Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 06:07:58
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
The New Player Experience and Reducing Toxic Posts Started by: Zeitgeist on Jan 19, '20 13:23

So this initially started out as me trying to figure out how we reduce the number of meaningless, rude and toxic posts (especially in funerals of late) on what the community so eloquently dubbed throw away accounts.

The general idea here was that, like with guns, it would take a certain amount of effort from an account before they can take part in a given activity. So if we were to require an account to have done either

X Amount of Petties 

Or

X Hours old

Before they are given access to post in the streets. This would reduce the amount of funeral posts where people sign up after death just to post expletives in a funeral, as people would actually either need to wait, or most preferably put a few hours of work into an account before anyone will listen to them.

This will hopefully reduce the number of people willing to spend 5 hours pettying just to call someone a "Insert word here" it also makes sense from an RP point of view, who in their right mind is going to listen to someone in the streets who has never committed a crime before and has literally no experience, and why would that person then be invited to the funeral?

Then my idea got a bet more involved, so I was thinking it would be great if we could have more features that become available to new players as they put more work into their character, giving someone access to 10 new features instantly can be a bit overwhelming so maybe something like this.

5 Petties - Unlock Drugs

10 Petties - Unlock Grave Robbing

20 Petties - Unlock Jails

30 Petties - Unlock Voting

40 Petties - Unlock Achievements

50 Petties - Unlock The Streets/Posting

75 Petties - Unlock Gun

At each of these landmarks there can be a little pop-up which directs them to each of these areas to explain to them what they are/how they work. Very much like how mobile games teach you in a drip learning fashion so you don't get confused and overwhelmed and leave

We have come a long way in terms of the new player experience and it does a much better job now than it did years ago to give new players a softer landing, but we still create a system where after their brief 15 minute intro they are thrown into a world of 100 features with no hand holding unless they ask for it or look for it, which let's be honest most players don't.

Report Post Tip

Interesting suggestion. Easy to bypass for those with instas, so could be a valuable learning tool for the fresh off the boats, whilst not hindering the more seasoned players.

What I would say is that because it's easy to bypass with instas, I don't think it would necessarily reduce the number of salty obit posts. I do like the idea, and I would think that obit posting should be time restricted as well as the implementation of this 'layered learning' concept if you wanted to limit the spam and sewage on the forums and obits.

+1 nonetheless.

Report Post Tip

I’m not a fan this messing that for a new player who has to wait the 3 minutes in between each that for 15 minutes they can’t do drugs and for an hour they can’t jail. A new player would lose interest in the game in an hour with nothing to do.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: The New Player Experience and Reducing Toxic Posts
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL