Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 21:07:34
Page:  1 
Where should friendship end Started by: SalvatoreLicata on Jan 26, '08 04:52
It's been friday afternoon, a warm wind was blowing through Chicago. I did my last drug deal for today, I had an appointment with a local mobster, a good friend of mine, we know each other for years. We have been friends since childhood. It was sure for the first moment that both of us would end up in a life of crime. But our ways splittet after a few years. We both are in different families now but we still have contact.

Some years later

I was informed by my boss that someone of the chicago mob killed a Capo of us, war.

"Sal, we have the killer, your job!"

I flew over to Chicago to do my job, I drove to the adress my Capo gave me where the killer will go to have lunch. I went over to the restaurant and turned my back to the door, pulled out my gun and ran into the restaurant, there was only one person, this must be the one. I aim my gun on the persons head as he lifts it and in looks in my eyes...it was my friend.

Where should friendship end, my fellow mafioso? Should there even be friendship between members of different families? What's during a war?

I would like to hear some opinions.

Regards,

Salvatore Licata
Report Post Tip
True friendship should never end. On the other hand, a true mafioso should dedicate his life to his family, everything else is taboo.

So, when it comes to a situation like this, you will have to decide between being loyal to your family, which will mean your friend's death, or being a traytor, which will end with your friend still alive, but, quite sure, with your own death.

Not easy decision Sal. I'm glad I'm not in a similar situation.

Kind regards
Report Post Tip
All my friends know that in that situation, I would have to shoot them - no question. Likewise, I know that in that situation, all my friends would shoot me. Sadly a few of them would even enjoy it rather more than I'd like.

It is just business. I would certainly help their kids get back on their feet (assuming the war was over). I would give them money, vouch for them with my boss if they wanted me to, nothing is too much trouble when it comes to your friends. As long as we remember that when push comes to shove, it is the family that has to come first.

Occasionally, and it really is a rare thing these days, that friendship outside the family can be used to save a life, or prevent a war. There has been a few times, so I am told by my father, where our family has been able to say "he's a good lad, leave him be if we can" about someone during a takedown, that 'safe listing' is often repaid. I know my forebears have been left alive after a war thanks to the intervention of their friends in similar circumstances. If we are talking about the opposing family's hitters, then there is nothing you can say or do to save them. From time to time, those friendships can be helpful.

Likewise, should you and a friend both have the ear of your CL (would have to be a pretty weak CL for this to work, but they crop up with surprising frequency) it is possible to start, or avert, a war. I won't go into so much detail here, but trust me when I say it is possible, and that it has happened many many times in the past.

So ultimately, enjoy the greatest part of our way of life, the communication. Enjoy the conversation. Enjoy meeting new people, and making new friends. Not only is it a pleasant way to pass the time, it can also be useful down the line.

That said, there are those who make friends with people they see on the way up, solely because of what they can do for them, that's horribly shallow, and probably a whole other conversation.
Report Post Tip
Gianni thought carefully before voicing his opinion

I don't think there's any problem with friendship, true friends can make it a long way when they need to. But it all comes back to this age old saying from the old country, "family comes first", and nomatter bond a person can have with another, this must always be the underlying rule. Friendships with those from another family, nothing wrong with that so long as Omerta is followed at all times, naturally, but if it comes to a war, both people should be strong enough to know where their loyalties lie.
Report Post Tip
Anthony, while I understand and respect your stance that it is "strictly business," I cannot help but disagree with you. While you may have a relationship as healthy as that with your friends, for many here, friendship runs deeper than family, an unfortunate circumstance.

It is these people's young children who come to our shores screaming for revenge or wondering why a friend would wack their parent like that. Surely we've seen enough of those street discussions to know that this is sadly true.

I personally feel like the truest of friendships can and should be formed within one's own family, so that if it ever came down to it, there would need not be this question. Of course, this does not mean shunning other families. But there must be a line drawn between being great friends with someone you may have to kill one day and then just being casual acquaintances with that person.

All in all, though, it's a choice. Choosing to become best friends with someone from another family is a dangerous choice, yes, but it can be rewarding. At the same time, so can becoming close friends with someone within your family.

In truth, Sal, if you face this situation, make the kill. Then find this person's son before he runs amok on the streets, spouting off about the unfairness of the gangster life.
Report Post Tip
I think this is an interesting discussion point.

Personally, if a 'friend' took up arms against me, I would hardly be able to consider them a friend surely?
Report Post Tip
Howard spits out his answer

Friendship does not come into this,this is business,you do what you have to do otherwise you suffer death. It may sound selfish but its either you or your friend, and i know for one my friend would have a bullet in his head by now.

Howard wait's for the responses of others
Report Post Tip
You shoot your friend... no other option... that is all.
Report Post Tip
Very interesting point there, really. But as Zebedee I would ask myself if someone, who puts business over me, really is a friend.

Humans are social lifeforms, friendship is one of the strongest feelings, but if it comes down to this one point, where it is about live or death, like in the little example I guess I would take shot.

But this also brings me to the question, does friendship really exist is this thing of ours? Most of you said they would kill their friend, after the shot I wouldn't call myself a friend, which doesn't mean I'm not open for friendships.

But I think that true friendships are really really rare around these shores. The basic thing is a connection, nothing more...
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Where should friendship end
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL