Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 06:25:12
Page:  1 
Mouse Or Mafioso Started by: RoryRourke on Mar 15, '11 19:31

Rory accompanied by his 500 strong army of Invisible bodyguards (yes they do count pal) steps up on to a soap box on the corner and addresses the public at large.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Recently whilst venturing around these streets I have noticed many, interesting and possibly controversial statements and arguments. Today I bring a question of my own to the masses.

Rory senses the intrigue as he pauses to light up a cig.

I ask you, what separates the real Mafioso from the wannabe's? Now, I am no one to judge who these "wannabe's" are yet if you look around you start to get the idea. However, I think this debate could teach Wannabe's a thing or two on how to be a Mafioso.

So, I ask again, what are the defining characteristics of a Mafioso. Is it the respectful manner in which they treat each other? The way in which they conduct their business? The way they're not afraid to stand out from the crowd as long as they stay inline?
I mean, many people follow the crowd, you only have to look around to see the degree of ass kissing that goes on around this place now a days. And sure you gotta kiss some ass to go places in this world. Also a trait I often notice of those I consider Wannabe's is the fact that they come out to the street trying to play Billy Big Balls and step on the toes of the others. Some sort of macho display of sorts? Perhaps just sheer stupidity....

In my eyes a Mafioso has honour, they follow Omerta, they treat everyone with respect until it is proved that perhaps they do not deserve that respect. They put their lives on the line for their family day in day out.

What do you think?

Finishing his Cig, Rory stubs it out and steps down off his soapbox.

Report Post Tip

Separating real mafioso's from the wannabe's.... hmmmm.

FFDP takes a deep breath and thinks before opening his mouth

For me, if I had to choose one specific thing that defines a mafioso from a wannabe, it would have to be loyalty.

We live in a world of guns, crimes and big ego's, so being respectful doesn't quite top the list (as people have already noted and told me in my previous dealings in these fair streets). Being respectful I believe, can only get you so far.  Other mobsters will see the way you act and appreciate the sentiment, but they know that in the end you are out for number 1... yourself, 99% of people here are here to (eventually) run their own family.

Standing out from the crowd? This is a very important character aspect in my eyes, although I cannot comment on staying in line as I have recently been reprimanded for not doing just that. I love to see mobsters standing out from the crowd and in more ways than people would suspect. Being an avid street speaker, teaching and nurturing the new blood, massive donators, brilliant organisers (ie. good hit squad leaders). They all have big importance to me.

I couldn't agree with you on some wannabe's coming out to play Billy Big Balls as some sort of macho display as I believe this is the view people have of my blood and this really isn't the case. I believe that anyone who can cause someone to reply with comments full of emotion (respect or rage) deserves at least a little bit of respect, just to be able to bring out the truth in people.

I'd love to say Omerta, but these rules are very rarely followed nowadays as we see cross-world kills because of coffeeshop activity or because of what their father/grandfather, etc did. Omerta does not exist anymore in 90% of the mobsters we have. Someone that I think should be taught and drilled into any new blood that appears on our shores.

But going back to my original answer, loyalty is the one for me. Anyone who will blindly follows their boss' rule without so much as a question has big respect from me. Now, I realise that we have had past leaders who were quite the idiots and have dragged down scores of members of their families because of stupid decisions they make. However, that leader ushered you into this world, they sheltered and protected you and most of the friends you will probably make, they put up with any silly decisions you make, they basically mothered/fathered you through your life and to me, that is what makes a real mafioso.

Regards...

...FFDP

Report Post Tip

A very interesting point FFDP, and one i must say I agree with. Loyalty, is as you pointed out the most important quality. Wannabe's are often glory supporters and part timers. Real Mafioso stick by you until the end going down in a blaze of glory. They do not walk out because they fancy something a little better they stick through it during the hard times. These are the people that keep our world ticking.

Report Post Tip

I would say no end is glorious but that is my opinion. For a criminal organization to fail in our world, it is nearly always due to a grave error on the part of a few power players. No glory in that. Rather...a feeling of disappointment.

However, I shall address your main point Mr. Rourke.

Nothing in this world separates us from each other to such an extreme that it can only be comprehended by two mere polarized groups. Just like the greater population of civilians in the outside world, we all share the same shades of weakness and strength. I shall work from FiveFingerDeathPunch's example, which happens to be a good one. Naenia gently clears her throat Some of us profess loyalty with our mouths, while keeping the heart cold to all but the self. Some profess loyalty with both, but only to a certain point. Then, there are the golden examples that show a type of loyalty that is rare and precious to all leaders. Such shades of character strength embody us all, though they can also vary within the same bloodline.

I could go on with other aspects of our life. Stupidity, greed, power grabbing, obscure desires, and sexual needs are other aspects of crime that are involved in the life of a member of the Mafia. Like I said earlier, shades of weakness and strength.  Nothing, however, is absolute save death. For example, greed can occasionally be a good thing, as a successful extortion is excellent for the finances. However, at the same time, you can get yourself in hot water from being too greedy with the wrong people. Knowing the difference depends on how intelligent you are or by having good guys around you.

What makes you a better Mafioso depends more on smarts then any of the other factors above, though they do still have an effect. For those that want to get somewhere, think before you act or say something. While you may not always get rubbed off for your words or actions, they may come back to shorten your life at a later date.

Naenia grins Nice to see you out here, curious about such a topic and asking about it. Makes walking around more interesting, with all these conversations.

Report Post Tip

You raise some very interesting points Naenia. Many of which I had not previously considered. I agree that dying is not glorious, yet better to die in the face of the enemy then fleeing and jumping shop.

As you've raised them, i'd like to expand on some of your points, providing you don't mind of course.

"Stupidity, greed, power grabbing, obscure desires" Now i believe all of these link in together. Obscure desires, i guess everyone has these, I'd estimate that 95% of people have their own desires and want more than they have. However, a small amount of them have the audacity, possibly stupidity to move on them. Now don't get me wrong some people do have the required strength to execute the power moves but often Greed takes over too soon. This leads to stupid, greedy people, with obscure desires, making powergrabs which they can't complete. Leading to an Inglorius end. These people have always existed yet, in recent months and years they seem to be growing more common. So linking back to loyalty, I believe all these things you stated are stopping the wannabe's from becoming real mafioso. Without Loyalty, how can you be a mafioso?

Report Post Tip

after thinking for sometime he decides to speak

Since you first posed this question you have had me wondering exactly how to answer. Yes there are certain things that go hand in hand with being a mafioso; loyalty, respect, honour. But these are words that can be thrown about and juggled by anyone who knows how to word them.

takes a draw from his smoke and continues

So what I will say is this, only you can truly know who you are. We can all put on on front, show people that we know what these words mean, but it is our actions that speak louder than our words. Say it's crunch time, war has broken out, your family isn't involved yet but there is a chance they might end up in on the fighting. Those who stick around to see what happens show the loyalty that can only be described as loyalty of being a mafioso.

takes another draw from his smoke

One tell tale sign for sure is someone who decides that it is their time to shall we say shine, yeah I think it fits. A family member is one who does not think for the self, but for the family. Win a little in the poker, kick up what you can. Get the contract for an mia on the other side of the family, defer it to someone in the family. This leads back to an earlier discussion I had out here about wealth. Yes, our life can be expensive but can you imagine how much more expensive it can be for your boss, or do you just worry about your own costs. Granted it's nice to keep a little away for a rainy day, but what happens if you die cause your bosses bodyguards failed? Then whatever you had in the bank is wasted away.

stubs out his smoke and smiles

You wanna prove your a mafioso, put your family before you, put your life at risk to save them. To me that is something that is slowly slipping away, the thoughts of the self should never outweigh the thoughts of the family.

Report Post Tip

Pausing to consider what had been said, Rory lit up a smoke before replying

You know, Mr Collins, i believe you have hit the nail on the head somewhat.

On the subject of loyalty and respect, I witnessed something in a coffee shop the other day, when a young thug, who i shall not name nor the family he was apart of, to save any embarrasment or bullets in my head. But anyhow, this young thug casually strolled into the mentioned coffee shop, he stood there big, brave, infront of associates, made guys, even the boss and made an announcement.

He stated that he wished to depart company with his sponsor to join another family. So, after copious amount of racious laughter. The boss explained to him that as he'd come to him asking for a protection, he could not just leave on his own accord. Which any mobster knows correct? Now a few things shocked me here, firstly the fact that this said thug had the audacity if not stupidity to approach his leader in a coffee shop with his family around him and declare that he wants to leave. I'm confused at why this mobster thought it was okay to do this, but even more confused at why he thought it was acceptable to jump ship? This links back to my wannabe's.

People talk about the times of old, my ancestors haven't walked these shores for as long as some but from reading my ancestor's journals over the generations, I know that this would never have been deemed acceptable, and quite possibly never even crossed the mind of most mobsters. Is this the direction that our society is heading? More and more people are thinking it's acceptable to walk out on your leader, the very person who offers you protection from the hitters. The person who enables you to make money.

Is this the "new breed" of Mafioso emerging on our streets, I certainly fucking hope not!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Mouse Or Mafioso
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL