Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 18 - 16:12:39
Page:  1 
The Protege's Return Started by: KatherineOConnor on Apr 18, '19 19:39

Katie was pacing in the empty office. Not hers, but Isabella's. Although maybe someday...

With a smile, Katie imagined herself behind the desk. Giving orders. Making a difference. Helping the business district. Everything she'd heard about Isabella suggested that the woman had been able to have it all. A family. Power. Influence. A legacy. Katie would be thrilled to have even half of what Isabella had achieved. 

As she heard footsteps, Katie returned to the proper side of the desk, standing and waiting for her don. When Isabella arrived Katie bowed her head respectfully.

"Don Byrne. Allow me to update you on the status of my mission."

Isabella smiled and gestured to the chair as Katie got right to business.

"First I met with Stefano Lucchese. I believe I made a good impression, and he agreed to open the burlesque house in Philly and supply the establishment as well. There is only one modification to your plans, and it's one that I presumed to make because it seemed to make sense. You'd mentioned that he wouldn't owe you anything for tribute, but his major concern was providing security because he didn't want to bring in a bunch of out-of-towners and maybe start an incident. I agreed that for a small tribute you'd handle all security. This seemingly made more sense than having him hire independent security, but if this is an issue obviously this is still an option. Mostly, I didn't think our your guards would mind being assigned in a place like this. Hell they might be fighting for this duty."

She continued ticking off points on her fingers.

"Then I met with Bi- Don Mastrosimone, who was seemingly very impressed by me."

Katie smirked. She knew Billy was spoken for, but it was still nice to make such a good impression.

"I delivered your envelope to him, which he returned within a day or two. He actually tracked me down out in Vegas, which was nice. Had a night on the town with him and Valencia Patangeli, although I don't remember much of it."

"I then took a quick flight to Seattle and introduced myself to Joyri. Gave her your envelope. I was very impressed by her, especially the work she's done with the homeless. I made a small donation myself. Anyways, that was a quick cup of coffee and redeye to Vegas."

"Vegas took a little while, as Consigliere Video was understandably occupied by other business. I followed your instructions and set up a meeting. He'll be coming here to Phaildelphia with someone named Water. I tried to figure out how you could make a good impression on him at dinner by providing him with about a dozen options. Well, that plan slightly backfired because apparently he'd already eaten, so he went right to the ice cream. But he did mention he's a steak and potatoes man. I also offered him both cigarettes and cigars and he went for the latter. Maybe Billy could provide those? Anyways, I'll try to set up a nice steak dinner with cigars and ice cream for dessert."

Starting to run out of breath, Katie smiled.

"It was a bit of a challenge, but I hope I lived up to your expectations Don Byrne."

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $280,000 Tip

Bella listened, nodding as Katie went over the details of her adventures.  "I have to say, I'm impressed and word of your visits has come to me through other channels.  Everything is as it should be.  You've done very well in the technical areas.  I have no doubt that I could ask you to handle business affairs for me and that they'd be addressed with attention to detail and professionalism."

She gave the woman a small smile.

"Of course, that's the 'assistant' half of 'personal assistant' isn't it?  I know you can take care of the things that matter to The Family, but as I'm sure you're aware, my days are very full of much more than just work for Race Street Company Trust.  I have a husband, a son, and a daughter... may God have mercy on me."

She smirked and picked up the coffee she'd left on her desk, taking a sip of it to wake herself up for the second part of her day.  "I know it's rude to ask another woman this, but considering the nature of the position you want to fill, I feel like its something I need to know.  How old are you, Katie?"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Katie smiled, noting the comments about the don's family but not wanting to pry.

"I'll be twenty one in another week or so. But I've packed a lot of living into those years."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Isabella leaned back in her chair, "I know the feeling.  I was a Don by twenty-two, it's not an easy life, but it can be a good one.  A big part of my early years was running here and there for my Don, getting to know the people who make this thing of ours work.  Not just the names at the top, but the real movers and shakers the ones change everything every single day.  Those are the people who you'll make your bones on and I can promise you that working for me will expose you to a lot of them."

"Of course, I'm not wanting to send you off on another business errand today.  I was actually contemplating something a little simpler and maybe a bit more personal."

She arched an eyebrow, "Have you eaten lunch yet?"

Katie smiled and her eyes focused on Isabella-Luciano. The woman obviously trusted her and appreciated her work, and she was starting to feel comfortable enough to joke with her.

"Well, we'll see if I can make it in the next year or so and beat your record..."

Still, she relaxed and listened closely to what Isabella was saying. She didn't actually write down notes, but it seemed like she was inscribing them in her mind. 

"Not yet."

Katie bit her tongue, not wanting to say more if she didn't have to. Was that an invitation? 

"Well, I haven't either.  I was thinking about heading down to the Marketplace and grabbing some salad and a cannoli from one of the little restaurants.  What do you say to the two of us taking our meeting on the road?  It'll give me a chance to show off one of the things I most proud of here in Philly.  You'll be working down there a lot if you keep on with this assistant gig and I need them not to think of you as an outsider and instead an extension of me while you're moving among them."

She shook her head as she stood up, "I'm afraid these immigrant communities, they can be quite closed off to those who are not from their motherland. It's nothing personal, of course, but years of being made victims by those who aren't from where you're from can make anyone a little cautious when a new face turns up.  If the folks see you walking around with me though, you'll be treated like one of us."

"Of course if you're not hungry for homemade Italian, we could always go somewhere else?"  She leaned her head out the door.  "Neil bring the car around.  We're going out for lunch.  April, I think I'm going to be out for the rest of the day."

"Very good Mrs. Byrne."  April said with a smile.  "If anyone else comes in today I'll let them know you'll be back tomorrow."

Bella held the door open for KatherineOConnor.

Walking through the door, Katie felt like she was walking into a new world with Isabella-Luciano.

”Italian sounds wonderful, and I’m thrilled to see anything you’d like to show me.”

Isabella and KatherineOConnor got into her car's backseat of the car.  Neil shut Bella's door and Linval closed the door behind Katie.  A moment later the city was whizzing past them.  Distantly Bella looked off towards Race Street Pier.  "I still remember the first time I saw that Pier.  The old one, of course, not this new monstrosity we've rebuilt.  The old pier had character, this one feels like... well, a very expensive imitation."

She shook her head. 

"I own property down there but I can't bring myself to utilize it.  All I keep thinking about is what was... I have the eyes of an old woman now.  I have a very difficult time seeing what could be anymore.  I suppose it's why I try to keep so many younger men and women around me.  I need people who still dream about what yet could be, who are hungry to make it a reality..."  she sighed.  "Not foolish old women with their heads lost in memories of things long gone."

She looked towards Katie, "Maybe one day you'll be among the young who breathes life and character back into those empty buildings.  You'll tell stories about the Old Dragon the way I used to tell stories about sitting at the feet of Old Man Mezzo."

She couldn't help but smile thinking of Jack, one of the two men she named her son to honor.  God, she missed him.

Katie thanked the man who closed the door of the car. He was obviously someone who worked for Isabella-Lucianoand his gray hairs suggested he was very experienced. As the car moved to the pier, Katie considered what Isabella was saying. Philadelphia had been around a long time, and Katie wanted to learn about its history to help her understand things better.

"Old Man Mezzo? The father of the current Godfather? Uncle?"

"Grandfather."  She said as the pier disappeared.  

"Jack Mezzo was the architect of the Race Street Company and while I came late to Philly in the late summer of his great run, I got to know him a bit and to see the wonder that he was.  It was one of my great honors to work under him and learn from him.  We did wonderful things with the fight circuit.  Made the old man millions, but more than that..."  she narrowed her brown eyes thinking back.  "It felt like something we really did together.  A true family effort the likes of which my ancestors had never seen before.  Something truly special, a singular creation the likes of which I don't think I will see ever again in my lifetime."

She looked to Katie, "A shame you weren't around then, it was one hell of a thing to have been a part of and Jack would have liked you I think.  He had a thing for women who could get shit done."

She laughed.

"He used to give Gavin such a hard time... and thought that Will Bowden shat gold.  Which, in fairness, perhaps he did.  Lord knows his earnings were unreal at times.  Only Tara ever outpaced that son of a bitch."

The car pulled down Nineth street and the atmosphere changed instantly.  Buildings seemed tighter together, and the front stoop of every doorway seemed to be filled with old men, gossiping housewives, and shoeless children running amok.  People looked at the car and as children recognized Bella's vehicle, they began to follow it cheering.  The car eventually found a place to park at a curb and the bodyguards got out.  Neil, the silent driver, reached into his pockets and began handing out small penny candies to the children.  A few of which quickly told him that no one had been seen in the Market today that they didn't know.  Neil ruffled a few children's heads of hair and sent them on their way squealing over the sugary treats.

Bella smiled at the long street ahead of them running from Fitzwater to Wharton Street.  "The Italian Market was a skidrow when I found it.  Immigrants living in run-down conditions, victimized by local police, trying to look out for each other the best they could.  I helped them fix up the buildings, showed them how to take their skills from the old country and turn it into marketable businesses here.  What was once avoided because of it's high concentration of non-English speaking people is now a tourist attraction for the City of Philadelphia.  Race Street enforcers keep the streets free of any violent crime and everyone here,"

She said waving to an elderly woman selling fish as if to prove her point.

"Knows who they have to thank for it.  The tribute comes regularly and on time, but more importantly, this place is a symbol of what can be achieved in America if you work hard for it.  If you have the courage to take a real chance in this life and stand together."

"DONA BELLA!"  The fish woman called out waving them over.

"Mrs. Spadaforra... how is your husband Nicholas?"  She asked making her way over to the woman.

"His foot is healing up.  Thank you for sending the doctor to see him.  The doctor, he tells us that the infection was much worse than my Nicky wanted to say.  He could have lost his foot."  she took Bella's hand and kissed the back of it.  "I thank you for saving him from his pride."

Bella smiled and nodded.  "Allow me to introduce you to my friend, KatherineOconnor.  Katherine will come down here and help you out from time to time.  If you see her... know you can speak to her as you would me, alright?"

"Si.  It is good to meet you Miss."  The fish monger wiped her hand on the apron she was wearing and offered it to Katie.

Katie listened carefully as Isabella-Luciano spoke of the past. She was chiefly concerned with the future, of course, but Philadelphia seemed to have a long, rich history and only a fool would be ignorant of it. There were some names she recognized and some she didn't. But the reaction from the people? That was something anyone could recognize and appreciate. Sometimes people wondered how crime lords could stay in power for years or decades. But if they won the favor of the people, it became almost impossible to pin anything on them. Because who would testify? And as Isabella mentioned, they did a much better job than the cops at keeping the streets clean. 

Katherine accepted Mrs. Spadaforra's hand enthusiastically, introducing herself and smiling to make a good impression. When the grateful Italian woman had finished thanking them, Katie waited respectfully for Isabella. Earlier, Katie had taken the lead during her report. But now? It was time to just stand back and listen. At least until the don asked her more questions.

"The people here love you, Don Isabella. Thank you for showing me this. I'll be sure to visit here often."

Isabella walked down the road toward the small cafe, greeting people here and there and eventually settling into a seat at a table made for two.  When the waiter came up and handed them each a menu, Bella instantly passed it back and ordered pasta fagioli and a cannoli. 

When she and KatherineOconnor were alone she asked, "So, how is it you came to be here as opposed to somewhere else?  It seems I'm pretty lucky to have landed someone of your skillset, though I have to admit, I've wondered if it were totally by chance or design.  The truth is we know relatively little about each other outside of the very broadest of strokes and if we're going to work closely together, I figure maybe it's time we change that.  So... ask whatever you like.  No holds barred."

Katie ordered the same thing as Isabella. Better to defer to the expert here, as well. She made polite conversation as they waited for their food, turning to more serious matters when they could lean back in their chairs and ponder. Katie was getting used to sitting across Isabella-Luciano.

"Well, I can tell you that it certainly wasn't chance that I wound up here. As I said, I'm largely interested in working in the streets and the business districts. Yours was the only crew where this seemed to be essential, so you were immediately on my radar. Beyond that, the men I'd met initially on arriving here all mentioned South Phildelphia as one of the places I should look at. The combination of the two, as well as my own investigations into your operation, all pointed me toward you."

She shrugged. That was one decision she didn't regret.

"And you may regret that 'no holds barred'."

Katie smirked. Then she unloaded a Thompson's worth of questions across the table toward her boss.

"What should I know about the members of your family, since I'll be serving as your personal assistant?"

"Who should I reach out to in the crew? Who in the crew should I be aware of?"

"What skills of mine do you want me to work on?"

"What do you see my duties as entailing?"

"What is the state of the crew, generally? And the state of the district? The city? What should I know?"

"Are there are any immediate concerns you'd like me to address?"

Forcing her mouth closed with an audible click of her teeth, Katie figured that was enough for now. She wanted to know, but she didn't want to be a bother.

Ending up starving, almost to death it seemed...I wound up at a cafe. After the waiter had sat me I thought I had seen Isabella-Lucano and Katie sitting nearby. I of course didn't want to interrupt with what looked like a meeting between the two of them. Truth be told. I am proud of Katie. She seems to be coming along well in our family, and I see great things for her future. I kinda waved at them to acknowledge them, but not to bother them. I would of course come if wanted, but only in that situation. I took the menu to look it over, thinking about a soup and salad sort of thing.
Report Post Tip

Isabella laughed, "Well, I did ask for this."  She said in response to the barrage of questions.  

"Let's see.  First and foremost everyone in this group, to a man, has some past history with me personally.  I've tried to recruit people who have long been staples in the streets or at least their kin have been.  I'll give you a little bit about each man and woman, eh?  My right-hand is Aurelio, his real name is Ryan Bowden, he is the son of William Bowden who was a Race Street Don.  Will was my very best friend in all the world.  I named my son to honor him.  As such, Ryan is as much family to me as my own flesh and blood."

"Di's mother was my right-hand in Detroit.  Her family has always followed mine around in this thing of ours and somehow they've always been there when one of my people has risen to power.  I invited her to join me because of that, she's as much a good luck charm as just distant relative."  Isabella chuckled, taking a drink from the glass he waiter had put down.

"@VictorPerry worked with me under Louis Mezzo.  He's a hard worker but damn quiet.  I haven't had the pleasure of talking with him as much as I would like but he's an honest man and he pulls his weight.  Though, if you could get him to open up a bit more, I'd be quite impressed with you."

She put her glass aside, "Albert_Anastasia is a young one and more absent from the HQ than I'd like but his ancestors are my kin - through my father Salvatore actually.  He has the potential to be a real hitter ... if we could get him out of his bed more often and here in the streets." 

She smiled.  "I think he's quite the fan of the ladies and so that's why we don't see as much of him as I'd like.  It's a common problem.  While our people have been known to be very active in the streets in the past... many of them are busy doing other things and I can't seem to excite them into activity the way I'd like.  I've even offered to pay them to be active... and still nothing.  I sometimes wonder if, in my old age, the ability to inspire has waned some..."

She shrugs. 

"Franco_Vanucci is the descendant of another long-time friend of my ancestors.  His bloodline has included some well-loved men who I hope he will be inspired by.  One,"  She laughed, "Even thought that he was Kris Kringle ... you know, Father Christmas?  Well, whether the man was Santa or not, he was a damn fine earner and active face in the streets.  As such, Franco was definitely offered a spot in this crew that he'd bring the same fun spirit to our number."

"Marcie is another old face returned.  The moment she heard I was going to launch a crew she came running.  Her ancestors served my ancestors - strong guns and even stronger attitudes.  Sharp wits and even sharper tongues.  They always had a drive and activity level that was second to none in the streets.  Unfortunately, Marcie was ill about a week ago and I haven't seen her since.  I'm hoping she's alright."

"Rat_Smiley is another family member, a strong voice in the streets and easily our best earner though Aurelio and he fight for that title."  She smiled.  "He's a bit of a greasy guy and makes some people uneasy... but he's got a heart of gold.  He's a huge fan of cheese and while his looks make him look a little rat-like... he's honestly a straight arrow.  I think if anyone showed him the smallest amount of attention he would do almost anything for them.  Especially if that someone had your good looks."  She winked at KatherineOConnor.  Rat would be a good tool for her to use, if she wanted a useful tool.

"Roxanne_LeRoux is another person of pedigree on our streets.  A gangster's gangster.  She could be one of our most visible members in the business districts and streets easily.  She's more concerned with making connections than making money or becoming a hitter and I'm okay with that, it suits our needs.  I think so long as she has something to do here, she won't move on but for the moment she's made clear to me she wants that option to remain open and so I'm not likely to make her a made man until the day she asks it.  So long as she might see clear to find a new home and doesn't quite see us as family, I can't justify moving her up... a damn shame too because she could very easily be one of the best of our number."

"JesseSullivan is a young one who I haven't seen much of which is a shame because like so many others in this crew he has a history with my ancestors.  His family has served as hands under my ancestors and his forefather SullivanBlack would have been my ancestor Frankie_Messia's auth if she had lived two more days to see Godmother."  She shook her head.  "Sullivan is easily one of the best and brightest if he can be urged out of his home and back into our streets.  Right now though, I've had almost no luck urging him to come out of the shadows."

She tilted her head looking at Katie, "What you must think of this group and of my leadership!"  She chuckled dryly.  "The potential to be one of the best crews in existence but I can't inspire them to activity and a damn shame because I've lived longer than my contemporaries, we live in a truely blessed age where men and women of the streets have longer to tell their stories than their predecessors.  Seems a damn waste they aren't here with us doing business.  If I had one wish it was that I could get them all active for one week together... if they had a chance to be together and active, why, I suspect that none of them would stop.  The trick is, when I've seen one or another of them, it's always when others aren't around and a quiet HQ doesn't inspire folks to stick around and put in the effort."

She frowned and then spotted Di coming in for food.  She gave the woman a wave. 

Katie listened intently to Isabella-Luciano as she talked about her crew. Maybe family was a more accurate word for it. She listened to the information, the doubts, and the reflections, filing them away for later. When asked a question, Katie chose that moment to take a large bite of her sandwich and think. Chewing and swallowing, she eventually spoke.

"I think you're doing a fine job, Don Byrne. As much as we like to pretend, I don't think we can ever really have control over other people. Based on my understanding of this world, these things happen in waves. Sometimes, we get a chance to light the world on fire. Other times, it takes everything we've got just to keep the candle burning in the window as a reminder to people. It seems to me that if you keep trying, you're doing everything you can."

Katie smirked.

"And maybe this summer will present more of an opportunity? Get people out of the office and onto the beach, maybe it'll have a good effect on them."

As Di walked in, Katie recognized her face. With a grin, she waved at the crew's LHM.

"Aurelio is a good one to reach out to.  As my right-hand, he'll probably work with you quite often.  As far as expanding your skills go, I think that comes down to what you want to be doing in the future.  If you are interested in such a thing, I'd even be willing to pay for you to expand your education... God knows we could use a decent lawyer in this family."  She laughed.

"As far as what your duties would entail, to be honest, I've never had a personal assistant before and you were very aggressive in going after this position, so I'd like to hear what you think your duties should be?"

"The state of the crew right now is quiet, not very active but we're young and my ancestors have seen crews have slow starts in their beginnings.  I'm not worried too much ... yet.  The district and city remain stable and strong.  I can't say there is much I think you need to know about as my personal assistant, but I'll keep you posted as things develop."  She chuckled.

"As for immediate concerns... I have none.  More than anything I just wanted to get a little sit down with you in to see how you felt about running the errands for me that you did.  See if you felt good about the type of work since I have never really hired anyone for this sort of thing before.  Figured I'd ask if you had concerns that maybe working for me isn't quite what you hoped it would be?"

She waved the waiter back over, "You know what, actually could you just box up my meal, I'll take it with me.  I just realized I do need to get this wrapped up real quick.  Could you bring the bill?"

"Of course, Ma'am."  the waiter said with a smile and went to go about boxing up the meal and getting their tab.  

She leaned back in her chair.  "Take your time enjoying your meal.  And, you don't have to have all the answers to my questions right now, give the skills and education thing some thought, of course ... but I would like your initial thoughts on the job so far and what you're hoping to take away from this position."

Report Post Tip

Katie listened attentively to Isabella-Luciano as she continued to pick at her meal. She sometimes used her food as a shield. For example, when Isabella proposed studying law, Katie took a particularly large bite. A lawyer? She'd never really considered the possibility, but she could see how it could be useful. 

"That would be extremely generous. I'd of course be interested in pursuing that possibility for you."

Katie smiled at Isabella-Luciano.

"Well, I mostly thought that I'd serve you directly. If you had a situation that required a non-violent solution, whether it's information gathering or diplomacy, you could send me in to represent you. On a day to day basis, I'd be your shadow. Help you get through the daily grind. I'd be happy to go to other cities for you to continue to build good relationships, of course, but ideally I'd like to balance that with work for you here in Philadelphia too."

She shrugged.

"But I think we can also figure some of this out as we go. I have some ideas, but mostly I just admire you, and I want to help you do whatever you want to do. I figured a position as personal assistant would help me do that best."

The waiter brought back the boxed up food and Katie stood when Isabella did.

"I think I'm going to go sleep for 12 hours straight to recover from all my travels. After that, I'm excited to get to work with you."

With a wave, Katie headed back to her small apartment with many ideas for the future running through her head.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Protege's Return
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL