Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 23:07:29
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
TIME CHANGE: MR is now using GMT time. Started by: Squishy on Nov 08, '10 18:00

The game has been switched over to GMT time.  Please double check your times before starting wars.  Hate for someone to show up to the party a few hours late :)

Report Post Tip

I am just curious as to why this change has been implemented.  I'm just being a crabby American of course :-P

Report Post Tip

Well I think that this is awesome, me being awesomely British ;) unlucky KJ :D:D

Report Post Tip

GMT is not plagued by the constraints of Daylight savings time.

Report Post Tip

Oh I'm sure there's a reason, I'm not saying it's bad, just something to get used to, luckily I've adjusted to European time before, and I can adjust my thinking again.  Just thought all you Brits were used to the system ;-)

Report Post Tip

GMT: Avoids two days of confusion... and adds 363 more days of chaos.

Report Post Tip

Ahhhh see, I knew there was a reason.  Well alright...I just hope it doesn't freak me out too badly until I get used to it lol

Report Post Tip

Right now my clock on MR reads 21:12 - I am EST and 1612 - that is a 7 hour ahead difference EST = GMT-5 not plus 7

Report Post Tip

also I was under the impression that only a few areas didn't use DST such as Arizona? I didn't think it was all of GMT

Report Post Tip

Sorry - wrong math, it is showing plus 5 hours instead of minus 5

Report Post Tip

Right now my clock on MR reads 21:12 - I am EST and 1612 - that is a 7 hour ahead difference EST = GMT-5 not plus 7

Sorry - wrong math, it is showing plus 5 hours instead of minus 5

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say, but the MR clock is correct.

• You are correct: the MR clock reads 5 hours ahead of EST.
  • "not plus 7"/"plus 5 hours instead of minus 5". It sounds like you're reading the conversion backwards. EST = GMT - 5 means GMT = EST + 5. 1612 + 0500 = 2112 as shown.

GMT: Avoids two days of confusion... and adds 363 more days of chaos.

For some, perhaps. I think calling a bit of addition/subtraction chaos is a little extreme. Many of our users (those not in the same timezone as the server) are already plagued by this arithmetic chaos. They seem to be handling it okay. You Eastern US users are just spoiled ;).

There are actually far more than two days of chaos if you look at all the potential summer time issues that can arise. British users, for example, previously had to deal with the chaos of the EDT change and the BST change, since these do not both happen at the same time. The end result is that people in areas with some form of summer time will now have to remember that their difference to game time will change twice a year. For example, during daylight savings, the eastern US is GMT-4, but for the rest of the year, they are GMT-5. Blame the government :).

The very existence of timezones and summer time are necessarily a pain in the ass for someone.

Report Post Tip

I was trying to put a little humor into the situation, considering I played this game for three years behind the MR clock and have only played on "the same time" for seven months, but yeah sure, I'm spoiled. :)

Report Post Tip

Ramona I’m not sure the “situation” required your injection of humour at this stage to be honest, the announcement was made and generally received without any venomous resistance… so if anything your comment was unnecessary provocation, an inflammatory remark if you will and I’m surprised it was dignified with a response. Considering I’ve played this game for over a decade from a GMT time zone and only several hours with it synced I can say it’s a welcome and appreciated addition from my beautiful and ever correct British perspective. I bid you good day.

Ramona I’m not sure the “situation” required your injection of humour at this stage to be honest, the announcement was made and generally received without any venomous resistance… so if anything your comment was unnecessary provocation, an inflammatory remark if you will and I’m surprised it was dignified with a response.

Considering I’ve played this game for over a decade from a GMT time zone and only several hours with it synced I can say it’s a welcome and appreciated addition from my beautiful and ever correct British perspective.

I bid you good day.

Report Post Tip

Did I mention I say everything twice? Everything twice.

Did I mention I say everything twice?

Everything twice.

Report Post Tip

Good day!! :D

While there wasn't a lot of rumbling here, there was some in other venues. I apologize if my humor wasn't warranted, or appreciated, but I added it nonetheless. People are too uptight these days if they can't just take something at face value and either chuckle or shrug and ignore it, but I suppose that's just status quo for anyone who tries to be funny in any thread around here these days. I wasn't trying to rile anyone up or provoke anyone, least of all the admins (because I think anyone who truly knew me would find that pretty lol-worthy).

I don't know why everyone's looking for a bad guy, an enemy to band together against, but apparently they're looking to cast me in the part. Awesome. Sorry for putting everyone's panties in a bunch.

Report Post Tip

I never pay attention to the actual time on here anyway. If I know I need to do something in an hour then I wait an hour.

Report Post Tip

Out of curiosity, will the game server always be set to GMT? I'm guessing by the logic behind the switch it won't switch to British Summer Time when we put our clocks forward in UK

And does this mean that all references to "football" will now be in relation to proper football? (don't answer this one!)

Report Post Tip

Fear not, bin dipping will continue unhindered.

Report Post Tip

I know Mario - had list what little brain I have at that moment :)

Report Post Tip

SyrupWaffle serves you all a cup of tea with some milk in it

Enjoy lads!

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: TIME CHANGE: MR is now using GMT time.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL