Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 01:27:46
Page:  1 
Random Musing of a Made Man Started by: TomCollins on Mar 02, '11 15:46

Sitting at a cafe he looks over the daily newspapers and reads once more about the bloodshed that hit the cities a day ago, the inky like the blood spilled is still fresh and he smiles to himself. At the next table are two members of a different organisation who are discussing their own personal wealth, He wasn't eaves dropping but he couldn't help but hearing that both were rich men, they liked their lavish lifestyle however neither of the faces were familiar to him, while he knew who they were aligned to these men were not known people and that got him wondering, his thoughts were interrupted by someone who was known to him and that figure sat down to join him.

"You look deep in thought Tom"

He looked over as the two men at the other table left then turned to his friend

"I wouldn't say deep in thought, but well there is something that troubles me.

lighting up a smoke and taking a draw he continues

"What is it about personal wealth these days, I recall not to long ago talking with my boss about money and I told him what's mine is his. To this he called me old school, have those days gone? Now more than ever the emphasis seems to be on making money, but not for the family, for the self."

takes another draw from his smoke

Yeah, I get that life isn't cheap. Protection costs money as do our other business ventures, but when did we become so engulfed in our own personal wealth that we decided to keep the extra cash we make, rather than kick it up to the boss? I can understand Dons and Consigliere's being rich they have been in the business for some time and with the positions they have reached are allowed a bit of leeway. But to have wise guys and made men rich, I just don't get it. Yeah a lot of money is passing through their hands but at the same time they need to ensure that the family comes first. It's no use hoarding money away for yourself when it could all be gone in a blink of an eye.

takes another draw on his smoke and sighs

I guess I just don't get it, I know money is great and I love it. But at the same time I'd rather make sure my boss had what he needed to finance his protection, his business ventures above my own. After all the more money I invest in his protection, protects me.

takes a final draw of his smoke, then stubs it out

I dunno, am I wrong in thinking like this, is it old fashioned?

Report Post Tip

Melis having been looking for her next purse to snatch overheard the ramblings. 

I don't think it's old fashioned. I try to live my life by that way. Kicking all the money I possibly can up to my boss.

Pausing for a moment to gather her thoughts she starts back up again.

The way I see it is if he's protected that's great. I never worry about myself. As long as my boss is alive should I die I know where my next of kin would be welcomed.

Her mind starts to drift onto other things so she wrapped up quickly.

I hope that makes sense to you sir. I must be going now there are bunnies and rainbows to catch.

With that she wondered down the alley. 

Report Post Tip

Listens intently to the words and smiles

Ah I'm glad to hear that there is at least one who understands what I mean. I agree totally with you where you say about knowing your next of kin will have a place to return should anything happen to them, as I feel that way myself.

My thanks to you, for your own thoughts on this.

Report Post Tip

You make a good point Sir. Before I got to Made Man I used to make sure I had enough for Drugs and Flight tickets but would send the rest to my Crew Leader. There was nothing else I needed money for.

I found the more i gave the more favour I would be in with the Boss, and then it would pay off because I would recieve Bodyguards and Jail breaks as rewards for my hardwork. There too many people hoarding their money these days and I dont know what for. What do they need to buy at such low ranks?

If your Crew leader thinks you need some protection they will buy you some protection.

But hey, call me old fashioned.

Report Post Tip

See now that's exactly the way I see it. what easier way for your boss to notice than for you to kick up large amounts of money. That way your boss sees that your more than willing to invest in the future of the family and not just yourself.

So as is seen, those who invest are rewarded, with as you say bodyguards, jail crackdowns and other such things.

Report Post Tip

The young Cornelius ventures into the local cafe and while waiting for the clerk to hand off some favored olive oil for his employer Gaius, he overhears the conversations taken place, at first he prudent as he is unfamiliar indiviuals speaking but decides to step up.

"I don't have the honors, scars and experience that occur in this business, at least not yet anyways - but I'd say that the standard operation procedure is that wealth is funneled up to the boss. We can all agree on that.

Wealth isn't just the monetary currency we traditonally think of, but includes dynamic variety of skills that the boss wields through his crewmembers. I hear that training one's trigger finger and pistol prowess can be an expensive undertaking, and a soldier might funnel more money towards that end. At the end of the day, his envelope might be lighter - but never the less the soldier is a better position to defend his family. In the end, it's the boss' prerogative."

With that he tips his hat and retrieves his boss' olive oil.

Report Post Tip

To offer a flipside to this argument...

We are mobsters, we are in this world for one reason and one reason only, to become rich and powerful. Every red-blooded mobster should be the same... out for their own gain.

Now... I'm not trying to say that everyone does think that way, however in a world of robbing, knocking down old ladies, racketeering, drugs and many other vicious criminal activites, do you REALLY expect people to play happy families and kick up all their spare cash to their bosses? Many will feel they have worked very hard for their money and already kick up enough in tributes to the boss and therefore deserve to have plenty of spare cash built up for a rainy day.

If all we wanted to do is impress our boss, then shouldn't we have stuck to the civilian life?

Report Post Tip

There is that side to consider, however I would say this. If all you give is what the boss has set then how are you to stand out among your peers? Yes ours is a cut-throat business but without the family we are nothing.

I don't disagree with setting a little aside for a rainy day, but should that luxury not be afforded to those who have already made their bones within the family?

Report Post Tip

Naenia carefully listens to the mostly one sided conversation before her, noting down in the back of her mind the various points spoken on. Seeing a lull in the conversation, she hops down from the hood of a nearby Model T waves cheerily.

Hello boys. I couldn’t help but overhear all of you speaking about wealth and power and even old fashioned gangsters! Such a dizzy of topics and right down my alley. I hope none of you fellas mind if I speak a few words?

Naenia smiles sweetly at the guys and starts circling the first man, a TomCollins from Chicago. Walking up to him, she gently shook his hand as a gesture of respect and did her best to ignore his collar.

Well Mr. Collins! It does you well to try and stir up a conversation in the streets. It’s been mighty dead around these parts, a trend that ebbs and flows at times... Giving in to the temptation and adjusting the man’s collar, she smiles again Now, I have a question for you, Mr. Collins. Would you say each person involved in our way of life requires a different amount of cash to support themselves? Before you answer though, take what I say and think on it.

Eyeing the rest of the mobsters around her, she clears her throat.

Hopefully I’ve got all your attention, so I will press on. This may sound strange but all of you here now have already shown how selfish you are. Tribute money for the hopes of favors? Or regard for your person? Tut Tut. However, it is nothing to be either ashamed of or something to hide....Naenia plays with the small rags covering her wrists and watches the eyes of each person near her, judging them. Your desire to gain favors and enrich yourselves does whoever you work for well, unless such favors are splurged. A mafioso who knows the way around city jails or who can shoot a man with some skill can hold the same value as a simple thuf who merely does a few drug deals and sends up nearly everything.

She grins and twirls around to meet Africanus’ eyes.

I do happen to like the way you think, sir. Took away some of my thunder and a few points I had in my mind. Oh! Before I forget...again...She glances over to Datsik, Good luck with your poker game.

Report Post Tip

It's not often a woman that isn't his wife gets that close to him and he feels a little uneasy, checking his collar in a shop window and seeing that it is in place properly he chuckles

Ahh, well thank you for that miss. I take on board what you are saying and agree with all of it. Although you have got my words a little confused. While the boss does show his appreciation for the extra cash I kick up. I do not now or ever expect anything from him.

lights up another smoke and takes a step back from the lady

I know there are other forms of wealth and not just monetary, but unless we have eyes inside each others inner halls the only wealth we can see from our peers is that which they hold.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Random Musing of a Made Man
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL