Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 08:31:14
Page:  1 
Too close for comfort. Started by: DickGrayson on Jan 18, '20 13:26

Dick knew it the second that he heard the hammer click. He made a mistake that he normally never would have, he had been sloppy. Between the lack of sleep and all the travel, he had that sinking suspicion that he had burned through the last of his luck.

Fuck. 

His mind was racing a mile a minute but it still somehow felt like he was stuck in the mud. He needed to do something, standing there with his mouth agape wasn’t going to get him out of any trouble. Closing his eyes for a moment, he drew in a slow deep breath, he had to stay calm now or it was only going to get worse. He needed to get his heart rate under control before anything else. 

He let his eyes fall to the room around him, the gunman was hidden somewhere in the shadows off to the side of Dick’s bed. There was only a few feet in between them. If Dick was quick enough he could cover it before the trigger was pulled but if he wasn’t fast enough he was opening himself up and there was only one thing that was going to happen with that. He needed to take the chance though, he was a sitting duck right now and he certainly wasn’t going to go down without at least putting up some sort of fight. 

Dick took one more shallow breath before lunging forward and a bit to his right. His only thought was to get out of the line of fire anything after that would just be aces. He caught the wrist of the gunman, pulling down hard as he somewhat tumbled past him. It was just enough of a movement to send the attacker off balance, sending him stumbling in the opposite direction that Dick’s momentum took him in. 

Planting his left foot against the wall, he pushed off with all of his weight, slamming the stumbling man in the side of the knee with his shoulder, a groan of pain radiating from the man’s lips. Dick pressed his advantage, using his lower half to pin the man to the ground as he began wailing on him with both fists. He could feel the hot liquid on his knuckles as he kept swinging. He felt something crunch but he was exactly sure if it was his hand or the face below him.

Dick wasn’t really sure how long he had been punching but his arms started feeling heavy. The odd gurgling sound underneath him gave him at least a little hint that the man wasn’t going to be getting up soon. Stumbling a bit back, Dick stood over the man for a moment before flipping on the light in his bedroom. 

He didn’t recognize the man lying before him. There wasn’t much left to his face at this point, it looked a bit like ground meat from Dick’s relentless attack. There was a growing red spot on the carpet and Dick grabbed for an old shirt of his, wiping the blood from his hands before tossing it onto the floor. 

Dick slumped down on the edge of the bed, that certainly woke him up a bit.

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $100,000 Tip

It took a little bit of time for Dick to compose himself but, he eventually knelt down beside the man, grabbing at the blood stained collar of his shirt and lifting his head slightly. He wasn’t exactly sure if he would get any actual answers but he had to at least try, “Who sent you?” Dick’s voice came out calmer than usually, which scared him a bit. 

The man mumbled something incoherent and Dick began regretting giving him such a beating. If he had held back a little bit he would be in a much better position now. He thought about asking the question again but that wasn’t going to change anything. Turning on his heels, Dick grabbed the man from underneath the arms and dragged him out into the living room. The gunman kicked his feet a bit but he wasn’t in any position to put up a real fight. Sick doubted he had all that much time left if he didn’t get to a hospital soon. 

Dick took a moment to catch his breath once they reached the other room. Dick pulled up the leather chair as he let his mind run wild. There were too many questions at the moment. How did he get inside? Dick had specifically built this place with fail safes and they didn’t seem to do much on this night. Something just wasn’t adding up and Dick felt himself slipping into a headache. He took a deep breath before pushing himself out of the seat and heading into the kitchen. His fingers expertly found the whiskey bottle and he decided to skip the glass altogether. Nothing about any of this felt right. It could have been a distraction, but for what? He got his answer soon enough as he heard the tires pull up in the gravel outside. There wasn’t anytime to react, going on his gut feeling, Dick hit the floor just before the first rounds tore through the front of his home, the glass from the windows exploding inwards violently. 

It was blind luck that he had the kitchen wall in between himself and whomever was slinging around the tommy guns. Keeping low, Dick crawled his way back into his bedroom, searching the closet for a moment before sterling himself with a few shallow breaths, his own Tommy Gun in his grasp now. Staying crouched he made it back to the kitchen as the attackers outside seemed to stop to reload. In one swift motion Dick stood, his finger calmly pulling the trigger. He could see at least one man through the shattered glass and focused on him, raining bullets in his direction. It wasn’t going to be easy for them, Dick would make damn sure of that. 

The man dropped clutching at his midsection before Dick caught the taillights peeling out, kicking up dirt and dust as it tore out of his driveway.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Dick took a moment to collect his thoughts as he kept the kitchen wall between himself and outside just in case. The place fell eerily quiet after the car tore away but that didn’t necessarily mean anything. If they were smart assassins then at least one of them would be left behind. 

Sticking to the shadows moving with a slow, quiet grace, Dick peered our the shattered window. The drive by shooter was groaning as he clutched at his stomach, his hands covered in his own blood. Dick let another beat pass before he moved out onto the front porch, the door splintered a bit from all of the gunfire. 

Dick’s head snapped side to side before he took another step, scanning the area to make sure they really did all take off. His senses weren’t going off wildly like before but it didn’t hurt to take some precautions as he pulled the colt from his holster. As the man lying in the driveway spotted him, he struggled to grab his weapon that was lying just out of the reach of his outstretched arm. 

Dick kept his head on a swivel as he carefully made his way down the front steps, kicking the tommy gun even farther away as he reached the side of his attacker. It was another face that he didn’t recognize which didn’t actually mean anything. They could have been guns for hire or someone’s personal guards, either way, they had made their intentions damn clear at this point. Dick must have been getting close to something, even if he wasn’t exactly sure what, to illicit such a response from whomever sent them.

Dick heard the crunch in the man’s wrist as he stomped down hard on it, even in his bare feet he did enough damage to draw a Yelp from the man. The man didn’t have much time left, Dick could tell that from all the holes in him that were spilling out dark red blood. At least this one was at least coherent enough to give him som answers if only Dick could ask the right questions.

Kneeling down beside the wounded man, Dick shoved the barrel of his colt into one of the bullet holes, drawing an almost inhuman scream. It made Dick’s skin crawl but he knew that he had no choice. He usually wasn’t into torture but time was a bit of an essence. 

”I’m only going to ask once and then this can all be over. I will even set you up with a trip to the hospital. Whoever sent you won’t be offering you that. Especially after you failed.” 

The man turned his head away, trying his best to continue being defiant. Dick let out a sigh and pressed into another one of the holes that were gushing blood. “I’m not the one running out of time here. You’re on borrowed time. Let’s make this as easy as possible.” 

The man couldn’t take much more of this and the both of them knew it. It only took a few more pokes and prods and a few more blood curtailing screams before he relented, the color nearly all drained from his face, “Isl-Isley!”

Thank you, that’s all that I needed.” Dick stood over the man, emptying the clip into him. At least he wasn’t hurting anymore.

Dick moved inside a little more somber than he usually would have. This wasn’t some attack in a public place like down at O’Fallons or Union Avenue Station, this was far more personal than that. This was his home that was tore to shreds. The one place that was supposed to be a respite from the chaos. Seems this time around, he brought the chaos right to his own doorstep. 

As he entered back inside, he made sure to avoid the broken glass and shards of wood. The last thing he needed was a slice on the bottom of his bare feet. After a few careful sidesteps, he entered the kitchen, “Fuck!” He bellowed out as he noticed the sharp shards of broken glass from the last of his whiskey bottles. It was shaping up to be one of those nights. 

Dick rubbed at his eyes tiredly as he went with choice number two, pulling a cold beer from the ice box before retreating back into the drafty living room. The wind was howling all around and now inside as well, causing a chill to befall him. There wasn’t much point in staying here, he was just a sitting duck if he stayed. Eventually, the driver would make it back to wherever they came from and they’d fill in their bosses as to what happened here. He wasn’t sure how much time he had but in all honesty, he was too tired not to take the risk right now. 

He day in his chair after sweeping some broken glass back onto the floor and contemplated his next move with his drink in hand. He had a definite name now, it was only a matter of finding out where. He doubted that he could do that alone at this point. Even with their attacks, Dick was still a step behind. Now would be a good time to have some powerful friends, unfortunately, he was coming up a bit short in that department.

As he sipped the last remnants of his ale, he picked up the phone receiver, pausing for a second before spinning the numbers on the rotary, “Hello, It’s Dick Grayson...I’m in need of a favor...Thank you, I will owe you one.”

Dick tossed the empty bottle onto the floor with a crash as he hung up the phone, a little more broken glass wasn’t going to hurt anything else at this point. Part of him wanted to sit and wait for them but that wasn’t the smart play, that was the play that would get him killed. He moved back into the bedroom, grabbing a couple of bags from the floor and dropping them on his bed. He started with the closet, grabbing each and every weapon that he had and putting them in the larger of the two. When that was done, Dick grabbed a few change of clothes and tossed them into the other. Carrying both over his shoulders now, he slipped back into his shoes, not even bothering to tie them. 

After slipping into his jacket, he stood by his broken front door, looking back at his home before he held the lighter to the curtain that swung a bit in the breeze. He stayed by the warmth of the flames for a moment as he watched them catch. Whenever they came back he was going to make damn sure that all they found was a pile of smoldering embers.

"Hello, It’s Dick Grayson...I’m in need of a favor...Thank you, I will owe you one."

"I knew this time would come, time is of the essence, there are some heavies looking for me."

He stops for a moment as he hears a dustbin being knocked over outside. They must of found me he though, the phone call would have to end sharpish.

"Do exactly as I say without hesitation. Grab the firearms, as many are you can carry and conceal them in any way you can, spare change of clothes will make you harder to track. Torch the place to make it look like you've been found and meet me at Luchows on 110 East and 14th Street.."

He hands up the phone, grabs his coat, briefcase and hat and hastily makes his way out the window to Luchows.

Report Post Tip

Dick watched the place burn for a moment longer before sliding into his automobile. Usually, he didn’t grow attached to places but this had been his home that he built with his own two hands. His blood, sweat and tears were engrained in the wood. Unfortunately, in his line of work, growing attached to anything was just a step down from death sentence. 

He replayed the address over and over in his head as he drove so he wouldn’t forget it, committing it to memory even before he was a hundred yards away from the flames. Dick purposefully took the fastest route to his destination, pulling into a side street to park a block or two away. He grabbed a couple of things from his bag and placed them on his person before locking the door and heading down the street. 

Dick stepped inside the door, eyes scanning the room a bit nervously, there werent many that he trusted at the moment but MontgomeryBurns was one of them. Dick spotted him in the corner and quickly took the seat across from him, “Thank you for coming. I need some help.”

Report Post Tip

Monty was already sat down at a table waiting when he watched DickGrayson come walking in, he knew his nerves were going to be on fire so he had already ordered two drinks to calm the nerves. Keeping his head down he walks to the table with a paranoid demeanour with his head lowered.

Monty had a vague idea what all of this was about but couldn't be entirely sure but he knew Dick would spill the beans soon enough, Dick pulls up a chair after making his way past the other customers across from Monty and speaks up.

"Thank you for coming. I need some help."

"Dick, a man in my position can't be seen giving you a free ride. I know you're in need of help so lay it on me."

Report Post Tip

“I understand completely, Sir. I will be in your debt and I am ok with that.” Dick drew in a deep breath before motioning towards one of the drinks before continuing. Now was the time to lessen the nerves if there ever was one. “I need to find someone. She’s been rather...elusive so far. Pamela Isley. I first ran across her in The Gold Coast but she isn’t stupid enough to stick around there.”

Dick lifted his glass, taking a slow sip, “I know that this information isn’t free. I’m willing to do whatever I need to for it.”

Leaning back in his chair, Dick looked Mr. Burns up and down for a moment, the man was hard to read if there ever was one but, Dick had run out of options. Everything was growing closer and more dangerous. It needed to be taken care of as soon as possible. Pieces needed to be taken off of the board.

Report Post Tip

The two begin talking and after listening to Dick, you can tell by the tone of his voice that this is a matter of grave importance for him and so Monty agrees to help.

"Pamela Isley." Monty pauses for a moment as if he'd heard the name before but couldn't be sure. He watches Dick take a sip of his drink and the nerves are showing, his hand so shaky barely makes it to his lips without spilling or dropping the cup. "I have this friend, Kenneth McLichen. You may have heard the name around Seattle? He has contacts who can help you find the woman in question."

Monty clicks his fingers and Steve comes over an leans down. "Pen." Steve searches his pockets and brings out a pen. Monty writes down Kenneth's details on the serviette next to him and folds it in half. "Now, to get in contact with Kenneth all you need is this serviette, mention that you know a Montgomery Burns from Summerlin and he will bend to your will. Before I give you this, I need to know two things from you. First, what has this Pamela done? Second, what are you going to give me in return for this?"

Dick drew a deep breath as he finished his drink, his hand steadying as he did. “Ahh, Seattle. Seattle may be a bit complicated. I’m not exactly a welcomed figure in the city, there was some rather nasty work I had to complete there. Not one of my finest moments.

Leaning forward on his elbows on the table, Dick spoke barely above a whisper. There weren’t a lot of people there but enough that he needed to play things close to the vest, “Isley wants revenge. When I first went after Zucco in The Gold Coast, I assumed she was working for him but the more things played out it was clear that she was pulling the strings. Zucco may have been the trigger man with my parents but I’m pretty sure she was calling the shots. She was cold and calculated. No fear to the point that it was unnerving. A couple of days ago there was a package left for me,” Dick slowly reached into his pocket, making sure to not startle MontgomeryBurns body guards and dropped the two etched bullets onto the table lightly, “My children’s names are etched into them. No one even knows that they are mine. Or even that they exist for that matter. I’ve sent them somewhere they will be safe, probably the only place they could be but I can’t take any chances with this one. She’s too close and it seems I’m always a step behind.”

Dick made a motion for a refill, “As far as what I will do in return, just name it. I’ve a little cash squirreled away but something tells me a man like you isn’t interested in cash. There are certain...skills that I possess. I am good at what I do. If and when you call upon me, they are all yours.”

Dick leaned back in his seat again, still trying to gauge a reading of the man sitting across from him.

Report Post Tip

Monty listens carefully to Dick speak, you get a sense of the eagerness he is willing to do to find this woman, a sense that he isn't lying. Dick continues to speak further using his drink to calm his nerves which needed a refill.

"@Dick, I don't doubt you need this done so I'll be quick about it, like I said I can't be doing this for free as there will be slight consequences on my side too. Despite my wealth I can't get everything that I want, I want you to take my contact but do not leave it long to contact him."

As both drinks are refilled, Monty can't help but wander what the skill set is that Dick has been going on about, he doesn't want to intrude too much and is kind of worried of what the answer will be, but he still has to know.

"Now, your skill set." Monty tips the bartender who has just refilled the drinks. "Tell me more." Monty hands the contact wrote on the serviette to Dick.

Report Post Tip

A small smirk appeared on Dick’s face for a fraction of a second before he pushed it away, as he took the piece of paper, “No one seems to know who I am. Or what I am for that matter. I’ve spent my whole life training for...something bigger than myself.”

Leaning forward again, Dick took the glass in his hand, “My parents were murdered in front of me when I was eight years old. I’ve spent the last fifteen years honing my skills. I can reach places most can’t or won’t even try. I can slip in unnoticed nearly anywhere. And...”

Dick thought about his next words very carefully, “I have no problem getting my hands dirty. I don’t enjoy it by any stretch of the imagination but it is a necessary evil around these parts, especially these days. I’ve done more bad than good for the majority of my life, only because it needed to be done. I have a resolve. Sometimes I wish I didn’t. It would have been much easier to walk away and live my life but that just isn’t how I’m built. I don’t respond well to people being bullied, definitely not if they can’t do anything about it. And at this point...” Dick took a big gulp of his drink, “I have nothing left to lose. That puts my in prime position to do the dirty work as it comes up.”

He wasn’t sure if this was what Mr. Burns was expecting but Dick wasn’t going to pull any punches now and laid all of his cards on the table. 

Report Post Tip

Steve motions over to Monty and whispers into his hear whilst Dick continues to speak, it must've been just a word or two as he wasn't there long. Monty was impressed with the skill set, would be quite handy for a heist if ever he needed someone to fit the bill. He feels like he has taken up too much of his time and has his own plans to get on with, both men finish their drinks an Monty stands and glances around the place before speaking to Dick.

"I must go, you have everything you need and I have heard everything I need to know, one day I may call upon your services and I hope that you do not let me down. Kenneth will do you well, most reliable. If you need anything further..."

Steve begins to leave closely followed by Monty behind.

Report Post Tip

Dick relaxed a bit as he watched Montgomery and his bodyguard leave. He finally had something that was concrete, something that may give him an upper hand. It was all about how he used it, of course, but all he really had to do was be smart about it. And survive Seattle. The latter being the more difficult of the two. 

Waiting an extra beat after they had left, Dick stood slowly and stayed to the edges of the room as he made his way to the door. He wasn’t going to waste anytime with this one, there was just too much at stake now to do that. Before he pulled the door open, he zipped up his jacket to fight off the cold and headed outside into the Chicago winter. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Too close for comfort.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL