Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 21:53:11
Page:  1 
Fraud, Theft, Due Diligence, and Credits Started by: Squishy on Dec 08, '18 15:03

As a user, you should perform due diligence before you give credits, cash, or even the time of day to.  Does the person have enough to lose that stealing from another user is out of the question?  Do they have a stellar reputation that they built over a decade, a bad ass account that it just isn't fathomable to get it killed to commit a little petty fraud?

It sucks to sit back and watch good people get taken advantage of, but I am not in a position where I can cover everyone's losses. 

Today I spawned the tylers that people were sending money to The_Nun to throw.  The_Nun spentand gambled your money away, then waited for more people to donate, gambled that away, rinse..repeat, until he suicided since he had very little work put into his account and no one knew who he was (Cristian, 303, BlackPanther,Asuka, ProfessorX, Loki, Grandad, Liv_More and so on).  Many times before, he has done chargebacks against paypal with his cards, his wife cards, and his mothers card.

He would tell me that he got kicked out, so I felt bad and decided not to pursue him legally.

He would tell me that his kid got sick, so I felt bad and decided not to pursue him legally.

He would tell me he lost his job, so I felt bad and decided not to pursue him legally.

This ends now.  The next time I find myself victim of fraud, I will pursue them legally no matter the cost - and I expect you to do the same.

If someone defrauds you in game or out of game, I will gladly provide all information that I have when contacted by the authorities to provide it.  We have extensive logs and identifying information on all activity here.

If you pursue someone legally, but fall short in being able to recoup your losses, I will cover them if after our own internal investigation we conclude that a crime was committed.

If you choose not to pursue someone legally, then after our own investigation if a crime was committed then we can reimburse you with only the assets recoverable from the account.

In short, what does this all mean?  There are people who will steal from their friends, neighbors, coworkers, family in and out of the game.

You need to be cautious and ensure that you take all measures to protect yourself from these people.  Don't send things to people you don't know just because they are a 2 week old crew leader.  And if you do, ensure that you have all the information required to collect outside of the game.

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $160,000 Tip

In my opinion fraud should be dealt with quickly and efficiently. People lie and will continue to lie, because thats what people do. And I FULLY support this to the fullest. I hate when people take advantage of other people.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Is there a way we can flag these users so if they do return they can be marked?

I only ask because it's clear he's comeback multiple times. It'd be nice for the community to be able to have a system of "trustworthiness" for these sorts of things as users crowdfund durden events quite often.

Report Post Tip

This is terrible news, I had no idea The_Nun was BlackPanther. I was waiting on figuring out whoever it was so I could ask him for the 30 creds I let him borrow to gamble a couple of months ago. Tough luck.

I guess that goes to say one should be careful when lending money / creds / etc. to anyone. However it's nice to know we're properly supported by the Gods if we run into any sort of issue.

Report Post Tip
We have been friends, we have fell out and I don't agree with everything you have done over the years (even 5 days ago!!).

But top effort in your commitment to protect the innocent from the cunts within this announcement.

I have no interest in stealing your credits and hereby nominate myself to hold all future credits for Durden Spawns. 

🖒

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip
Telkin, with your coffee addiction I wouldn't put it past you to buy a pallet of Columbia's finest roast, a few gallons of creamer and then hole up in a heavily fortified bunker that's easy to defend while percolating yourself into a new blissful afterlife.
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I think Telkin's idea is a good idea, and thus support his nomination. At least you have the safety barrier that a staff member is the one who has your hard earned  (or bought) credits, so they will be safe and going no where but to a Durden spawn.

Report Post Tip

Thank you Squishy, I'm sure everyone who donated and those who did not are appreciative of your decision here. I know that I am. I'm also very supportive of the idea of Telkin being in such a position and can't think of too many more on here that I'd trust more with such a task. 

Report Post Tip

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/57834687/yall-got-any-more-of-that-coffee.jpg

If you give credits to a unknown itz your fault, woukdnt lend a stranger 30 dollars meet at bus stop? Why do it here. Watch you r selfs
Report Post Tip

Thats really cool of you to make it right with the people who were defrauded. Thanks man!

Report Post Tip

Tbf, if anyone of you knew this was Christian before sending him anything then that's playing with fire anyway. 

Thanks a lot for this. It's dangerous to be an honest person, specially when you're dealing with one legged horse thieves :\

Report Post Tip

Fuck, what a dick. When he was Grandad he told me it was his first ever character. Believe him stupidly. Lent him a fair few credits but always got them back. Didn't know he had this past. 

Report Post Tip

Needless to say i hope he is ip banned/perm banned across the board. He sounds like a very shady character and manipulative.

Report Post Tip

Vinnie_Gigante can't IP ban. Doesn't work no more as there's no more static IP, except for LAN parties.

Report Post Tip

My IP hasn't changed in almost a year. It usually takes leaving your modem disconnected from the cable/DSL source for at least 48 hours as well as powered off. Most IP "leases" are 48 hours but automatically renew. You can call your local provider for more information. This is what we were told in our "instructional" classes for the ISP I worked at. It is possible to IP ban, however, sometimes it takes banning entire subnets or portions of subnets to do it effectively. Most of the time admins don't want to do this as innocents can be caught up in it, but in extreme cases, it is done.

There are other ways to block access as well. One's IP may change but a MAC address does not unless you change your network card and that can be blocked at a firewall level. Unless, of course, you're the kind of asshole that spoofs that too.

"Static" IPs may not "exist" anymore, but I bet when you reboot your PC and your modem you have the same IP as you did before you did it. 

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: Fraud, Theft, Due Diligence, and Credits
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL