Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 18:53:51
Page:  1 
Cause and Effect Started by: Tam on Mar 13, '11 21:59

Tam enjoyed a quiet morning with a newspaper and a few coffees at one of his old friend's bakeries down by the docks. It had always been a good place to spend a morning. Over the years he'd picked up the countless bargains and early deals coming off the ships and had made a tidy sum for the people he'd worked for. As time had gone on he'd seen to it that reliable shipping companies had been rewarded and in turn they had been good about tipping him off on valuable cargo entering the docks. It had been most lucrative all round and these days Tam enjoyed a warm welcome from all the companies, up and down the quayside.

Leaving a generous sum as a tip for the girl behind the counter, he strolled out to take in some of the salty sea air. The sun was casting an optimistic glow across the harbour and the possibilities of a new day were evident in all the bustling activity. As he strolled he came to the immigration docks. These had always been a hotbed of activity but something had changed as the years had rolled on. It was difficult to put his finger on just what, so he stood and watched the comings and goings for while.

He saw several made members from various families hustling around the immigrants just processed from Ellis Island. A practice that had been common place for many generations. New blood, new lives, new loaves to bake, so to speak. However there was a distinct difference. The lack of selection. The swamping cover-all approach that saw mobsters all but sweeping rafts of new immigrants into vans with virtually no distinction. Driving them off with barely a word, into a new life of crime. Yes that, that was certainly different from the old days.

That difference gave Tam cause to reflect on other topical debates and thoughts his friends had been sharing with him of late. Deciding it would be best to put these thoughts into the open air he pulled up a shipping crate and spoke to the assembled.

Hello folks. There has been considerable debate about the weakened quality of our mobsters and community in terms of articulate and creative representation here in these streets. There are a multitude of reasons for this. To get into each individually could lead to a million debates. I think the key to understanding this, as with many things in life, is to look at the mutually symbiotic relationship each aspect of our life has on the next. The knock on effect of one decision, manifesting itself down the line in unforeseen and sometimes unwanted outcomes.

Lets take this recent complaint about street speaking quality and innovation for instance. An entirely legitimate complaint and one I wholeheartedly agree with. But really, the question has to be asked. Do you really think there is no connection between the now widely accepted methods of recruitment and the veritable plant life we have meekly attempting to entertain us in the streets? I think not. Rarely are new mobsters put through their paces and made to bleed for their place as they were in the old days. But then, who's fault is that? The wet-backed immigrant shoved into a van on these docks and sent to work with barely a clue? No. It would be foolish to blame a child for not knowing the answer to a question it never learned. So really then the fault must lie in the tutors? Perhaps this would be a more likely source of fault and thus resolution.

I am not here to complain about the way things are, I am not trying to kick up a fuss about how good the old days might have been or what these new kids just don't get. In my experience this type of overly romantic reflection serves little but to increase the division between young and old and resolve nothing. What I would like to do is look to the situation we have, without complain or blame-laden finger pointing. Its profitless at best. No. What I suggest is a call to those with the power to do so, to make strong and diligent efforts to raise the bar!

We have new blood in these streets. We have vitality and life that has shown willingness to learn and grow. What blame can we lay on them then, if the leaders and sponsors put forth as examples for them, show them nothing but silence, distance and a lack of any of the old values a great many of them claim to hold dear? None. No parent would sit back, doing nothing to teach their child and expect it to educate and develop itself. It is for the parent to show the child how to live.

My point, for all of this, is a simple one. Don't complain about the new generations. Teach them! Lead by example!

Thank you for your time.

Stepping down from the shipping crate, Tam takes a seat next to a sun baked wall and waits to see what people have to say.

Report Post Tip

Alabama watches as Tam climbs down and rests in the sunlight before turning to him

How resfreshing, a well thought out approach to discussing a hot topic, keeping it away from the ongoing debate on the other corner. Kudos. While I agree a lot with what you have just said regarding the way all and sundry are thrown into a van without a word, I feel that has little impact on the topic of street presence. I have long been against the process of "whoring" new mobsters, but the way that person ends up in a family bares little against how he or she then progresses in this thing of ours. I obviously can't speak for other familes or cities, but I know my own puts a great deal of time and effort into helping the new blood learn how things should work around here. Now, as you said, we aren't here to point fingers or anything, I didn't mention that fact to start a blame game - my point is.. If everyone is doing the same, and I dont doubt many other families are, then why do still continue to see such little progression?

Take yourself, for example. An experienced mobster thats in a position of importance and of high rank, I dont recall seeing you around this street corner before, despite the fact that you clearly have the ability to offer your opinion in a manner that would befit someone of your position. Again, I dont wish to single you out, its merely an example. If someone such as yourself doesn't find the time to stop and talk on these very streets, it begs the question why? Do we just have little to talk about? Lets face it, we are a secretive lot by nature of our life, so why is it that we expect everyone to stand in the middle of the street discussing our thoughts?

I feel the simple answer to most questons is the coffee shops. They offer a lot more privacy to those that wish to discuss matters of importance, unless someone is looking for a debate, then its likely they will converse in these coffee shops instead of bringing their thoughts to the public.

Anyway, thats my two cents on the matter. As I said before, I am not throwing blame here, or pointing a finger, I am as much to blame as the next person is, but I hope someone else can shed some light on the subject, as I can't see a definitive answer to the reason for our standards stagnating.

Report Post Tip

It's always easy to come out and say something needs to be done as far as tutoring....

As I stated in the response to the complaint that you whole heartedly agree with, people learn from their own mistakes. You can give a man a gun, show him where to point and pull the trigger, but the end result lays in the hands of the individual holding the gun.

Leadership can promote, teach, hand cookies, baby powder asses all they want, but it's up to the individual to learn what best suites them.

I can teach a Mafioso a tool, but he/she may have different views, and ways of acknowledging their own opinion.

Dick takes a hit off his blunt

Regardless if it's rhyming, story contests, a "just hopped off the boat and wanted to say hi" speech, to one eye it may be non sense, to another it may be entertaining.

I know you are not attempting to cause a fuss, and really I like debates. I also give props to those who have the balls to spark them.

The fact of the matter is this: if you see something you don't like, if you disagree with something or someone is just plain ignorant well my response is this, the streets belong to the world. It's everyone's source of communication and at times entertainment. Would be silly to state it's just a "leadership" issue with teaching new Mafiosos, when in reality, it's everyones responsibility.

This also addresses another issue. Is it truly a leader's responsibility to monitor all activity? If so, what is the significance of Regimes? Are they not implemented as leadership as well? Anyone Made or higher has a responsibility whether given by your CL as a title or not, the fact that you are Made makes you responsible for representing your family and community as a whole. Something I clearly make a point of to my own Family. I do not think it's my responsibility to teach or babysit. As much as I do give a helping hand, as much as I offer assistance, it is not an obligation. I do so because it's the type of Mafioso I am.

Either way, I appreciate you taking your time on sharing your views.

Report Post Tip

Smiling at Alabama and Richard, Tam stands up.

Thank you for your response. You raise good points. Primarily, pointing out my own scorching hypocrisy! Its true, my own presence here has been diabolical. Criminal. To my shame I have barely ventured into these streets since my start in this life. There are several pretty serious reasons for this but all said, I haven't been and that is my failing. I figured it was about damn time I bucked the trend and started to practice a little of what I have been preaching behind closed doors.

Alabama, I'm pleased that you come from a family that shows such strong examples to their number. Its encouraging to know there are families that are still working hard to share the values of public speaking. As I said, its not a blanket conclusion, just a largely contributing factor. Your point about coffee shops is also a good one. I think there has been a soft attitude taken by many toward the attendance of such venues. Sure they are vital for a great many aspects of family communication. That can not be disputed. However over reliance on them, all too often negates the importance of these streets we are conversing in now. As Richard said "the streets belong to the world. It's everyone's source of communication and at times entertainment". They represent something that can not exist in the coffee shops. For entertainment, leadership and debate.

As you said Richard, "Leadership can promote, teach, hand cookies, baby powder asses all they want, but it's up to the individual to learn what best suites them". That much is true but there have been times gone by where street attendance was made mandatory by families my ancestors were a part of. I have read journal entries of more than a few stating their base requirement of making street speeches and taking part in the debates of others before the awarding of a button would even be considered. It touches on your point about Regimes.

Setting the right example is one thing. As you with your family and Alabama in hers have clearly shown, there are families still pushing the value and importance of these streets. However we also live in a competitive world where a soft option will always be taken by the less committed. If street presence was ever to take the place of importance that so many believe it should, the ruling regime would need to endorse and help enforce a rule or rules that ensured it would be mandatory.

There are possibilities and solutions! However unrealistic some may appear now. Each ruling elite can change significant aspects of our daily lives and patterns. Just look back in even recent times. You read about having MIA contracts stolen left right and centre? That doesn't happen now. In fact now it is a punishable offence to steal someone else's contract. That change only came about because one member of the ruling elite at the time stood up and said 'enough is enough!' He set an example by making it illegal for any member of his city to steal contracts from anyone else from any city. He enforced this rule with many deaths of his own city members too! The example he set took strong root with other city heads. In turn the balance swung and we have the rule we all follow today.

Our world is run by the rules our Godfathers and mothers make for it. If enough weight is put behind any solid idea that benefits the entire community, it is completely possible to change the system.

Report Post Tip

Listening to the clam and reasoned debate going on Durzo couldn't help but approach

Its so refreshing to see a discussion going on in these fair streets that stays on topic and where everyone speaks appropriately to each other. Id like to weigh in if i could.

Flicking through my records from when i got off the boat from the old country i can see many an attempt was made to blindly recruit me into their families. Maybe they had heard about my ancestors, Durzo scoffs to himself although i think not. I feel that if im going to take someone under my wing and be responsible for them and teach them our ways, then i want to make sure i know a bit about the person before i hand them my business card and phone number. That is part of the reason why i myself haven't found a protégé at this stage, because half way through a conversation the potential recruit is bundled up and tossed into a van and driven off into the sunset.

I myself when i first arrived admit that i used my fathers contacts he had made as his time as a CL to talk to who he had always believed was an exceptional bloodline, that is not to say i went straight up to Don -Premeir and demanded an invite because of a friendship our great grandfathers shared. I spoke with him first in the coffee shops and asked him how he would like me to proceed in respects to joining his family and he directed my attention to his representative on the streets Ms. Murdock and i attempted to prove my value to the family. And as you can see i must of made an impression on them because here i am, giving this speech today.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Cause and Effect
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL