Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 13:09:52
Page:  1 
This is the Mafia, Right? Started by: Desiderio on Aug 18, '19 21:39

Desiderio readjusted his hat for the thirteenth time since stepping into the streets. Earlier, while walking around admiring all the various stories being told, his brow had begun to form a permanent crease. Desiderio had always had a soft spot for storytellers. Even as a child, he'd often loved to hear the stories of those around him willing to entertain. Later in his life, storytelling became a way of connecting with his peers. There was something different about the stories being told these days. 

"Cazzo, I got something to say." The Sicilian propped up the nearest soapbox and dusted it off before continuing in a deep baritone. One foot followed the other as he elevated above the passers-by trying to draw in whoever cared to listen.

"There is always a lot of call for debates in these streets.  I think stories have an important place, as well. 

Stories are a powerful thing. They capture our minds and sometimes inspire us to do better ourselves. Stories that are even relevant to this thing of ours can do such things, but it seems the trend lately is mobsters coming into the streets to tell stories that have nothing to do with our world. What real mafioso among us doesn't want to hear a good tale about how a gangster makes something of themselves- about how someone is making moves to raise their standing among us? Those are the sort of stories that inspire us to go out there and become the best at what we do. However, there is a problem arising. 

Should those out there be able to choose that these streets are just a dumping ground for any sort of story that they choose? Should people be allowed to gain the benefits of time spent in these streets, and we all know how beneficial that is if they aren't even telling about their exploits as mobsters? I get that a lot of these people are actually connected themselves. One might even argue that these stories somehow have affected their lives in this thing of ours.

To that, I would also ask what stories about other people that aren't even them are doing told from their lips? Are we not more interested in stories of the mafioso among us? I myself would rather hear about the mafioso actually around these shores."

Desiderio went to continue, but something told him this was where he should let someone else step in. He was anxious to hear what others thought of the matter. 

Report Post Tips: 16 / Total: $800,000 Tip
Gunnar listened as Desiderio gave his thoughts on the stories told in the streets before he decided to chime in with his two cents
"Lad, is it not possible that a gangster may enjoy a yarn about a sailor, just as a sailor may enjoy one told of a gangster? In this day and age, so many stories from our view of the world have been told that it's become more of a struggle to avoid being monotonous than anything else. We've all heard the rags to riches stories, we've all heard the stories of vengeance and violence. So, in my humble opinion...its refreshing to have me morning coffee and enjoy a tale about a brave sailor and the trials he faces. This is only a reference for anybody listening in, by the way"
Gunnar sipped his coffee before continuing further. "And as for these story tellers spinning yarns of anothers exploits, there's only so much one man is able to do in a single lifetime, is there not? Fiction, in me own two eyes, is just as valid as an autobiography"

He waited, hoping to hear some more input on the subject
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

People post all sorts of nonsense just to boost their vision/maintain thier Durden status. Standards here went way down when VIP status was introduced. It won't change until VIP changes. 

Agimat stood behind Desiderio while he spoke to the men and women of the underworld. Agimat loved the streets. He listened to people he didn't know while getting to know them through their stories. He also got excited when heated debates happen, though it was rare these past few days. Agimat was not born here in the States. So the English words and phrases he knew, he learned from the streets. 

"For me Boss, I like listening to any stories but it doesn't mean I find them interesting. And just like you Boss, I'd rather listen to someone telling us personal stories, war stories even more about old gangs shooting and murdering each other, or a successful hit or robbery  and not just about someone being shot and thinks it was interesting." Agimat paused for a few to catch his breath then continued.

"What I find disturbing is that the people I see out here giving speeches or telling stories are old and frequent faces. I was wondering why the rest won't come out here and grace us with their voices and stories? I'm sure they have something more interesting to tell. I guess I'm calling out the rest of the population to speak out and share something out here. " With that, Agimat went behind Desiderio and leaned on the wall as he fished out a rolled cigarette from his front pocket.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $140,000 Tip

Desiderio looked around after listening to the other mafioso. Then he checked behind him to make sure @Agrimat didn't fall to the same fate as the others that had stepped up to speak. Seeing that a wise guy from Las Vegas decided that she need to start this exact same discussion a street over, Desiderio grabbed a few more soapboxes and stacked them up higher.

" Harlow !" Desiderio yelled out from one street corner to the next to turn some heads back his way. They'd listen or they wouldn't, he wasn't about to step over and help someone in a dope fiend craze for heavenly rewards. 

"I find it strange that you would step out into these Streets to discuss the same thing that another mafioso had recently brought forward from the other side. Is it not the point of this place for us to interact? I get that your opinion on this matter may be of the opposite side, but does that mean that you have to grab a different soapbox? On a different corner? 

I can see only two reasons to do such a thing.

One. You got lost in the sea of business district level activities that flood these streets and couldn't even see me over here talking about the exact same matter.

of

Two. You would reap much better rewards if you were to say start your own discussion on the same topic from the opposite view so that everyone is standing on a street corner that favors your pockets.

If there is another reason that I've somehow overlooked. 

Please, enlighten me."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $270,000 Tip

Charlie stepped out into this....oh so brilliant call for another discussion, maybe AvardT should have come here. It was wonderful but he decided to finally come into the streets and engage in a discussion, whether it be on this corner or another. 

"Well, Mister Desiderio or whatever you wish to be called. Have the same old conversations not been re-hashed before? People have done it for ages fellow mafioso, it's not Harlow that is calling out for attention due to the business district dealings, I believe that would be you, I have not found you out here engaged in such business with other members of our chosen society, sir."

Charlie sighed, pulling out a cigarette and setting it alight as he took a puff, exhaling soon afterward. 

"Now, is there any reason for the attack here? We're all people who want to live our daily lives and at the end of the day, enjoy the pay that we've gotten."

He smiled, stepping forward, looking around at the others, many gathered members of the society. 

"Storytellers, we all wish to do what we want and not feel like we are being pushed down into the ground due to certain reactions. Still, it's the deal we've been given. We tell our stories and people will see them, they will read them and we see that reaction, we can choose to allow it to put us down or we can continue what we do best, that is getting the story we want out there for personal enjoyment or peace of mind."

The Cap Spammer as he was called chuckled to himself, looking straight towards Desiderio with his smile still in place. 

"Now, I've given something to this conversation. I would hope that we all can get along and not allow personal problems to get in the way, after all, it's just business, not personal, Sir."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $1,020,000 Tip

Desiderio stepped back and let the wise guy from Philadelphia say his peace. He was happy to hear from the other side. There were a few things said that confused him. So he stepped back up after the question from Signore Pavanno. 

"Desiderio. Yes, most people call me by my name. I do agree that the same discussions are rehashed time and time again. However, I don't believe it's typical for someone to start them while the other is still fresh here in the streets. I asked Signora Harlow a couple of questions. Is this a personal attack? I understand if she doesn't want to come out here and answer them. We are all free to do as we please in that regard. 

That seems to be the trend. Absolute freedom in these streets. I think therein lies the main problem. I would never want to push down anyone doing what they love. If someone is a storyteller at heart then they should be telling stories. That doesn't mean that they should be allowed to do it wherever and in whatever manner they please. You see these streets of ours are supposed to have standards, but the only ones that can set those are the ones leading these seven great cities.

Perhaps a better discussion would be one that brought forth the leaders from around the country to weigh in their opinions?"

Desiderio's face showed the perplexion as he tried to answer the last bit tossed his way by Charlie__Pavanno

"Personal problems? Signore, I don't know any of you from Adam. This is the first time I've seen you, so if you feel there is some personal slight here by my opinions and questions, I feel you may need your head checked."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $70,000 Tip

"Well some would call me crazy but I call myself eccentric in that right and with that thought, I know that my head is quite fine, sir. A Personal attack? Maybe that is just from my perspective, it just seems like Harlow's way of approaching this little 'crusade' of writers got some attention. Maybe you should go look at that corner, talk to those who have some similar thoughts to you and your opinion."

Charlie smiled, maybe he had some ways of doing things. He stepped around, leaning up against a wall and noticing an associate of the man who had gained his attention. He smiled, bowing his head slightly, allowing a chuckle to escape him.

"True, I don't know you from Adam and you don't know Harlow! So maybe you should have approached Harlow a bit differently? You come off in a slightly passive-aggressive way, sir. Then again, it just might be from my perspective. I'm just saying, if you wished to know why Harlow did this, you might have just, you know, contact her privately instead of bringing it out here. Maybe you can find some things in common in regards to storytellers, you never know! We are all on the same team after all, right?"

Stepping forward with confidence, a smile tugged at his lips, watching the man before him and he nodded with some of the things he said. Certain things could be improved if the seven leaders could have banded and provided a platform for people who wished for this type of thing, Charlie did find that he found himself enjoying this little conversation, no matter how it began. 

"True Desiderio. Things and certain standards can be improved on but as I stated before, this storytelling is a double-edged sword and I am sure that one man said something in regards to this and I can't really recall the quite at the current time. All I know is that certain opinions like the ones in the last few weeks are what we deal with right now, maybe it'll stop, who knows? We just deal with it. Like we writers always do."

The Cap Spammer chuckled. 

"Well then....if there was a personal slight, I'm sure that considering we don't know one another, it would easily be brushed aside and we can focus on the other things that would better suit our time."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $1,020,000 Tip

Desiderio pulled out a cigar as the young wise guy stepped forward with a grin. The Don chuckled as he stoked to life the oversized stoagie. 

"Signore Pavanno," he mused as he idly puffed a few small clouds into existence. 

"You have a lot to say about what I should and shouldn't do. While you may be affiliated with Luis_Patangeli 's most respected company in Philly, are you one to tell a Don that they shouldn't come out into these streets to address another with discourse? Speaking to someone directly is not a personal attack. Maybe you think my tactics were a bit off in how I brought it to her attention, but my point was made well enough. 

We aren't here to slap each other on the back at all times and tell each other how good we are doing. Standards rise, inflate, distort, fall, and repeat. I think the opinions you are feeling are what one would refer to as a snap back reaction. There are very few things in this world that don't work much like a rubber band. You push far enough in one direction and there are only two outcomes. Everything flies back in the opposite direction or the band breaks."

@Charlie_Pavanno 's offer to brush things aside caused Desiderio to shrug his shoulders. He was confused about why the mafioso kept referring to himself as a writer and not a mafioso. This wasn't the first thing that seemed so out of place to him, but the confused Sicilian pushed forward.

"I don't know what we are brushing aside but consider yourself brushed. You have an opinion, and I do, as well. Should we be angry about it? This is a place to let your thoughts out. I'm not angry at those who tell story after story out here.

I for one just don't support those out there telling stories about things that have nothing to do with their life as a mafioso, or worse, are about someone who isn't even a mafioso on these shores. Why do I not support this? Because doing things that have nothing to do with this thing of ours is benefitting them in a number of ways."

Avard was surprised to hear his name shouted by Charlie__Pavanno at a discussion he was already privy to. He listened further before sighing and feeling obligated to weigh in.

Charlie, I was already aware of this and I had already spoken to the good Don about it long before you started hollering my name. Thanks for doing that though and...wait. Someone tipped you $1,020,000 for doing that? Wow. I wish I had fans like that...hold on..," Avard frowns. "They seem to tip every post you make for $1,020,000? That's bizarre. Hey look, Harlow's just went up by the same amount - funny that. Wonder what is happening there?"

Avard shrugs. "Anyway, your blatant popularity and obvious lack of exploitation of the tips aside, I feel Desiderio has a number of solid points which I find myself strongly in agreement with. I made sure my accountant supplied a tip to him for this very speech and, as far as my own thoughts on the topic, I actually made that plain some time ago when I called on the Dons of our world to police this."

"I also think Desiderio has every right to question why someone is making the exact same discussion he has just made. If I ripped off something you just said, would you not feel the need to find out why I thought doing that was ok? I know I would and, whilst we are on it, I'm certain that nothing said so far constitutes a personal attack, but even if it did, so fucking what? This is the mafia, right? Being a "storyteller" or a "writer" does not make you immune from scrutiny or criticism, nor are they protected characteristics."

Report Post Tips: 7 / Total: $2,020,000 Tip

"I can see only two reasons to do such a thing.

One. You got lost in the sea of business district level activities that flood these streets and couldn't even see me over here talking about the exact same matter.

of

Two. You would reap much better rewards if you were to say start your own discussion on the same topic from the opposite view so that everyone is standing on a street corner that favors your pockets.

If there is another reason that I've somehow overlooked. 

Please, enlighten me."

"The truth is that I didn't recall seeing this discussion on my recent visits to the streets.  I was a bit down in the dumps this morning when I took to my soapbox and was so consumed with my own woes that I hadn't thought to look around for other discussions on the same/similar topic because - well, what were the odds?"

She sighed.  "In hindsight, I could have spared myself a lot of headache by simply putting my two cents here rather than risking the derision of my peers by starting my own discussion.  So, I wish had thought to look around.  It would have been supportive to you as well as spared me some aggravation."

She shook her head at her own foolishness.

"Lesson learned, eh?  Please accept my apologies, Don Desidero, for inadvertently stealing attention from your attempts at starting a discussion.  Also, please enjoy my contribution to your endeavors on our shores which will follow shortly."

She paused, taking a moment to reflect on the initial statements that Desidero made at the start of this discussion.

"I will gladly contribute some actual thoughts to this discussion in just a short while.  I will say that it's actually quite possible we didn't talk about 'exactly' the same topic.  I was addressing a shift in the respect given to Storytellers while I think (and correct me if I am wrong) that your initial statements seemed to be about whether or not the streets was a place for stories about something other than mobsters & (in particular) the mobsters currently on these shores?  If that's the case we were both talking about storytelling and those who weave tales - but perhaps they aren't quite the same discussion?"

"Avard Fuckin' T. Well then friend, I never said that the Mafiosi who come out here and give a glimpse into their daily lives should be protected. To be fair Avard, maybe I would feel a bit annoyed if it was an exact copy of what I said, word for word. Only this one seems different, I said it before and I'm saying it now, Desiderio was stating if the streets were simply a dumping ground nowadays, Harlow was talking about the view and respect on the current generation of Mafiosi who, I'm saying this once again, give a glimpse into their daily lives."

Charlie stepped back and leaned against a wall, noticing Harlow and nodded in her direction with a smile.

"This is most definitely the chosen society, mafia, whatever you refer to it as. Yes, I remember when you called on the Dons to police this and I've known that many talks with those at City Hall have gone. I've even had private talks with you stating that perhaps that there should be a place for such discussion or there should be a place for those who wish to give a glimpse into their lives. Certain people have made that suggestion, it was left like that, maybe we bring that up once more!"

Charlie grinned, looking towards AvardT, his eyebrow-raising towards the man who had been his favorite so far in grabbing the proverbial soapbox that had been stolen by so many people lately. 

"I'm popular? Really? Considering my reputation as a little wiseguy and how it seems to be repeating in my head like a drum, I must have forgotten."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

I say get a fucking room

Now go figure that out 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

I say get a fucking room

Now go figure that out 

A prime example of not taking the world too seriously.  

Look I'm 100% in your corner about thinking folks on these streets shouldn't walk around looking like, acting like, speaking like everything from inanimate objects to comic book heroes (no offense to inanimate objects and comic book heroes past/present/future that outrank me is intended here!) but that's not the world we live in.

City Hall makes the rules and they allow people to become godfather whether they were born a Dog, a Vampire, a Vaccum Cleaner, a Bottle of Ketsup, an Oak Tree, a Doctor from 1996, a Time Traveling Doctor, a Hobbit, ... you get my point.

And honestly, being what you want to be is one of the things people love here and it isn't just a way to liter the streets.  Was the actions of the gangster known as Sherlock upsetting.. damn right it was.  And that's why he paid the price.  And I'm sure people are watching closer now for that sort of behavior after that incident.  But let's be honest... it's far from the usual.

Plenty of people are in the streets giving us a window into their daily lives and while it might not be of interest to me to enjoy those stories... here's something non-storytellers don't seem to get:  We don't tell stories to entertain an audience.  We tell stories to entertain ourselves.

Here's a page from my earliest ancestor's journal.  And here's another page from another ancestor's journal.  And yet another ancestor's unfinished journal.

And you'll notice there are so many wonderful people interacting with them over time.  They didn't exist in a vaccum, they opened the doors to their lives and invited family, friends, enemies even to join them.  The stories might sometimes seem unimportant but how do you measure the heights of success and great tragedies without knowing how a man behaves on a normal day?  We measure the extremes in life by what the status quo is and many of the stories in those journals might not feel exciting to you... but they revealed who each person was at their core a small bit at a time.

A bit of why I love those stories is because the things in them were unknown until the exact minute they were revealed.  Even now there are things I don't know about myself and won't know about myself until I'm in the moment and the 'words are put to paper' so to speak and seeing the story of my life revealed is magical to me.  Maybe you don't find that interesting... that's okay.  I'm not hurt by that.  I'm really truly not... I tell stories for me and future generations of daughters of mine to look back through and reflect.  In that way, the stories never really end... my story is the story of Lucy's family, Frankie's family, Isabella's family, Aurora's Family, Tamsyn's family... because in some small way they all are part of who I am here on these shores.

Again, not sure if you understand that... but maybe some of you will.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Desiderio's cigar threatened to bore him. It was apparent in the way he'd stopped taking those idle puffs. Instead, he listened as the well-known critic Consigliere Avard walked over to put in his thoughts on the matter and the reference to his speech before. He'd known the man and his views on the topic well before he stepped up to this particular discussion. 

"Well-"

Desiderio stopped as Harlow stepped forward. His cigar regained its pull on him as he began to puff away once more and listen.

"Honest mistake then?" He said as he tossed the stoagie end over end towards the gutter causing a small orange cherry explosion. "I had just assumed someone who frequents the first avenue during their days here would have noticed. I'd seen you walking by telling your story about Toy Soldiers with Signore Posner just on the next corner so I assumed you'd overheard my statements. My mistake. I understand how things get lost and looked over day to day in a place as busy as this. I'd like to thank you for coming out here and answering my question about the issue, and also for putting in your thoughts on this very matter."

Desiderio looked over at his accountant who stumbles up to the corner panting hard. He notified him of a donation from Signore Harlow. Sweat drips from the poor fuck's face having to run here so fast and let the Don know. 

"I appreciate the gesture."

The man waves the accountant off as he continues.

"I still feel like it's just another side to the same problem told once more. I see why you think your discussion is a bit different, but the very essence of what I'm talking about here is respect. Respect for these streets is what garners respect for the ones who have a story to tell. The shift you are feeling, I believe, is because of the various issues people see with what those storytellers are doing. Their actions are not seen as respecting the streets of this thing of ours.

I think it's not a secret to any of us just how much respect is a two-way street. There aren't many situations where one can walk in, make it into what they want the situation to be, and not have quite a few people wondering why it was their decision. Actions of this kind cause push back. The streets have slowly turned into something completely different due to less and less putting forth the effort to ask hard questions or challenge those who haven't been upholding values to this place, even ones set down at city hall.

Are we helping anyone if we are too afraid to speak up? Should these feel like attacks to those that are being questioned by their actions? I believe the only way they would be attacks is if the statements held true that were said about them. At the end of the day, what has really driven the pen to paper to write these stories? What was the true motivation? I know for many it is the love of the story, but I also know that greed is a powerful demon that likes to slip in and change perspectives on what is right and wrong.

My main point may be a bit misunderstood here. I don't want people to stop exploring their lives and telling about their exploits. I think it's the exploits told of many people that aren't even alive on these shores that shouldn't be told here day after day. I think when someone is literally in a business doing small day to day things we have a place for that already that isn't these streets. Why should a mafioso be gifted with the benefits of knowing a few faces just for frequenting the streets if it was just to monologue with themselves or tell about someone else's life? These are issues that should be addressed. 

You'll never hear me telling anyone they are wrong for interacting and enjoying themselves. I think this is more an issue of how they've gone about it." 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $1,650,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: This is the Mafia, Right?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL