Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 21:07:31
Page:  1 
Your contribution Started by: Gianni_Lacomo on Jan 26, '08 08:45
Gianni, having been pondering a few questions in his head for a day now, stepped into the streets and allowed the conversations to flow around him. He found a small corner and stepped up, ready to speak his thoughts

It's often discussed indirectly with questions such as, "why don't people talk?", "who's fault is it?", "who should be bringing life to the streets?", and so on and so forth. The problem is, however, that we're in danger of becoming hypocrites. Practice what you preach, the saying goes. For some people, they can proudly stand up and claim that they bring life to our streets and thus, have every right to question others on their supposed lack of contribution.

The streets are not all, though.

He briefly checked the time on his wrist watch, a tiny, silver thing with the symbol "V" upon it, but hastened to draw his sleeve back over it to continue where he'd left of

One's contribution can come from many places. What if I solely want to be an associate for a family? It's a humble task and someone has to do it. What I bring would be entirely different to the resident Hitman or indeed, the family Earner. We're just not all cut out to be speakers.

I feel that, with the streets in mind, too often the blame is forced towards the Leaders when infact, we should be blaming ourselves. Even when it comes to inter-family problems, the same is true. The Boss isn't making enough to ensure their protection can be improved? What could I be doing to improve this situation? The streets are quiet? Why aren't I doing something about it?

We shouldn't be always looking for others to solve problems we see. Some get up off their backside and do something about said matters. Those, in my eyes, are the contributors to our community. Grab the bull by the horns, so to speak.

He felt like the speech was naturally drawing to a close at this point, so he started to wrap up his question

Should we be looking more to ourselves for solutions to problems and not always to someone else? Finally, what is your contribution to our community or if you've yet to do so, why haven't you and what would you like to bring?

I thank you for your time.
Report Post Tip
Yes, we must all bear some personal responsibility for the problems we face, but so too must the leaders. While there is no recognition for what goes on out here, in the heart of our world, then people are less inclined to make the effort required out here.

While promotions are handed out as soon as they become available, and nobody takes into consideration things like how the public perceives that person, or how respected they actually are into account, people will continue to make the minimum effort required. I would say this is especially important for made man promotions, should someone look at any of "my" made men, I would hope that they would always be able to say they at least knew who they were. They do not have to like them, they do not have to agree with anything they say, and they do not have to admire them. I would expect that they recognise the name, and can give a little credit for how they conduct themselves. If the general population cannot do that, you would not be getting your button in any family I was running.

Handily for the trained monkeys, I will not be running a family any time soon, so it is unlikely I will have any influence on their promotion prospects.

We, as humans, pretty much take the path of least resistance. Why would anyone bother making an effort if they don't have to? Why would you take the time, put in the thought, maybe tap that creative vein, if you will get your rewards for doing nothing? Surely if all it takes to become Made Man is cracking a few gags with your boss in the coffee shop, that that is all you will do.

Therefore, while I agree that we must all look to ourselves and make more of an effort, I cannot help but feel that the leaders of the day bear a large portion of responsibility for the general state of the six cities at any given time.
Report Post Tip
Stepping up once more, he listened to Anthony's words and nodded along at intervals

If the Leaders are to take a large portion of the blame, then all leaders past must also accept this burden for allowing us to get into this state. Perhaps moreso than the current crop. I would say that whilst the leaders are the figureheads of the community, they're not here to sing and dance and otherwise keep us occupied. They have a family to run first and foremost. Perhaps their fault could be considered not having familiy positions specifically devoted to keeping the streets active...

It's truely depressing to see the lack of involvement from the community. This is a topic which affects each and every single one of you. A lack of willingness to even involve yourselves in the discussion of it doesn't bode well when the times comes for changes to be made.

He sighed and sat down upon his soapbox rather than stand upon it

Depressing indeed. Makes you wonder, why bother? I can see about ten people who've come to the various speeches of the streets and listened. Nice, right? But ten people is nothing compared to how many have simply walked past, showing no interest whatsoever.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Your contribution
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL