Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 03:01:55
Page:  1 
Motor City Hustle - Corktown Started by: Kenzi on Feb 24, '19 16:33

Once she'd seen heard the story behind the old Cherry Street Lunch Counter, there was no changing her mind. The place was set to be demolished after years of no one showing interest in the property; but Kenzi wasn't having that at all. Perhaps it was that she saw a bit of herself in the two-story building; abandoned, forgotten, invisible- until someone with means and the right heart came along to rescue it. Certainly now, Kenzi had the means, and before anyone could try to talk her into something newer and more modern, she put her name on the dotted line. With Billy's contractors and a few of her own ideas, work began immediately to revive the brick building at Cherry Street and Trumbull Avenue. 

Just three months later, the general contractor handed Kenzi a set of keys, and she led Billy and Lady-Integra through the front door.  All the brickwork had been restored, making the entire building stand out on the street. A wooden sign was placed over the storefront style door and large glass windows

MOTOR CITY HUSTLE - BAR & BILLIARDS

A dark green awning with white pin striping shades the entryway from the elements, and makes it easier for those inside to see who is approaching. The wooden doors are original to the building, and have cut glass windows inside with "MCH" etched into the center of the decorative glass. 

Inside, Kenzi had insisted that as much of the original floor plan be preserved as possible, hoping to keep a casual, relaxed atmosphere where patrons could feel welcome. 

Upon entering, you'll find a long lunch counter with padded stools to their right, where Ms. Eileen serves breakfast and lunch every day from 5 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Across from the counter, there are several round tables and straight back chairs for those who would like a little more privacy while they eat or have their coffee. If you'd like a newspaper, The Detroit Herald is available at the register for 10 cents. 

As you walk on through, a wall and a set of swinging saloon-style doors leads you to the bar and billiards area. This area is larger and more open than the cozy lunch counter. There's a fully-stocked bar directly against the back wall. The bartenders are Bruce and Jillian, and they'll get you whatever you need. If you can't decide, try one of Jillian's Moscow Mules- they are the best in the city. There are six brand new pool tables, each with red felting and stained glass overhead lamps. Balls and chalk are behind the bar, just talk to Bruce and he'll be glad to set you up. 

To the left of the billiards, there is a space for darts. Two ornate dart cabinets are on either end of the bar area, along with a few high-top tables and stools. Across the bar area, on the right, there is a highly polished shuffleboard table with a large blackboard for keeping score. 

On Sundays, radios are set up throughout the bar so patrons can listen to the horse races, and trusted, local bookies are around to take bets.

There is a small hallway to the right of the bar with a painted sign that reads "Restrooms."  The ladies room is to the left, the mens room is to the right, and there is a door between them labeled "Janitor's Closet." A large, intimidating looking man in a suit stands in front of the closet. Don't worry, that's Marty. He just watches the place and breaks up fights if they happen. 

If you need anything at all, Eileen, Bruce, and Jillian will be happy to see to your requests. Keep an eye out for Kenzi and say hello- just be aware that she may show you her new engagement ring and tell you the story of how Joey proposed.  After all, we're all friends here!

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Billy had been looking forward to seeing the place once it got fixed up, and he was astounded. He never dreamed that the place could look so nice. Hell the couple of places he had tried to fix up just never turned out the way he pictured them. They were fine and all, but never quite like this.

"Morning Ms. Eileen." Billy had met the kindly woman a few times when Kenzi was still looking for the right folks for the place. She was sweet and knew exactly how he liked his turkey club sandwiches. What really struck Billy's eye though was the back area. The bar was gorgeous, and Billy couldn't remember the last time he had time to play billiards, but he liked playing when he was a kid.

He sighed audibly. Those were good times.

He turned around in a circle taking everything in and nodding his approval.

"Alright Kenzi the place is gorgeous, I'll admit it. And worth every penny I'm sure you spent. But I think it's still missing one thing."

He motioned to the front door and watched as his long-time bodyguard Charlie made his way in with a package. He handed it over to Kenzi to open.

Inside was a wooden base with a solid gold placard which read.

Manager and Owner

Kenzi

With Love, B & I

Billy smiled and gave his hand a big hug. His frame swallowed her up every time he was with two feet of her, but she had to know he was proud.

"You deserve it kid. Enjoy it." 

Report Post Tip

Having heard Billy speak to Ms. Eileen on the way in, Kenzi popped up from behind the bar where she was putting away a stack of freshly laundered bar towels. Still in paint-spotted work clothes and a scarf tied over her hair, she met him between the pool tables where Charlie handed her the gift. 

"You didn't have to get me anything, Billy!"

Smiling with excitement, she opened the package. Her eyes widened as she read the inscription.

"Oh!  I just love it! You are so thoughtful!"

Kenzi hugged him tightly. Up until a week ago, she'd never known what it was like to have a big brother. Now, Billy had taken that role, with a side job as her boss. 

When she stepped back, she put her hands on her hips and looked around with a satisfied grin.

"I think we're all ready to open tonight. I finally got the cigars I ordered- one for every customer that visits tonight. Up to about 300 anyway."

Report Post Tip

Billy looked to Charlie, and the bodyguard wrote something down and then walked out of the building to go back to the car.

"300 should do it I think. I don't want to know any of your other secrets though. I just want to know if you need anything at all. And I promise you I will be here tonight, whatever time you tell me to be. I'll reach out to a few friends too and see if I can't get them to show. Nobody crazy, Just Rebecca_Ferrari and KTI-, you're inviting you're guy right? Even though, you know, I still haven't seen that ring yet, but it's fine, it's not like I care anyway."

Billy feigned a disapproving look and then made his way toward the bar.

"I think I need a drink guys, gonna have to drink my sorrows away since Kenzi doesn't think I'm special enough to show off to."

He smiled as a couple of glasses of champagne were poured. He turned and handed one to Kenzi.

"To you, and your success in everything you do."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Laughing and playfully rolled her eyes.

"I can't help it that every time I've seen you in the last week and half I've been in work clothes and didn't want to get paint on my shiny new ring!"

After taking a very small sip of the champagne, Kenzi reached into her pocket and took out a tiny velvet satchel. From it, she carefully removed her newest and most prized possession and slipped it onto her left hand. The ring was made of platinum, and held a 1.5 carat square-cut diamond; which looked considerably larger on Kenzi's slender finger. Grinning, she held out her hand for Billy to see.

"There, now you can see it.  Be careful, though, if it hits the light in just the right way, it can blind you."

It wasn't that she was bragging, but it was clear that Kenzi was proud of her ring; not to mention madly in love with the man who had put it on her finger.

"Joey will be here, a little after opening I think.  He said he had something to do north of the city, but he promised he'd be here."

She bit her lower lip a little nervously.

"If she's able to make it, this will be the first time I've met Joey's mother. If I wasn't nervous about the bar opening, I'd still be nervous as a cat about meeting Rebecca Ferarri."

Report Post Tip

Billy laughed.

"I forget that you all don't know each other. More importantly, I forget that there's the whole underlying thing with marriage and whatnot."

He sipped at the champagne, it was not his favorite. He would rather have something dark in his hand, but this was the thing to drink when you celebrate.

"Far as I was concerned, we were already all family, so Rebecca will love you no matter what. That's what family does."

He put the empty glass down and took Kenzi by the hand inspecting her new ring.

"It really is super nice. And Joey loves you and you love him, so that should be good enough for anybody else."

He let her hand go and stood from the barstool.

"Well I've got a few things I gotta take care of before I can relax, but this place looks gorgeous K, it really does. You did amazing."

He gave her a pat on the shoulder and made his way to the front door where there was a waiting car for him.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Motor City Hustle - Corktown
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL