Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 20:38:11
Page:  1 
Lion's Teeth Started by: Kittie on May 23, '18 05:10

Katherine Murphy sat in a cramped hotel room and rubbed her blood sticky hands together. The day had ended badly, and she had no idea where she was going to go, or what she was going to do now that she had killed William O'Shaunessy, one of the most ruthless debt collectors on the West Coast.  She sniffled, the drafty window was making her colder than she had already been feeling for the last few hours. 

"At least Declan is safe."  She blew out a breath of air and reached for a cigarette before she remembered they were in her coat, which was in Declan's car, which was at the bottom of Lake Merideth with Bill O'Shaunessy's beaten, shot, burned and now most likely, waterlogged body.  

"Feck."  The events of the last two months tumbled around in her head, making her dizzy, and despite the cold she cracked open the window and let in fresh air.  It was the first time she'd really moved for hours, and spurred on by necessity she stumbled to the small sink and began to wash her hands under a rush of brownish, icy cold water.  As she scrubbed her skin pink she took deep calming breaths and tried not to focus on what she'd done earlier but it was impossible not to hear the gunshot, and to see the blood.  Of course, she was defending herself and her brother, but O'Shaunessy had a lot of the police force in his pocket and there was no telling who's side they'd take when they realised a healthy paycheck had been cut off. 

Katherine had two older brothers and a twin sister and all four of them had been taught to sing hymns at church, how to sew up their own clothes at home, and to box in the streets.  Deirdre took to it faster than Katherine, but even though she was a slow study, once she learned a skill it was hers for life.  Her eldest brother Eoghan had joined the army and died overseas in the Great War, their father died during the Flu epidemic which left Declan, Deirdre and Katherine to raise themselves, which led to the matter at hand. 

Declan had begun to box for money and everything was fine until Bill O'Shaunessy decided he was going to be Declan's manager.  Declan refused the offer and the threat Bill made when he demanded that Declan owed him backpay for all of his previous fights.  Declan told Bill where to get off, and Bill had 2 of his thugs break Declan's left hand.  While he was recovering the money Declan owed Bill stacked up and Bill's men made visits to the house on a regular basis.  It was on the last one of these trips that Bill himself came by and all hell broke loose. 

Katherine sneezed and was brought back to the moment at hand.  She put down the blood tainted soap and toweled off, nearly jumping out of her skin when she heard a knock at the door.  She grabbed her pearl handled revolver and crept to the door, trying to get a glimpse of her visitor through the window first.  She breathed an audible sigh of relief when she saw it was her best friend Star.  She must have gotten the telegram she'd sent just hours earlier.  But how had she gotten there so fast?  It didn't matter, as long as she was there to help. 

She swung open the door and grabbed Star's hand, dragging her inside before slamming the door.

"Star, thank the Lord. I have so much to tell you!" 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Starshine had come to the states as a young girl and had learned quickly how to act American. Her mother had chastised her frequently for speaking with an accent, going so far as to burn her tongue with a hot iron. Star had thanked God above and all his saints when her mother and father had been killed in a boating accident, leaving her to the care of her Aunt Clara and her live-in companion Jeanette. The both of them encouraged Star to be her best and while they both practiced the arts that would have sent her mother flying to her knees to pray for the salvation of the two women. 

She'd never taken to the craft as a whole, sticking somewhere in the middle between it and her extremely religious upbringing, but many of the things her aunts had taught her had come in useful. They had helped her learn how to grow and store herbs, make dressings and poultices, and mix herbs together to make teas for many common ailments. She had even considered, after moving to Philidelphia, of opening up a tea shop to sell her wares but for now, she relied on word of mouth and friends just like Kittie Murphy. The young woman was one of the few people she felt comfortable enough around to slip into the old Irish accent she'd grown up with, forsaking the American one she'd had to adopt to survive. 

Upon knocking on Kittie's door, she was surprised as her friend dragged her inside with urgency. Sheepishly, she held up the brown paper bag which held several satchels of fragrant tea, many of which were intended for Declan himself as he had hardly been able to sleep or relax since old man O'Shaunessy had been barking down his throat. 

"I uh, I brought yer tea and some for Decco as well. You doin alright darlin'? You look half scared out of your mind!"

Report Post Tip

"Star, come in come in."  Katherine pulled her best friend through the rickety doorway and shut the door behind her, ushering the slightly confused looking woman to sit on the shoddy motel bed.  "I'm sorry for dragging you to a place like this, and I'm sorry Dec's not here, but I have a lot to explain."  She took a deep breath and sighed.  "Do you have any cigarettes??"

Report Post Tip

Star fumbled in her purse and pulled out a small tin, opening the lid to offer Kittie one, taking one for herself as well. She struck a match and lit it, shaking the stick afterward to put it out before taking a drag and holding her breath for a minute. When she exhaled, smoke poured out of her nose and lips as she waited for Kittie to tell her what was truly going on. 

"You've piqued my interest now darlin', I'm curious what's got you in such a tizzy? Also, don't mind the tea for now, it will keep. I'm sure Declan won't mind having to wait a few days for a new batch."

Report Post Tip

"Declan might have to wait more than a few days.  He's on the lam like I am.  Oh Lord it's a real mess."  Katherine lit her cigarette and sagged onto the bed next to Star.  "I want to prepare you, because I can barely believe it myself, but... oh god."  Her hands fluttered, brushing ash from her skirt.  "I killed a man Star.  I killed William O'Shaunessy and me and Declan are on the run." She finished her cigarette and took a deep, shuddering breath.  "That monster came to our house, after his thugs had already been by and broken Dec's hand.  He wanted money but we didn't have any, not even after Deirdre took a job as a fan dancer and I started doing odd delivery jobs.  Well Dec and Bill got in a shouting match and Deirdre and I came in to help.  From there is became a brawl and while Deirdre punched out the thug Bill brought along, Declan and I worked on William himself, trying to keep him for doing Declan anymore harm. 

Well, one thing led to another and I ended up using Dad's revolver, the one he gave me for my birthday before he died.  One shot is all it takes you know?  I barely missed Declan.  Anyhow, Deirdre and I dragged Bill to Dec's car, and then took Bill's car to the lake to pick up Dec.  Declan had already burnt his car and Bill's body and asked us to help him push the car down the hill into the lake.  We made sure it went in deep.  Then the three of us took Bill's car and drove until we ran out of gas.  From there it was just an effort to get all three of us enough money to go off in three separate ways.  I decided to come to you and see if I can hide out here on the East coast?  What do you think Star?  You and me together again?" 

Report Post Tip

Star listened quietly as Kittie relayed her story. Her friend was shaking like a leaf and it made the whole bed quake as she detailed how she and Dierdre had subdued O'Shaunessy and eventually killed him. No matter how long she had been a part of the mafia, the killing still got to her as well and she brought her hand over her mouth in reaction to what Kittie had told her. 

She reached for her friend's hand and took it tightly, her lips pressed together in a thin line as she nodded with determination. 

"Kittie, you know you can count on me for whatever you need. I uh, I have a spare bed in my flat if you need a place to stay. It's not much to look at, I try to keep a low profile and I have all of my herbs and flowers all over the place but I'm sure we can figure it out. Do, do you need protection? I know someone who could take care of anybody who comes after you if you need?"

Report Post Tip

"Oh Star, that would be wonderful.  I just can't be alone right now."  Katherine stood up and went to the window.  "I want to get out of here as soon as possible.  I can pay you rent if you'd like, and I love your herbs and flowers, you know that."  She whirled around and grabbed Star's hand.  "Just please tell me I'll be safe someday?  O'Shaunessy has plenty of friends.  All I can do is hope that none of his men knew where he had gone."  She let go of Star and peeked out the window.  "Oh do let's get going?  I want to get some clean clothes and some pie." 

Report Post Tip

Star stood up and placed the tin of cigarettes back inside her purse. She brushed the wrinkles out of her skirt before approaching Kittie who was staring out the window. 

"Don't worry about rent, the landlady would probably be glad to see someone like you there." She thought of the irritated face of Maggie who disapproved of the near constant stream of people who came to Star's door. Most of them were simply clients and were polite to Miss Maggie but a few of them had other business with Star and she always had to remind them to keep their P's and Q's. As Kittie grabbed her hand, she smiled reassuringly, pulling her dear friend into a gentle hug.

"Katherine, nobody in this world knows exactly what's going to happen to them but as long as you're with me, I'll be damned if I let any trouble come to you. I agree though, it's high time we got out of this seedy place. I've got a spare set of clothes and a bathroom that has hot water, no boiling kettles to take our baths! Come on then, let's go."

She and Kittie played it safe, checking around doors and heading out the back of the building before skirting the perimeter and heading out to where Star had parked her car. The silver Ford wasn't too fancy but it was fast and got her where she needed to go. She started the car which roared to life, and settled to a moderate roar as they pulled away from the curb and headed to the heart of Philly. 

Star's flat was close enough to her HQ in a well-lit area of town. Her block was one of the more quiet ones and as she pulled up to the building, she smiled and touched the brim of her pillbox hat as Maggie shook out a sheet from the balcony of her own flat. The old woman pursed her lips at the sight of Star bringing yet another person home but softened considerably when she saw the bedraggled and still frightened young woman who stepped out instead. After exchanging a quick greeting, Star ushered Kittie up to her flat and opened the door, letting out the smell of dried lavender, chamomile, sage, and rosemary. The place was crowded but cheery as Star showed Kittie to her spare bedroom and cleared a stack of linens off the duvet.  "You can sleep here, I hope it's alright. Get yourself cleaned up and then we can go down to the pie shop a few blocks over. They have the most amazing peach pie there!"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip
Katherine finally relaxed a little as she and Star sped away from the motel she’d been hiding in. Once on their way the two girls chatted like they hadn’t a care in the world. Even though she’d driven a lion’s share of the way from her home on the West Coast, it was still quite a drive back to Philly. Katherine had grown up on the East Coast, which is where she met Star and became her best friend, but she’d moved after her father passed away so Declan could have better opportunities as an up and coming young boxer. Little did they know that old world trouble would come to them in the form of a shakedown artist named Bill O’Shaunessy. Now that Bill was dead, and Declan was on the run, Katherine hoped that she could start her life over as Kittie with Star as her guide. Once they got to Star’s apartment Kittie cleaned herself up and changed clothes, then came back out to the cozy living room.

“I’m ready for that pie now Star!”
Report Post Tip

As Kittie got herself cleaned up and into new clothes, Star bustled around her house. She rearranged piles of herbs and boxes of silk which she used to tie up the bags of tea she prepared for many of the local residents. Despite not being one herself, being raised by two women who called themselves witches definitely had benefitted her in learning how to make a poultice or a salve for the skin as well as being quite adept at making herbal blends of teas that, if nothing else, helped make others feel better. 

Kittie stepped out of the restroom looking as fresh as a daisy and smelling faintly of citrus and bergamot. She looked cute dressed in one of Star's drop-waisted dresses with a peter-pan collar. Star fetched a pair of hose and some heeled shoes, handing them to Kittie as she smiled sweetly. "You look just like Clara Bow in that outfit. I know just the hat that would compliment it too seeing as your hair is still wet. Do you want to put it curlers before we go?"

Report Post Tip

"I'll pass on the curlers darling, but I'll say yes to the hat, you know what they say, go out with wet hair, risk getting a cold."  Kittie smiled at Star and took her arm as they stepped out of the apartment.  They got into Star's Ford and headed to a local cafe, Star promising her that the best pie in North America could be had there.  Kittie nodded and stared out the window, finally feeling like she could calm down some and enjoy herself.  Anxiety melted away as city lights briefly illuminated the interior, sending stripes across the two girls as they passed most of downtown.  Eventually they pulled up in front a small brick building that was nestled between a laundry and a bank, both of which are closed.  After a brief adjustment to her hem and a tilt of her hat, Kittie stepped out of the car, ready for pie. 

Report Post Tip

Star parked along the curb and stepped out of her Packard, swinging the key fob on her finger so that it jangled when it hit her palm. Clutching the keys tightly she shut the door and stepped around the front of the car to hold the door open for Kittie. "Here we are, Edie's bakery! I've been thinking of setting up my tea shop close by, what do you think? She gets a lot of traffic, especially in the morning and the afternoon and I've been selling a few bags of tea from the front counter so people already know what I have to offer."

She nodded thoughtfully as she pushed the door to the bakery open, greeted by a plump woman in her late forties. "Oh, Star! I was hoping I'd see you today darling, whose your friend? I'm going to be needing more of that chamomile tea, Jessie bought up the last of the bags for her daughter who's been sick with the croup. Anyway, what can I get for you dear?" Edie stepped away from the counter, wiping her hands on her apron as she approached the girls in her bakery. Both Star and Kittie took a seat close to the counter and a warm but amused smile crossed Edie's place as she could hear Star's stomach grumble loudly.

"Guess I haven't eaten for a bit Edie, I'm famished. I brought my friend Kittie here for some of your legendary peach pie but do you think I could get a meatloaf sandwich as well? What'll you have Kittie? My treat."

Report Post Tip

Kittie stepped into the small establishment and was greeted warmly by the owner and the delicious smells of home cooked food and baked desserts.  She sat next to Star and nodded her hello at the woman she assumed was Edie.  She tried not to giggle when she heard Star's stomach growling, then realised she was just as hungry.  

"Your treat you say?  Well in that case I'll have the pot roast!  And for dessert a slice of cherry pie."  She paused.  "Oh!  And a cup of coffee to start please?"  She smiled widely at Edie and then at Star.  "It's been a lion's age since I've had home cooked food." 

Report Post Tip

Edie nodded, a twinkle in her eye as she took Katherine's order and jotted down Star's as well. "I'll be right out with those ladies, starting with the coffee for you miss and Star, you want a hot tea or milk?" Star looked thoughtful and then asked for milk to go with her meal. In just a few moments, Edie brought the cups out and then scuttled back to the kitchen to chat with the cook while he served up the food that she was legendary for. 

Star leaned across the table after taking a sip of milk and took Kittie's hand in hers. "Listen, I've been thinking a bit and I don't know how you'll think of me, but I've gotta be honest with you. A few months ago, I ran into some trouble and was having a hard time making ends meet. Long story short, that trouble ended up giving me a job that I would never have thought I'd be capable of doing but it turns out I'm pretty good at it. I, I know you're worried about what happened with your brother but I can offer you a certain amount of protection. You don't even have to do anything, this isn't one of those things where you'd owe me. I want to help, I want to see you safe and not looking over your shoulder every time the bell over the door chimes."

She sat back as Edie delivered their food, thanking her profusely before turning back to Kittie once Edie had left. "What do you think? Do you think you'd be okay with a little extra backup?"

Report Post Tip

Kittie stirred her coffee then leaned in to listen to Star.  She took her food from Edie and dug in to the pot roast, her eyes almost watering at how good it tasted and how much like home cooked food it really was.  She was wondering what sort of job Star did, but she wasn't going to ask about it in public.  She took another bite of food and motioned at Star with her fork. 

"What kind of backup are we talkin' about Star?  I don't want to put you out anymore than I already have.  I mean, I might be far from where I started , but that octopus had tentacles far and wide and I don't want to get you wrapped up."  

After she finished her pot roast she turned to the slice of cherry pie and ate it slowly between sips of coffee, savouring every bite she took. 

Report Post Tip

Star smiled as Kittie dug into her first home-cooked meal in a while, glad that her friend could find a little cushion of safety in the city. She knew that her friend had been through hell and what she was saying even now showed just how much fear hung in the corners like the shadows in the back alleys. Kittie was still waiting for O'Shaughnessy to jump up and come after her, all the more reason to extend the protection of her family to bring Kittie in. 

She took a bite of her sandwich, savoring the warm bite for a moment as she chewed thoughtfully. "Kittie, we're talking the kind of backup that serves fried octopus as an appetizer with your chicken parm. We have it all and you won't ever have to worry about Billy's boys coming after you again, I'm talking family." She leaned in closer, her voice a dramatic whisper so Edie couldn't hear and spoke of her boss and others who were more than capable of not just taking out the trash but making sure it was incinerated too. 

"Kittie, we can make sure Declan is safe too. You and your family won't have to hide if you take me up on my offer. I can make sure you and they are set for life. I know it's a lot to take in, but its something I do well." 

Report Post Tip

"I'll do whatever it takes to keep Declan safe Star, whatever."  She finished her coffee with a gulp and pushed it away.  "I want in, all the way in.  If you're offering to help protect me, well, I want in on that kind of clout. You know I'm good at a lot of different things and well, I don't want to just coast on your coat tails." 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Lion's Teeth
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL