Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 04:45:42
Game Suggestions
3 Watchers
Page:  1 
Job Board Overhaul - Task Based Work Started by: Spaceman on Nov 16, '18 17:38

I've had this idea lingering for a while due to the experience I've had with the job boards over the years as well as my observation from RP-driven story boards.  This suggestion, if implemented, attempts to parse two things together that accomplish the following:

*Teach users about the game, intuitively
*Encourage user interaction in a natural way

Why?

The current job board as implemented is adequate in concept, but seems to lack in its execution when used during real recruitment scenarios when it pertains to sponsors, and their jobs.  These are often roleplayed and are often times not read fully, or are implemented in such a way that it gets both the sponsor and potential member off to an awkward start.  Additionally, this puts the onus on teaching the game to someone almost entirely on the shoulders of a sponsor. 

I feel that this change can achieve both a better knowledge of the game while also providing a more natural way to interact with users that varies from the standard recruitment mail that we're used to seeing.

The Suggestion

Building off of the foundations of the Hustle system, jobs will now be custom created by sponsors to achieve a certain outcome.  These tasks have the side benefit of building off of the Tutorial that is launched on a user's new arrival, and teaches users the layout of the game as well as the location of certain features on the game.

Example:

Spaceman is currently expected in South Philly to complete a deal for Mushrooms, but he is currently under the watch of the FBN and is unable to make his usual rounds around Philadelphia.  Complete his errands by doing the following:

DISPENSE: $5,000

1) Purchase a full load of Mushrooms. (0/2)
2) Make a Profit selling Mushrooms. (0/2)
3) Send the profit and original amount to SPONSOR. (0/2)  (system tracks how much profit was made)
4) Mail SPONSOR that work is complete.

(Job completed.  Reward: $15,000)

Similar to the system on HelpDesk, all sponsors would share an in-game mailbox/alert system that is designed for use with potential sponsors and is only triggered when a Worker accepts a job and then mails someone who falls under the umbrella of a crew's sponsor team.  While the Worker will mail an individual, this mail is then sent to the remaining sponsors in the event that either:

A) The intended recipient of the mail is offline for more than x time

or

B) The user is online and more than than x minutes go by without initiating contact. (5?)

As is in the current job system, a flag will be set if the Worker is contacted, and they will proceed with the usual aspect of initiating Workers into their crew.  Sponsors will be able to see in real-time work being done, and can potentially intervene if they see that the work has stalled to provide assistance.

Once inside the crew, users can continue to create and complete jobs for their Workers ad infinitum - either as random tasks or learning lessons - until such a time that the Sponsor and Worker feel that they know the game well enough.  New jobs will open up as the user progresses in rank.

Pickpocket an officer.  (0/1)
Kill an MIA.            (0/1)
Hire a bodyguard.       (0/1)

Reward: $100,000, 1 credit

These tasks can vary wildly based on the amount of actions you can do on the game, and I'd like to see certain features like graverobbing opened up to Thugs/Petty Thieves as well so there can be a variety of tasks that can be achieved.  Encouraging the worker to mail the sponsor - and thus fulfilling the job - is something that I feel encourages interaction in a more natural way, and puts the conversation strictly on achieving the work that has been completed with a common goal of finding a home, and can thus set off a more natural approach to getting a rapport with your potential crew member. 

In addition to allowing the user to learn the game intuitively, this also has the side effect of keeping the Worker on the website for a longer period of time - a great thing to have for long term retention.

As an aside, I have noticed that there is a disconnect between older generations of players - like myself - who were used to either sending or receiving roleplayed invite requests into a crew based on what position I was in - Crewleader or Civilian - and newer generations that are used to aggressively recruiting from a pool of unsponsored Workers.  I feel like this may achieve a better balance between the two groups and can make everyone's job a little easier when it comes to making contact with new recruits.

Finally, as a best case scenario for this suggestion being implemented, the tutorial system should also be revamped to allow for the addition of these new jobs.  While workers will be able to disable it at any time, the in-game tutorial should be expanded to allow a user to easily navigate all aspects of the game where these new jobs may take them, and can provide some very useful synergy along with the sponsor's role in helping a new Worker learn the game.

Thoughts on this are much appreciated!

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $180,000 Tip

Holy crap, this is an awesome idea.
I love how it is both elaborate and intuitive and I feel this could definitely net quite a few new players to the game who would otherwise shy away from some of the intricacies of a text based rpg.

I also appreciate that you can still post jobs when people are inside the crew already - keep everyone active and reduce adapt "contests" to an easier to implant concept.

+1 and tipped.

Report Post Tip

Smart thinking. 

I consider that it would nearly have to be coded so that some jobs (kill an MIA for example), are good only as in crew jobs. But i like the concept on all levels.

+1 for a great retention suggestion.

Report Post Tip

Im so surprised that this has not gathered a lot more momentum. Or even been looked to be implemented. I dislike the jobs board and the way it works simply because it takes the initial human element out of contact for new people. I dont think thats a good recipe for retention. 

I think a more specific, hustle based tasks, that are assigned to actual sponsors or a group of sponsors for each family is an absolute no brainier. While also teaching game mechanics, rather than an RP job that probably has nothing to do with game stuffs.

My big, big plus one for this is the function that has a multi inbox/notification for all set sponsors for each family. A system that allows them all to have access to what has been discussed above. 

what set jobs have been done

inbox/group messages

I think it will give the whole sponsorship option a kick up the arse, give it some worth and make people actually take note of the role

IM ALL FOR THIS. THINK IT NEEDS A SERIOUS CONSIDERATION

Report Post Tip

" give it some worth and make people actually take note of the role "

The role has been reduced to being a chore rather than what it supposed to be - a very key role in developing the crews future.

Most CLs pocket the money set aside for the sponsors.  The game provides some incentives, but the CLs pocket it instead.  The other incentives are supposed to be provided  by the crew leader.  The position is a lot of work, and its especially more difficult when the person above removes all the incentives. :/

I would love to go all in with a better job board, but simply put - the crewleaders, hands, and sponsors involved in the process rarely can provide an atmosphere where it works.

I just have a hard time expanding the program when the crewleaders, the very person it benefits, is pocketing the money. :/

Report Post Tip

The role has been reduced to being a chore rather than what it supposed to be - a very key role in developing the crews future.

I agree, thats what im saying. So my logic would be a group mentality when it comes to how sponsors act or HAVE to act might push the role into being something people could enjoy doing. I know if i was in a group like this and i wasnt doing shit, id feel the pressure to step up my game. Currently, people just turn off their sponsor button, any responsibility that they have are then pushed aside and not even thought about. Its an easy out, mechanic thing that the system them allows them to be that way. unaccountable by their peers, or fellow group of sponsors. 

Most CLs pocket the money set aside for the sponsors.  The game provides some incentives, but the CLs pocket it instead.  The other incentives are supposed to be provided  by the crew leader.  The position is a lot of work, and its especially more difficult when the person above removes all the incentives. :/

You could implement it where the money goes to the sponsor again, like it used to be. Or into a group bank account until that person hits made and gets their button and can only be used for certain things, like buying associates ca's for example. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Absolute genius. Yes, Hell yes. 

Sounds quite elaborate but will definitely grab people more and get them into it quicker. I also think when you start you should have 12 hrs or 24 hrs of timers for free straight off the bat so you get a feel for times. I think a lot of people click something, then click it again and get confused. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I also think when you start you should have 12 hrs or 24 hrs of timers for free straight off the bat so you get a feel for times.

You already get a few days of timers on new accounts.  

Report Post Tip

I learned about this game from several people - incredibly experienced folks, many of whom no longer play - over the course of several months.  Back then, there wasn't a Wiki or an accurate tutorial - let alone guides on wacking, pickpocketing and the like.  Looking back on it, the time investment for those people taking the time to teach me was tough, and 10 years later there are far more features than when I came along in 2008.  And I've seen various strategies deployed before and after the job board,  Over the years, the efficacy of the current job board in real-world use is part of the reason why I'd like to see this system changed.

sponsors involved in the process rarely can provide an atmosphere where it works

As it currently stands, sponsors have a tall order ahead of them in teaching a new user the game. I don't think it's entirely reasonable to expect one sponsor to provide the atmosphere, tutorial and time expense in bringing up a new user.  Nor should one sponsor have to shoulder the fate of one recruit when said sponsor is part of a family that has a dozen or two others behind them.  Similar to how crews have people who specialize in wacking, money making, roleplaying, why can't we expand this concept to a user's first moments on the game?

This suggestion takes what I feel are some of the best learning aspects of the game into a digestible format that sponsors and new recruits can both take advantage of. The job board, as it currently is built, only functions to initiate contact to a potential member in a pretty awkward way.  By expanding the job board to include work that both teaches you the game and encourages more communication, whether through marking the job complete through sending a mail, or moving to a shared mailbox where the job responsibilities are now shared with many more peoople with many more eyes, this helps the member learn the game while facilitating contact in a natural way, and it gets a potential user that much closer to maybe hopping on lounge or taking a look at Home Chat and getting involved in their new city.

As I see it with the current job system, trying something like this in hopes of user retention and better informed players has little risk in consideration of the current system that we have in place now.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $70,000 Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Job Board Overhaul - Task Based Work
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL