Get Timers Now!
X

May 09 - 08:51:33
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Bringing Joy to Detroit Started by: Joy on Jun 17, '18 01:10

Joy looks around the room happily, satisfied with her hard work over the last few weeks.  She runs a finger over the Walnut chairs, feeling the smooth grain of the polished wood.  Everything is perfect and in place.  As she wanders around the room, taking in every aspect of the decor, she can't help but feel proud of all she has accomplished.  The stage is framed in indigo colored velvet curtains.  The sound system is top of the line, along with some sound effects from Cleon Throckmorton Inc.

Opening night jitters are getting to Joy, even though she has secured an up and coming young talent by the name of @AlexanderKnight.  She knows he will get the crowds buzzing.  She herself had been mesmerized by his voice the first time she heard him.  Joy knew he would be perfect for this place when she started planning it in her mind.  The young woman had a singing background herself and would also be singing a couple of songs later in the evening.  She dressed the part too.  Joy sports a long red jersey knit dress that clings to all the right spots.  It has a plunging neckline and a halter type bodice.  Tiny red sequins cover it entirely and she sparkles in the stage lights.  She is wearing red high heeled pumps and her hair is piled up high on her head in little ringlets.  She completes the ensemble with the pink pearl necklace and earrings given to her by her long-gone fiance', James Sullivan.  They still bring back fond memories and she smiles warmly as she thinks back to her earlier carefree days with him.

Behind the bar, there is a hand-painted sign with all the drinks and their prices. 

There is whiskey, wine, and beer available, and also champagne for the more discerning taste buds and Hires Root Beer for the non-drinking set.   They will also serve appetizers and a small dinner menu. The dining area had small round tables with white table cloths and silver candelabra center pieces and matching chairs.

Several waitresses are kept busy folding napkins and setting the tables with fine silver.  Each detail is precise and flawless.  All the girls are wearing street length black skirts and white blouses with little black bow ties.  They have on black seamed stockings and black pumps.  The bus boys wear black slacks and white shirts with black vests and bow ties as well.  Everyone is vibrant and excited as customers begin to stroll into the establishment.

The main attraction will be the music though.  There is a dance floor, it’s clear plain sawed white oak and polished to a high shine. She also placed a few comfortable upholstered chairs  around the room.  In the center of the ceiling hangs a beautiful imported chandelier.  It glistens from the light of the soft white electric bulbs.  A few pieces of artwork for gazing upon between sets.

When she is satisfied that every detail, from the menu, and drinks to the coat room hangers are perfect, she knows she is ready to open the doors.  She waits patiently for the opening act on this very important opening night.  AlexanderKnight slips in the back just a few minutes ahead of time.  He smiles at her and a feeling of relief washes over Joy’s face at the sight of him.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

His tour of Seattle had been a resounding success and the praise he had received had been overwhelming. But, even though he had wanted to stay and bask in the glory, he knew he had to return to Los Angeles for his boss would not be pleased by his prolonged absence. Bidding farewell to the fine people of Seattle and promising to return for an encore soon, Alexander boarded a plane to LA. 

Upon his return he saw a telegram from Joy awaiting him at the bar. She was opening up a place in Detroit and wanted him to perform on the opening night. Alexander wondered whether she had heard of his performance in Seattle or if she had simply enjoyed the little show he had put on at The Phoenix in LA when he served her drinks. Either way he was pleasantly surprised that he had received another request so soon. Things were certainly looking up for him.

Yet he hesitated. It would be tough to justify another absence to his boss. The possibility of him losing his job and the steady income that came with it was very real. He stood there , the luggage he had taken to Seattle still in his hands as he carefully considered what to do next. Ever since he could remember, Alexander had never been afraid of reaching out for what he wanted. Although his journey had never been easy he knew if worse came to worst he could always go back to sleeping on park benches, but if he let this opportunity go he would never be able to forgive himself.

He turned to the backup bartender and asked the woman to cover for him , rushing out before she had a chance to argue. He went back to the airport he had left less than an hour ago and boarded a flight to Detroit without looking back. This flight thankfully was a lot more comfortable than the last and he was able to grab some shut eye. 

By the time he arrived in Detroit, the sun was already beginning to set. He found the directions that had been given to him and took a cab, promising the driver extra to get him there quick as he could. The man stepped on the gas pedal and tore through the cities at a speed he would never have thought possible, eager to earn the extra tip. When the journey ended, Alexander stepped out gingerly like a sailor afraid to step on land after a rough voyage. 

Paying the cabbie his due, he made his way inside through the back door. The kitchen staff were barking orders as they hastened to get the starters done. Ducking more than a few waitresses he made his way into the club proper. The place was packed with the social elite chattering away happily as they awaited the festivities that were about to come. He rushed past the expensive decor, pausing only briefly to glance at the exquisitely designed stage as he pictured himself atop it captivating the audience. 

A few minutes later he arrived next to Joy and paused. Leaning down , he placed his palms on his knees desperately trying to catch his breath. Lifting his head up he looked at her and with a sly smile on his face he said "I apologize Miss. Got here as fast as I could after I was done saving the musically deprived West Coast." Standing up he noticed her dress and the way it hugged her curves. He seemed to stare a moment too long before tearing his eyes away. Looking at her face he continued "Come now hun. Enough worrying. You're going to ruin that beautiful face with wrinkles and that would be a tragedy.  Now, tell me, are you ready to put on the show of a lifetime?"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

When the devilish young singer begins to speak to her, Joy's  smile lights up her entire face.  Now that she knows he is here, she doesn't hesitate to introduce him to the eager and growing crowd.  Joy squints as she looks across the room, the crowd has filled the place completely in the last ten minutes while she was fretting.   She glances at him one last time and then walks out onto the stage and up to the microphone.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado I would like to introduce tonight's feature attraction:  Mr. AlexanderKnight!

The dashing singer steps out into the spotlight as if he were born there.  He exudes confidence as he saunters over to the microphone.  Joy's heart pounds wildly, and she finds herself holding her breath as she awaits his performance.

Report Post Tip

As Joy went over to the stage Alexander took a moment to talk to the band. He had been unable to get a chance to rehearse with them, but he was certain that Joy would have picked some of the best. He helped them understand the rhythm he wanted and stepped on to the stage slowly taking in the moment. The lights came out briefly blinding him as he stood next to the microphone. He could hardly make out the faces of the numerous strangers in the crowd. But he knew they were there , their eyes trained on him as they waited for him to begin.

Alexander felt the adrenaline pumping in his veins. Grabbing a hold of the microphone he smiled and said "Folks , I'd like to start of by dedicating a song to the beautiful woman who made this night possible. Give a huge round of applause to the dazzling Miss Joy everybody" Pausing to let the applause die down he took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. All worries about his job, all his exhaustion from the journey slipped , all anxieties about the strangers in front of him slipped away. All that remained was him and the microphone in his hands. 

His voice came out tenderly at first, barely a whisper as he began to sing.

It's so sad, livin' at home, Far from the city and the midnight fun
It's so bad, goin' to school, So far from me and the dirty things that we do
I'm the king of the night time world, And you're my headlight queen
I'm the king of the night time world, Come live your secret dream
It's so fine, lovin' with ease, Far from the house and the family fights
It's so fine, bein' with you, Bein' with me makes everything alright
I'm the king of the night time world, And you're my headlight queen
I'm the king of the night time world, Come live your secret dream

The sounds of the piano accompanied his melodic voice as the words escaped his lips. He tapped his foot and the drummer followed his lead while the bassist picked his moments to chime in and add depth . He opened his eyes and began swaying to the rhythm as he continued to sing. 

It's so sad, you're not content
Far from the music and the neon glow
Ain't you glad we got the time
Far from our folks, they'll never ever know
I'm the king of the night time world
And you're my headlight queen
I'm the king of the night time world
Come live your secret dream

His voice came out full of raw, palpable emotion. A gradual crescendo reached its apex as the song neared its climax. The drums cut off and Alexander's voice fell to a vulnerable whisper yet again as the last line escaped his lips, the note lingering impossibly long before it seemingly disappeared into the darkness of the crowd. 

Alexander stepped to a side and bowed , grinning sheepishly to a raucous applause that he had not expected. He gestured to the band and nodded seemingly giving them most of the credit. Finally he turned to look at Joy and tilted his head. He mouthed the words "Join me" and added a wink for good measure.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Joy gets lost in Alexander's song, when he is finally finished the crowd is roaring and Joy claps with as much unbridled enthusiasm as the rest of them.  Her hands begin to burn as she shows her appreciation for his talent.  She happens to look over at him and he beckons her over to him.  She points at herself and sort of shrugs, but he is not letting her off that easily.  He begins to point at her and gets the crowd so worked up that the only thing she can do is obey his command.  She blushes as she joins him, whispering to see what exactly he had in mind.  Once she understands, she nods with acceptance. 

This is going to be fun!

She smiles at him again, with a true warmth for the handsome entertainer. 

Report Post Tip

He stepped back and allowed her to lean in so that they could share the microphone. Turning around he whispered the kids he wanted to the piano player who nodded. Facing towards the crowd again he said "Get your handkerchiefs out folks. This next one is known to dampen an eye or two." He placed a reassuring hand on Joy's back as the melody began. His voice came out soft as velvet as the words left his lips.

Your fingertips across my skin
The palm trees swaying in the wind
Images
You sang me Spanish lullabies
The sweetest sadness in your eyes
Clever trick
Well, I never want to see you unhappy
I thought you'd want the same for me

Leaning back he gently nudged Joy, encouraging her to step in for the chorus. She wasn't bad herself and it genuinely surprised him. He slowly snapped his fingers to the rhythm as he swayed to the music.

We walked along a crowded street
You took my hand and danced with me
Images
And when you left, you kissed my lips
You told me you would never, never forget
These images
Well, I'd never want to see you unhappy
I thought you'd want the same for me
Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying…

He stepped in again taking the lead during the verse, letting  her rest for a moment while he carried the melancholy forth with his sombre tone. When they reached the chorus again he pulled her in again backing up only slightly. The two of them stood with their faces inches apart as they sang into the microphone. He was lost in the emotion even as her intoxicating scent tried to tempt him out of his reverie. 

He backed off, letting her carry the song to its end and stood to a side . As she finally stopped , he was the first one to begin a slow clap genuinely pleased by her performance and the crowd soon followed, threatening to blow the roof off the club.

Report Post Tip

BudKnight had been visiting the Motor City for a bit now when he decided he needed some alcohol and entertainment. As he rode his noble steed around the streets of Detroit he eventually found himself looking at a night club that was owned by a woman who had worked for a long time with his father. She survived the great war and made her way eventually to Detroit to continue working as hard as she did before. Realizing this he decided he should go pay his respects and give her club some business...

He tied his horse to a light pole outside and then made his way inside. The place was quite nice and there was music being sung by AlexanderKnight who was somebody he had some business with. Overall the ambiance of this night club was quite fantastic and he knew he could enjoy his time here. So he made a straight line for the bar to grab a drink as he waited to see if Joy would be around.

"Hello bartender! May I have your best house beer that is on tap tonight? I'd also like it in the biggest glass you have available. I have quite a large thirst right now." He waited till the Bartender brought over a large beer mug for him to drink from.

Sipping on the drink he was happy with the choice the bartender made for him. It was a good ale that was kind to his taste buds. He set the drink down on the bar after a few swigs. The music was quite enjoyable and he sat there tapping his foot and taking sips from his drink from time to time. 

Eventually he spotted Joy who was making her way through the night club. He jumped up from his spotted and waved at her. His movements caused quite the commotion since his armor jingled and jangled as it clanked together. 

"Joy! Over here!" He shouted at the top of his lungs as if everything else he did was not enough to gain her attention.

He eagerly waited as she made her way over....

Report Post Tip

Joy hears a commotion coming from the bar area.  With a furrowed brow she heads that way, and as she approaches she sees BudKnight waving furiously and calling out her name.  She hadn't seen him since he was a young pup, but she would know that face anywhere.

She hurries over to him to greet him, and sees that he is already set up with a beer.

Bud, it's so good of you to come to my opening night!  Isn't it wonderful?  How have you been?

Joy motions to the bartender to come over and tells him that all of BudKnight's beer is on the house tonight, then she sits down beside him and they catch up on each other's lives for awhile, laughing and having a great time while they listen to @ AlexanderKnight.

Report Post Tip

Colt was walking down the Detroit streets, hands in his pockets. Everything was going well, he was the head of a family filled with amazing people, and he had an amazing Right Hand Woman that helped him so much. But even then he felt kind of blue. He had just ditched his date, even thought he had planned a super nice evening, with a romantic meal and a nice walk next to the water. But he couldn’t do it, he couldn’t bring an innocent person into this kind of world. He would be putting her into too much danger, and he just couldn’t do that.

He tried to chase the thoughts out of his mind, but he couldn’t. They haunted him. He kept on walking, head down, until he heard something that made him stop. It was a man singing. His voice cut through his ears and went directly to his heart, as he followed the music. He quickly found the little cozy bar. He entered, curious to see who’s voice it was. As he walked in, he immedialty noticed Joy, looking stunning in her outfit. He ran over and hugged, happy to see her on this sad evening.

“You look amazing darling!” he said, kissing her hand. “Do you want champagne? It’s on me!”

Report Post Tip

Joy notices Coltrane as soon as he enters the bar area.  He has been so wonderful to her, bringing her into his family and giving her a position of honor.

I would love some Champagne, darling.  Thank you.  Joy is exhausted from her intense and emotional duet with AlexanderKnight and ready to sit and enjoy the next set in the audience. She continues looking at him and enjoying his voice though.  That boy could sing.

Come join me, Coltrane.  We can catch up on things and enjoy the Champagne.

Report Post Tip

Along the many places Jones had in mind to pass by in Detroit, on his route to meet old and new friends alike, there was one which despite being on top of his list he reserved to last. It was growing a habit on him to measure his timing as a meal, some things are worth the wait if they're supposed to be enjoyed fully. So when his ride pulled over by the side of this new night club, he was ready for dessert.

Head first, he stepped out the car leaning briefly on his walking stick as he contemplated the outside of this place. "Bringing Joy to Detroit, roll the credits already we all know how this will end." He thought smiling before turning his head to the driver inside the car:

"Sir, you can come inside and have a drink or two if you want, yeah? This may take a bit longer than the last few stops and it's getting late I don't think we'll go anywhere else past this point except to the hotel. So suit yourself buddy."

Going inside, he immediately noticed BudKnight by the bar and Coltrane sitting not far away with Joy. Making his way around the opposite side he managed to order a glass of brown without being spotted by anyone who would recognize him. Then sneaking his way around behind his boss, he prowled his way smoothly towards where the two high ranking Detroit gangsters were seated and stretching his arms around both of them he crouched in between: "You know guys, while I appreciate the invitation, and I don't mean this in the wrong way, but I could have murdered you both." He chuckled. "But this city seems to be a lot safer than I remember, so good job."

Report Post Tip

Joy giggles as Jones sneaks up on her and Coltrane.  She saw Coltrane's hand move toward his vest but relaxed it when he saw that it was Jones.  She was relieved that it was just a prank.

I'm so happy you could join us on opening night, Jonesy.  Sit down right here with us and stay awhile.  I won't take no for an answer.  Did you get to hear AlexanderKnight?  He is A-mazing!  You simply must stay if you haven't heard him sing yet. 

Joy scoots over to the next spot and makes room for Jones between them.  She orders another bottle of Champagne and smiles at the two men at her side.  She watches the waiter fill up the glasses and then she raises her hand in a toast.

To old friends and fulfilled dreams.  Cheers, darling!

Report Post Tip

Sitting down between his two friends he raised his glass for the toast: "Cheers, darlings!" He smiled. "I actually haven't heard him yet but you surely built me up on it on your invitation letter, so I'm looking forward to. Let's hear it." At that moment he realized how Joy used to sing alot back when they were all inside the Mystery Machine and their boss got lost in the desert driving their way into Vegas. And even later on after they had arrived, the echoes of Joy's singing around the HQ had always been a constant he missed in those harsh months wandering the Nevada. "Oh that reminds me, aren't you also going to sing Joy?"

Report Post Tip

Joy looks over at Jones, remembering the good times from long ago.  She was always singing one thing or another, and Jones was always encouraging her.  Without missing a beat, she heads up to the microphone and begins. 

I’ve always admired the music of the talented Miss Billie Holiday.  I would like to sing my rendition of the song, What a Little Moonlight Can Do

With more than a little emotion, she coos out the throaty sounds into the crowd, letting the words out like butterflies on a flower.

Ooh, what a little
Moonlight can do
Ooh, what a little moonlight
Can do to you

You're in love
Your hearts fluttering
All day long

You only stutter
'Cause your poor tongue
Just will not utter
The words, I love you

Ooh, what a little
Moonlight can do
Wait a while
Till a little moonbeam
Comes peepin' through

You'll get bored
You cant resist him
And all you'll say
When you have kissed him is
Ooh, what a little
Moonlight can do

Ooh, what a little
Moonlight can do
Ooh, what a little moonlight
Can do to you

You're in love

Your hearts ...

In her element, Joy brings the crowd to a near frenzy, and bows at the end of it before heading back to her seat with Jones and Coltrane

Report Post Tip

A huge ball appeared in Colt's throat as Joy sang her song, filled with emotion, passion and beauty. She was so perfect. He looked at Jones and thought he saw a little tear drop down his eye, but the lighting was bad so he wasn't sure. 

"She really is an amazing singer..." he said, half chocked up by the ball in his throat. He placed his hand on his friends shoulder and swallowed the tears back in. "Hold my drink..." he asked Jones, getting and heading to the stage, hugging Joy tightly on the way to the stage. He asked the piano player if he could play a song, and sure enough, the man let him play.

He sat down, looking at the black and white keys. The whole bar was silent, waiting for him to play. He closed his eyes and brought his hands to the piano, feeling the keys under his fingers. He took some time and then slowly started to play the chords, at a pretty slow tempo. F major. D dimished. F major. D dimished. Then, he stepped on the pedal and started to play a melody over it. E, D, C, D, E, G. E, D, C, D, E, Ab. Quickly, he stopped thinking and played with his heart. He wasn't in control anymore, the music was carrying him away. 

Slowly, it finally came to an end. He played the final D dimished chord, adding all the possible extentions to it. Then he looked to his two friends, smiling, hoping they enjoyed it as much as he did.

Report Post Tip

It had been awhile since ShoNuff had the opportunity to visit Detroit.  Since he had some free time he decided to go there and look up a good friend Coltrane. It had been a long time since they were able to just sit around and shoots the breeze.  When his plane arrived in Detroit he made his way outside the airport and hailed a cab to take him to the Blue Trane Headquarters.

He gave the cabbie a nice tip when they made their way to the Headquarters.  Once inside he found out that Coltrane wasn’t there but was told he might be at a hot spot that  Joy had set up.  He made his way back outside and to his surprise the same cabbie was standing outside his cab smoking a cigarette waiting for his next fare.  Damn he thought, he must have been waiting for me.  As he approached the cabbie he said Damn that was quick where to now Boss?  ShoNuff told him he was headed to Joy’s place.   The cabbie knew it well, as they drove to her spot the cabbie was telling him about all the good times he had there.

When they arrived ShoNuff made his way in the bar and took a seat at a table where you could see the others patrons pretty good.  He looked around for Coltrane but didn’t see him.  When the waitress came over he ordered a double shot of Whiskey. When she came back with his drink he spoke with her.

Hello, my name is ShoNuff and I am visiting from Philly.  I have never met Joy but looking forward to meeting her.  Could you please let her know that I am here and where I am seated.  Also, I am looking for a friend that might be here. His name is Coltrane I know you probably know him.  If you see him would you please let him know I am here also. The waitress told him sure thing and he sat back sipping on his drink, looking around to see if he spotted his friend and enjoying the music. 

Report Post Tip

One of the wait staff approaches Joy and explains to her that there is a young gentleman in the bar area looking for her and Coltrane.  Joy nods and smiles and thanks the young woman for the information as she heads out to see who it is.  She eyes him up and down carefully, but she just doesn’t recognize him at all.  Never one to avoid confrontation, Joy slides into the chair next to him and smiles.

I’m Joy.  I heard you were looking for Coltrane and me.  What can I help you with?  ShoNuff tells her that he and Coltrane are old friends.  They speak and exchange pleasantries for several minutes and then Joy gets one of the other waitresses attention.  She explains the situation to her and sends her after Coltrane so that he can visit with his old buddy.

I'm glad you stopped by to visit my establishment.  Oh, and any friend of Coltrane's is a friend of mine.

She smiles sweetly, and then Joy tells the waitress that ShoNuff's drinks are on the house.

Report Post Tip

ShoNuff sees a very stunning woman slide in the seat across from him.  He immediately thought this must be Joy.  He had grown up around and was constantly in the company of very beautiful women and his first impressions were usually right.  As she spoke in her soft tone he could tell she was a strong, determined and driven woman.

Well, thank you for the warm welcome Ms. Joy.  I must say you have a very nice establishment here. He looks up to the ceiling and that chandelier really sets the place off beautifully. I am also in the entertainment business back in Philly and I will leave here with some really nice décor ideas.

I have another friend  Bessie Smith,  I promised to hook up with her in a little while, then I have a very early flight in the morning. I have to attend the grand opening of a new nightclub tomorrow night.  I am sorry that I will miss my friend Coltrane.

Thank you for taking the time to come over and talk with me.  I have had a very nice time and will make my way back soon. It was very nice meeting you and again you establishment is dope.

ShoNuff stands and takes Joy's hand and places a gentle kiss on it. You take care lovely lady and visit me when you come to Philly.  We also have a hotel and i would love for you to be my guest.

Report Post Tip

Colt was playing the piano once again. For him, heroin and cocaine weren’t drugs. Music was. Once he started, he could never stop. In the middle of his second tune, a waitress came by to tell him someone was looking for him. He reluctantly took his hands off the keyboard and made his way to the entrance of the bar, where he caught his friend ShoNuff right before he was leaving.

“Hey there friend! Glad to see you here!” he said, hugging the man. “You’ll stop another time, and we’ll play something together! Oh, and I’ll make sure to visit your hotel very soon!”

Report Post Tip

Joy's heart leaps as she hears Coltrane playing the piano.  His hands fly across the keys with talent and skill.  ShoNuff and Coltrane then have awhile to catch up on things before parting ways.  Joy walks up to the young visitor and tells him to return as soon as he is able.

Maybe you can come back and sing for us sometime?  I'm planning on having an open microphone at least once a week.  Please join us, whether you want to sing or not.

Coltrane soon gets back to the piano, and Joy sits back and lets the music carry all of her troubles away.  She sips Champagne and talks with all the guests, making sure everyone is having a good time.  She truly wants 'Joy' in Detroit.

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Bringing Joy to Detroit
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL