Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 13:25:01
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
When in doubt, go to the library Started by: Thomas_OMalley on Aug 14, '19 05:58

Thomas looked down at Beau's hopeful glance and smiled. "Well, the good news is yes... If you're one, then at least your mother was one... Or Grandmother. Depending on how deep it runs in your blood. However, I can't answer yes or no on who may have caused that fire. I do suppose it could be a possibility though."

He shrugged, not really sure how to go about that question without possibly upsetting or disappointing her with his answer. Regardless, he thought she deserved to know his true thoughts. He chuckled a bit before shaking his head, "If I'm honest, the jury is still out and it's too early. Besides, even if you exhibit -some- of those characteristics it doesn't make you BAD inherently. Hell, I'm pretty fucked up as far as that goes."

He kissed her forehead before turning and looking out the window.

"What do you think about it so far, though?" -Aside from feeling bad about being, well, possibly inherently bad...- he thought to himself.

Report Post Tip

As the streets slipped past them, streetlights and neon signs melting into a watercolour blur as the day darkened beneath heavy storm clouds, Beau felt hunted; as if each flash of lightening foretold the icy glimmer of hungry eyes shrouded in the growing gloom and each clap of thunder concealed within it the low, rolling growl of some ravenous beast that would tear her away from her new, happy life at each moment. Haunted as if every eery, whining gust of wind camouflaged the deathly wail of whatever banshee cry would portend the end of her short-lived utopia with Thomas. It had been too good to be true from day one. And now the truth perched on the story horizon, poised and ready to strike at the heart of her only moment of true happiness and hope in all of her short and tragic life. 

Distressed and tormented, she stared out the window as he spoke. Well, at least he was honest, she thought with a dry snerk. That was, until his last comment. The words cut her deeply... and she felt the weight of them sting her cheeks as if she'd been slapped. Gasping, she turned to face him; her crystal eyes smouldering as she glowered at him. "HEY," she scolded him, looking rather offended, "if I feel bad, then certainly I can't be bad. Because bad people don't feel bad about the bad things they do." 

She said it with conviction... which was an improvement. But the expression of mild betrayal that lingered behind her charged gaze told him it was only half-hearted. "And, even if I am.... that," she whispered softly, "it doesn't change who I am... right?" she asked, her eyes pleading with him to agree. Like, really agree. Because obviously, right at this moment, she wasn't so sure. And for the first time in a long time, she was afraid to know the truth... that loomed on the horizon like even more of a beast than she feared she might be. 

Report Post Tip

Thomas blinked as she berated him... Blinked and stared. Lightning bleached his face and sparkled in his eyes. The thunder clap that followed sent shivers down even the most hardened of criminal's spines. Yet still he was silent; mostly confused and shocked.

"Well, yes... If you feel bad, then it means you at least have a conscience... So that helps in making you less inherently bad. And no, it wouldn't chance who you are. You will always be the sweet and dear Isabeaux Duquette to me. Even if you're one of those, you still put me first and took care of me. Evil wouldn't have cared."

-What the fuck just happened? Where had that outburst even -come- from? Was she okay?-

He worried about her mental well being in the current stressful situation of not knowing what one is, but the only information to go on was something that wasn't the -greatest-... Like being told you're a winner, only to realize you merely received a participation trophy...

Thomas reached up and pet her head, stroking his fingers through her blond locks. -What -are- you? Better yet, what is a samojuda? I know that word, but something about it doesn't feel right. There's just something not quite fitting together. We really need to find that missing page... Or find someone who knows these legends.-

Thomas sighed and kissed her forehead. "Don't worry Beau... We'll get to the bottom of this. I have some ideas still." -Maybe Kovi could help with his connections?- was Thomas' last thought that wasn't jumbled as the car pulled to a stop about a block down from The Black Wolf Lounge.

"This'll be the best parking we get with this vehicle, Mr. O'Malley. Hope that's okay?"

"Aye lad, it's perfect, thanks!"

Thomas exited the vehicle and held the door for Beau.

"Go get some coffee... May be a long night, capice?"

The two exchanged pleasantries then Thomas shut the door as Beau got out of the car.

"Shall we? Oh... Don't take too many shots of giggle water if they're offered. A real gas, but the hazy effect tomorrow won't be fun of ya hit it too hard."

He chuckled and smiled.

Report Post Tip

"I thought that's what we were doing," Beau mumbled softly, shaking her head. "Although, Kovi's not a bad idea. Creatures might know more about creatures, right? Erra... 'beings'," Beau corrected herself as they pulled up to the curb. Her lithe fingers drew glowing quotes in the airs as she said the last word, her nose wrinkling a bit. Somehow 'being' almost felt WORSE than 'creature'... but at least it wasn't 'beast'. That would certainly be a hit to the self-esteem. Though neither of them really had time to process her tone as they both blinked, shocked and apprehensive as Beau fanned the quotes frantically out of the air before the driver had time to notice. 

Accidents. They really couldn't afford any more. 

Rolling her eyes, Beau shot him one of 'those' looks as they slid out of the car. "You really think that I'm not used to turning down shots? I'd have pancreatitis by now if I didn't know how to handle liquid flattery," she giggled a bit... slightly sarcastic, but much less grouchy. "C'mon, Sugar," she called over her shoulder, holding her hand out expectantly as she took off in the direction of the pub. All business she was, as she waited for his arm to slide under her waiting hand... spoiled business. For sure. Walking like she owned the night, the street, and him. As if there wasn't a wad of apprehension the size of a golf ball lodged in her throat; squeezing her ribcage like a boa and barbed wire had a baby. Nope. She was cool as a cucumber, steaming in the rain. 

Report Post Tip

But Thomas didn't move... As Beau tried to walk forward, his arm in hers, she just stopped as his dead weight held her back.

"Do me a favor. Close your eyes and listen very carefully... Repeat after me." He looked at her as she stared at him, her brow raised; giving him the -right now?!- look.

"Just do it, hi?"

As she rolled her eyes and looked away closing them, Thomas smiled to himself...

"Three berries pic..." he trailed off but continued to think to himself... -ked along the fence post; raspberry, juniper berry, Holly berry...-

"Now..." Thomas spoke out before pressing his lips together. -Repeat it...- he thought to himself and waited.

Report Post Tip

It was dark, it was cold, it was raining. They were getting soaked. Her adorable fascinator currently looked like a scene out of 101 dalmations. And he was playing games

Ah, well. There were worse ways to end up wet. 

With a chuckle of a sigh she closed her eyes, listening intently to the sounds of the city around her. The car's engine rumbling softly, each drop of rain echoing like a symphony off the pavement, the thunder above them, and the soft shuffle of rushed steps trying to dodge the rain around them. Laughing she shook her head. 

"What... are you making a gin-berry cocktail?"

Report Post Tip

"No... But I certainly -thought- about it. I can't believe it took me this long to catch on, but for fuck's sake Beau..."

-You're reading my mind, girl!-

Thomas cackled and took off, dragging her along with him as they raced down the alleyway. He didn't even give her time to really think about what he'd been saying. As he reached the end of the alleyway, he turned to a plaque on the wall and knocked on it. The center of it slid open and Thomas called out...

"Holly, Juniper, and a touch of Razz..."

The tiny center slid shut, then Beau would hear the sound of a vault lock styled door opening, and then the wall itself swung open. Thomas looked around before dipping into the room with Beau on his heels.

"Welcome to the Eye of Newt... A nice little pub for us magical creatures and beings."

Inside there were elves, tiny fairies, and numerous other creatures of the magical world... All of those sentient enough to speak and drink could be found here.

"No, it's not named after Newton, either... Though I'm sure he has eyes here somewhere..."

Report Post Tip

"Wait, Wh...AAT?!" Beau yelped as she was whisked away from the curb. 

"Holly, Juniper, and a touch of razz..." Wait... didn't they just go over that? 

As Thomas tugged her through the small door-in-the-wall, Beau's eyes nearly bulged out of her head. Sure... she'd seen the order HQ, but that was nothing compared to this. Things she'd only imagined... and things she never could have imagined, all under one swanky roof. To avoid staring, Beau simply hugged close to Thomas and eyed the patterned carpet. 

Swaying a little, she tried to fend off the swimming sense of overwhelm as he dragged her toward a table. 

As the club bustled around her, Beau blinked down at the table. Was this really happening or was she just losing her mind? It definitely felt like she was losing her mind. For fuck's sake, he'd just said... 

"WAIT," Beau nearly screeched, "Did you just say... that I... you're joking right? That's not possible." 

Finally glancing up from the table, Beau boggled at the scene around her... fairies, goblins, elves, and all manner of other magical beings... in a bar... going about their business as if it wasn't absurd. Was there really anything that was impossible at this point. 

"Is it?"

Report Post Tip

Thomas smiled. "No... It's very possible. That would make you a Legilimens, and what you're doing is called legilimency." He chuckled. "And what I'll do from now on is called occlumency, which is the practice of shielding one's mind from a Legilimens."

Looking around the bar he flagged down one of the bar matrons. A sweet looking girl. She made her way over and sat at the table. "How's it goin' sugar?" she practically cooed at Beau, her smile intoxicating as she went ahead and slid a drink in front of them.

"Compliments of the house, Mr. O'Malley and Miss Duquette..." The girl smiled and leaned back. "So what can I get for you, hmm?"

Thomas eyed the drink and slid it aside, then leaned forward and looked over the woman. "I need to see Kazzik."

The girl physically stiffened. "He's not in, can I give him a message?"

"Just tell him who it is kitten, he knows better than to stand me up. Now march your ass through that kitchen and into his back office and tell him fucking Alley Cat is here, and he won't keep me waiting if he wants this joint to keep runnin' smooth."

She frowned and huffed, pushing herself up. As she walked away, Thomas turned and winked at Beau.

"Okay, go ahead try the drink. It's just gonna be giggle water. It's how they hook ya."

He smiled and pushed it to her. However, as she drank, the young cocktail waitress reemerged with a burly Goblin...

"TOMMY!" the 'man' yelled from across the bar. "Why didn'ja say you was comin', boy? I'd have made more room for ya."

Thomas smirked and shook Kazzik's hand before offering a chair at the table.

"Well what can I do for ya, A.C.?"

Thomas plucked 'Knowble' out of the air and handed it toward Kazzik. "I need to find the last entry on that data card. Name ring any bells?"

Kazzik took the book and looked it over, turning it all which ways, until shaking his head. "Nah, it ain't that clear to me..."

Thomas tugged a few bills out of his money clip and slid them over the table. "What about now, hmm? Your memory any better?"

Kazzik looked again and chuckled, "Well whattaya know? I think I -might- know this guy. Comes in here occasionally. Couldn't tell ya really what he looks like though..."

Thomas sighed and threw a few more dollars at him and, like clockwork, he knew more...

"Yeah, actually... Come to think of it, he's here right now." Kazzik pointed to a back corner. "But O'Malley. Don't go makin' trouble in my bar, ya hear?" Kazzik stood and walked away from the table, counting his new, shiny bills.

Thomas turned to Beau and smiled. "Wanna take 'Knowble' and see if our friend knows anything?"

Report Post Tip

Beau didn't get to fully appreciate the euphoria of the magical alcohol. Her giggle quickly morphing into a stifled choking as "Kazzik" made his way to the table. She was very aware that her reactions could make or break Thomas' business. So she was equally conscious of her expression as the 'men' discussed the book... to no avail. 

Kazzik noticed Beaus' curious stare as he counted out his bills, sneering he quipped"Whatsamatta? Ya never seen a goblin before, toots?" 

Blushing, Beau blinked up at him innocently. "Umm... I'm sorry. No... actually," she admitted with a sheepish air of harmless naivetè. 

Kazzik, stopping mid-step, whipped around to return her shocked stare... as if SHE were some oddity or impossible creature. And... she had to remind herself, she was. Giving Thomas a heavy glance, he crept back over... slowly, as if he thought she might bite... and clapped a heavy hand on Thomas' shoulder. "I dunno what you're thinking A.C., or where you found her. But you might wanna take her to the back room until some of these boys clear out." 

Lowering her head, Beau slipped 'Knowble' from the table and scampered over to the corner where their new friend was sitting. There was no way she was missing out on this opportunity. Whatever else was going on, she'd let the men work it out. Right now, she needed to see a man about a harpy. 

Quietly, she approached the corner booth, smiling nervously. "Um... excuse me," she asked softly, peering down at an unbelievably short man perched on a stack of books to reach the table. "My... um... my name is Beau. And.. um... would... would you mind if I ask you a quick question? It's nothing personal." Glancing up from his mug of ale, the man glared at first. But as his gaze travelled over Beau's form... taking in her features and her demure posture, he softened ever so slightly. "Make it quick," he grumbled, motioning to the seat across from him. And Beau slid into the booth eagerly. 

"Thank you," she nodded, giving him a sweet smile. "I'm trying to research... some things... creatures. ... or beings. I'm not entirely sure. You see, this book volunteered itself... quite eagerly, I might add. But there seems to be some missing information. Your name is the last entry on the library card here. And so I was just hoping that you might remember if this page was there when you borrowed it, or not." 

Arching a brow, the little man-thing fished a set of spectacle from his vest pocket... his abnormally large eyes magnifying to nearly comical size behind the convex glass. Sliding the book across the table, he turned it to face him; reading over the info with no problem. "Ah yes. I remember this volume. 'Ancient Beings of Magic'... a non-magical treatise on magical beings. A very unique look into the muggle understanding of magical creatures. And, coincidentally, one of the world's most well-preserved examples of the Glagolitic script outside of religious texts." 

Sipping his beer, the little-man smiled and nodded at Beau, "I'm afraid I may not be of much help. My use of the manuscript was focused strictly on the no-maj ability to conceptualize an accurate understanding of magical creatures. Not on the supposed beings themselves. You must understand, most of what's written here is... at best... skewed by a non-magical world view. Most of these creatures... if they exist at all... don't match the descriptions here. Why would you rely on a book like this, anyway?" 

Leaning close, Beau gazed at him a moment gauging the kindness in his eyes before answering softly. "Well, you see, I'm not entirely sure what creature... or being... I'm looking for. I have a few vague characteristics to work from... based on the accounts I've collected. But beyond that, I'm working in the dark. This book seemed to think that it could help... but while this page seems to bear some small resemblance, it's not exactly right. Which is why... I suspect... the information on this missing page could point me in the right direction. My hope is that... if I knew what was on this page... then I could find an actually useful resource with real information." 

Nodding, the little man slid the book back to Beau, "Well, my lady, I'm afraid I can't be much help on that specifically. However, if you'll notice from the rest of the book, no-maj understandings of magic are highly dualistic. In their world view... this volume, especially... everything is either light or dark, good or evil. They have no concept of magic as a unified force. So, resultingly, their understanding of magical creatures is the same." He tapped the page on witches lightly, "You see... in the Slavic no-maj mythologies, benevolent and malevolent creatures of the same race are categorized separately. It's not just witches. "Good" witches... as they see it... are separate being entirely from "bad" witches." 

"So," he chirped, sliding his finger to the next page, "One can reasonably assume that if whatever this 'Samojuda' is... if it truly exists... is the "bad" type... then there ought to be a "good" type. And that is what would be on this page here." 

Nodding excitedly, Beau closed the book and tucked it under her arm; shaking the man's hand as she passed him a folded bill. "So I'll be looking for a good juda," she beamed, "Thank you. Thank you very much." The man smiled at his palm and nodded, "For whatever it is worth, 'Juda' appears to be the Glagolitic appellation for 'bad'. So... whatever creature you're looking for... the race will be called something other than 'Juda.'" 

Hanging her head, Beau nodded, "Thank you, Mr. Boverkin. I truly appreciate your help. Forgive me for interrupting your evening." Smiling he removed his glasses and nodded, "But of course, Beau. It is rare that one such as myself gets to enjoy the company and undivided attention of a Veela. The opportunity to experience your presence first hand is a rare and unique opportunity. Well worth the time and exchange of information." Smiling wide, he raised his glass, "Enjoy your evening." 

With a small dip of a curtsey, Beau ignored what she assumed to be a derogatory comment on her femininity and walked with 'Knowble' back to the table where Thomas and Kazzik were still conversing in hushed, pressured whispers.

Sliding back into the booth, Beau waited for an opportune break in their heated conversation before relaying what she'd learned. It wasn't much to go on... but it was more than they'd started with. And that was something. But the man's parting comment still bothered her. How could someone so seemingly warm and kind end the conversation like that?

Leaning in with a soft whisper, Beau asked quietly, "I swear. Even the nicest men will say the ugliest things. You think they're wholesome and genuinely helpful nice guys... and then they go and call you something rude! And not even have the decency to say it in plain English. Tommy, why does everyone always assume I'm a floozy?

Report Post Tip

"God dammit Kaazik! Listen, I appreciate your concern, but if your little 'boys' can't keep their eyes on their job instead of my company? Well then you should talk with them instead of suggesting I stuff her in the back room 'til they leave. You might own the bar, but lets not forget who owns you, hi? Or should I let everyone know?"

Kazzik cursed under his breath at Thomas as Beau slid back into her seat... He gave Thomas one more glare. "Can't say I didn't warn ya, cat."

"Yeah, well... concern noted. But Kazzik?" Thomas leaned close and put his hand on the Goblin's shoulder, squeezing so hard that Beau could see the creatures face grimace in pain. "Keep your house in order, or I will. Understood, 'friend'?" The sarcasm was thick as molasses on his words. Beau could easily tell they were no more friends than Thomas and the Seattle Municipal Court...

He released Kazzik as the Goblin jerked away, immediately back to counting his money as he walked away. Thomas turned to Beau and put his arm around her as she leaned forward and relayed her own information.

"Called you a rude name, huh?" Thomas shot a wicked side glance over at Mr. Boverkin before slowly panning back. "And just what did the old coot say?"

"He called me a Veela."

Thomas blinked as he sat back, staring at her...

"A what?"

"A Veela ."

Thomas continued blinking, but smiled a little.

"Well, I can tell you it wasn't an insult... Dammit Beau! I know that word, shit-fuck... What is it?" He pressed his hands into his face, rubbing vigorously as he did so.

"Veela, Veela, Veela... What is a ... A VEELA!"

He jumped up and looked at Beau with this goofy twisted look on his face. "IT'S YOU!" he exclaimed happily.

Beau looked at him a little awkwardly at first but Thomas just chuckled. "What did he call you?"

"A Veela?" she repeated incredulously. He was talking in circles. It had happened. He'd lost his mind in the search for what she was, and now he was exhibiting short term memory loss even... The poor boy, he'd simply gone mad with frustration.

"Yes, he called you a Veela... You assume it meant floozy, or some other derogatory name I suppose... I know for a fact it isn't derogatory. I know I've heard, and I know I've heard it because a Veela is a -creature-, Beau! Well, or a race more like it, I think... Though I can't remember anything for certain. However, we might know what you are now; at least by name! And that means we can go and get all the information we need and see if Mr. Boverkin is right on the money or not! C'mon Beau! Let's go!"

Thomas hopped up and threw down money on the table and headed toward the door; he bounced like a child filled with unbridled joy as he waited for her to catch up.

"I have plenty of books back home that might help now that we have a name!"

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: When in doubt, go to the library
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL