Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 15:56:21
Page:  1 
The safe bet Started by: Sledge-Hammer on Feb 11, '08 17:48
One thing that never ceases to amuse me is the importance placed not upon what is being said, but rather on who is saying it. In a lot of respects this is fair enough. In a business of relationships with success dependant upon survival, it pays not to piss off certain people.

But while I can understand that, I can't understand the flagrant nepotism that invariably ingrains itself in the minds of the public to the point where they will happily attach a certain name with a certain category and by jove, stick with that name come hell or high water.

One such example? Well the recent spate of "awards" ceremonies that have come to dominate discussion to a degree. Okay so these ceremonies by the very nature of their existence are controversial. Some people HATE them. Let me sidestap that particular debate to stick with the topic at hand.

Why is it that communities often operate with a collective consciousness on certain issues? The more seasoned among us will recognise that such a thing is there to manipulate and exploit. Which it is. But my problem with it...Is why is it so damn obvious?

Take the recent awards, the MMARG or whatever they are called. Is it just me or are half the winners in their respective categories questionable to say the least? I'll go out on a limb. I'll say at least five of the winners in their categories don't represent what I consider to be the characteristics necessary to merit consideration for being nominated, much less winning. At least three have crucial flaws demonstrated in their careers that should in fact, prohibit them from winning entirely.

I liken these awards ceremonies as something akin to the Oscars. It doesn't matter who wins, the only thing you can be sure of is that it was rigged. Can it be that image has taken the place of substance in the minds of Joe Public?
Report Post Tip
Was there ever a time when image didn't take the place of substance to the public? Individuals latch on to one another and form collective consensuses because it is just easier, and for the most part people are sheep and will think how they are told to think
Report Post Tip
This is true Jack, but not true for everyone. Sometimes I like to see people making rational decisions based on logical facts, rather than going to the face that fits all the time. At least when they are doing the former and not the latter, you know they are capable of it...
Report Post Tip
The people you speak of will always exist as the minority and will often go unheard
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The safe bet
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL