Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 19:48:09
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Wordsmiths And Master Debaters: Up For A 24h Challenge? Started by: Squishy on Apr 15, '20 17:09

This is an activity I would like to try, and if it works out OK it will become a regular occurrence.

We pick a controversial topic and assign a side to defend to each grouping of cities

You are given 24 hours from the time of announcement to coordinate with your grouped cities on who will be presenting and make your official post defending your side of the issue.

If you compete in one event, you must sit out at least 2 more events before you are eligible to enter again.

*We recommend making it in a back alley thread, and then in the final moments move the thread to the OOC (this way you are not giving the other side the ability to preview it ahead of time to better prepare).  The poster does not have to be the person who wrote it for scheduling reasons. (Be sure to credit the author's account in the top line if its different than the person posting/moving the thread)

We will judge the winners based upon a weighted combination of

1) Votes from a panel of random judges selected by myself
2) Number of tips (since this is easy to manipulate, we ask that you be honest, the more honest I feel people are being in not soliciting a popular vote, the more weight this will carry)
3) Staff votes
4) My vote

Now a few things to keep in mind.  Half of the posters will be assigned a side of an argument they may personally be against.  If after the event is completed and you wish to comment, understand the poster may be out of their comfort zone and debating on a side which may actually be opposite of what they personally feel.  They are fulfilling a task - attack the words, not the poster.

If you feel this can be a good opportunity for some fun and enlightenment without reverting into petty bullshit, let me know and we can give this a try. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

Happy to participate or judge. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Report Post Tip

Definitely sounds like an interesting idea. Looking forward to some more admin-sponsored events, I always had a blast with the writing comps. 

Report Post Tip

This sounds like a great idea.

I really enjoyed the original pass the baton comp. I heard they dwindled in activity recently and therefore stopped, but it'd be great to see something like it again. This could be the perfect replacement.

Report Post Tip

I love this concept and I would participate 

Report Post Tip

Echo the above comments - sounds like a very interesting concept and keen to get involved. 

Report Post Tip

I'd take part, but I must warn you Squishy, running writing contests isn't as easy as it appears... 

Report Post Tip

Sounds fun!

Report Post Tip

Sounds intriguing. Should be interesting to see how this goes.

Report Post Tip
I like the idea. Interested to see how it would play out.
Report Post Tip

I'd be keen to be involved in something like this. I do enjoy a good debate.

Report Post Tip

This sounds like a great idea. I really enjoyed the original pass the baton comp. I heard they dwindled in activity recently and therefore stopped, but it'd be great to see something like it again. This could be the perfect replacement.

Chalk you should enjoy this event as a spectator, not a participant. We all witnessed your debate chops in the streets forum. Trust me, you’ll be horrible at this.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
VoxNeruda, I appreciate your concern for my debating abilities, however unless you’ve been keeping an eye on every post I’ve made for the last 15 years, you have no room to comment.

There has not been a serious debate in the streets for some time, petty arguments do not qualify.
Report Post Tip
Also, it’s not exactly encouraging for other players to see someone being told they shouldn’t enter an admin ran competition.

As far as I’m aware, the admin competitions are for everybody, regardless of ability, to have a go. The more people who enter, generally, the more fun it could be.
Report Post Tip

I am curious on this too, have seen a few things like pass the baton which were challenging to coordinate as people pulled out, never appeared online but could be an interesting event.

Report Post Tip

Also, it’s not exactly encouraging for other players to see someone being told they shouldn’t enter an admin ran competition.

Yeah I know, that was my whole point.  You're obviously free to do whatever you please, I was just suggesting you don't.  You contradict yourself regularly which won't bode well in a debate, and you can't even garner the support of your peers, even when picking on what you perceive to be the easiest marks in the game. I don't need to read every post you've made for the past 15 years to have come to any conclusion about you.  I've read enough, and what I've read speaks volumes.  I mean you're already losing this debate and it's about you sucking.  How are you going to fare when a controversial topic is thrown your way?

Report Post Tip

I don't see what me entering a competition has to do with you, VoxNeruda?

I could easily say that you suck at debating just as much as I do. You've expressed your opinion, and congratulations on doing so. I'm not sure what joy it must bring you to try to publicly belittle me, but hey, if you need those kicks, go for it, bud.

Ah.  Good comeback.  I stand corrected.  You're gonna do great.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Hey if I could retract my comments in this thread, I would.  This is an out of character forum, and a jab like this isn't appropriate for it, as I have no out of game angst for the guy.  I don't want to contribute to or condone to out of character personal shots, and I apologize to Chalk for it.  

Thanks VoxNeruda. Apology accepted.

I also apologise for getting defensive and snidey, hopefully we can all get along now.

Still looking forward to the contest ;)

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Wordsmiths And Master Debaters: Up For A 24h Challenge?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL