Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 14:18:55
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
RP Opportunities in LA's business district Started by: Magda on Mar 08, '20 20:32

Pop on by LA's business district and visit LilyBlack at the VIP Employment Agency.  

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1477325#22831691

This location works much like a job board.  Come in, talk to Lily as your character and pick up some sort of job that you'll need to accomplish either in the BD or Streets.  Examples in clude: taking messages to another city, maybe robbing a business or person, maybe laundering money, maybe helping rig an election, maybe less criminal acts such going to a location and working as a bodyguard for another character, a bartender, or performer in a mafia owned lounge.  WHO KNOWS!

Best part?  Once you're done with the RP, collect a paycheck for the job.

Likewise, if you would like to find someone to do a job for you, come talk to Lily as well.  She might be able to find you the perfect goomba for the job!

This business is open and its an ongoing offer for RP so... next time you're out in LA, swing by and have some fun with us!

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $1,060,000 Tip

So I've got another thought on a different RP opportunity Magda.

As you, and many others, well know, I am an avid gambler. Love it.I thought, why not translate that to RP? How to do it, I've got a few ideas, but here's the first pitch.

Drag Racing.

Essentially, you would have two people race their cars against each other via RP, other folks could gamble on the winners, etc. And it could potentially involve other businesses too.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Love it!  Seven Cities Boxing was huge.  I know this stuff has been done before.  What's your initial thoughts on how it would work?

Report Post Tip

Well, here's my initial bullet points...

• No cars will be recognized in the race without first being purchased via RP in a Business District thread that we have one of our LA members run. The actual thread can be a chop sop/gang hideout sort of thing where we can all RP, but it will also be a used car dealer where gangsters can go to buy a vehicle.
  • Cars can be "modified" with certain things, like a tune-up, supercharged engine, intake upgrade, premium fuel pump, etc. (TBD the boosts and how long they last, as well as cost) Again, none of these are recognized unless bought through RP in the thread.
  • Races are held as often or little as we want in a separate BD thread that is the racetrack, and you, UncleDrunky and TheDonBot will all be part of them as leaders of the city.
    • Anyone may challenge anyone else for a race, your car will be the best, Drunky's second, DonBot's third.
      • Give out prize money if people beat one of the three of you, people can place bets, and it will be based on a d-10 dice system (I have an old system I've used before, I would make tweaks to.

The essentials of this are pretty simple. I determine stats of all the cars, and roll their race after the challenge is requested and accepted. When that's done, the race actually happens, I mobmail them to tell them the result of the roll, but let THEM do the actual RP posting.

I.e. "In your first post you have the lead, in your second post you are tied, in your last post you are overtaken and you lose. Please go post with your race partner in the thread."

And then let both of them post, and then run the next race after that. Thoughts?

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

Seems pretty straight forward.  I assume you'll use cars popular from the 20s-40s?  Will different cars cost different amounts (or a basic amount for your car and the upgrades cost more?)  I assume funds raised for car upgrades and from betting will go to fund prizes?

Do you need me to start looking for someone willing to run the chop-shop RP business?  I assume you'll run the track since you're going to oversee the racing?

Report Post Tip

You have tipped Grits the amount of $100,000 for their post.

Can I get better positioning in the ranking of our cars? >___> 

(Solid idea - would be glad to help enable this. Please get in touch if this moves out of the planning phase) 

Report Post Tip

ROFL TheDonBot ... he is a robot after all, he might have some secret upgrades to his car that mine won't have.  :P

Report Post Tip

I assume you'll use cars popular from the 20s-40s?

That's the idea yes, might take a tiny bit of sleuthing, but let's face it, that's how NASCAR got it's start right?

Will different cars cost different amounts (or a basic amount for your car and the upgrades cost more?)

My thoughts were to have different cars cost different amount, and all of the upgrades would have a different cost, and some have a lifetime. A tune-up, for example would be a three-race boost sort of thing. Doing both different cars as well as different upgrades would help keep the thing from going too stale too quickly. You would essentially be building up to take on the leadership of the city, not be able to race the CLs car right away as a Thug and somehow find yourself beating them handily.

I assume funds raised for car upgrades and from betting will go to fund prizes?

Yes, with a 1% house cut for running the races. The mafia doesn't do anything for free after all.

Do you need me to start looking for someone willing to run the chop-shop RP business? I assume you'll run the track since you're going to oversee the racing?

Yes, I think it would be best to have multiple people running the different aspects of it. As long as we collaborate, it should turn out pretty well. But me doing both would limit the opportunity that other people have to run a business. Some folks might like to RP and just not really have an idea of what kind of setting or something like that, this would give them that opportunity. So having someone else run the shop and me run the racing would be ideal.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Damn fine ideas, Sir!  Okay, I'll get a letter off to the crew and see if anyone is interested in taking up that aspect of this project. 

Report Post Tip

Maybe involve the other crews in the city too? After all, A chop shop sounds exactly like the kind of place a Robot would call home. meanwhile, racing falls squarely in the entertainment category I think.

Just thoughts though.

Report Post Tip

Absolutely.  I'll forward the letter to the other CLs and invite them to offer the chance to their people too.  :)

Report Post Tip

I believe in another life MrMezzo was working on a role play style racing that we tested a little bit same as the boxing style event 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Yes! I nearly forgot about that.  TommyMezzo?  If this is something that tickles your fancy still, drop me or Grits a line.  Maybe your ideas could complement one another or take this thing to another level. 

Thanks for bringing that up Scott_Weiland!

Report Post Tip

I know in previous playthroughs, JamesQuinn (who would know Sully) ran a chop shop out of Philly during the commie reign. It was even called Race Street Automotive and was on race street to pay homage to our beloved Mezzo era. If no one else WANTS to run the chop shop, I can always NPC James as the greasy slime ball of car booster, chop shop, dealer he was. :)

Just an offer XD

looks great

i would love to be able to bet on car racing!! But why limit it to nascar, let's think big

like dakar rally like things, you can bet on stage, overall winner. Then not only the fastest car but also the most reliable one can in the end win the day?

Oh the NASCAR reference was not a direct link, it's just a point of historical accuracy.

If you've got ideas for a bet, I'm happy to hear them, setting up that sort of thing is relatively easy :)

Report Post Tip

Don't forget about the Demolition Derby, that was also a different angle on beat down cars on the way out. 😎

Report Post Tip

UncleDrunky is throwing a party!  Come join us.  :)  https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1488588#22929432

Report Post Tip

This one is in the streets (not the bd) but I wanted to open it up to everyone.  Very light-hearted and silly rp, meant to allow even the most novice writer have a little fun and jump in without any help.  It's basically mobsters trying out a type of D&D style game and in the end, we're going to fuck it up bad (likely justifying why it never became a game system earlier!)

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1494386#228305911

Report Post Tip

You're RPing RPing a fantasy game on a Mafia themed game? 

No words other than... wtf.

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: RP Opportunities in LA's business district
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL