Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 10:02:22
Page:  1 
Jack's past comes back to haunt him. Started by: JackWaltz on Feb 19, '19 06:46

The sun crept through the bedroom, illuminating the room slowly as Jack and Mackenzie stirred from their slumber. Mackenzie turned over, facing away from the sun as Jack slowly raised up on the bed, setting his feet on the floor as he rubbed a hand over his face. The first day after he had to take down an officer on his own payroll was about to commence, but for Jack, it felt like a normal day. He didn’t want to dwell on the day before. Getting up from the bed, he put on his shoulder holster, placing his .38 under his left arm as it usually was. He quickly grabbed his suit jacket and began to properly fix himself up, not wanting to look like he had just woken up.

Stepping into the kitchen, Jack made himself a cup of coffee. He was unprepared to be up this early, as evident by the late hours that he and his wife kept last night. She had insisted that he stay up with her so that he could wind down from the stress of the day. It was painful to have to go after men that worked for you, but Jack kept his focus on his work for the most part. The phone began to ring moments later. Looking at the clock, he cursed under his breath before walking to the phone to answer it.

“Hello? Who is this?” Jack answered.

“Mr. Waltz, I’m a lawyer, from Ballard. Now, I know that you don’t know me, but I have come across a few files with your name on them, I would like to arrange a meeting with you,” The man on the other end of the phone said. His voice was raspy, making it hard to guess the age of the man speaking.

“I don’t speak with lawyers.”

“I can come to you, any place you need. I think it something that would interest you. There’s a lot of information here.”

“Like what?”

“There’s an investigation going on involving your tampering with a judge in Philly.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“No? Seems here that they’ve got plenty of information on that. Working deals on a judge to get men released from custody prior to their parole date? I’d say that’s tampering if I have ever heard of it.”

“What’s the address. I’ll be there in an hour.”

“827 North Branton Road. I’ll make sure to keep the office clear.”

Jack hung up the phone and grabbed his keys. As he stepped out of the house, he saw how quiet the neighborhood was. The sun rose higher into the sky and Jack drove off into the distance as his wife remained in bed, keeping herself warm beneath the blankets.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

There was a knock on the door, it echoed throughout the room on both sides of the door. Once Jack didn't hear anything, he prepared to walk away, but just a few seconds later, the door opened and he was invited inside by a well dressed man. Jack noticed the lack of windows in this lawyers office. He couldn't help but wonder if it was for privacy or just to avoid someone getting the jump on him before he could personally see them. 

"Mr. Waltz, please, have a seat." He said. Jack sat down in front of the desk, when he looked at the surface of the desk, he could see the files that were littering the area with his name on it. "My name is James Lewing. I've been a lawyer here in Seattle for about fifteen years."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Lewing, now tell me, why are they investigating this deal with the judge?" Jack asked. He pulled out his pack of cigarettes before looking up at the laywer, "Mind if I smoke?"

"No, go right ahead. The reason that they're looking into this, is because now, he's been busted doing deals for another family. The only problem is, with your guy laying low after your old boss was taken down, this guy decided after getting out to go try and do a hit on every single person that had a hand in throwing him in prison."

"So now the judge is trying to send me down the river with tampering charges? On a case that had nothing to do with it?"

"It's all a part of the narrative that they're trying to throw out. His lawyer is trying to paint him as an innocent man who had no other choice than to bend the rules to save his own life."

"That slimy-"

"Son of a bitch, I know. Anyway, Mr. Waltz, I wanted to give you a heads up because a very good friend of mine is going to be the prosecuting attorney on this case. Now, your case may never go to trial, as far as I know, the only evidence that they have at the moment is the judge's word, but if you need a lawyer-"

"I'll be sure to keep in touch if this thing goes any farther. Here, for your troubles."

Jack reached into his wallet and pulled out a few hundred dollars. Tossing it onto the desk, he began to make his way out of the office. Jack  knew now that it was time to get on the defensive and call in any favors that he had from the old crew. He knew that virtually nothing remained in the underworld side, but it would be easy to get in contact with the business partners that had assisted them in the past. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Once Jack left the office, he began to drive around Seattle, trying to get himself familiar with the area now that he was settled into his new home. As he looked around on the edges of the town, he saw a few spots that had been run down recently, looking like they had been abandoned in the night just a few weeks before hand. Seeing an abandoned garage with a for sale sign in the window, Jack pulled his car into the parking lot. 

The parking lot wasn't huge, enough for maybe ten cars, plus a little bit of parking in the back. The garage was appealing, or it would be after a bit of restoration. There were three sets of rolling doors and plenty of room on the inside. Jack walked back towards his car, parked near the payphone by the street. Inserting some change he found in his pocket, he called the number on the for sale sign.

"Hello, I'm interested in the property that you are selling out here on Front Street." Jack said.

"Yes, I'm still looking for the right buyer." The man on the other end of the phone said.

"Name your price. I want it."

"I'll meet you down there in about three hours. We can discuss the terms there."

"I look forward to it."

Jack hung up the phone before calling over to the lawyer's office that he had just left. If he was to start buying any kind of real estate, he wanted to make sure that everything would be handled accordingly. 

Report Post Tip

The ink was dry on the contract and Jack smiled as he admired his latest purchase. While everyone else was clearing out of the parking lot, he made arrangements for the restoration of the building. Mr. Lewing remained on the property with him and joined him in the office of the garage. Jack admired the view, seeing that he could look out into the shop floor from the large window in the office.

"You've got a hell of a project here, Mr. Waltz." Mr. Lewing told him.

"I'm glad you think so. Thank you for coming down so quickly. I know you're not my lawyer, but it's greatly appreciated," Jack said.

"Any time you need anything, I'm only a phone call away. It's all a part of the job."

"How much to keep you on the payroll, Mr. Lewing?"

"Investigating your case and assisting with your business? I'd do it for $1200 a month."

Jack reached into his coat, pulling out an envelope. He tossed it over to Mr. Lewing, who opened the envelope to see stacks of hundred dollar bills. Smiling, he looked back to Jack, who was lighting a cigarette.

"This is enough for six months." Mr. Lewing answered.

"Don't spend it all in one place." Jack laughed.

Report Post Tip

A week later…

Jack ran his fingers through his hair, leaning over his desk as the shop closed for the night. As he heard his men locking up the garage, Jack was the only one remaining inside the building. Not a moment later, there was a knock on the door. Jack got up, leaving the office and headed to check out who would be visiting the shop at this hour.

“Can I help you?” Jack asked. He noticed the badge on the man’s belt.

“Detective Johnson, FBI. I’ve got a few questions for you,” He replied.

“Then you can talk to my lawyer.”

“It’s nothing like that. You’re not being interrogated. Do you have a private office, somewhere that no one can over hear us?”

“Detective, look, I’m just trying to close up shop here. I don’t have time for whatever private conversation you’re looking for. If you need to discuss something with me, here’s my lawyer’s number. Give him a call, he can set something up.”

Jack handed the detective his lawyer’s business card and then locked the shop door. As he began walking to his car, he noticed that the detective stayed near the front of the shop. Jack drove back by the front door, stopping beside the agent.

“I really think you should discuss something with me in private, no lawyers. It’s pertaining to your case.”

“All the more reason for you to contact my lawyer. I’ll be seeing you around.”

Jack drove off the lot and made his way back across town, heading home to his wife. When he arrived at the house, he saw a new car parked in the driveway. Shutting off the engine to the Dodge, he carefully checked out the new car and then walked into the house.

Report Post Tip

Walking into his home, Jack noticed that his wife was sitting on the couch while a man was standing in the kitchen. Jack felt unnerved and could see the discomfort on his wife’s face. As he looked over at the man standing in his kitchen, Jack noticed a badge sitting on the man’s belt. The uneasiness became anger, mostly at himself for not speaking with the agent that had just approached him at his shop.

“Mr. Waltz,” The detective said.

“What can I help you with?” Jack asked.

“I’m investigating your case. I was just speaking with your wife, she seems to be pretty loyal to you. At least that’s what I choose to believe. I don’t think you have hidden so much from her that she is as ignorant as she appears to be.”

“You can’t make a man’s wife make a statement against him. If she refuses, she refuses.”

“So you admit that there is something to this investigation?”

“Not at all. You’re on a wild goose chase. I haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Tampering? Intimidating a Philadelphia judge? You think that’s doing nothing wrong?”

“You have no evidence besides a crooked judge’s testimony. Just a corrupt bastard making an attempt to reduce his sentence and gain sympathy from law enforcement.”

“I can assure you, he’s receiving now sympathy from law enforcement. We’re pursuing him to the fullest extent of the law.”

“Then go after him and leave my wife alone.”

“Tell me your side of the story, Jack.”

“You want my side of the story?”

“Absolutely.”

“Meet me at my lawyer’s office in an hour. One of your men already has the address.”

“Then he can meet with you and take your statement. I’m done here.”

Jack watched as the detective left the house and pulled away in his brand new car. Jack figured that he must have used some of his pull to get a car like that. All the premium options that were on the car, there was no way that he was making it on a government salary without supplementing his income.

Report Post Tip

"What did he say to you?" Jack asked his wife. She had been silent since he walked into the house. It was unlike her, he knew that something must have happened while that detective was in the house. 

"He told me about all the evidence that they have on you. Jack, they're not going to let up on this thing. You need to cooperate with them. Isn't there some sort of deal that you can make with them to let you get out of this?" Mackenzie asked.

"Everything that I have been through and now you're saying that I should become a rat?"

"Jack, there's a bigger threat here, they could have you looking at some serious time if they can convict you."

"That's a big if. I've already got a lawyer working on this case. He's not the first detective to approach me tonight. They're not going to get me on these charges. I didn't force that judge to do anything."

"This is the closest anyone has gotten to taking you in for a long time. I have a right to be worried about it Jack."

"Let me worry about it. I'll see you soon, I'm headed down to see my lawyer. That detective should be there shortly."

Jack walked out the front door while Mackenzie moved into the bedroom, tears streaming down her face in worry about her husband's predicament. There were many times that had seemed like Jack was in trouble, but now she actually saw the danger ahead of him, in person, in her own house and it disturbed her. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Jack's past comes back to haunt him.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL