Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 13:44:25
Page:  1 
What Would You Do Started by: Intervention on Feb 27, '08 06:31
Intervention walks out onto the streets and tries to grab the majorities attention

Hello Everyone i promise i won't keep you long. Now i know i am not the best street speaker but atleast i am making an effort.

If you were put in the best position of the most powerful mafia boss, what would you do? What way would you run things? What would you change?

Power is fought for in many different ways, some can't live without it, some strive to have it and some don't care, there just in it for the money and the easy women. What do you think makes you a good candidate for leader, what changes the fact that you should be in leading role rather than be a subordinate?

I've heard many say they would do things differently, But when it comes down to it and they are given the chance and nothing changes. Do you believe that if someone really wanted to set up, that they should be allowed to do what they want. That's not saying I agree with rogues, I don't want someone just setting up and going wack crazy. I would rather see people who believe they have what it takes to step up and take a chance, but I know in this day and age that is forbidden.

If challenged as a Leader by one of my family, I would feel anger and vengeance but it wouldn't last long, I can learn to forgive people and I am not the kind of leader to hit the HQ button unless it was really necessary, I believe in giving them a second chance, obviously depending on what that certain person has done.

It's a little different when its another crew leader or members attacking or doing something which disturbs my family, I will give them similar chances to behave depending on the circumstance, but I would definitely be more cautious. If it were the leaders member shooting at my members I would obviously pressure them into killing there member, No questions asked but if it was something a little less serious such as mugging I would tell them to deal with it as they see fit and make sure nothing like that happens again from this particular person.

Is it easy to tell who the weak leaders are, or is it there final goodbyes which after we can make our final decision on what kind of a leader they have been throughout there life?
Report Post Tip
If you don't know what kind of a leader they were until they have said their final goodbyes, they were a shit leader.

One thing my ancestors in bold suits tried to do was establish, through the auth process, diversity among the leadership across the country. We all know that there are several illegitimate factions which hang out in the coffee shops and occasionally these factions act more like families than they do with their real families. My ancestors tried to give each faction their own family in order to restore family loyalty.

This had an added benefit of providing a more interesting panorama of leadership. Reading the history books about the old days, one of the things that made it so interesting was that each family had a very distinct identity. These days, sometimes you could leave one crew and join another, and it wouldn't even feel like you left. Maybe the two leaders are good friends, and have the same following. With the system my ancestors tried to implement, each family had a very distinct following. This goal was motivated by a previous era, when UN crews were in every city. The stagnation that set in almost killed La Cosa Nostra, until a huge apocalypse wiped out everyone.

Other than strategic authing, a good leader needs a backbone. You can't let yourself be pushed around, but you must be smart about it. Don't give the finger to a leader who is agressive and much stronger than you. Play the politics, nod and smile, and wait for your moment when you can assert yourself. It's a tightrope that needs to be walked, and if you go too far towards either the passive or aggressive side of the rope, you'll fall off.

A good leader must also be unwavering when it comes to his family. Countless times we have seen a leader's weakness in this area. They have been reluctant to punish their members with zero tolerance, thinking they were protecting their family in so doing. The result is always the same. Their lax attitude angers other leaders, and it's cement shoes time. You also don't want your family to see you as a pushover. You might feel bad by being so strict with those you are meant to protect, but if they disrespect you by breaking your rules and thereby endangering your family, why should you show them any mercy?
Report Post Tip
I myself have been a quiet man in this world. To some it's a sign of weakness and you can get wacked for it, but for me I am just a better listener than I am a speaker. Maybe one thing that I would change in this world is having a designated person in the crew to do public speaking on behalf of myself... Some may think this is a horrible idea but not everyone is as good at speaking as other. Whether or not you speak shouldnt determine whether you're a good CL or a bad one.

Secondly...I agree with FlyingPig. You should as a crewleader have a backbone when it comes to handling important family buisness. If in your HQ under the crews rules, it says NO MUGGING OR WACKING without proper authorization than that's exactly what it should be. I dont believe in giving a second chance for something like that, it's an easy rule to follow so why break it? I am an easy going person who loves to have a good time around here but there is a time for business and a time for pleasur, and as we all know I'm sure, mixing the two never ends up in a fairy tale ending.
Report Post Tip
Johnny over hearing the topic at hand snuffs out his cigarette and decides this is something worth talking about.

My ancestors unlike FlyingPigs have not been Crew Leaders. I don't know what it is like to have a crew, but I've seen what it can do to people. I agree that if a leaders offspring must address the public and tell them what kind of person their father was then they weren't very good.

We have seen many different types of leaders in this world of ours. Some have brought great things and some have been nothing more than a blimp on the radar you could say. Yes there are many who say they'd do things different or claim they could run a family. Unfortunately most haven't been given a chance. I'm sure there are reason's they haven't been given that chance, but you're asking them to step up in a way. At least that's how it seems to me. Maybe I'm wrong maybe I get what you're saying. The way I look at it is if the person who says they can run a family has worked for the family, brought a good environment and keeps a well collected stature why not give them a chance? If you look at why Crew Leader's die it is because they simply aren't suited to run a family. Inevitably they are killed. So if someone has worked for the family and been an active Mafioso in our world and their family, why not give them ago? If they end up not being cut out then they will die like any other Crew Leader has.

I agree with FlyingPig once again on the matter of how to run a crew. Don't pick fights with people you can't win against. It's easier to discuss and come up with a solution to maybe ending one or two lives instead of 20 or 30.

Johnny lights up a cigarette and proceeds to walk down the street towards the local diner.
Report Post Tip
As I walk through the streets, I see Intervention is gathering people for a speech. Not knowing this particular leader too well, I skip over (yes, I did say skip and I do mean like a little girl skipping in a playground!) to listen in.

As Intervention draws to a close, I think it's time to throw my 10 cents in:

"For me, a good crew leader has to have several qualities. And you will hear replies about these qualities, loyalty, discipline, honour, integrity, moralistic, the list goes on. So, I'm not going to talk about them, I'm going to talk about something I think is important, consistency!

From the beginning, a Crew Leader should know who they are and what kind of crew leader they want to be. If they don't, they were probably authed a little early; you shouldn't be a crew leader if you haven't earned it and if you are not ready for it. I'm sure there are more reasons that can be pointed out however, I'm on my way to get some food so won't go on.

Style of leadership varies, if you chose to rule with an iron fist, do so, it works, people who are feared are usually respected, if not liked. This point can be debated as people may "hate" an individual or wish he would die but, if they are honest with themselves, they will see that the despised figure (dictator?!) has worked hard to get where they are and has probably earned that platform.

If you wish to lead using diplomacy, making public appearances and using the "politics" approach, do so, it too works. If you are liked by the public and liked by the other crew leaders, it goes without saying, you are likely to live longer as you will have fewer enemies.

You can (to quote Mr Cash), "walk the line" between the two, ruling with an iron fist, doesn't mean you can't be cordial!

What I think is required for a good crew leader though, is one who has his morals, integrity (blah, blah) but more also, someone who sticks to them. Someone who is consistent in their leadership, someone who states "You will die if you mug me," then kills when he's mugged. I'm not saying you have to kill muggers to be a good crew leader, I'm just saying, that if you say your going to do something, (Nike advertisement), just do it.

Where a crew leader can fall down, and this is only one point, I know that there are lots of places to fall down, is when they rise to power, advertise that they will do great things, they will punish those who defy them, save the panda's and invent a new self buttering toaster, then, 2 months into their reign, I'm buttering my own toast!"

Talking of toast reminded me I'm hungry, off to get some food. . .
Report Post Tip
I can't comment on running a family specifically as my bloodline's never done it, but my father's father was a RHM and he passed on many tales of woe and joy. So the following is only how I see things from my perspective, not a comment on current situations.

I think, like many things, it's all about balance.

You have to protect your family, yet also be firm with them. That's not to say failure to follow rules should always mean death, people often deserve another chance, but if an HQ wack is required, then so be it. Better him/her meeting their end, than your reign meeting it's. You have to pick your moment with other families, sometimes agressive, sometimes passive, or even submissive if good's coming from it. There will be family leaders you get on with more than others, which will also dictate your conduct.

In terms of public speaking, I think some street input is required by all leaders, but it might be to the liking of some more than others so the levels of activity will always vary. A quiet leader is not necessarily a weaker one or vice versa. Some just aren't quite adept at it, whilst others don't want to rant on just to keep us peons amused...then there are those who love that aspect of it, regardless of whether they entertain the masses successfully or not.

Having a balance of how you handle things, and being able to adapt to varying situations first and foremost make a good leader to me.
Report Post Tip
47 looks up from his newspaper.

What is this "mafia" you speak of? My friend, organized crime is an urban legend. Criminals are no more organized than my sock drawer. Even if, hypothetically, this "mafia" did exist, I'm sure our fine police force would quickly shut it down.

47 nods and smiles at the passing police officer and returns to his paper.
Report Post Tip
"Truthfully, Intervention sir, I would turn them down."

"A man of my stature prefers to work behind the scenes."
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What Would You Do
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL