Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 17:40:16
Page:  1 
The Role of a Newspaper Started by: Carr_Finnegan on Feb 15, '08 11:22
A man walks into the streets with a copy of The Informerheld high in one hand a copy of The Tribune in the other. He takes a step onto a crate--carefully ensuring it'd first hold his weight--and then began to shout for all to hear.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

He waited and, sure enough, people started to gather around the apparently crazed fellow. Nodding, he took a step down from the crate and sat on it instead, dropping the newspapers to one side.

Look, I don't mean to suggest that you are all to blame for this, but there's something that has rubbed me the wrong way since I first came to these shores. I realise that I am the first in my bloodline to become a member of organised crime, but I truly feel that I have a firm enough grasp of it to make this observation.

One of the men gathered around him had a box full of doughnuts, and Finnegan helped himself to one. Before the man could refuse, he had already taken a large bite out of the pastry. He continued to speak, gesturing now with his stolen breakfast.

See, the Mafia has several principles that we live by--Omerta, Sangue, Famiglia, and Onore. You all know this I'm certain. I'm not here to lecture, as I've no place to do so. What I don't understand, though, is why--in a society that prides itself on keeping secrets secret--do we even have a newspaper?

I understand the desire to be informed, but think about it: The events of criminal organisations should not be made public for others to read. Yes, I am aware that these newspapers solely circulate amongst us associates, but what about The Tribune? Its editor is not a member of any known family, and how much sense does it make for a boss to succumb to an interview from a civilian?

These newspapers shouldn't provide a deep insight into the crime families of this world, but report what can been seen from the outside observer lest the news fall into the hands of a rival family or the police. Any reporters that try to investigate too deeply should be killed for their persistence into matters that don't concern them. If I were a crime boss, I'd want the media as far from me as possible.

Besides, if this continues as it has been (for what I'm assuming is always), it takes away the joy of opening up the paper at breakfast, reading an article about a crime I helped to commit, and seeing the reporting journalist get the facts entirely wrong. It's gratifying to know that I'm an insider.

He took a deep breath and pushed off of the crate to stand.

That's all I've got to say about it. What do you all think?
Report Post Tip
Paulie sighs to himself, remembering the good old days back in the Sicily before speaking up

"Well, though publishing a newspaper does seem to reveal a little too much infomation, there are always people who want to know this stuff.

"I'm not talking about mafioso, though information is valuable, I'm talking about the millions of citizens that live in the United States. The information is there to be read nationwide, we just happen to make more use out of it"
Report Post Tip
Well, as the editor of The Tribune was forcibly retired yesterday, I would assume that facet of your argument is now a very moot point. Currently there is a search for a new Tribune editor, but in the meantime, The Informer continues to be a publication for the community, by the community.

There is a difference between running to the streets and yelling our your family's structure, telling bad deeds you've witnessed, or outing personal communications between mafioso.... and having a media outlet to inform us of the current events in our society.
Report Post Tip
I understand what you're both saying. I'm somewhat disappointed, though, that you'd argue I no longer have a point simply because there currently isn't an editor to The Tribune, Ms DiRotto. Would it be going too far to assume that the next editor will not be the head of a family but another civilian?

If so, then why should the community look to it as true reporting? Its articles should be taken with a grain of salt. This is especially so if what Mr Ferizzi says is true--that the newspaper has a larger audience than just us criminals. Why should Mafia events be published for all to see? I'd think the details of these would be wanted kept secret.
Report Post Tip
Paul smiles

"Then my friend, you pay off the reporter, or ice him"
Report Post Tip
A tall, well-dressed man walks up to Carr and puts his arm around him

Carr, I couldn't agree with you more. The newspaper system is quite obviously not what we need in our world. Anyone can leave a paper around and tip the police off. No, what we need is not a paper. Hell, they only come out once every blue moon anyway. You know Carr baby,what we need is a new way to get information out to our fellow "business men."

"How can we do that?" you ask. Well Carr, baby, it's simple RADIO. It's the wave of the future! A secret radio frequency only for people in our line of work. No more evidence laying around for the cops to pick up. Crisis averted.! Of course, we are going to need a dashingly handsome, eloquent, committed, charismatic anchor to get this station off the ground. I think I know just the person...
Report Post Tip
Corrupt politicians have often used the media to sway the opinion of the masses, so I see no problem with a publication that gives us a chance to do the same. Plus, not all of our business around here is done with the principles of Omerta being strictly enforced. Many people are running businesses of sorts that are allowed to be given nationwide attention without a mafia boss breathing down their necks.

Radio would also be a nice option.
Report Post Tip
The reporters are on the payroll, the cops that matter are on the payroll, those not connected are too scared to mention it, and we need something to read in the quiet moments. If you've got it, flaunt it.

Turk shrugs, takes a bite of his bagel and wanders off...
Report Post Tip
Approaches Carr and proffers his hand

Your youthful exuberance amuses me Carr my friend. There is too much wrong with people for us to discuss here, we would be here for years.

Your thoughts on the newspaper interest me though, especially with your references to the Omerta. I like to think of the tribune as more of an underground newsletter, you know, something that is not in the possession of those less than desirable people that we do not want in possession of it. In short, I know I would be very unforthcoming in my response to any questions regarding family business in any such interview. Surely an insight into the more personal side of crewleaders is a good thing though?

And with your comments about opening the paper at breakfast and reading about your escapades, well, you can still do that, no one is stopping you. The key is to make sure no one sees you do it.

Tips his hat and wanders off
Report Post Tip
Finnegan took a moment to digest the words of Chicago's boss before jogging to catch up with the man.

Sir, I hope you don't mind me following you; I mean no harm. I simply wished to speak with you further about the newspapers.

He waited a moment until it was clear that it would be alright to proceed.

I think I understand what you're saying about the papers' circulation remaining underground. It is possible that I am less trusting than you and worry far too much about sensitive information being placed in the hands of my rivals (as few in number as they may be), but this still doesn't sit comfortably with me. I realise that in this world, we all--regardless of affiliation--share the same form of media and have to make allowances for that, but I wonder if perhaps the articles within
The Tribune and The Informer ought to be more generalised.

Say the newspapers reported more frequently and to include more generic happenings--that is, a man being mugged in New York or a rising homocide rate in New Orleans--and the knowing gangster could choose to read between the lines to get the report's true meaning. I think this might be a better idea for a newspaper that, as Mr Ferizzi mentioned earlier, is circulated widely.

The Informer, being headed by men and women of organised crime, seems to me to be more geared toward actual criminal happenings while The Tribune makes broader speculations. Could the two papers play off of each other and provide different perspectives?

Realising that he had been rambling to a certainly busy man, Finnegan quit and waited for the response of Mr Tufting or anyone else who had perhaps overheard.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Role of a Newspaper
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL