Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 09:16:29
Page:  1 
Hard Facts Vol. 1 Started by: -MuffinMan- on Jan 26, '08 21:08
MuffinMan steps onto his Podium

"I have been at hard work, the past few hours trying to get a better understanding on a subject of interest to me. Not because I think anything needs to change, but the fact that I was left undecided on the Topic, and hoping to maybe shed some light on the issue. Then maybe I would be able to choose which side of the Debate I represent.

"So I stopped Fifty random Mafiosi on the streets and asked them the following:

"I'm sure you are aware of the protection the new Gangster's are given for the

first 48 hours they arrive on shore.

Do you feel that it is good to have?

Or do you feel the world could do without it?"

"I must say I great Participation from those who helped right off the street and answered my question wonderfully. I owe you all cookies for a Job well done. So I know why you all are here crowded around me. So here are the results you all are waiting for:

Out of 50 Mafiosi questioned:

Yes, 48 Hrs is needed: 17

No, 48 Hrs is not needed: 20

Undecided, too many pros and cons: 13

"As you can tell it is a very close poll on the issue, although after my investigation I would have to decide to go with "No, 48 Hrs is not needed" . At first I was leaning more toward it being a good thing, which I still believe the intentions are there, I just feel it causes more of an issue. I have decided from speaking to others that killer's will be killer's and no matter the circumstance, would rather take the chances of not being caught than passing up the chance to keep his gun warm. At the first Implementation of the Guideline I felt as if it was the right thing to do. Though time has gone by now, people are arriving to these shores knowing of their protection and taking advantage of the situation they are given. You cannot blame them, they have Mafiosi blood, therefore they are doing what the Mafia does best and find a way to break the rules, silently.

"Now I am not saying that I disagree with statements on the other side of the arguement due to the fact that just 5 hours ago I was indecisive, so I know the views of those as well. As for the undecided individuals on the topic, I hope this helps you as it did me, not matter what side you take to defend."

"I feel that it is important for you all to see peoples responses like I have, numbers just are not enough to help you decide. It wasn't for me, the responses are what persuaded me to my decision."

The MuffinMan passes out the Fliers for everyone to read. On it contained statements from others, but with their privacy remaining intact.

((OOC)) The responses are done in OOC character as i did not want to change anyone's own words.

* Those for 48 Hrs. Protection *

"Yes, think about it, they come they die within 2mins from fuckers thing they are good and therefore no one comes to play anymore so what happens? the game dies. And with the loose cannons they are loose cannons they would kill you anyway hence why they are loose cannons"

"I believe the 48 hour rule is good long as it can be voided because of any improper actions that the gangster in question had taken

We could do with out it but i think the short grace period is something that dosn't hurt anyone the hitters get their shots and sometimes gangster notices their vulnerability and join a crew

This also helps weed out reckless hitters in crews who can't follow simple directions"

"That's a good question, obviously there are upsides, and downfalls to both having, and not having the rule. I'm for the protection though. Without it, those who are new to the world, might get killed before they even get accustomed to the way things work. Which could cause their kin to not even bother coming, because they think they'll just die for no reason.

I think with the protection in place, it gives the community a better chance to grow. Its rare that somebody of that rank would have the skill with a gun to cause much damage anyway. Even if one of those gangsters would get lucky and manage to kill somebody, we all live the life of crime and know that there's a risk of dying, and its a risk we gladly take. If you're really scared of the possibility of some gangster killing you, then you don't really belong in the life of crime anyway, in my opinion."

"hmmm, i am for the 48 hour rule as in my opinion it is beneficial for the community. When my ancestors first arrived on these shores they kept dying before i knew what was going on. Hitters will always want more targets, its in their nature and i see no other real reasons for removing it."

"yes, i feel it is good for the people who just started so they don't die easily and they can et use to it an everything.

No, because i personnaly want to shoot them too because it is hard to find people to shoot :( so yeah...

but i think it is a good thing mostly to keep it cause it gives them a chance instead of dieing a minute after they played"

* Those who are against 48 Hrs. Protection *

"Well I remember a time when members of our community had to wait until the rank of gangster to join crews. This is no longer the case, as now you can join the second you start up an account. So I think the 48 hour rule should be abolished.

Not only that but many people have been killed because of killing under 48'ers. I understand that some noobs may be turned away by being killed right away. But I think it less likely that a noob will be turned away by dieing with a new account mainly because of the fact that they haven't earned much. So to die, would not hurt that much. But when you look at all the people that have died from killing these under 48'ers, they've lost alot more than the new accounts that were killed. I feel this is much more disheartening and loses more valuable members that make this world go round.

And all this in with the fact that it could help rogues kill off random people and I say abolish it."

"In my personal view the 48 hour rule is a great way of giving both new and recurring players a chance to settle in and find themselves a family. It encourages hitters to search for inactive players rather than new players, which helps clear-up the people who have not had the time to get themselves in a family in the last 24 hours, and those who are just not interested in playing at all.

A downside would be that it makes it alot harder to train your gun without using the shooting range, which kills a certain part of the rp, personally I don't know many Gangsters who would hang around in the local shooting range, so they can persue a life of crime, but then of course the fact that it's just a game comes into it.

I personally would like to see things the way they used to be, when you could shoot at the lowest of the low without having to look twice to make sure they are 48 hours old, whilst your closest friends get wacked for not taking the rule to seriously. But on the other hand, I can see where they are coming from with the 48 hour rule."

"It seems that the only people the protection discourages are the people who would be unlikely to shoot anyway. The sociopaths who are here just to kill will shoot regardless. More often than not they get away with it too.

I got shot on my previous account while I was in the middle of recieving an invite. Here's the thing though..... I wasn't upset because I should have acted sooner. Everyone has 24 hours of protection. That is an ample amount of time to find a place in our world."

"Totally Disagree with it, have been since it was implemented. I know the reasoning behind it, and I know the why they try to lay down the rule, but on the other hand, they are putting Family members at risk. Who in their right mind would hand someone a gun and say have full reign for 48 Hours around the streets, do as you please as long as you don't get caught.

I just think it's illogical is all. 24 hours is plenty of time for someone to find help on what to do or join a Family. It took me 4 death's when I first started to say "Hey maybe I should ask someone" and you know what I'm still here. Death isn't going to drive them away, if anything it's going to give them reason to ask why they are being killed."

* Those Undecided about the Issue *

"Personally, whilst I think it a good Idea, I don't believe it can ever be policed efficiently.

However, if each Resident is made to account for those sort of goings on within their own city, we may find some of these witness statements rather than them getting 'lost'

However, if you'll allow me to play Devils advocate. There are no written rules from our gods about this '48 hour' protection. Therein could lie the problem.

It is a 'general agreement' between acting heads of cities, the problem being, if one of the acting heads members, who may also just happen to be a close personal friend finds this out, I'm pretty certain the leader in question would Mimic Admiral Nelson and 'turn a blind eye'"

"For those straight off the boats from the old country, I think it's an invaluable period of grace while they find their feet and see what is what. Without this period of grace, it's more likely that they could die and their family lines driven from this thing of ours. Without a constant supply of fresh blood, our business will become stale.

For those who are continuing a family tradition in the business, having been raised within our traditions, they should know all there is to know, be able to act in the correct way and know to seek shelter as soon as humanly possible. In this circumstance, 48 hours is unnecessary.

However, there's no way of differentiating between each newcomer to our thing so the safest action is to give a blanket 48 hours to all. Otherwise, you'd have the bloodthirsty claiming "I thought he was the son of an old associate" and so on to excuse their killing."

"You know I'm not really sure. Yes it's nice to have protection for so long when starting. But 48 hrs is a long time. I'm not to sure about the subject to be honest."

((End Of OOC))

"So there you have it, statements by real people to hopefully shed light on the issue for those who were like myself and unsure on what to think.

"Either way I look at of it, we are mafiosi, use you heads before making unsure decisions, also take the time to talk to the newer arrivals to this shore. Now granted, most new arrivals are those who were directed to these lands by past Family members, keep in mind though, that one thug you may pass by without saying hello too may need your help like you yourselves did at one point.

"I would like to encourage those who have yet to answer the questions themselves to do so, if you don't mind other's seeing your response. I contacted people off the streets and had a one on one conversation with them so they felt comfortable enough to give an answer with integrity. With that being said, I would like to say thank you for everyone who participated in my polls straight off the street. I hope this helps everyone as it has me."

Sincerely,

MuffinMan The Muffin Man? Yes, the Muffin Man.
Report Post Tip
MuffinMan,

Thanks for your efforts putting this together. It is certainly interesting to see the opinions that many in our world have regarding this issue. I will continue to enforce the 48 hour rule, as both the leader of my family and other families believe it to be important.

Personally, however, I don't like it. I remember, many years ago, when my ancestors first came to this place. They were intrigued by the unique opportunities it presented them, and were enthusiastic about learning as much as they could about this place. They sought out help, and learned as much as they could. They had found themselves a family within a few hours.

Now, it seems like newly turned gangsters have some sort of divine protection immediately after they are promoted. This, I have no problem with, as I think it provides sufficient protection to this vulnerable group.

My questions are: Have you ever known a valuable mafioso, who has contributed anything to this community, who was unable to figure out they needed to find a family within the first 24 hours of their time in this place? If not, what sort of people are we protecting with the 48 hour rule?
Report Post Tip
Minion steps out onto the streets an greets MuffinMan

"Nice research, well done for committing to something. One thing I can't help but think is that your decision went solely on what the majority thought of the rule, if it had been the other way around, you would've been all for it. Sorry if this is a false accusation, but it's what I feel"
Report Post Tip

"Have you ever known a valuable mafioso, who has contributed anything to this community, who was unable to figure out they needed to find a family within the first 24 hours of their time in this place? If not, what sort of people are we protecting with the 48 hour rule?"

The biggest thing I think you are missing here, is the time frame isn't 24 hours. The time frame is from when they login for the first time, and then the next time they login after a 24 hour real life time period. How much actual game play time has happened?

Did they make an account, spend 15 minutes poking around, then leave the site, only to come back the following day, login, die instantly?

Not everyone can sit down and play 17 hours the very first time they login.

Not every has planned ahead to budget X hours of time to sit and play - before they even hit the register button for the first time.
Report Post Tip
So what's the ratio of people who say "I give up" after they die rather than "What happened there, I'd like to find out"...
Report Post Tip
I am for the 48 hour rule, let's get that out the way initially, so I can look at the flip side of the arguement. (I will abbreviate and paraphrase if I may, I am not so hot at the making it look pretty...)

"Good people get killed for killing these <48 hour old gangsters who should have a family already"

Or, perhaps, they could learn to obey the rules set down by their crew leaders. If someone is incapable of following the simple instructions of their boss, then they are a liability, not an asset.

"... the way it used to be"

What, when we had a hundred people a day coming to our shores, and population growth wasn't an issue at all? The new country, here, now, is NOT the old country in it's glory days. It could have been, one of the key people in making the decision to make it so came here to check out our 6 cities.... and got killed the 2nd time he stepped outside (sorry, that makes little sense, I must go OOC for a sec we got the games editor for FHM to come and play, he got shot at 28 hours old, suffice it to say we are unlikely to be listed in their top 100).

The shooting range was implimented precisely because we do not have the volume of traffic that the old country had in it's glory days.

"... you have 24 hours anyway, use it!"

Where's the harm in extending them another 24? If they aren't going to join a family, then there is the same number of kills, just a day later. If they DO join a family, then that's another active (hopefully) productive (hopefully) person on our shores. My family have been associating with about 200 of yours for the better part of 7 years now, some new faces are positively required, not just a nicety.

"... I learned the hard way, why can't they?"

I would be interested in learning the stats that the cheesey one has just alluded to. I would guess, and this is pure guess, that for every one who comes back there are at least 5 who don't.

In summary, I just don't see the harm in it. At best it helps newcomers find their feet, get a feel for the place. At worst it means you have to wait an extra day or so to get the kill. There's the same amount of kills around, you are just asked to wait a while before you get them.
Report Post Tip
When I received a mail about this, I had to think long and hard before composing truthful answers.

On paper, as Scotto has already mentioned, there can be no real argument against the forty eight hour rule; it provides an additional twenty four hours, something which is perhaps needed for both young and old blood alike given that I've always advocated taking time to find the right family for you. With the addition of the training range, which is not too expensive at all, I really can see no reason to begrudge anyone of an extra 24 hours.

However, I acknowledge that there is two sides to every argument; and it could be argued that until this policy is efficiently policed, it will never be a sucess. Equally, one could argue that it's an impossible rule to efficiently police, though I'm pretty certain if the leaders threatened to ice the most likely suspects in a city where an illegal kill has just taken place, we'd see a very sharp drop in the number of illegal deaths. Perhaps I'm going a tad overboard there though.

Recently, I have seen increased outings for the "abuse" argument, that is to say the people who call for the abolishment of the forty eight hour rule on the basis that it's too easily abused. Give me a break. It's always been accepted that people who are deemed to be abusing the forty eight hour rule are exceptions to the aforementioned, and that's common knowledge.

In summary, I agree with the forty eight hour rule currently; I never have in the past but as previously mentioned, we are no longer in the past and we must adapt accordingly.

Thank you for putting in some effort here -MuffinMan-, it's refreshing to see.
Report Post Tip
A well-researched and intelligent report, MuffinMan. It's very interesting to see how the average mafioso on the street considers the rules that we live within and hopefully, if this is the first of many reports by yourself, it will lead to the bosses considering the rules where there is a clear majority in favour of such an action.

From your report, there isn't a clear majority in favour of change on this issue though.
Report Post Tip
With all due respect, Squishy, I don't think I'm missing anything.

You posit a person who registers, pokes around for 15 minutes, does not find out what is expected of them, and disappears for 24 hours. They return 24 hours later, find out they are dead, and rend their garments and gnash their teeth, never to return.

This person is lame!

What kind of person does this? "Well honey, I'm ready for work, just let me login to the text-based roleplaying game I recently signed up for, to get my 15 minutes of black-and-white-textual-intercourse in everyday from 6:45 AM to 7:00 AM. Gadzooks! I have been slain! NEVER AGAIN!".

The people who register, for whatever reason, have decided to seek out an online game to be a part of. You don't need an extreme example of someone who "sits down and plays 17 hours the very first time they log in". But I think it's reasonable to say that the people who register are people looking to join a new online game, and have the time to do so. I wouldn't think there are too many people who register on the day of their trip to Cancun, or the night they go on a weekend bender.

People who come here for the first time do so because they have free time they are looking to apply to a new pursuit. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to wind up here and figure out ASAP that you need a family. In most cases, I'd say people can figure it out in less than hour. I admit that, in an extremely rare circumstance, someone may register and be called away for an extended period of time. But it's reasonable to think that this person would just try again.
Report Post Tip
Thanks to popular demand, I'm going to make this a regular project for me.

People seemed to be pleased with the ability to see others response without having to get directly involved.

Thank you all for the kind remarks and support.

Sincerely,

MuffinMan The Muffin Man? Yes, the Muffin Man.
Report Post Tip
(ooc) Keats, to be quite honest a lot of the people playing these games have short attention spans. These is such a demand for peoples attention that they dont really need to put any effort in. If they find they have died a lot of them will just turn away and look somewhere else. Hence this rule helps people get settled and in place and therefore more likely to saty.

Thankyou Muffinman for bringing something fresh and inventive to the streets.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Hard Facts Vol. 1
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL