Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 10:02:21
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
The MRAG Award Nominees (Super Tuesday) Started by: Caitlin_McConnell on Feb 05, '08 19:27
I have a hunch that Howard was intended as a joke...

But Isabella, why not? I enjoy taking the time reading what you have put effort into writing.
Report Post Tip
Oliver_McTavish is up for Ms. Mafia?

I was under the impression that Oliver was a guy, even though his coffeeshop "personality" was rather feminine. Are these awards actually going to the real men and women here in the mafia, or are we handing them out to who the people they are in the coffeeshops.

Not to rain on your parade, but perhaps some thought should be put into these things, unless we've decided to open the streets up with "out of character" speeches and award ceremonies now.
Report Post Tip
As quoted from my announcement:

Also, the nomination committee is not responsible for any misconceptions of the general public, included but not limited to mistakes in gender identification.

You're not raining on my parade at all. The fact that Oliver McTavish received the nomination from the general public is not the nomination committee's misconception, but rather the publics. If they feel that the former crewleader deserves the gender specific title, I will not take that wish away from them.

After all, there are rumors circulating that our mutual long term enemy, Mr. J. Edgar Hoover has been spotted masquerading as a woman.
Report Post Tip
The big night is fast approaching. I can't wait.
Report Post Tip
Looks at all the nominations.. laughing at a few of them before setting up the list down

It will be interesting on a few of these who everyone votes for.
Report Post Tip
Well it's an honor just to be nominated but...pick me pick me pick me pick me...
Report Post Tip
Mike Hunt hears the nominees and begins to think to himself. After a few moments he beings to speak.

I'd like to bring the attention to the Most Accomplished Hitmen Category.

As it seems, a few of the Nominated are Bosses/Crewleaders. Crewleaders are not Hitmen but lead a family that has a unit of Hitmen in itself. Hitmen are often freelanced killers or are given orders to take out someone. They never mistake business for pleasure.

Crewleaders don't take orders but give them out. I think the category should be reviewed or cut down as a few Nominees are indeed Crewleaders.

Any thoughts?
Report Post Tip
Exactly. The category is not "Best gun", but "Best Hitman". A hitman works for a Boss, a hitman isn't a Boss.
Report Post Tip
Now Signore Mike_Hunt and Signore TheWeasel, while I would normally agree with you, are these awards not for the progress of our world over the past four months? I’m pretty sure a current mob boss now may have been a hitman, or RH, or whatever you have it before gaining his bold suit. For instance, I can see several people in the Hitmen category whom I know for a fact started out as honorable war captains for their Boss before gaining their own respective families.

This might help to clarify for the repeated names we see so often in the multiple categories.

Kates bows her head politely before leaning back against a nearby brick wall. She surveys the nominee list with a small grin, visualizing her choices for the best of each group.
Report Post Tip
I thought of that, Kates, but I lack faith in us as collective individuals to be able to judge each nominee alone on their accomplishments prior to running a family. Our judgment will be clouded as we will have a hard time remembering where was the "cut off point", if any of us would even bother trying to determine that in order to make an objective selection. Objectivity in this contest, as it is, probably doesn't exist. It will be even harder to remain objective if we are asked to disregard accomplishments after a certain point in a mafioso's career. It would be similar to presenting evidence to a jury, and then asking them to disregard it when forming a verdict. It will always be there, in the back of their minds.

Since you brought it up, shouldn't diversity be in the interest of an activity such as this? Of course it is, which is why we have different categories. If you want the everyman to be intrigued and involved, then every single category shouldn't consist mainly of CLs and RHMs.
Report Post Tip
TheWeasel, of course diversity was the main goal of this. Which is why instead of having a select few people pick who should fill the categories it was open to the entire public over the course of seven days. Despite the fact that over two dozen people nominated their peers, many of the same individuals were nominated for awards. Seemingly, these people made an impact (or are currently making an impact) by their service.

Again, the voting is up to the entire community, over a period of three days. I don't see where there's been any impropriety or bias, as the people have clearly expressed their thoughts in their nominations and subsequent voting.
Report Post Tip
I can agree with you on that, Sir Weasel, the lines in this instance surely are blurry. Though I personally feel that everyone has a right to be nominated for every category. This was a contest for the public by the public, and the public voted. I see many questionable nominees in each category, but once again, the world has spoken.

As it was, I thought some of the nominees were quite diverse. I saw names that my bloodline had long forgotten existed; quite exciting, really, that many would remember such people. This was a contest designed for the ‘everyman’, as you said, but people turned it into one of glamour and show for the people you see on those lists today. I think in this case it is not really the ability to distinguish between past and prior accomplishments, just that many of the Mafiosi today cannot see past what is in front of them: for example, the current notables who walk amongst us today.

That, or there were hardly any responses to Miss McConnell’s plea for nominations, and she had to make do with what was presented to her.
Report Post Tip
I will admin anyone that doesn't vote for me...

That is all.

Good day. :)
Report Post Tip
Mr. Mafia: SalvatoreMarino
Report Post Tip
The way I understand it, "Mr Mafia" is supposed to be someone who embodies the traditions and spirit of this thing of ours; someone whose knowledge and experience in the ways of the mafia serve as a model for others to follow.

And...Sal Giaquinto is in that category, so anyone else being chosen for that award would be ludicrous and completely destroy the credibility of the award.
Report Post Tip
I agree with Pig here on that one... Sal is the only way to go.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The MRAG Award Nominees (Super Tuesday)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL