Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 12:22:10
Page:  1 
Slash & Byrne - Topic: Debate & Drama Started by: Isabella-Luciano on Nov 09, '18 15:28

Hello! 

Welcome to Slash & Byrne where I, Bella Byrne of the Race Street Company, will present a topic to the streets from time to time to be debated and discussed.  As a rule, I will be using classical philosophical debate questions, but occasionally may accept suggestions and questions from our participants to be used if they are particularly timely or strike my fancy. 

⚠️WARNING:⚠️ 

PLEASE remember that mobsters responding to this particular discussion may not share the views of their ancestors or their future children.  Many of us speak from our own personal experiences of THIS LIFETIME and NOT as the whole of our lineage.  As such controversial thoughts had by this person may not be shared by their future sons or daughters.

Opinions expressed here as they may not represent an accurate image of EVERYTHING that person's bloodline stands for.

We good?

Good, let's begin.

DEBATE AND DRAMA

So even if you're new to these shores you've probably seen the ages-old statement of "The Streets Are Dead" and for many people that means that the streets are far more full of 'self-serving' stories than community discussions.  

I'd like to examine this topic a bit more... 

1. Do people enjoy sharing stories or is it all about earning rewards?
  2. Do people even listen to the stories that don't involve them?
  3. Is a story any less important if it's not enjoyed by others who aren't involved?
  4. What makes a GOOD story?
  5. Do people really miss discussions and debate?
  6. Is debate what's missed or is it the drama that such discussions bring about that people miss?
  7. Is there a direct link between the lasting peace we're currently experiencing and the lack of controversial debates?

Let's hear it, Mobsters and Molls... what say you on this topic?

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

I’ve not been of the opinion that the streets are dead, I personally find myself generally steering clear of the streets simply because I am not a story teller by nature, I’m an info kind of guy.  The big stories are what seems to be the current trend, probably mostly because there isn’t anything controversial (or requiring some sort of commentary) happening. 

I am all for applauding the stories people come up with.  I will look for ones to tip occasionally but I tend not to trawl through them all to find something.    I am all for rewarding the storytellers for their hard work as the time it takes to do a good story is time that could be spent merely carrying out crimes yet they attempted to entertain instead.  This world is big enough for both.

On the very rare occasion I have told a story, it’s been the result of a discussion or a jokey comment elsewhere that has sparked something and is there for the amusement or entertainment of others; if no-one joins in or expands I am happy for it to die.

If I do join in, I tend to join in with something I find fun or interesting, your wedding being a recent example Isabella but I am more comfortable in the businesses because I relate more to them than the streets.  More often than not though, the scope for interaction is sometimes exceptionally narrow and that is where I can see people’s objections.  I myself have referred to it as something been thrown onto the streets like a dead cat where only the owner cares what it looks like and is objectionable to others. 

There are other discussions documented in other places in the streets, is what passes for an acceptable street story in this world of ours and I wonder whether there is a confusion between in character and on topic; between open and closed stories etc.  Should someone whose parents named him or her after a mythical creature object when stories created as said mythical creature are lampooned for not being on the topic of this life and this time?  Are private discussions between two people on the streets private any more?  That’s a digression perhaps.

Maybe this is the controversial debate to have while it’s calm?  But I feel like I am rambling now and am in danger of treading on my own argument if I have not already done so.

Report Post Tip

The big city was quite confusing to John compared to the small rural farming and mining towns he was so used to. As he pulled his horse around the corner after his sharing of ideas with Isabella-Luciano on the topic of fate versus free will. As he came around, he spotted Isabella once again talking about a different topic this time. He wasn't sure if he was losing a bit of his sanity or just too dumb to truly find his way around the city just yet. So rather than continue his struggle, he decided he would once again listen to her thoughts and questions before possibly sharing his own thoughts.

"You do pose some good questions there. I know that my old friend Arthur would always say that some people have themselves a talent. For some it was their ability to talk and getting others to listen. I do think that for many people it is hard to do something without gettin some sort of reward for it. Even if that reward is just satisfaction of some sort. I think I like tellin stories just for the fun of it, but some could say that it was the reward of enjoyment I was after. Every action somebody takes usually has a motive behind it no matter how simple the action is." The thought of what he had just picked up during his time around the block popped into his head.

He slowly pulled out a cigar and lit it before taking a few puffs and continuing with his thoughts, "I think that some people listen to stories that don't involve them, but I also think that those stories need somethin to grab their attention. It has to have somethin that interests them otherwise they ain't gonna be listenin for long. I think that every story can have it's place and it's importance. Whether you're the one tellin it, listenin to it, or somebody who lived it. That's for those people to decide themselves."

The cigar was quite good as he continued puffing on it. It was apparently brought up from some place called Cuba which was apparently off the coast of the United States. Big cities were enough of a mystery to John, he wasn't about to try to go exploring no Islands. 

"Again, stories will interest different people. Only those who listen to them or read them will be able to know if it was 'good' in their opinion. You never know what sort of reception a story gets till you tell it." Sometimes John did worry about whether or not his thoughts were makin enough sense. Talkin and ideas were not always his strongest skills accordin to Arthur.

"I think that discussions and debates can be good. Although sometimes they can end in a fist fight or a revolver going off. I for one, do miss a good 'ol debate or discussion. Even if I ain't the one who is doing the talkin. Sometimes listening to one is just as good. Although I do think that plenty of people miss the drama that could arise from such things in the past. They have either seen it before, read about it, or were told about it and that makes them miss it. Just as every story isn't for everyone, drama can sometimes be enjoyed by people and not enjoyed by others."

A few more puffs....

"I don't think that the peace is tied to the lack of controversial debate or public discussions going south. I think it usually has more to do with those who are at the top and what motivates them over time. Although I do think that maybe it is indirectly linked, because you can see a lack of controversial debate due to folks tryin to avoid a negative outcome or ending to their story. Since I do believe you can have controversial debate without breaking any sort of peace. It just takes people having a like-minded understandin that no matter where a debate goes, that it doesn't define their overall business relationship." 

"I do hope to hear more from you about these different topics and I welcome others to take part in discussin how they feel on any of these subjects. It's good to sometimes air things out and share your thoughts on these sorts of things with others whether you know them or not. It can always change views or build upon 'em." Once again he tipped his hat and hoped to actually get to his destination this time....

Report Post Tip

I do not think your warning holds much meaning. Most people will take something away from their ancestors whether they say so or not. So its kind of irrelevant and should not even be there.

However, let me address your questions to the best of my ability as a young Wise Guy with no apparent connections to these streets by any other means than my own two feet.

1. Some stories are okay. Some. That being said if you are telling 2-3 stories every single day or what looks like a bunch of speeches all at the same time, it does look rather like a grab for earning rewards then truly caring about the story or the streets.

2. I listen to some, depends on the speaker and if I have time to bother with them.

3. I think that is up to personal opinion. I can only say that I do not care so much for stories as I do for debates.

4. Again, this is personal preference. There is no set thing that makes a story good. Some people like murder themes to their tales, others prefer romance. Anyone with a story to tell should tell it.

5. If they did not there would not be so many talks about it.

6. I miss the debates. I think this discussion with the warning has a tendency to bring more drama then a debate written up without one.

7. There is probably a boredom of the in and outs during a peaceful time. There feels like less to strive for and less to do.

Report Post Tip

Glimmer stared pensively for a moment, her fingers rubbing gently on her chin. "My mother had once been outspoken in the streets, using her voice to express her thoughts as well as tell a story. Her narratives, however, slowed down considerably as she took a new position in the city. Her time had gone from being a presence in the streets to a quiet force in leading her crew and doing her best by me. I can tell you, however, that she spoke fondly of the stories she used to tell. I believe, like she did, that the people who tell their stories do it simply because they enjoy it. I can't speak for everybody but those I know who have a vocal presence in the streets aren't just doing it for the rewards. Sure those are nice, but the reward is also in the feeling of getting a story out there, that of a well lived and adventurous life of crime. 

As for listening to stories, I admit that sometimes I tune out after a bit if they're long. I'm thankful that it seems as though these people are able to record their stories in a format which can be read because it makes it easier to revisit these stories at a later time if my mind begins to wander. I love the adventure and the intrigue that these stories hold but I suppose I also feel a bit lowly in comparison when many of the top orators speak circles around me. The sheer amount of storytelling that some of these people do just boggles my brain and can get a little overwhelming. Which brings me to my next point and the next question. People not listening to stories does not devalue them in any way. They are important tales to the people who speak them and there is where their importance lies. It's true that we all want a little validation from time to time but as my mother once said to me, she often got this validation through other means. People wanted to visit her Observatory, they wanted to work with her, they sought her out so that they too could have a share in her stories and that was just as if not more so meaningful to her than receiving a little kudos on her stories." 

She tips her head, pointing a finger at Isabella. "What do you think makes a good story? Is it meaningful to you? Does it hold some sort of value to you when you retell it? Stories that are good are stories that have a life of their own. They make you see and hear and experience what the storyteller went through to tell it. Rich descriptions that bring the listener into the story is what makes them so compelling. Pick up Sherlock Holmes or The Hobbit or any of those long loved and treasured books and read them aloud. Look at how the author describes the environment, the people, even the accents of the people and find what makes it so intriguing to you. These books are so well loved because, well, because they make you feel as though you could be a part of them. That's what makes a good storyteller. I can fondly remember late nights, lying on my bed, listening to the muffled voices of the adults in the kitchen. People I've known my whole life regaling my mother with their nightly escapades. The voices of aunt Tara and uncle Jack laughing uproariously over some silly foible that uncle Gavin had gotten himself into often got me in trouble for listening at the door. They were a lot more fun than the heated debates that lulled me to sleep. Often mother would have to sit down, hashing out yet another tired argument that had been made before. Men and women rolling their eyes and lamenting about how the good old days were better, glossing over all of the problems to recall a "grander time." Yes, a well timed and well thought out debate is sometimes necessary but arguments for arguments sake or just to raise hackles are boring, boorish, and old. Every day someone goes into a back alley or off the main street to grumble about how we just don't have what we had back then and to them I want to ask, what's wrong with change? Why can't we, collectively, hold onto the good things of the past without having to live in it? We can change and grow, we can enjoy longer swaths of peace and camaraderie without having to pull our guns off our hips or bullets from our mouth every other week. 

If I had to guess, I think these people who complain so loudly, miss the drama. They miss the time when they could say something rude and start an all out war. They don't want diplomacy or kindness or anything like that, they want up in your face arguments that turn into a shooting match and an all out war. They miss the feeling of target practice. I think there is a direct correlation between the peace and the debates because many of the people in power now are there because they're tired of the same old obnoxious infighting that led to several years of turmoil. People were being placed in power who then got to a point where they wanted to start a riot and turn the world upside down again. It made being a part of this thing intolerable for many of my mother's acquaintances and even she experienced dread when she came into the business. 

I know I don't speak for everybody and my youth, perhaps, might make some think me unqualified to speak and yet, I feel as though I have something important to say. I believe that is why this debate is here, for people to say what they think is important. That is why we have so many stories, why men and women still go into coffee shops and buy suits and go to a boxing match to bet on the winner. They feel as though what they are doing is important and they have the freedom to be able to use the streets and the business districts as a way to get themselves out there. Debates are good, but only if they're not debating the same old thing over and over and over again."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Slash & Byrne - Topic: Debate & Drama
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL