Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 11:40:39
Page:  1 
Eddy meets Diane Started by: Siren on Feb 19, '19 14:10

Eddy handed the gate attendant a ticket, but his gaze was transfixed on the bright lights and the sound of music in the distance.  His friends had described the state fair in detail, from the carnival rides to the games to the foot long corn dogs.  But seeing the spectacle for himself made the event so much more. 

“Move along son, we have others behind you” chided the man that had taken Eddy’s ticket.

Eddy had been to Dallas once before, when he was much younger, but had made the decision that he was going to attend the state fair and experience it for himself.  Living thirty miles to the south, Eddy had spent the entire day hitching rides with anyone headed in the general direction of Dallas.  He had tried diligently to keep himself clean, but was now covered in bits of straw from his final ride in the back of a farmer’s truck.  Brushing himself off as he walked, he was mesmerized by the sights and sounds.

Then he caught the smell and his stomach began to rumble, having not eaten anything since setting out that morning.  Spotting in the distance exactly what he had dreamt about, he ran to the front of the booth.  Stopping and looking up at the ornate sign that said “World Famous Corn Dog”, he stepped up to the cashier and said “One Corndog, extra mustard, please”.  His mouth began to water as the freshly cooked carnival food was handed to him, along with his change.  And it was everything he had imagined.  Crunchy bread coating over a flavorful hot dog and the tangy bite of yellow mustard filled his mouth.  Smiling as he chewed, he began to explore the fair.

Several minutes later, as he consumed the last of his meal, he saw a small crowd gathered around a booth with a man, dressed in a white shirt, red vest, and matching top hat, was holding the audience’s attention.  “Step right up, step right up.  Who here believes they have the skills to knock over a milk bottle?  Sound easy, doesn’t it?  Well, how about three?  Only a dime per ball and if you knock down all three bottles, you get the choice of prizes!”  The man was waving toward a shelf stacked with large stuffed animals, including dogs, cats, and a teddy bear.

Eddy had every intention of spending his limited funds on carnival rides and food, but figured he would watch for a few minutes.  A group of young men stepped up, bragging about their skills to each other, and one after the other, handed the carnival worker their dime for a chance to win a prize and have bragging rights.  And one after the other, they all failed.  One of the men knocked down the top bottle, but the bottom two remained untouched.  Eddy just grinned as the men walked away, cajoling each other as friends often do.

Eddy was just about to move on when a girl caught his attention.  Initially, he thought the girl was with the group of young men, but they had moved on without her.  She was transfixed on the teddy bear and now appeared to be alone.  She had raven black long hair and almost exotic facial features.  But her brown eyes, both intense and intelligent, was her most attractive feature.  As Eddy watched her, she finally stepped up to the carnival worker and handed him a dime.  The man smiled and handed her a ball before stepping back to give her a clear view of the three milk bottles.  Eddy grinned, expecting a typical “girl throw” with no chance of winning a prize.

The girl turned sideways, pulled her arm all the way back, and fired the ball at the milk bottles.  Barely missing, the ball bounced around.  Eddy’s grin had disappeared and he stood with his mouth open in shock at how well she threw the ball.  The carnival worker laughed out loud and commented “Little Miss, you could show those boys a thing or two about how to throw a ball.  Impressive, quite impressive.”  But the girl was not amused and continued to stare at the teddy bear with her lower lip puffed out, clearly pouting at not having won.  Turning her attention back to the carnival worker, she pulled out her pocket purse and handed him another dime.

Eddy watched as the girl attempted to win the prize to no avail.  This time, a look of frustration crossed her face and she pulled out her pocket purse once again.  Looking inside and finding no more change, a grimace crossed her face as she closed the latch.  With a heavy sigh and a final look at the teddy bear, she turned away.

Eddy cleared his throat and quickly stepped up “Miss, please don’t be offended, but you have an amazing arm.  And I really think that teddy bear should belong to you.  Should we try?” 

The girl studied him for long seconds with those amazing brown eyes.  Questioningly, she asked “What, you think that you’re going to be my knight in shining armor and win it for me because I can’t?  Think your better than me?”  There was a hardness in her gaze as she waited for Eddy’s response.

Eddy smiled and responded “No ma’am, quite the contrary.  I’ll pay and you throw.  I can’t compete with that arm of yours.” 

As they kept eye contact, the hardness dissipated and she began to smile.  “I’m sorry.  Just, well, I get underestimated at times.  Well, a lot actually.  But you’re very kind and keep your money.  You made me happy inside and that is worth more than the teddy bear.”

Eddy let out a belly laugh and said “Darling, you’re not getting off that easy.  I want to see that arm in action.”  Turning to the carnival worker, Eddy pulled out two coins from his pocket, half the money he had for rides, and slammed them onto the booth railing.  “Get this girl five balls!”

Without any further hesitation, she stepped forward and standing on her tip toes, kissed Eddy on the cheek before saying “Regardless what happens, thank you.  By the way, my name is Diane”.

Ten minutes later, they walked together near the food court, laughing and talking like they had known each other for years.  Diane hugged the large teddy bear in her arms, holding it tightly as if it may run away at any minute. 

And that is how, Eddy meets Diane.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Diane walked along, firmly hugging the large teddy bear she had won.  But in her mind, Eddy had won it for her.  Yes, she had thrown the ball, but without his money, his support, and his encouragement, she would be walking home disappointed once again. 

Surrounded by hundreds of people, yet she felt like it was only the two of them.  She had blocked out all sound except for the sweet melody of his voice.  She couldn’t help but glance in his direction every few steps, admiring the way he smiled and the way he carried himself.  He was tall and with disheveled hair, looked as if he had just stepped off the farm.  But there was a sparkle in his eye and a persona that he seemed to project that made her completely comfortable and at ease.

So far, she had deflected his pointed questions about her past.  She knew he would never understand and wanted to hold onto these precious moments for as long as possible.  She also didn’t know if she could share her feelings any more.  So many walls had been build up over the years.  Even now, she wasn’t sure if her smile was genuine or must something contrived to provide a ruse.  But she felt happy and safe.  That was a combination she hadn’t felt in a long time.

As the two of them walked, they passed a booth marked with a sign “Kettle Corn”.  The smell made her stomach rumble, but she had no money.  Her eyes must have lingered on the carnival food too long as Eddy asked “Diane, would you like some kettle corn?”

Embarrassed at being caught staring, she rejected his offer and avoided eye contact “No Eddy, you have given quite enough.  Let’s keep walking”.

Diane saw that Eddy had stopped and finally turned to face him.  As she looked onto his smiling face, heart seemed to melt as did one of the many walls of protection she had erected.  Then he said “You’re not getting off that easy, share some with me.”  While he was challenging her, it was without malice.  All she could do is smile as she followed him to the booth and watched as he paid the man.  Walking back, Eddy extended the bag of popcorn and said "Ladies first”.

They spent the next couple of hours doing nothing more than walking circles around the fair grounds.  They seemed to talk about everything, yet nothing.  Whenever he would ask questions that she was uncomfortable with, he seemed to sense her deflection and never asked about the subject again.

As night grew on, the crowd began to thin out as the closing time of the fair rapidly approached.  Without discussing, they both headed toward the exit, their pace slowed to prolong their time together.  As they stepped out the exit and the end of the evening was near, they turned to say goodbye.

He started first “Diane, I had an amazing time tonight.  Probably the best night of my life.”

Her heart began to race as she replied “I did also Eddy.  Thank you so much for the teddy bear and the kettle corn. And…”

Before she could continue, he interjected “Now hold on girl, you won that teddy bear all by yourself.  With that cannon of an arm, surprised you didn’t win two!”

They both laughed.  A laugh to break the tension from the inevitable parting and they laughed because it felt right.

Finally, Diane said “Eddy, I have to go.  I.  I, don’t know if I will ever see you again.  When will you be back in town?”

Without hesitation, Eddy said “Diane, I’ll be in town through tomorrow.  Think you can meet me here again, but in the afternoon.  Maybe we can walk down to the park and just hang out?”

With joy in her heart, she said “Absolutely.  Oh Eddy, thank you”.  She stepped up on her tippy toes and kissed his cheek.  Then turning and rushing off, she ran through the parking lot toward the location she had agreed to meet her father.

Report Post Tip

Seeing her father's sedan parked at the far end of the parking lot by itself, under a tree Diane ran.  She carried her prized possession, the large stuffed teddy bear and she was filled with excitement and joy from the evening spent with Eddy.  Opening the rear door first, she set the teddy bear on the back seat, then closed the door and jumped into the front seat of the sedan.  All excitement and contentment was obliterated as she smelled alcohol and saw an empty bottle lying on the seat.

Her father looked at her with half closed eyes and she stared into eyes that had hurt her so many times.  Terror filled her mind as she tried to read his intentions.  Then she knew.  As his lip began to curl, she could see the rage building in his face.  A rage that had left her bruised and beaten so many times.

"Wha the fuck a you working at, you lil bitch" came the slurred words. "You tink just because you get a bear you sometine special.  Well, you ain't shit"

All confidence gone, a shaky voice responded "Papa, please.  I didn't do anything wrong.  Can we just go home?"

"Don't judge me.  How dar you judge me".

Diane opened the door and tried to flee, but her father grabbed her left arm as she tried to exit the vehicle.  She screamed at him "Let me go!" But the larger and much stronger man yanked her back into the car.  The tried to pull away from his grip, but just wasn't strong enough.  Then she saw his other hand raise up to begin reigning blows down on her.  She had just enough time to raise one arm up to shield her face before the blows started coming.  She was crying out "Stop papa, stop."

Doing the only thing she could, she curled up as she had so many times before, protecting her head and hoping it would end.  And she sobbed as the torment once again broke her heart.  Her mind went to a protected place, hidden behind many walls that she had erected over the years of abuse.  And she hoped.

The blows had stopped quicker than normal.  Then she realized she heard another voice.  And the voice was familiar.  Then recognition hit home and she raised her head to see Eddy dragging her father out of the sedan.  While her father was a large man, Eddy was larger.  Eddy threw her father to the ground and shook a warning finger in his direction to stay down.  But her father, with is alcohol fueled attitude, stumbled to his feet and brought up his hands in a fighting stance.  Eddy just stood and lowered his hands, shaking his head to say "Don't do this".  Her father came forward quickly, swinging a wild roundhouse blow aimed at Eddy's face.  She could not help but gasp as she saw the savage blow, having been on the other end of those type blows in the past.  

And then it happened.  Rather than stepping back to avoid the blow, Eddy stepped forward, and her fathers blow missed it's target with his arm glancing off Eddy's shoulder.  Eddy's hand came up in a flash, now made into a fist, and landed a solid blow to the side of her fathers head.  Her father dropped to the ground instantly and did not move.  Eddy breathed out a heavy sigh and then turned to look at Diane with sorrowful eyes.

Stepping forward, he extended a hand to her and said "I'm sorry Diane, I couldn't let him hurt you.  But I can not stay.  Come with me.  I know this is crazy, but.... Come with me."

Report Post Tip

Eddy stared into eyes that seemed to be filled with so much emotion, that he could not read them.  As he waited for some type of response to his offer, his mind jumped from thought to thought in an instant.  Was she upset that he had intervened?  Was she hurt?  Was she in shock?  Did she hate him?  Was she happy to see him?  His confidence in the situation was quickly diminishing as what seemed like an eternity passed in only seconds of time.

He watched as her eyes continued to move from him to her father lying on the ground, then back to him.  He felt an involuntary shudder come over is body as the adrenaline was absorbed into is body and his heart rate began to slow.  Yet she remained perfectly still.

Then Eddy heard a groan from behind him as Diane's father began to come back to revive.  Diane also heard the sound which broke her out of her immobility.  She reached for his hand and grabbed on tightly.  Pulling her self forward across the driver's seat, she stepped out of the car and hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest and began to sob.  He held her, knowing that the wounds she had received were not only superficial.  "Everything will be fine Diane, I promise" were the words he repeated several times over.

Then they heard more sounds coming from Diane's father and Eddy said "We have to go." Not wanting to force her, he released the hug and turned, walking back in the direction of the fairgrounds.  She fell in behind him, not saying anything.  After ten steps, she stopped and ran back in her father's direction.  Eddy's heart sank, but he slowly turned, preparing himself to lose her. 

Diane ran past her father and climbed up onto the drivers seat, reaching over the seat to the back.  With a tug, she brought out the teddy bear and turned and ran back to Eddy.  With a smile, she said "There is no way I'm leaving "Squishy" with that monster!"

Eddy's heart soared and he could only smile.  "So, you named him Squishy?  Really?"  And as they walked back toward the fairgrounds, they talked about everything and nothing, all at the same time.

Report Post Tip

Diane woke the next morning to the sound of a rooster crowing.  Thinking back on the night, her stomach was in such turmoil.  The short fight between her father and Eddy combined with her leaving meant she couldn't return home.  Her father would hold onto his resentment toward her and would hurt her every time he drank.  Yet, where would she go?  Eddy and her had agreed to avoid talking about the night until the nexrt morning.  They had walked for many blocks to put some distance between them and the fairgrounds and had finally spotted a farm house.

Holding Eddy's hand, he had navigated his way quietly to the back side of the farmhouse and into the hayloft where they had been able to construct a makeshift cot.  Eddy had found a tarp and laid it down on the straw.  She remembered looking at the cot and being filled with apprehension that Eddy may assume he could made advances toward her.  She had wanted to run, but where?  With minimal moonlight illuminating the inside of the bar, she could not read his intentions and the worst possible acts began to race through her mind.

But then Eddy had spoke, with a calm in his voice.  "Diane, lie down here and get some sleep.  Cover up with my jacket.  Think I will sit up for awhile and make sure we don't get any visitors sneaking up on us".  As easy as that, the sound of his voice completely drained away her anxiety.  She laid down and pulled her legs up tight and did the best she could to cover up with the coat.  And within minutes, she was asleep.

The rooster crowed once again and her eyes fluttered open.  She noticed that her head was now resting on Eddy's thigh and an arm was draped across her shoulder as she laid on her right side.  Looking up, he had fallen asleep sitting up, but with his head resting against a stack of hay bales.  As soon has she had moved her head, he began to wake up and gentle rubber her arm with his hand.

She sat up and looked at him, but didn't say anything.  Sunlight was streaming through slits in the side of the barn and here sat her savior.  Hair disheveled, a mark on the side of his face from the straw where it had been leaning, and an open mouth yawn that seemed to last forever.  And she found him to be the most beautiful person she had ever seen.

Seeing her stare at him while yawning, closed his mouth quickly and apologized and asked "Why are you just staring at me?"

She smiled and said "Oh, nothing, must waking up myself."  Then, looking around, she gave him an apologetic look when she said "Eddy, I'm really hungry."  Afraid he would get angry for being so pointed at a time where neither of them had any food, she was met with a surprise that further deepened how she felt about this  young man.

"Oh yes, we definitely need some food.  Stay put and let me see what I can find in the kitchen!"  And with that he jumped up and began to dust off the hay from his clothing.

"Wait, you're not really going in their kitchen, are you?"  

"No silly.  But let me look around and see what we can find to eat for now.  Give me a second.  But stay hidden.  If you hear anyone yelling, just stay in here and I will come back for you later."

Diane had grown up in the city and had never even been in a barn before.  It shocked her that Eddy would simply go "find" something to eat.  "Is that how it worked in the country?" She asked herself.

As the minutes wore on, she began to imagine something bad had happened to Eddy.  She asked herself what would happen if he never returned and that thought sent chills down her spine.  She was alone and the feelings of panic began to form as her imagination ran to deeper and darker locations.

Then Eddy appeared.  In one arm he carried numerous garments of clothing and in the other, a towel was wrapped around something.  With a smile on his face, he said "Breakfast is served!" and set the clothing down on a short stake of hay bales.  Then he plopped down on the straw cot in a cross legged position, and opened the towel.  Diane's eyes lit up as she saw an assortment of apples, tomatoes, green beans, and several bright red strawberries.  Looking up for permission, he smiled and said "All yours Diane, I snacked on a few on the way back."

After devouring three of the strawberries, she moved onto an apple.  As she chewed a large bite, she pointed at the clothing and said "What is all that for?" 

"Well, we can't wear the same clothes every day.  And this family has a clothes line just to the side of their house.  And judging from the volume of clothes, they have a BIG family.  Anyways, appears that some are my size and I guessed your size.  Hopefully I was close.  Figured they won't miss just a few pieces."

She looked down and her chewing slowed.  She had so many questions, but was scared to death of what answer may come. 

Then Eddy spoke and she felt like she was about to fall off a cliff with every word.

"Diane, we need to talk.  Alot happened last night.  I can't imagine what is going on between you and your father.  And I apologize if I over-reacted, I just couldn't let him hurt you."

Diane's heart was racing as she expected his rejection any second.  She felt a wall going up in her mind, shielding her emotions from further torment by yet another man.

"Anyways, we just met last night and I absolutely had a wonderful time talking with you, but.  Well, but we really don't know each other."

Diane felt an anger begin to form that would further help defend her fragile emotions and psyche from further anguish.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are at a cross roads.  And some tough decisions need to be made."

Diane was now glaring at Eddy and had pulled her knees up to her chest, providing yet another layer of defense.  As she watched him, the word "coward" came to her mind as he wouldn't even look her in the eyes when he said the painful words of rejection.

"Guess I will just blurt it out.  I like you Diane.  I like you a lot.  But I can't take you back to my small town.  They would never understand and would take you back to your father.  And I can't allow that."  Eddy took a long pause, understanding the gravity of the situation.  Continuing "Diane, I need to know what you want to do?  Do you want me to take you home?"

Diane was fuming, convinced that he was simply trying to make this all her fault and yet to much of a coward to simply say "I don't want you!"  Eddy was not looking at the floor and there was a noticeable slouch in his shoulders.

"No, I'll never return to that place or that monster."  She continued to glare, ready to attack Eddy verbally on the next statement out of his mouth.  And then she sat with a look of shock when she heard the words.  He now was staring right into her eyes and there was conviction in his voice.

"Diane, would you marry me?  I know it's crazy, but" He gulped and there was a look of fear in his eyes at making such a bold move. "You're 16 and I'm 17.  We are of legal age.  Neither of us are willing to go home, so let's make a home together."

Diane just sat and stared.  Gone was the anger.  Gone were the walls.  As raw emotions came to the surface, she had to fight to avoid sobbing.  She stood and looked down at Eddy, but didn't move.  From his seated position, he looked up at her, never breaking eye contact.  Then he slowly rose and it was his time to anticipate the worst.

And then, when she finally moved, it was to leap forward and into his arms, hugging him tightly when she said "Yes, yes I will marry you Eddy!" before burying her head in his chest and allowing the tears to finally come.

After several minutes, she said "Wait" and she stepped back and looked him in the eyes.  He stood there with a goofy look on his face and eyebrows raised.  She partially closed her eyes and slowly said "I don't know your last name."

Report Post Tip

The two had changed into fresh clothes quickly and rolled up their old clothes into a tight bundle that Eddy carried under his arm.  Carefully, the snuck past the house and back out onto the road on the outskirts of town.

Finally, Diane looked at Eddy and asked "Where are we headed?  You know, I get a say in this!"

Eddy stared at Diane for a minute, then replied "You're absolutely right.  We're in this together.  Well, here are my thoughts and see if you agree.  We can't stay in the Dallas area.  Just afraid we may run into your dad and we don't need problems.  No way I'm going to Lubbock.  Have heard there are hardly no jobs in the area.  So, I'm thinking we head south.  Maybe Austin or even as far south as Houston.  And we can make a pit stop by my home on the way and pick up a few things."

Diane walked along and Eddy could see her chewing on her lower lip.  They walked in silence for several minutes before Diane responded "You have a good plan Eddy.  But that's a long way?"  With a heavy sigh, she said "But I guess we aren't in a hurry.  How are we gonna eat without any money?"

Eddy looked back and said "Well, let's take one thing at a time.  First thing, we need to get to my home so I can grab some stuff.  That's about 30 miles from here.  We'll hitch a ride for most of it.  Then once we are there, I know alot of farmer's that deliver eggs and milk to a distributor on the north side of Austin.  We should be able to hitch a ride to Austin pretty easy.  As for food, I'll grab some provisions from my home for now and I have some cash saved up.  Was hoping to buy a car some day, so I have that money."

Eddy noticed that Diane seemed to pep up with what he had described.  Stopping, she walked a few more paces before he stopped and looked back at him.  Making eye contact, he said with all the conviction he could muster "Diane, I'm committed to this.  Don't you worry or fret.  I will take care of us.  We are in this to the end."  

With those supporting words, any signs of worry or concern drained from Diane's face.  "Well, hurry up slow poke.  I want to see what this city, Austin, is all about!"

Report Post Tip

Eddy and Diane sat under a tree, eating a lunch of hard cheese and bread.  Eddy had just returned from visiting his childhood home for the last time and two sacks sat between them.  One sack held clothing and a few personal items.  In the other, provisions that he had acquired from the kitchen including bread, cheese, dried meat and a few other basics.

When questioned, Eddy said that luck was with them as neither of his parents were home at the time, most likely in town for one reason or another.  They sat in silence after that, simply eating and thinking about the challenges in front of them.

Finally the silence was broken as Eddy finished his simple lunch and without looking at Diane, said “Tomorrow morning, the dairy farmer just a short distance from here will be taking a delivery to Austin.  Guess we can just wait around and get a ride from him in the morning.  Sure would be easier if we had a car”. A chuckle escaped Eddy’s lips upon stating the obvious.

After a few seconds, Diane, under her breathe and barely audible, said “Steal one”.

Eddy, for the first time in several minutes turned and stared at Diane.  Blinking and second guessing what he heard, he said “What?”

Diane, looking at the ground, afraid of being scolded for her idea, said “Nothing”

Eddy, seeing her reluctance, said in a soft voice “Diane, never fear me.  I’m simply unsure what you said.  Please say it again.”

With a deep breath followed by a sign, she said “Steal one.  Was just thinking that you are right.  Things would be much easier if we had a car.  And, well, it might appear that we are a legit couple if we at least had transportation.  Otherwise, we might just look like runaways.”

Upon saying that, Diane looked at Eddy in a sideways glance, looking for reinforcement that he wasn’t upset for her assertion.  Eddy just sat and appeared to be thinking, eyes shifting from her to the surroundings.

Shaking his head, Eddy said “I need to check on something.  Stay here and I’ll be back shortly”

Diane sat back against the tree trunk an closed her eyes.  She began to picture herself as a housewife, with an apron around her waist, cooking a meal feverishly, awaiting her Eddy to come home.  Then she felt her heart surge as she her image shifted and a baby began to cry.  Her and Eddy’s baby.  Walking over to the crying infant, sitting in a high chair, she picked what appeared to be a baby girl dressed in pink with a bow in her hair, and held her close to her chest.  The image disappeared abruptly and she was filled with self doubt.  Do I really deserve having a family?  Would I be a good mother?  Would I be a good wife?  Will Eddy really stay with me?  As self doubt consumed her, a tear flowed from her eye and down her cheek.

Then she heard a noise.  Opening her eyes, she pushed herself up from sitting against the tree and look around the back side in the direction of the noise.  A smile filled her face as she saw Eddy driving an old car up the gravel road.  And when she saw the huge smile on his face, she began to prance in place, filled with joy at seeing her love so happy.

Eddy pulled up and stopped.  Looking at Diane, he said “Well baby, we now have a car and we ARE a couple.  Grab my bags and jump in.”  Looking back over his shoulder, the smile disappeared before he said “And you might want to hurry”.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Eddy meets Diane
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL