Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 19:06:10
Page:  1 
Realistic Expectations Started by: DerKommissar on Feb 16, '08 02:32
Ladies...Gentlemen...Deities...Plebs...

I've had something rattling around in my noggin for some time now. I believe there is a problem, an epidemic if you will, that has plagued this world for a very, very long time. The problem? Expectation.

You see, when we all start anew in this world, many of us hope for higher achievements, for some sort of attained glory. To say we don't care about being remembered or rising over others would, mostly, be a lie. Yet, do you, or I, really know the difficulty of attaining such things?

How many of us have seen those around us that expect to be given the reigns of a family once they reach a certain rank? Come now, you know a few. You've seen the Wise Guy that has begun working on his "street presence" by coming forward on topics regarding Honor and Omerta, in hopes of being noticed. You've seen the guy working extra hard to achieve the rank of Capo, thinking that might be enough to get him his crew. You might have even seen the Boss that wasn't given a crew, that has given up and gone rogue. We all know what these people had been/are working for.

The problem is, despite this hard work, you're not entitled to a single thing. I'm not saying, don't work hard, but let's face it, if you believe that hard work alone entitles you to anything, oftentimes, you're going to be disappointed.

My lineage has been in this boat before, I can admit. My ancestors have usually been one of the top earners in their family. Many have had one of the best guns in the family. Almost all of them have been outspoken and active in the streets. Most of my ancestors have always been known to be helpful as well, lending cash, advice, etc. freely. With that being said, my family tree boasts no crewleaders, no Right Hand positions, no hitsquad leader, no subcrew leader, and no other position leader other Head of the University, once.

Now, I don't tell you all that for you to feel sorry for my line. I bring it up because, yes, many in my family tree have put a lot into this world. But, this is what I am talking about. Just because they put in the effort, it didn't entitle them to anything.

To expect something will only lead you disappointment. Not everyone is fit to lead. Not everyone is fit for position, or rank, or success. You aren't entitled to a new crew if your crew is attacked and defeated. Your standards of achievement may, and usually are, different from those of others.

It bothers me to see people EXPECT something because of what they feel is fair/right. Simply put, those in power are the ones that set the bar. They dictate what is acceptable and they are the ones that can reward and take away. They've earned this. So, whether or not, you, or I, believe this to be fair, it is the way it is.

This is what makes our world tick, and therefore, we should adjust accordingly, or choose to lead a different life, a life away from crime, because, no amount of whining or complaining will change this. So why stoop to that? Work hard, be loyal, live honorably, and IF you're seen fit to receive glory for these things, then consider it a bonus...not something you deserved.
Report Post Tip
I was raised to expect great things from myself. It's the way everyone in my family is--I can't help it. But, unlike what I think you are hinting at here, I was not raised to expect things to be handed to me. If you want something, work twice as hard as they other guy, and you will get it. If you don't get it, work four times as hard as the other guy. And so on.

That, to me, is the beauty of the Mafia life, and what keeps families involved for generation after generation. The fact that everyone has an opportunity. Every great Don started off as a Thug not worth shit. My grandfather came over fresh off the boat, knowing nobody, and by the time of his death he ran one of the largest outfits in the country.

I guess the point I'm getting at is this: It's not the expectation that is the problem, it is the entitlement. That, if for some reason you don't get something, it is someone else's fault--hell, anyone else's fault but your own. News flash: it's not. There is always a way--you just haven't found it yet.
Report Post Tip
I still have to disagree a bit with that.

Not everyone can or will attain what they want to in this life. So, while they might expect it (whether to be attained through hard work or other), they will not achieve it.

Now, your example is fine. Indeed, my family, outside this world has been very successful. They've run many organizations and held many positions. However, I'll wager that there was someone that did, in fact, work harder than your ancestor, and they were overlooked. There can be many reasons for this mind you, and my point hasn't been to explore these reasons, to be honest.

My point is the fact that if you are expecting anything in this life, you'll be disappointed. This life isn't fair. This life isn't easy. Hard work doesn't always pay off.

This isn't to completely throw away personal goals. Sure, shoot for the stars, but if you're expecting something...anything, prepare for the letdown. You may not know the right people. You may not be a part of the right clique. You may have too good a gun. You may have worked too hard. It's a part of this life, and if you can't deal with that, then perhaps this isn't for you.
Report Post Tip
DerKommissar,

First off, I would like to say that I am shocked that your line has not held any other position. Your line has been bloody brilliant and deserves more. I suppose I expected more out of you. :)

Second, I completely agree with your opinion. If you expect, you will not receive, but what is this world without expectations? Expectations is what keeps this world going 'round. If one keeps thinking they should be getting something, maybe, just MAYBE, they might work harder to possibly achieve that.

Maybe I am wrong. I possibly am wrong. Maybe it is the exact opposite. Do people work less hard, because they are expecting things? I don't know. Maybe I look at the glass half full.

Another thing, hard work does pay off. If you are active in the streets, a made or higher, a great shot with a million bodyguards at your side, you will, eventually, get your chance. The quality of one's workmanship will decide whether or not that person will achieve his/her goal.

Finally, you are completely wrong with "Shoot for the stars". If you really want to succeed in Mafia, you must "Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you are among the stars". Meaning, if you don't get the goal you wanted, you still have a damn good shot at something else.
Report Post Tip
I think you get my point, YouPieceOfShit.

"If you really want to succeed in Mafia, you must "Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you are among the stars". Meaning, if you don't get the goal you wanted, you still have a damn good shot at something else."

I think that is a good summation to what I am saying actually. Just because you don't achieve the highest level of glory (or what you perceive to be the highest level of glory), doesn't mean you can't make an impact in this life.

The thing I'll disagree with, with your speech, however, is that, no, it's not expectation that should be driving us, but rather hope.

I hope that someday those that have put in the effort might be recognized, no matter their status regarding the clique they're in, the families their bloodline has been akin with, or how others might perceive them. If I am to expect this, however, I have no doubt I will be disappointed for various reasons. Perhaps the person I see as hardworking won't be the person others see as hardworking, and so on. Perhaps a friend I've made outside the family will lose their leader, and while I might believe they aren't a threat and should be given a chance to serve under a new leader, again, this isn't in my hands. Therefore, I believe, it's better to just hope, as expectation only leads to disappointment, disillusionment, and a plethora of other feelings/actions from there.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Realistic Expectations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL