Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:08:33
Page:  1 
Think You Know Me? LISTEN. Then Judge. Started by: CommissarZverev on Nov 26, '19 11:31
*The Commissar steps out of a car and onto a podium, and starts to speak...*

"Careful what you wish for, that's what they say, isn't it?  Well, for many, attaining a bold suit or a supporting position in this life is an ambition.  And I accept it as the honour that it is.  But it is not without compromise, not without challenge.  

You see my friends, I stand before you now knowing that many guns are pointed at me.  And that gives pause for reflection.  Where I once enjoyed my notoriety, now I wish it would, well, I wish it would be replaced by a begrudging respect.  Or, if not respect, then perhaps acceptance.  Acceptance that this society we inhabit is all things to all people.  Have I offended?  I surely have, yes.  Have I angered powerful men and women?  Indeed,  I must put my hands up to that.  I have been taken to task on a number of occasions for transgressions, and I have paid, in rank and in treasure, for those transgressions.  And I don't complain.

But know this, my friends, and know it well.  I have suffered.  I have known the indignities of a beating from a lesser ranked person.  I have had to apologise for things that I didn't feel were particularly wrong.  I've had sit-downs go against me, and had to pay for the privilege of being insulted and threatened.  And I bear no ill will.  In fact, I see it as Karma.  I set myself a challenge when I came up in this world, and that challenge was as simple as it was, as I can now see, desperately fraught.  I wanted to transform these Streets from a place of quiet into a place of noise.  A busy set of Streets, alive with voices, not all of which would be pleasant.  Through hard work, and good fortune, I amassed a considerable fortune.  So I ran contests.  I could have planned them better.  I should have.  Money makes this world go round, and I didn't foresee that the competitive writing community would be so, well, competitive.  I am embarrassed at how some of these contests degenerated into hostile and bad tempered jousts.  So I will change them moving forward.  Of that you can be certain.  Along this journey of mine, I have gathered critics.  Some very vocal.  Others, deathly mute.  I respect them each and every one.  And I welcome what they have to say.  I have tried to learn from them, as they have learned from me, and it is this relationship that I ask them to reflect upon as we travel in this life together.  

In this life, we win some, and we lose some.  And in the end, all we are left with is our legacy.  This is true in this life of ours more than in other spheres.  Sol it is with humility, ambition, penance and openness that I stand before you here, now, and ask something of you.  Not for forgiveness, for that would be crass.  I know not how I have affected you directly.  But I ask that you judge me as you would anyone else who has just gotten a chance to play a leading part in a district.  For my part, bygones are bygones.  My door is open to anyone who wishes to talk.    Where I once bragged and boasted, now I talk with grace and candour.  Where I once insulted and derided, now I stand in front of you waiting to be broadsided.  While I once danced and skipped with words, here I laugh at myself: I'm absurd.  Friends, what it all comes down to is this:  let's try and stay alive and laugh and dance as we go.  For it is but a short life, and we should embrace it in all its diversity.  
Report Post Tips: 11 / Total: $620,000 Tip
I feel few have actually listened to me.

But many have judged.

Let the judged be the judges. Not literally, not for the contests.
Report Post Tip

I'm astonished that you actually expected people to heed your words, in all honesty.

The sad fact of the matter is this; your bloodline has never ever shown any willingness to treat anyone else afresh. Ever. Every generation that has appeared has always used old grudges as some badge of honour and repeatedly harassed those that your blood has previously had issues with.

Coupled with this, every single generation has followed the same path. Lie, deflect, die. Start rumours, make up stories, lie about everything and blame someone else and eventually die when things got too much for them.

I think I reached out at some point to congratulate you on being the first of your bloodline to steer clear of such a path and praised you for finally showing the true ability that many have always expected your bloodline to have. Sadly, before long you fell down the same old path and returned to form.

Created contests that you seemingly cheated on, lie about such actions and ignore the complainers then expect people to simply disregard/forget these incidents. Then take umbrage with anyone that calls you out on it and act like some poor innocent little soul that hasn't done any wrong.

Despite all this, I still feel that what you can achieve could be wonderful. If the theatrics and petulance and constant desire to court controversy was put to one side, there is the ability in there to be someone that could indeed become not only an integral and valuable member of the community, but one that would also be respected by its peers. As it stands, I don't know a single person that would regard your lineage with any real respect as its always been the butt of the joke due to the hysterical theatrics involved - from my own perspective and going by the notes of my own lineage, that always appeared to be intentional on your bloodlines part - which was what frustrated most. The ability has always been evident, but the desire to achieve not so much, instead your lineage has always chosen the role of class clown to be more appealing than the hard work to build something good.

That said.. the speech you have given on this subject has me almost hopeful that you are going to stop with the aforementioned courting of controversy and instead look to move forward and aim to help build something of worth in your new location of Detroit, given who you have there with you this would certainly be a good choice as there are some very fine members of this thing of ours that should allow you and them to build a very strong and respectful city.

But please, put aside past differences like you implore others to do. Cease with the desire to be a focal point and instead work in the shadows if you can, not simply to remain out of sight, but to allow you to focus on more than simply being a mouthpiece for others, because if you do then I really think there is a lot that you can do not just for yourself, but for Detroit too. 

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope that my honest words are taken in the manner they are meant to be. 

Report Post Tips: 8 / Total: $3,150,000 Tip
Thank you, Zangief. I appreciate your kind word, and accept the need for the harsher ones.

In truth, we all carry to this life our bloodline's baggage. I'm no different.

I'm fortunate to find myself in DT, and in a position to prove many people wrong. Maybe even myself.
Report Post Tip

Oh god, you are so up yourself CommissarZverev, You are just an embarrassment now. I agree 100% with what Zangief says. 

Grow up. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
Ringaroo, you say "You are just an embarrassment now"

When do you feel I wasn't?
Report Post Tip
Zangieff, if I may, and I do this respectfully, I must challenge you on your assertion that I cheated during the contests that I managed.  The fact is that the contests have cost me dearly.  Many, many tens of millions.  The prize money, payments to judges, paying people not to judge having previously offered them judging positions.  The money flowed and flowed.  Huge sums of money.

I don't think anyone seriously accuses me of having gained from running the contests?  I have lost.  I was demoted.  I was almost killed.  I lost a close friend, and some of my Bodyguards were shot.  And I had numerous hits placed on me.

The contests were not rigged to favour me.  That's very easily provable.  Qui Bono, as they say.

Now I don't want to appear to angry at your, Zangieff, because you were measured, polite, interesting and engaging with me, but you are perpetuating a debunked myth by continuing to say that I cheated.  I can show you records, payments, have you interview judges.  Some mistakes were made, yes, indeed they were.  But I cheated nobody.
Report Post Tip

When it was revealed that you would be the "peoples rep" for the iron bank. You would think that Mikhail would give it to someone with a positive stature. But turns out..... 

Report Post Tip

More than welcome to challenge the aspersions cast your way, CommissarZverev, certainly no issue on my end for you doing so.

You may note that when I made my comment, I did add that you seemingly cheated. I haven't investigated any of the such claims, I have saw evidence thrown around that could have been taken out of context, but to my knowledge you haven't ever seriously engaged with those accusers to challenge the validity of any such claims.

Again, I could be wrong. You could have very well challenged the claims privately, I can only judge from the public persona put before us on these here streets for all to see.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
CoconutRandy investigated the claims, my friend.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
The biggest shame of your bloodline is that it’s a perfectly good waste of a pretty good speaker.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Neil arrives looking a little nervous and dishevelled. He'd been working for 48hrs straight and smelled like VIPCreditsGrin's corpse which was still chained to its desk in the basement of the Chronicle's offices. 

CommissarZverev, it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, and I guess I owe you an apology. In the course of my investigations into other matters for a client, I have had to look into your competitions, and the accusations of corruption levelled at you by myself, and members of the Media such as CoconutRandy. Randy of course gets a by ball in all this as he only goes where the news leads him, I on the other hand may have been unduly harsh on my assessment of you and your philanthropy. I now know that you were not behind any fraud perpetrated during your competitions and I humbly seek your forgiveness. I tried really hard to find an olive branch to offer you as a token of my sincerity and wish of reconciliation, but I was unable to find one, apparently Grape vines are more common than Olive bushes in Nevada, so please accept this jar of gherkin stuffed olives as a token of my honest, and heartfelt sorrow at accusing you in the wrong.

Report Post Tip

I listened, I think you already judged yourself thats why you are here. Mistakes are why pencils have erasers. We dont have that option so we keep going remembering not to repeat them. I have to say I looked at anything pertaining to the contests that I could. Each winner was top notch and while competition was close i never disagreed with who was chosen. To put it another way if some babbling drivel won THEN id be suspicious. 
Well my gun isnt pointed at you, I was taught only to point it at something you intend to kill

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Think You Know Me? LISTEN. Then Judge.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL