Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 21:53:11
Page:  1 
Picking a New Home: Accepting Invites to Crews Started by: Maggie on May 22, '18 15:02
There is always a lot of talk about how to pick a good candidate to join your crew. But I’m wondering how do you decide which invitation to accept? What sorts of things make you want to join a crew and what sorts of things make you feel as though you don’t want to after being contacted? What have you seen crew leaders and sponsors do really well in the past and what sort of things do you wish they would avoid doing? When making critical remarks please don’t name names. ;)
Report Post Tip
Here's how I go about it. Ask questions to the sponsor/leader ask them things that if they answer will suit your personality or ask them how they plan to work with you and help you.
Report Post Tip

I say talk to the members of the crew/city as well, get a feel for the people you'll be sharing an HQ with. Ask them why they chose the crew they did. I find it helps a lot in establishing rapport with them as well as helping you make up your mind. 

Report Post Tip
I wish they would stop offering me free candy to get in the van, and when I get in the van there’s no candy.
Report Post Tip

Alejandrito lays his hand on Donny_Donowitz's shoulder
I am sorry to hear that, man.. How often did you fall for that? I only learned after three or four times. I think we have all been there..

As little Alex recomposes, he looks at Maggie and says
If you are lucky enough to have your work on small jobs being noticed by any of the crew leaders, engage into a conversation with them. Be honest, describe your skills, tell them of how you see yourself in the near and further future.
If you have a good feeling and you get an invitation, simply go for it!

Report Post Tip

Gotta watch out for those guys driving vans... quite dangerous.  ;)  So far some sound advice here guys - maybe some younger person can make good use of it. 

Me, personally, I'm turned on by a crew leader who goes out of their way to have an original task for me to do in those first jobs that are offered to us.  And I know that some folks really hate getting cold called, but for me, it's kinda the opposite.  I kinda like having a leader looking out in the streets for new people, spotting me, and dropping a line to get to know me.  After all, even if i didn't choose to run with their crew, it can lead to a mutually beneficial working relationship down the road.  And, of course, those who talk with me in the streets because it's a good indicator that they are willing/able to make time for those who need them.

I also have to admit that I've never looked down my nose at someone who comes bearing gifts.  I've heard stories about women in my distant past who had help from strangers and that made all the difference for them in getting started in their lives - it was kindness they never forgot and always felt obliged to pass on to other people who were new to this life.

That's just some of the things I've seen and heard about folks doing that I think can entice someone to consider a crew.  I'd love to here more of your thoughts if you guys have them to share.

Report Post Tip
Vans and candy aside. I would prefer an active and fun crew over a crew that has little to no communication and kicks ass. Thankfully I’m very lucky to be in a good crew all around and my forefathers were also very fortunate in that aspect.
Report Post Tip

Karnage was walking around, enjoying the nice day. It was relatively breezy outside, and for once it was not raining. Those hot beautiful days on the west coast seemed to be a rarity in the spring. He overheard a conversation going and decided to chime in his two cents. 

"Good afternoon Maggie. You pose an excellent question. I really don't like to use the word "crew" when referring to the several that are spread across this country. I rather like to refer to them as families."

After clearing his throat and lighting a cigarette he continues

"Picking the right family to join, may be the single most important decision you make. So When I join a family I am loyal to that family and that leader from day one. Some examples of what I look for are active leaders that put forth the same effort for their families as the family puts forth for them, I look for families with active members that work as a team and help each other out, and I also tend to stray away from those sponsors who don't put forth any effort in the mails they send. "

Karnage takes another drag of his smoke and finishes up

"When looking for a family to join, I want to know as much about that family as I can, as the prospective leader/sponsor wants to learn as much as they can about me."

Karnage disappears into the crowd and goes on about his business, hoping that he helped shed some light and answered Maggie's question thoroughly.

Report Post Tip

Alejandrito looked at Maggie..

Gifts?

he paused there for a bit..

He knew that the only gift that any of Alejandrito's forefathers and -mothers ever got was one of the transmitted diseases from the wide array owned that Reginald's family line had picked over the years. Little Alex made no other reaction to Maggie than some nods, but after Donny_Donowitz replied, the small man answered in words again

Yes, I fully agree. You only live once, make the best of every life you live!

Then Karnage stepped up, correcting Maggie's terminology, saying what Alejandrito thought was obvious about loyalty and then adding some words about working together and working hard. As Karnage blew out some smoke, Alejandrito turned his head away

Excuse me, Karnage, how would a newcomer know what people are working hard within the family, can you always recognize the activity within a crew, sorry.. family, from the outside?

Little Alex turned back his head as he continued

So, what I..

He suddenly didn't see Karnage anymore

Damnit, he already left, Alejandrito sighed, as he felt an urge for candy again

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Picking a New Home: Accepting Invites to Crews
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL