Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 16:31:38
Page:  1 
Stand Up and Be Counted Started by: Pluto on Feb 26, '08 17:48
Horrible title, I'm aware. Thank You.

I stand here, in front of you all squeezed into this dark alley to call out our leaders, or their spokesmen. You see, I'm quite curious of the minds of our leaders. I stand here, euphoric at my surroundings. I am still a civilian, but I can promise you that not long from now I will trade my nine to five lifestyle for and join La Costra Nostra.

But apparently I need to join a family. So I ask myself the age old question, "who do I join? A large, secure family, or a small, personalized family? Long established, or newly constructed?"

Alright, that was more than one question. Sue me.

So I call out the leaders, or RHMs, or whoever has the authority to answer me. In addition, I ask you, the masses, to voice your opinion as honestly as possible.

I ask you, what do you stand for? Are you a tyrant who strives for world domination? Cool. Are you the peace keeper that keeps everything in balance. Damn Libras. As a family, do you kill anyone at the drop of a hat to protect yourself and the 50+ people that serve you? Or do you work things out and simply plant one strategic bullet to end the conflict?

I am here, bubbling with questions. For the masses, I ask you to share your opinions and experiences with your family, if you can. My mailbox is open if a private letter is preferred.

I'd also like to point out that I am not "starting shit" as some may say. I am merely shopping around to find a leader with a mind like mine. Great minds think alike, they say, and I'm trying to find the greatest mind to match mine. In addition, I believe others who wish to trade their civilian status would be curious as well. If it helps, consider this a PSA.
Report Post Tip
i see that you are in need of some direction.

By requesting the CL and/or RH to come to YOU is not the way things work in this world. They have way to much to worry about, answering this type of question from a lazy a Civilian isn't on the long list of things to get done today. You are one person, and as I understand contacting each individual Boss to find out what they are like is a pain in the ass, but unfortunately thats what you are going to have to do.

If each Boss here, told each Civilian that walked off the boat just what type of leader they are, they wouldn't have any time left to lead.

So, I charge you, to look through the archived speeches, and talk to the Bosses you seem most interested in. What you are doing comes off as lazy, to me. Do some work on your own my friend, I'm sure you will a much better response, I'm not sure you will get much of a response here in the streets, as most of the Bosses don't want their dirty laundry scattered about.

Thanks!

P
Report Post Tip
Meh, I don't think it's lazy. Maybe it lacks a bit of creativity, but why the heck not give it a try.

I think it probably is best to go to the leaders individually to ask them what they stand for, and ask them if they're even willing to discuss what they stand for, or even if they stand for anything at all.

But it doesn't take the leaders any more time to come out here and address the masses, than it would take to address each individual that came knocking...wouldn't that take much longer to have to give the same speech over and over and over again?

Whatever each leader wants to do is fine with me. I'd prefer to go to them individually. It gives me the opportunity to reach them on a personal level, and make myself memorable.

But to each his own.
Report Post Tip
I'd have to agree pretty much what Pietro said before me. Don't be expecting the busy Family heads to come and vie for your services. You should be the one approaching them and securing your safety before your inevitable turn into the underground world. You can find out which boss best suits your needs by attending their street speeches, asking around, and so on and so forth.
Report Post Tip
Listen to Ellis, he is a living legend.
Report Post Tip
Please forgive me, as I was given the impression that by; if I may steal a phrase from the masses, "spam" a leader, it would be discouraged and possibly ignored. By putting it out in the open not only do they only have the answer the question one time, and not each time for each individual, but it additionally also gives them the time to come to me when they have the time.

Lazy? I likely put more effort into this speech than I would have a letter to each leader.

Also, I'd like to point out that while I would love to speak to each leader, I made it clear that it was not necessary. I only requested to hear from anyone with the authority to give me such information. This isn't breaking Omerta, this is telling the community what you, as a family, stand for. So the time you took calling me lazy, my dear Porkchop, you could have easily answered my question.
Report Post Tip
Actually, Pluto, I sort of like this...

It's important that you choose the leader right for you, just as it's important for a leader to choose the right members. It's easy for a leader to get to know a potential member by asking them a few questions, and thusly, for you to find out a little about the crew you might potentially join, you'd like some information as well. I get this.

Here's what I'll tell you...what I know.

My boss, Limoncello, has been a breath of fresh air. This isn't to say that she's better than any other leader, there's actually a number of leaders that I wouldn't hesitate to join (and a couple I might not as well). What I have seen from her though, is an attentiveness to her crew. She's not the greatest public speaker, but she communicates well with those around her, and in speaking with her, I know it's her goal to run a crew that, while they must follow the rules, will enjoy the work they do around here, and thusly, will be rewarded for it, when they do well at their jobs. I haven't seen favoritism shown, and I do know she is doing her best to give everyone that earns her trust, a bit of responsibility and opportunity.

This is what I can tell you...what I've seen as a sheer member in her crew.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors.
Report Post Tip
Pluto, you say you want to join the Mafia, well i believe its easy to join this world, but its not easy to survive.

If you want to survive here you need to follow the rules.And you cant make a crew leader come to you.You must try and find one, or someone he has in charge.

And more than this, you are not in a position to choose your fate once you enter this world, so you cant choose either your crew leader.
Report Post Tip
Sir William. Please correct me because it sounded as if you told me I can not choose my family leader. I must be mistaken because that was one of the first things told to me upon joining and one of the first things in the Mafia Bible I was given upon my arrival.

If I may read you a passage from the Bible:

Joining a Mafia family is one of the single most important decisions you can make on the site, along with choosing your answers at sign-up as it will affect your life in the game. Therefore, it is best to read some of the topics in the streets or speak to other people on the site before making your decision. Once you join a Mafia family, you are usually with them until your account gets wacked by another user or if your own leader dies in a war. It is not common place for users to join a Mafia Family and then change if they don't like it, so make your decision carefully - you can read more about how to join a Mafia Family below.

Section 1 - Paragraph 4
Report Post Tip
The Bible says "it is best to read some of the topics in the streets or speak to other people"

It doesnt say anything about asking a crew leader introduce himself to you...

If you were a crew leader would you do that to each civilian?

And you cant choose your leader.He will choose you.Thats why he runs a crew and you not.
Report Post Tip
If I was a crew leader and someone asked me to give him input on myself and my family would I give it to him? Yes. No hesitation there. I have a slight feeling if I waited around for a leader to choose me, I'd be dead in two days time.
Report Post Tip
I believe it would be best for now if the specifics were put to rest, and the space made for people wishing to come forward and say their piece in response to the initial speech.
Report Post Tip
Thanks Ellis.

For a civilian to be crowing in the streets for heads of families to come out in the fresh air and explain their raison d'etre seems like a good way to get shot rather than to find a leader of like mind.

Me? There is no mafia.

There is no mafia.
Report Post Tip
Who is to say that a small family is personalised, or that a large family is secure? Such claims are entirely subjective and not necessarily true of all situations.

To a more relevant matter though; I shall answer you, but not as directly as you perhaps hope. Do I strive for world domination? Perhaps. Would I announce it to all and sundry? Probably not. Am I the peace keeper? Perhaps. Would I announce something which arguably should be kept behind closed doors? Probably not.

As you can see, calling out such matters in the streets, however well intentioned, will probably only get you ambiguous, nigh on useless retorts. Us Sicilians are a suspicious, distrustful bunch by nature, and one could argue the Leaders and other authoritative figures have risen to where they are because of an abundance of this quality; though that's a debate for another day.

Personally, I can strongly recommend heeding the advice given by those before me. Mail a leader, get to know what he/she's like, though I can't stress enough the importance of not committing yourself to more than one leader. Alternatively, as Pietro has suggested, have a look at old speech transcripts; a lot can be garnered from one's conduct in public places.

Oh, and this was not a contrived appearance at all, just something I wanted to add my lucid opinions on np.
Report Post Tip
First off, I am impressed you would sacrifice a perfectly legitimate 9-5 to implant yourself in this thing of ours. Something must have attracted you to this life of crime. Would I be prying if I was to ask what?

As to you joining a family, although it is not necessary, you would probably increase your life expectancy tenfold if you were to do so. Who do you join? An age old question and as things stand at this moment you have quite a lot of choice. My bloodlines have always tried to join newly established crews when they arrive on these shores as I am firmly of the belief that you stand much more chance of being noticed than in an "old" already established family. But it all comes down to personal choice as obviously an established family will be able to offer you more protection.

So, what do I stand for? That would all depend on the situation. As things stand at the present time I stand for the fulfillment of my obligations as the "daddy" in Chicago. I try to run a tight but fair ship over here at the Partisans HQ and am certainly not one to stifle anyones progress because of past digressions or mistakes.

Obviously, this attitude, in some circles, would raise doubts as to my suitability as a leader but frankly I don't care. I have been charged with Chicago and I will run it, and my family, as I see fit. If you were taken under my wing I would expect nothing more than respect from you. If you stuck to this simple code of conduct I have no doubt you would quickly become integrated into the family and move swiftly up through the ranks.

With regards to my being a tyrant or a peace keeper, I find that every situation calls for a completely different standpoint and as such I cannot comment on my particular point of view unless you give me more specific examples to work with.

I hope this, as ambiguous as it may be has helped somewhat and I wish you all the best in your search for the "right" crew.

Tips his hat and disappears back into the HQ
Report Post Tip
You can't hardly blame him for expecting leaders to come forward vying for his services. It seems to be acceptable these days for leaders to stand out in the streets indiscriminately pandering for members, or as we saw with a Boss McHugh, blatantly passing out invitations to unknown Civilians. When we allow such things, the gutter scum will expect to always be treated like royalty and not have to do any work around here.

For clarification, Wallace was correct when he said the leader chooses you, but that doesn't mean you are supposed to wait around for him to approach you. You must approach him, impress him, and THEN he will choose you to be in his family if he so desires.

The responses offered so far impress me. I hope this is a sign that we are returning to traditional values and imposing a certain work ethic on Civilians.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Stand Up and Be Counted
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL