Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 00:08:44
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
GAME CHANGE: Getting it right on the 2nd try. Started by: Squishy on Oct 05, '10 00:09

A month or two back, we implemented an additional wackback death save.  The more BGs you had, the better chance you had of them jumping in the way and taking the hit for you.  Some users came forward and explained their view on it that it was biased towards those with big connections and big bucks - able to stack up tons of bgs and have an advantage over players who could not do so.  Well, enough people voiced their concerns that we took it serious, and decided on a way to accomplish the same 50/50 additional save - without it requiring the big bucks.

The new code implemented is in the very last stage of wackback death, 50% of wackback deaths in the final step will be a situation where you have a shoot-out with police that does not end well.  (All odds of getting to this stage are the same as before, we just changed the RP message to have it fit in RP wise).  If it determines that you will have a shootout with the police rather than the other 50% pool of messages, it checks to see if you have bribed the local police to protect you from a police shootout (wackback death scenario) (Manage menu, CDs/Xfers/Donations page), and if so, they will recognize you and let you go.  Each bribe lasts for 7 days.

This does not gaurantee that you will not wackback death... this just adds in an additional 50% chance at the very end of the code of being able to avoid a confrontation with the police that would have originally resulted in a shootout where you die.

Here is the flow in how it deals with wackback death.

You roll a certain number on your wack roll that triggers the wackback death code (1%)

If you trigger wackback death code, it then checks to see how above average your defense is (0-50ish% chance of save depending on your defense)

Do you have a BG that will take the hit for you (only 1 bg is required, regardless of his HP, additional BGs do not benefit you here) 50% chance of save.

Do you have a high vote score (0-25% chance of save depending on vote score)

Have you tipped the police in the past week (50% chance of save)

Live... or Die.

A credit costs approximately $200-250k, something that a wacker can easily afford with in game money on a weekly basis - this is a much more fair and broad approach rather than the "stack up 50 bgs to protect you" which, in hindsight, gave an advantage to a select few and has now been removed.

Report Post Tip

Squishy for president Yay!

Report Post Tip

I have been sitting back over the last few months watching this whole Wackback scenario take place and while I understand the need for some kind of Wackback feature in the game for RP sake, I have to be honest and say that this whole wackback thing has gotten way out of hand. I can totally understand where folks are coming from and particularly those who used to play in the old country. I have heard all the arguments for and against over the last few months. Its getting to the stage where every wacker in the game is getting afraid of taking a shot for fear of the dreaded death wackback. It was never like this back in the old .org and forgive me for saying this but......

.....isnt this place supposed to be a return to the game that we all loved so well. In the beginning when there werent many folks around and it was a struggle to keep new members interested the game had a change where features were introduced to keep the wack happy folks at bay and allow newer members a chance to stay and take a look around. This resulted in a city wide campaign to allow new folks 48 hours to find shelter. Various lengths have been tried and tested to focus the game around RolePlay and the whole concept of Wackback has been totally distorted along the way.

Back on the original game, Wackback was based on skill. Granted this was not always the case but you definately did not have accomplished wackers falling like swatted flies week after week. There is absolutely no skill involved in wackback any more. Its nothing short of a bad roll of the dice. Yes, there are arguments which speak about guns in the day being bad, and other arguments suggesting that there are a lot more shots being fired nowadays and this is why there are so many Wackback deaths. But I just dont buy it.

On the original game, you had to miss FIRST before you wackbacked. People who took on impossible shots or shots out of their league would sometimes 1% the shot and sometimes wackback from their miss. Guys running around as prowackers on defence ran the risk of shooting themselves in the foot with their peashooters and wackbacking. But the majority of the players with decent guns could train away and the only times they would really wackback was when they tried to shoot someone with greater defence than the shot they were firing. Folks with bodyguards would find that their bodyguards were shooting back to protect them.

You have crazy scenarios now where bums lying on the street asleep in the gutter are firing back left right and centre and killing folks who wouldnt normally miss. Yes, people move and can shoot back but ACTIVE people move. Anyone with half a trained shot should be able to kill a sleeping bum on the street. And especially they should be able to kill the bums that they paid for whose only job is to stand there and wait for the fatal bullet to arrive. The chances of being surrounded by police trying to kill you for shooting at an inactive bum who nobody cares about in my eyes should be very slim.

Folks have been trying to say this for ages and every time someone speaks up, they are shot down in flames. I understand that the stats add up and that yes there is a 1% of wackback death or whatever the % is. But is this small percentage happening under the right conditions i.e. the way it used to be like mentioned above or is this purely a forced percentage just to tally up the stats. It seems to me that measures are being put in place to justify the whole roll of the dice.

Guys, you have done a fantastic job with this place. I absolutely love it here which is why I spend so much of my wacking life on the game. I like to train a gun. Is it a crime? Should I really be afraid taking a shot at an inactive bum for fear of wackback? And yeah, ive heard all these arguments among the minority about 'every time you use your gun you take a risk'. Yes I know I take a risk but like I said, Should I really be taking a risk shooting at someone I have paid 200K + for to just lay there and take the fatal bullet. I really cannot understand the concept of experienced wackers wackbacking on these MIAs. There are a lot of skilled wackers on the game that have been trying hard to train a gun and wackbacking again and again and again from shooting MIAs.

This new idea is a step forward in one way, but surely the whole central concept of wackback needs to be looked at again. The vast majority of folks here like to come, train their gun and protect their families. The amount of shots from month to month should testify to this.

Report Post Tip

"so much of my wacking life", definately a Freudian slip, Im sure this should have read WAKING life, lol

Report Post Tip

Firstly, thank you Squishy for listening to reason.

Taurus, I see what your saying, but every RPG has a chance of fecking up, online and offline. D&D a Lvl 20th Fighter still has a 5% chance each attack of having a critical failure. In Cyberpunk its more like 10% even if you have 12 reflexes and a maxed out Gun skill. Fatal Wackback in the game is a very small percentage, I mean very small. 1% per shot and then all the added percentages after that before you actually die.

I'm not saying this from the perspective of being a non wacker either. I died of WB at Don only last week, and I'd dare say it was a really, really unlucky roll. For a start it was my second serious WB in only a week, then a 1% roll on shot, then I reckon I had above average defence. I had my 1 BG. I guess in hindsight training my gun on Mug answers was just a bad Idea. It is quite probably the suckiest way to die in game, getting killed by Premeir is even less of an insult. However, it is the way of things, if you want to train that hand cannon, then you take the risk of dying. He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Its the price we pay for the lives we live. Yes the game is based on the old .org, but it has changed significantly, enough that it took me, a seasoned player of 8 years a while to master all the little nuances and changes impliamented since I decided to take a break in 2007.

Just saying is all.

Report Post Tip

"Its getting to the stage where every wacker in the game is getting afraid of taking a shot for fear of the dreaded death wackback."

No they are not.  There have always, and I mean ALWAYS, been a large group of people who were afraid of the risks that accompany the life of a hitman.  The difference is, in the past they would not train their guns.  It never used to be a given that every Tom, Dick, and Sally had to be a hitman.  Being a hitman was for an elite select few who understood the risks involved, understood that they were marked for death should their family be attacked, and were willing to accept these consequences as the price you pay for the glory of defending your family.  These days, for some odd reason, it seems everyone feels obligated to train their guns, but there remains a percentage of people who are not cut out for it.

Those who are afraid of taking a shot out of fear of wackback are not cut out to be hitmen.  That's fine.  Go hone your oratory skills instead.  God knows we could use some more interesting material on the streets.  Lately those streets have been boring the fuck out of me.  Did I mention that I hate all of you?  Anyhow, if you want to be a hitman, you can't take life so seriously.  When death comes, either by an enemy's bullets or by the dreaded wackback, a hitman has to shrug his or her shoulders, create a new account, and start training all over again.

Considering that these days people have the benefits of a shooting range, MIAs, RIAs, bodyguard kills, Durdens, and an accelerated ranking pace in order to assist in gun training, it really should not be that big of a deal to start over.  Death HAS to be a part of this game.  Every time I hear someone complaining about the death aspect of the game, whether it be wackback, "innocents" being killed, too many wars, or whatever, I want to punch a nun in the face.

Report Post Tip

Im not arguing against any of the points Quoth or faceman are saying. I realise totally that death is a part of this game and it comes to us all and more especially if you take the route of being a hitter. I also realise the difference between what we have here and what we had back in the old country. To be fair, this place is a lot better in a lot of ways. Im not trying to bitch or moan, im bringing a point of view. I dont speak a lot but when I do have something to say, im not afraid of voicing that point of view.

Im simply saying that from a role playing perspective, which gun is more likely to fail? The gun being held by a seasoned wacker shooting an immobile target or the gun of a non wacker shooting at something a lot harder than he can cope with? What im questioning is the way the wackback is being handled? Should it be simply based on the roll of a dice or should it be based on skill, situation? I said from the beginning that I am totally for the concept of wackback. It adds a degree of reality into the game.

Report Post Tip

After such a well spoken expose from Taurus I am very grateful that somebody had the willingness to invest so much time and explain so perfectly what I have felt for months. (I wish I could say years, but I also met this game in 2009)

I believe it's an absolute travesty to die from IA hunting. This is supposed to be a game. And in a game "too" much realism can be bad. I come here to have fun, not to have to accept the fact that a single click *in training* can be my own demise.

I do like hearing about this new change being put into place and I am definitely be one to use it, but I believe that one shouldn't die just from hunting IAs.

I realize I would want to say much more on the subject, but I also don't like to repeat what other people said just be make fillers...

Report Post Tip

Lets ignore RP for a minute.  Wackback is part of a checks and balance system.  Every single stat needs to have some sort of limit, whether it be a "hard coded max" or a risk that is taken.  We have been very very lucky in the recent past that the people at the top have been very responsible.  Lets put some devil horns on Satanta and play out that scenario for a minute.  He gets to 800 kills, gets bored with being on top for a year and says... "Fuck it.".  He systematically kills every crewleader when they reach 300 kills, keeping them way way way below the threshold of risk.  People are afraid to bother putting in the work to take him down knowing deep down inside they will die before they get to that point required to be successful.  So people don't try.  Fast forward 2 years, Sat is sitting on a 2700 kill gun, the distance between him and the rest is now huge.  How does this snowball effect runaway stats account get stopped?  Sure, I've embellished some of the numbers to prove the point, but the theory has been proven multiple times.  This is how it actually works.

Most of the big guys chose to slow down or stop their wacking once they reach a certain mental goal.  This is a self imposed limit by themselves to minimize risk.  I have always thought that you should control your own fate by making your own decisions and taking your own risks - and at the same time, decide if its worth it.  I never really want to put hard coded caps on things to keep the users in check.  Throughout the years we have pitched a few ways to accomplish this.  Last year we worked on a wack/defense system that limited the amount of BGs someone could buy based upon the top guns in the game - basically keeping a balance between the best defenses in the game tied to the best offenses in the game.  We also planned out an idea of "Only the last 6 months of work counts towards your stats" - basically keeping it so that no account can become a runaway account, the best best best account today, could be met by a brand new account created today in 6 months time.  We've toyed with the idea of diminishing return of high end stats.  A wack may count as a +1 now, maybe a .9 when you hit X kills, a .8 when you hit XX kills, .7 when you hit XXX kills, and so on - basically slowing down the run away stats scenarios.

All of these ideas have been met with extreme resistance, but the simple fact is something needs to be in place to avoid people logging in every day wondering if they will get the graveyard screen for no reason.

Please do not take this as an insult, but.. the users have a very poor track record when dealing with oppressive tyrants.  When a tyrant gets to the top it can ruin the gameplay for everyone for a very long time.  That risk of death, no matter how small, limits their damage to high rankers who are a real threat.  If there were no risk of death, then one single person can drop 24 people a day, (realistically maybe 10 a day), every day, for a long long long time.   There is no reason to limit your shots to the high rankers, why not take out the gangsters/goombas/earners/anyone who is in your city.  Once you are a tyrant, its better to be a thorough one and eliminate them all - thus keeping yourself on top until you get bored and leave.

If anyone ever puts forth a better idea thatn what we have already come up with or tried to put into place - I am all for it.  Wackback is an ugly necessity for the game - or at least something that accomplishes the same thing is. 

Report Post Tip

Thank you Squishy for taking the time out to explain the whys and wherefores (is there such a word? dunno) of the current system. I guess its the better of two or three different evils to have it like it is. I like that idea of stats ceasing after 6 months, or even slowing down but I can understand that there will be advantages and disadvantages to all routes.

Report Post Tip

I've never had a problem with any of the rules or the way the game was coded (other than I hate PP and as a protest I'll never use it. lmao). I think FakeMan said it best so there's no need for me to repeat him. What I would like to see is the old Wackback code implemented. You know the one where instead of being on Wack or Defense answers, us as players (not the IAs), could be on Wackback answers. Made people find out a little more information about someone before shooting at them in a war or just for shits and giggles.

Sort of like, give the Wackback abilities back to the players and not the IAs. I think that would solve alot and make shooting in general a little more interesting. 

Can that be done or is it impossible?

Report Post Tip

I like that idea:-D Those WB answerset were fun back in the day, lol

Report Post Tip

I second that Taurus. I see you're ole skool as well. Wackback answers could also lower the numbers of wack answer members. People could choose wackback answers, bg up, and then train their gun. That would be a deadly account. 

Report Post Tip

What I would like to see is the old Wackback code implemented. You know the one where instead of being on Wack or Defense answers, us as players (not the IAs), could be on Wackback answers. Made people find out a little more information about someone before shooting at them in a war or just for shits and giggles.

Sort of like, give the Wackback abilities back to the players and not the IAs. I think that would solve alot and make shooting in general a little more interesting.

Can that be done or is it impossible?

I am a little unsure what you mean.  There isnt any "wackback" answers now or prior, at least not in the 8 years I've been doing this :)  I think these answers are only found in story books right next to "Blackjack answers" and SantaClause :)

Report Post Tip

Are sure of this Squishy?

If I'm not mistaken it was 2001 when I had the answers for all skills (this was the .org version though). Prowacking and Jailbreakers used to be a skills you could choose answers for as well. Maybe I'm going waaaayyyy over alot of peoples heads here. Most people I talk to have been here 2 years at the most. I feel like a dinosaur. = /

Then again it could be the kaya.

Report Post Tip

"You have crazy scenarios now where bums lying on the street asleep in the gutter are firing back left right and centre and killing folks who wouldnt normally miss. Yes, people move and can shoot back but ACTIVE people move. Anyone with half a trained shot should be able to kill a sleeping bum on the street. And especially they should be able to kill the bums that they paid for whose only job is to stand there and wait for the fatal bullet to arrive. The chances of being surrounded by police trying to kill you for shooting at an inactive bum who nobody cares about in my eyes should be very slim." 

Brilliant! ha ha! Moron!

Try shooting a bum in the middle of central park - see if you don't get surrounded by cops telling you to 'drop the weapon'

Report Post Tip

Whoa... little hostility, there, fella... You have a point, but still. Was the insult needed?

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: Getting it right on the 2nd try.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL