Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:44:40
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Inquire and Detect Started by: Adonis on Nov 05, '18 15:06

His desk was a mess. His shirt, even more so. Blood stained from a fight with who knows what or who. His scruffy boots were kicked up on what should be his work space. It was instead littered with newspaper clippings and stacks of what they were taken from. Some clippings had coffee stains on them from where he'd haphazardly placed what kept him going most of the time. His current cup was cold and nearly empty, just about what he was feeling internally if he were aware to the fact.

With saliva dripping from his bottom lip onto the collar of his shirt and the sounds of snoring he was making as he inhaled his late night recovery over and over again, it was obvious to the one currently standing outside his door what state he'd be in. The two worked together on many things. Mostly news related and the sort. Sometimes his private investigative 'skill set' was needed for other odds and ends Jakob would throw at him. But for the most part, their partnership was one relating to uncovering the truth.

Currently, the reality was, Kaleb didn't know how he'd gotten back to his office. Or how he'd gotta someone else's blood on his shirt. All he would remember was how it all started. Which was how most of those nights did. Some drinking. Some snorting. And following someone he was paid to by a client. That took up most of his time. The following, the watching, the taking down of details. It was boring as fuck, so he relished the opportunities Jakob brought with him.

'Kaleb's Krap' was what people would see as the sign to his little slice of heaven. The 'Krap' part was added by a disgruntled client, ex-client, after Kaleb told the man his wife was better off fucking the guy she was cheating on him with. It didn't go down too well, and every now and then he'd return to refit that addition over the 'Consulting' part of his door with nails into a freshly painted bit of wood, which seemed to get more and more legible as the dance rolled on.

Report Post Tips: 12 / Total: $240,000 Tip

"What in the Samhain is this?"

Jakob stated as he entered the Office of his....friend, he used that term loosely, while they worked together, he believed that they hung around in different circles, by that he meant, Jakob was a man of entertainment and Kaleb was a man of getting shite done. Something that Jakob also believed in, but he always wanted to get the facts of the situation, wanting to check every nook and cranny before they closed off the investigation, never wanting to leave that single stone unturned that could prove the key to the whole case. 

He looked over to their assistant, he shot a small smirk towards her, knowing that he and his looks never failed him once, although it seemed Veronica was a different woman altogether, never once falling for his charm and therefore, making her a conquest for him. He wanted her and nothing was going to stop him, besides the dead bodies that would pile up and other crimes that called for the team of Brawn and Brain...

"Hey! Kaleb, get up! We got work to do ya know..."

All he got was more snoring before he sighed, calling Veronica in and telling her to wake the idiot up. To which she did, as Kaleb had looked more tired then ever, Jakob handed over a large mug of coffee, knowing that his friend needed it, or he would be in trouble. Not in terms of administrator, he just wouldn't focus on the case at hand, to which Jakob would be asked to pick up the slack, something that he loathed doing, he was more of the guy that would flirt with the widow and in the next few minutes, having her at a dinner at a local diner.

"Ya ready now man? Work needs to be done, let's get to it!"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Hearing the familiar sounds of his 'friend' had Kaleb grunt as he woke up. He rubbed at his crotch, making sure he still had his manhood. Licking his dry lips he began to realize he was back here again, the effect of one too many not waters from the night before giving him the clear signs he was hungover. His eyes slowly parted yet were quite sore to keep open, the sting of the new day not welcome at all.

"Jakob? Why are you in my bedroom?"

That was his first, still slipping out of dream state offering. He breathed in a few times, now rubbing his face. As his awareness came to, a cup of coffee was more or less ready to be consumed, hoping to see Veronica at the end of it. No, it was still Jakob. He nodded as he grabbed the cup and sat himself upright, taking to the black breakfast like a fish to water.

After a decent intake he groaned a mixture of pleasure and displeasure, as he was glad to be riding the caffeine train once again, yet not so glad to be nursing another hangover. They seemed to be getting worse and worse as the weeks ticked on. He wasn't always this way though. He was just a few months of self medicating in after a traumatic life event.

"Alright, lay it on me my man." Kaleb said, rubbing at the back of his neck with one hand as he took more leisurely sips of the cup of Joe.

He smirked, his eyes holding amusement, knowing his co-worker was never a....morning reaching afternoon person, actually he wasn't an evening person either. He assumed that his partner was just well...grumpy, they did not really know that much about one another, except qualifications for their stations and that was it, when they reached the end of their days, they went on and never spoke of it. Well, Jakob was the one that did not want to discuss his personally, while Kaleb had usually grunted his agreement. 

"Well, we got a suicide case, but apparently, the son of the deceased has decided that his Father was not suicidal. Now, I don't know if you want this case, but I am willing to write it off as a suicide and be done with it..."

Jakob said carelessly, it was clear that he had no interest in what he thought to be an open and shut case, but a part of him wanted to solve it, help the kid find out what happened to his Father. They would be a coroner's report, to truly identify, if there were signs of foul play, something that he was still refusing to believe. 

"Veronica, could you please bring your beautiful self in here and hand the case file to our dear Kaleb, whose senses seem to be coming to him as time goes..."

Veronica walked in, her eyes remaining on Kaleb, not wanting to look anywhere else at the man who was trying at every moment to capture her attention, something that she was slowly losing the will to do. As she placed the letter on the desk, she walked back out as her eyes caught that of Jakob, who smirked at her, before saying.

"I'll miss you, Bellissimo. "

Veronica blushed as he used the Italian word for beautiful, she ducked her head and returned to her work, not wanting to think about the man that made her shiver.

Back in the office, Jakob looked to Kaleb, waiting for his opinion on the matter, knowing that whatever he said, that they would go with. After all, he was the detective in this matter, something that Jakob did not mind, as he was often kept in the background, being able to chat with many a people and find out certain things that a detective, such as Kaleb, could not...

"Now, I don't know if you want this case, but I am willing to write it off as a suicide and be done with it..."

That didn't sound like Jakob, Kaleb thought as he practiced blinking, hoping to get the sleep out of his eyes.

"What the hell are you talking about, Jakob? We both know you want this case." Kaleb blurted out, not one to hold his tongue or his waking up on the severely wrong side of the bed manners.

A headache was feint yet could get worse if his business partner kept up his pussy footing around. Just as those thoughts were rubbed at, hoping the back of the neck was where he would ease the pressure on his dome, Veronica shot in. Kaleb knew what would happen next. It always did. It actually gave him a smirk, to which had him lean back in his office chair and kick his feet up on the desk.

Kaleb sipped at this coffee, shaking his head but still smirking. Veronica was now back outside the office door and likely at her desk.

"Now, how bout you stop flirting with both the case and Veronica and tell me what's in that folder there." Kaleb said as his eyes ended on the thing their secretary brought in, which was laying on the end of his desk.

It was placed onto the 'creative space' as Kaleb liked to call it. He liked his desk messy. He believed it gave him some kind of chaotic mindset that allowed him to see things outside the box. Whether that was true or not was another thing. He hadn't put effort into solving something properly for those past few months now.

Maybe this was why Jakob wasn't too keen on taking this one on either, as he ended up doing most of the work as Kaleb's efforts became more or less non existent. He knew his partner couldn't resist it though. The chase, the game of taking bits of information and trying to tie them into a story for The Philadelphia Inquirer, which had them both on their payroll.

His eyes peaked over the rim of the cup at Jakob, seeing if he would or wouldn't take to the information, all the while he slurped aloud on the black coffee with three sugars.

"And women call me a pig? Jesus, look at you drinking that coffee likes its a pint of beer..."

He shot out with the usual sarcastic drawl that he usually had, although, he pretended not to notice the look that Kaleb was sending him. He knew that he would not sound like his usual self about this case, he just had a feeling that all was not what it seemed, the man could have been suicidal yes, but leaving his kid? A boy of 17 to fend for himself was worse than some of the other cases that had been rumored around Philly. 

He walked over to the desk, noticing the messiness and wondered, how in the ever-loving hell did he get anything done? It was worse than a maze, something that Jakob was finding a bit terrifying, he was sure that the cleaning people that they paid would have cleared the desk multiple times over the night, how had it reach this level of...untidiness? It was something that bothered, but he knew that Kaleb would never listen and thus, kept his opinion to himself. 

"Is that chips and dip? On your desk? How old is that!?"

Taking a deep breath, he moved the scattered things that had already started to pile onto the case file and picked it up, skimming through it, he found that the man was never diagnosed as having depression or suicidal thoughts, he was one to have the occasional drink at the local watering hole, but why would that be enough to kill himself? He was well off, he worked down at the docks, helping unload cargo.

"Yep man, this definitely involves foul play of some kind, why does a man, working for Gavin and Tara Byrne at the docks kill himself? They are known to be generous with paydays, he was well off. Something doesn't add up and I think the kid might be right about some of these things, we should check it out..."

Little did Jakob know that he had done a complete 180, he wanted to find out what happened to this man, no longer believing that this was a suicide. They needed to visit the kid, he looked to Kaleb, ready to go. 

"By the way, we are going to be stopping at that Donut Shop, I have a craving for them and Hot Coco..."

Report Post Tip

Kaleb set the mug down on the desk at the mention of donuts.

"Say no more. Let's go!"

He kicked his feet off the desk and as he did a few piles of newspapers got knocked off. He didn't seem to care, as he had brunch on his mind. Actually, he didn't know what time it was. He just figured he'd eat as much as possible at the stop to soak up some of this gut rot gin he'd consumed the night before.

As soon as the mention of food was said, Kaleb was practically already out the door. He grabbed at a fedora and overcoat that were hanging on the back of the solid wood door before sliding out through the gap Veronica had left, not waiting for Jakob. As he brushed past Veronica he turned to her to catch a set of incoming car keys. The usual routine when inspiration hit.

The job itself should've probably got him there. There was a time when it did. Just knowing he'd make a difference had him bouncing out the door like this. Right when they first got into their partnership. Food though, who the fuck could argue how inspiring it could be.

---

Arriving at the Donut Shop, Kaleb kept the car idling. They pulled into a car spot just in front of the main doors. In fact, it was a walkway that he was pretending was a car space.

"Whatever you get, double it and that's my order." Kaleb said as he turned to Jakob.

Report Post Tip

Whistling as he walked into the Donut Shop, Jakob noticed that many police officers had filled the booths, some even getting a box of donuts, while others settled for Coffees and Tea, something that was not his personal preference, he usually enjoyed Hot Coco or an Ice-Tea. He was soon at the counter, as the woman, with the bluest eyes he had ever laid eyes on, looked at him with a small smile.

"Frieda its been a while, how are you?"

Frieda arched an eyebrow, knowing exactly what he was referring too. He was a man of many women, something that she recognized, but hoped that she could change him for the better, something that he often used against her in order to spend many a night in the comfort of her home. 

"Well, after you left last night, I had to make such an excellent breakfast without you to enjoy it!"

He chuckled, knowing that she was into him, but this much was surprising, he knew that he was something of a catch to women, but the fact that this one woman had wanted him to stay for breakfast was endearing. He smiled, humoring her for a while, completely forgetting about Kaleb, who was sitting in the car waiting for his donuts and large Hot Cocoa. 

"Darling, I had to work, Kaleb, you know him. He needs me and I have to make sure that he keeps in a straight line, other than that. I have to make sure, my lovely girlfriend does not find out about this, just know that soon enough, it will be me and you only, My Love..."

Jakob smiled genuinely, he did want to be with Frieda, he found her to be the perfect girl for him, but there was the matter of his own lust, he was a man of many desires that not only a single woman could fulfill, some would call it a curse, others call it a gift. He called it, a way of life. He was born with it and lived with it, getting used to the nightly activities of Carnal Desires. 

"Darling, could we please get the usual? I'm afraid Kaleb might come in here and pistol whips me, should I take any longer..."

the statement was said with a humorous tone, but Frieda could tell he was serious and got to work, gathering the order, knowing what they both wanted, which would be four donuts for Kaleb and a large Hot Cocoa, while Jakob would simply have two donuts and a medium Hot Cocoa...

"Give my best to Kaleb, Jake. Be careful, okay?"

Jakob nodded, heading back to the car, knowing that time was of the essence, should the person that killed the victim come back and try to end his son, something that he hoped would not be the case. Otherwise, this case was going to much more harder...

Report Post Tip

After a short drive the two finally arrived at the scene. First things first, they had to get a sense for what happened here. It was one thing to read a report from someone, another to do some detective work themselves. Kaleb had devoured the donuts on the drive over and with that new found sugar rush he exited the vehicle.

Sipping on the large Hot Cocoa, he met Jakob at the front of the vehicle.

"So where are we, exactly? And who are we here to see?"

Kaleb really was a little short on the details. He wasn't exactly the brains of the duo, yet his ability to get shit done still held value. And every now and then he'd come across some gold nuggets of instinctive detective work, as if the sky opened up and said 'fuck it, you need something, here, take this'. Those moments were rare, but they did happen. With so much sugar and caffeine in his system, Kaleb was feeling like one was close at hand.

With that enthusiasm, he began walking towards the house as Jakob rattled off some more details about the case.

Report Post Tip

"Old City District, this place reeks, Jesus Christopher!"

He sipped on his Hot Cocoa, enjoying the sugar as he allowed it to linger before swallowing. He still had his donuts, knowing that he would not eat them now, possibly in the next ten or fifteen minutes. His eyes watched the house, noticing the lack of yellow tape, considering that this was treated as a suicide, Jakob scoffed, knowing that plenty of the cops were on the Take to certain high-profile people that he was not stupid enough to get involved with. 

"Georgie Fell, son of Trian Fell and Whitney Fell. He attends a college a couple blocks from here, he works part-time at a grocery store and is currently looking for House accommodation, considering that his Father is dead and his Mother ran out on them, the only thing we got was her name."

He sipped his Hot Cocoa once more, not used to the chilly air, they had finally made it to the door as Jakob knocked, putting on a friendly smile, he was sure that Kaleb would forgo the pleasantries and get right in the meat of things, he could never get his friend at times, always about work, something that he did not understand, but he was, after all, a kind and loving man, while Kaleb was as cold as Antarctica itself. Or possibly that was how he was during work only, they did not really discuss personal business.

"At least put on a smile, make it look like we're actually trying and not some teen cashier who is trying to get home early.."

Report Post Tip

Kaleb scoffed at the thought of smiling just for the sake of it. Jakob seemed to have the charm down naturally. He always seemed to be a moment away from flashing a grin. Sometimes it actually made Kaleb want to hug the guy, with a chair, to the face. His sarcasm was strong, sometimes a defensive mechanism, mostly just an extension of his personality, which he felt the need to let loose as the door finally opened.

"We're very happy to be here." Kaleb said with a very large, and very forced grin as he looked into the open doorway and then at Jakob before stepping inside.

He immediately went into detective mode, glancing around at the interior as he welcomed himself in, not giving the person still holding onto the door a chance to deny their entrance. Taking a sip of the cocoa, Kaleb noticed there looked to be some disturbance to items in the lounge room which he casually entered. Books on a bookshelf had been moved, as some were on the dining table and others weren't placed back neatly.

There also seemed to be evidence of other draws having been rummaged through, with papers on top of them and some even on the floor still. And a quick glance towards the kitchen showed cupboards and draws opened.

"You moving?" Kaleb said aloud, still looking around the place uninvited.

Report Post Tip

Georgie's P.O.V

As Georgie opened the door, he noticed the two men, one had stood with confidence and eagerness, the other, professional and almost cold. Like he could care less of the situation, but he thought that would not be possible if he had come out all this way to help him with the problem that he had with believing that his Father had up and committed suicide. Something that he refused to believe, even when the police had told him otherwise. 

His father was many things, but suicidal was not one of them, his thoughts were interrupted as he barged past by the rather burly detective, Georgie shook his head, turning his head to look at the man with such confusion, but also a tiny amount of anger, manners much? It seemed this man had lost it all when he had entered the house with the fake smile in place, something that he found himself wanting to remove from his face, permanently. 

"Please. make yourself at home, whoever you are..."

With sarcasm that would make Jakob weep, he spoke out in such sickly sweetness that a demon would find itself wanting to get back to hell. He took a few deep breaths before he heard the detective ask him a question and he took a moment to register, knowing that this was his childhood home and with a deep release of breath, he spat out towards the detective. 

"Well yes, I am sir! Considering that my Father was murder-"

Georgie caught himself, his hands spasming, knowing that his anger was reaching a level of no surrender, he tried to calm himself but found himself unable to do so as a hand was placed on his shoulder. He looked at the other man, the more compassionate one, he thought, of the two.

The man spoke to him in a soft voice, a serene smile adorning his face.

"Hey, we're here to help. I am sorry about my Partner, he is rather different, but make no mistake, he also wants to help you solve this case. We are here to assist you, do you understand?"

Georgie nodded, feeling himself open up to the man slightly, wanting to assist them with whatever information that he could provide.

Report Post Tip

Kaleb's eyes and attention were solely on the scene of the house. It looked suspect. Everything did to him at first, until he peeled back the layers and put the pieces into place. Like stripping away an onion, the truth was at the very center. But to get there you had to do away with all the shit that came before it. And being an onion had no center, Kaleb sometimes also ended up with sweet fuck all after all his bravado. Sometimes though, he hit the sweet spot, that intuition, the type of insight you never truly knew was yours or something more divinely inspired.

"So tell me what happened that morning." Kaleb inquired before taking another sip of the now luke-warm drink. He didn't beat around the bush, unless he was beating around the bush.

The house itself kind of reminded him of one similar. The case didn't even hit him until now. Suicides weren't anything uncommon. In fact, given the shitty economy and the inability for everyday people to fix their own shit, a lot were taking their lives literally into their own hands. Kaleb had seen many a scene like it. Bodies swaying from the rafters. Many more being fished out of the Delaware after floating face down stream for days, the end result of a mad moment off a bridge.

But one in particular stuck with him like the bloodied shirt he was still wearing, like a memory he knew was there but didn't pay too much attention to as he really didn't need to. His shirt, he couldn't care less how unkempt it was. As long as it did the job. And this memory in particular, it hadn't prodded at his mental for a few months now. Maybe the heavy drinking had something to do with that.

As he let Georgie ride his still likely fresh emotions and spill the beans on what he personally experienced and thought happened, Kaleb slipped into a memory of his own. Jakob would likely be listening and could take it from there, as Kaleb really started to zone out, looking at the various turned over parts of the house, likely to do with someone breaking and entering and looking for something...

The door smashed open with a heavy booted heel following through it. The face was unrecognizable at first and it wouldn't be for another ten years till he'd come nose to nose with it, and seven before he'd know the name that was jotted down under a mugshot of it. But being he was young, just a lad, nothing would prepare him for what was to come.

Screaming was what he remembered most. The man's voice was blunt, possibly more so than the knife he was carrying and waving around as he forced himself further into their home through the backdoor that led into the kitchen. Kaleb was at the dinner table doing homework with his father when the commotion started. Instinctively, his pop presented himself forward of Kaleb, making himself the only thing standing between the two.

The memory here was fragmented. Only flashes of what happened persisted. Likely some of the scenes were brashly scrubbed loose with the rough years of self torture that followed, which eventually turned outward as he began the task of finding the man who stabbed his father to death in their kitchen. An act supposedly of instinct and sanity, yet that Kaleb would later find tied into a whole mess of shit, and his father's killing was just the tip of the iceberg.

Kaleb's eyes were now focused in the direction of the Kitchen. He was standing next to the dining table, as the flashes of the events that night eventually faded. He sighed, heavily, then slammed the mostly empty lidded cup down on the table. In his mind, his father sacrificed his own life for his. He never let it go. In his mind, his father was another statistic to crime. Another suicide, and one he'd set his life's mission at getting to the bottom of.

Report Post Tip

"So, Georgie, I and my partner are here to help. We've looked over the report that you have given, and the various neighbors. Your father had a pretty good job, he worked down at the docks for Gavin and Tara Byrne, who are known to pay people well for their hard work. It does not add up why he would take his own life."

Jakob faintly heard Kaleb asking the same thing, but did it with less of the sympathetic edge that he was, it was why he had handled more of these things, while Kaleb was the bad guy, in many of the relative's eyes that they had worked with. It was not something that people learned on first glance, but they could usually tell who was the more talkative of the two, mostly him.

Jakob listened as Georgie had stated various things, his Father being a gambler and losing some games here and there, but mostly winning, taking the house for everything they were worth. He had even stated that sometimes they would go to Breads and Spreads for a nice meal on occasion, something that gave Jakob a thought back to a date that he had in Breads and Spreads. 

"So, you guys were close? It sounds like you knew a lot about your Father, stuff that people wouldn't know who only watched from their windows, or as they cut their lawn. I...we need anything, something that you can give us, it would be a huge help. It allows us to put more work into this theory..."

Georgie guided Jakob throughout the house, showing him the turned over objects, it was like someone was looking for someone, anything actually. Only the things that seemed to upturned were chairs, drawers, even wardrobes. Almost like someone was looking for anything of value, but why would a suicidal man look for valuables in a moment of death? Something that Jakob wrote down, his eyes searched the room for more but found nothing.

"George, is there anything else? Did your Father mention anything or anyone? A big game of poker? Dice? Blackjack? Anything that might have stood out to you as odd, or weird?"

Georgie sighed, before showing Jakob into a private study, he was surprised that a man who worked down at the docks had enough money for a house like this. He had sipped his Hot Cocoa, still enjoying it, even if it was lukewarm. 

"So what am I look-"

Jakob grunted as a note was thrust into his chest by the obviously agitated teen, but he looked down at the note as it read: Dice, Backroom of Sonny's Bistro.

Jakob narrowed his eyes, never hearing of a Sonny in the Underworld, knowing little of it, but since his Father still had some connections, he guessed that he could possibly ask his old man. He nodded to the kid in thanks as he walked back out to find Kaleb staring blankly at his surroundings, he lightly punched the brick wall of a man and arched an eyebrow.

"Enough daydreaming Kaleb, we got a lead, Sonny's Bistro, I believe we passed it on the way here..."

Jakob turned his head to face Georgie, giving the kid a sad smile before stating in a soft tone. 

"If you hear or remember anything else, come down to Kaleb's Consulting, we will help you out."

With this, Jakob threw an arm around the shoulder of Kaleb as they walked out of the house, going back towards the car.

Report Post Tip

Kaleb made sure he was driving again. He was a bit like that, someone who asserted what he liked and made sure he got what he wanted. He preferred to drive as it made him feel like he was in control, which he also liked, and since he liked getting what he liked, he made sure he was behind the wheel more often than not.

After some meaningless car drive banter, the two ended up outside Sonny's Bistro.

"We need lunch." Kaleb said as he put the car into park.

After unbuckling his seat belt and before exiting the vehicle, he reaffirmed what he was hoping they'd be able to slip in somehow, along with following up the lead Jakob found at the victim's house. He was looking at Jakob with a look of determination.

"Yep, food."

Once outside the car, Kaleb made his way towards the entrance of the bistro first, almost racing Jakob inside, hoping that if he entered first he would be able to choose what they did next. Obviously, finding out what the victim was doing here wasn't exactly at the forefront of his mind. Food, was.

Report Post Tip

"Hey! Have the donuts I have left Kaleb! We are on the job! We need to stay focuse-"

Jakob is cut off as his eyes land on land on the glorious Meatballs and Spaghetti served in a large plate that makes a Christmas turkey look like a chicken leg. His mouth was watering, ready to chomp down and gulp the food down. It looked so appealing, he knew why this place had made so much money know. It was the food, Jakob walked towards the counter, wanting to order a large serving of the already massive portion of Spaghetti And Meatballs. 

As he did so, he failed to notice two men wearing black clothing, look to the two of them with narrowed eyes, almost like they were looking out for something, but Jakob paid no attention to his surroundings, focusing on the aroma that the food gave off. It was too enticing to pass up, he soon forked over a $10 Bill, knowing that he needed to butter up the server, should he want more servings.

"What do you want Kaleb? We could probably get some Canolis, ah that would hit the spot..."

Report Post Tip

Kaleb and Jakob were miles apart in most things. Their personalities were like chalk and cheese. Their lifestyles were like oil and water. But their love for food and drink were like dunking donuts into cocoa, they just clicked. Noticing Jakob already in eat mode, Kaleb also almost failed to noticed the two men in black clothing.

As Jakob paid for his meal, Kaleb turned towards the two men who were seated at a small table. They weren't exactly there to be romantic, given the size of the surface which had a single newspaper on it and some coffee cups and their position next to the cake display. Not the worst spot to sit, as it was close to the counter and had a view on the front door, yet not the smartest.

Kaleb leaned his back and elbows against the counter as he gawked at the table.

"Whatever you're getting, Jakob, just make sure not to tease me with mentioning a cannoli if you don't plan to deliver."

His words were directed to his investigative reporter partner, yet his body language was squarely aimed towards the now responding men, who knew they'd been spotted. It was kind of hard not to if you were one of these two goons, as Kaleb was making sure they knew he knew they were here not for the cake, but possibly tied into the tip they were here to follow up on. 

Report Post Tip

The Waiter had walked up to their booth, placing the large portion of Spaghetti and Meatballs for them, noticing that one of them was salivating at the mouth, while the other was stiff as a board, looking at Tony and Gino with his eyes narrowed in concentration, already picking the two made men out as guards.

"Would there be anything else sirs?"

The Waiter wanted to get back to the telephone and inform Sonny, the guy who was in control of this little diner, considering that it was named after him and all that. He bowed his head, waiting for an answer, but all he got was the sounds of slurping of spaghetti and sauce as he tilted his head to the side, noticing the detective, he thought, dig into the food like a starved kid who had not had food in months.

'Dear God in heaven, where does he keep it all?'

Were the thoughts of said Waiter, as his face contorted with disgust written all over, his eyes held faux kindness, while if one were as truly perceptive as the detective, they would have noticed that the Waiter's eyes held dislike. He bowed his head once again, wanting to at least hide his true feelings on the pig-like eating. 

He waited and waited, knowing that the more perceptive detective was either watching him or the guards, either way, he felt like he was about to witness the first gunshot in what would be an old western shootout, he was about ready to duck if he saw some tumbleweed roll by in the middle of the Bistro.

As Jakob scoffed down his food, the tension beyond seemed about ready to snap. Kaleb knew where his right hand was going next, slipping inside his jacket to pull out the holstered Smith & Wesson, before his left would flick at the hammer as he pointed the .357 magnum at each of the two shit eaters in turn. His partner may have been a little messy with his food intake, but at least he wasn't shoveling in bullshit.

Kaleb could tell just by looking at the guys what kind of payroll they were on. Someone was feeding them a line or two about them behind some bad intentions. And what could they possibly be targeted for? Trying to uncover the truth?

It was a long shot, but Jakob's certain prowess with the ladies could also be a reason. Rumor was, more than one husband had seen his naked ass escaping from their marital chambers. No-one was yet to put a face to the set of butt-cheeks that seemed to always just get out in the nick of time though. But, maybe the growing group of disgruntled men had finally hit a lead.

It could also be Kaleb's many unhappy clients over the years. He was a good detective, when he wanted to be. When something stoked his fire to actually give a shit. Other than that, his career had become one boring job after another. One unhappily married spouse seeking a way to get a divorce. Which was odd given women had practically no rights and men dominated the relationships.

What wasn't so odd, not to Kaleb, was that most men seeking his services were after this ass bandit. Kaleb had an inkling of who it was after so many stints tracking the guy. Jakob, was the guy he'd joke about it being time after time. But, his partner never confessed to it. And Kaleb never got enough evidence to tie him to it either. It was a cat and mouse affair, one that had so many fantastical stories involved it was becoming a Tolkien tale of epic proportions.

Beyond that his clients never got their monies worth for the most part, Kaleb had no reason to suspect these men were here for him alone. And just as it seemed one was about to reach for something that might set things off and then some, Kaleb broke the silence.

"Milkshake!" He shouted aloud, startling those close to the booth and catching the full attention of the waiter.

"Two scoops of vanilla ice cream. Malted milk. Stat."

With a glance over to the waiter who was pleased to finally be leaving their immediate presence, to both get away from Jakob's enthusiastic meal manners and the possibility a stray bullet might end his shift early, Kaleb gave him one more instruction.

"And tell Sonny to hurry the fuck up and get out here before I put a bullet in both these crumbs."

Now there was no mistaking it. Sonny would know soon enough that two men were here looking for him, which could spell disaster for his business depending on what they were inquiring into and who exactly they were. One was someone who had a hunger that caused a scene nearly as memorable as those caused by his appetite for married women. The other had an itchy trigger finger... and was a lover of milkshakes.

Report Post Tip

"What in the fuck are you doing, they will probably think we're robbing the joint!"

Obviously, Jakob was having a hard time catching up with the situation as his eyes had stay focused on the brilliant combination of Spaghetti and Meatballs, his eyes devouring it like he would a woman's body, before he had heard Kaleb call for Sonny, and with that, his mind was back onto the work at hand, but he had a pout on his face at not getting to finish the Spaghetti...

"Waiter...before shit hits the fan, please, do put those Canollis in a container. They are a delicacy..."

With that he turned back to the situation at hand, his eyes widening when he noticed the two men, obviously lookouts or perhaps, guards, either way, they were here for something. And unlike him, he doubted it was for the food, even though it tasted like Demeter herself had prepared the meal. Once again, getting his mind back into action.

He reached into his own holster and let out a silent, "Shit."

Jakob looked back to Kaleb with a wary smile, before leaning to the side, whispering as best as he could in the rather tense and quiet bistro that a rat could be heard nibbling on a piece of cheese. 

"You know, I don't have my gun, so, why don't you put that down? Before we end up as one of the main courses on the menu!"

He looked back to the men, who now stood up, looking at him in particular like he was a rather small fish, in a big pond. Of course, in this situation, Jakob was out of his element and rarely carried a pistol or revolver, unless he had too. He was a talker and suave bastard, but a shooter and fighter? That was more up the alley of men like Kaleb here...

"So gentlemen, like my esteemed colleague has said, we would like to talk with Sonny, who we believe to be the owner of this amazing establishment, could you perhaps call him? Should that prove to be trouble, we only want a minute of his time..."

Jakob said with his usual flair and theatrics, he was rather fond of using them when he found himself trouble. Unless, he was escaping the bedchambers and then, it was a quick dive out the window, but this situation called for a nice mediator and he had a feeling that had to be him...

"Is that going to be troublesome?"

The men nodded to the waiter, who immediately got on the phone, calling who Jakob thought was Sonny and they would have to wait, seeing if they could prove their theory correct in this situation.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Inquire and Detect
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL