to walk in there on your own.  Tony heard and dismissed the comments as old wives tells. 

Tony was met by the chief of the prison guards, he escorted Tony to the visitors lounge.  Then Francesca father appeared in hand cuffs and leg irons.  He sat there looking at him as he looked back at Tony. 

Frank asked

Do I know you sir?

Tony smiled and shook his head no then he said in that Dicaprio way a low voice in a tone and posture of power.  

No you don't.  I was a small child when you left Sicily.  When you left your daughter.  You remember her Francesca-Messina?  She here in America now.  She's a made woman and has a following you would be proud of her.  She's a smart woman soon to be my wife.  I'm Tony Dicaprio or the now famed DiCaprio in Sicily.  Your father and our family did a lot of business together. 

Here is a picture of her.  One day she may want to visit you but please understand that if that day should come and you refuse her or refuse any thing she may request of you; the men here in this prison that will now protect you will turn the other hand against you.  That's by my hand, I wont let her bear the weight of killing her own father. 

Keep the picture, study it, on the back of the frame is our address send her a letter or two but again don't say anything to anger her.  One day she may bring forth my seed.  We will be going back to Sicily to visit your Father when we return she may have a message for you from your papa. 

Oh yeah Liatto is dead, that was by your daughter's hand.  If you had a issue with him you can rest because she stumped his brains out seriously she stumped it out of him.  I think you should never underestimate her she's a hand full.  That's not her first kill either.  Back in Sicily she must have had a dozen kills under her belt.  Yes I gave her her first pistol we would shoot pears off of trees then one day she got a wild hair in her rear and decided to kill an man that irritated your papa.  That was her first and it got good to her so good that she killed with a knife and a shoot gun.  But those are stories she will one day tell you herself if she ever decides to for give you for abandoning her.

What brings me here is what you are thinking? Trust me it's not to see you nor is it to tell you all the things you missed while you live in this rat forsaken shithole but to let you know that I'm setting you up to live a little bit better like a man of honor should.  That I will try to square things back home for you.  She go the money she got new connections and me I got her.  Why am I doing this you are asking yourself. 

I want Frankie to have some f/n rest your actions have caused her great pain and has hindered my ability to give her all my love without explaining why and proving I'm nothing like you.  When she can rest and receive then I can be happy and maybe product an heir.  So until then you will live good, screw me over and your life is forfeited that same day.  I'm a man of my word, your going to be my father in law so enjoy the meals and the extra yard time and the security that makes you a valued prisoner.  Just remember you piss the woman in that picture frame and you will not wake up in the morning. 

Tony smiled and before her father could say a word the guards came and took him away.  Tony stood and waved goodbye and walked out of the prison and back into a cab with the three men he came with back to the airport.  He knew it would be late when he returned home and Frankie may have a bit of anger in her when she finds out where he went.   

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Frogs, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL