Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 11:29:43
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Athans in Greektown Started by: The-Greek on May 07, '20 01:44

Athans is a greek restaurant in uptown Detroit, on the corner of 1326 Jefferson Ave and Randolph.   Their menu is completely authentic. Their Greek food that they prepared and served daily as it is in Athens, Greece!   Enjoy a handmade pita, authentic Greek yogurt, mouthwatering sandwiches, hearty salads, freshly hand squeezed juice, selected Greek wines.  Athans has more than 20 traditional Greek recipes cooked by greek’s born and raised in Greece.   Not really ready to eat big and want a quick lunch taste then explore more than 200 artisanal Greek deli products. 

You will love the four large brick fireplaces, the solid oak tables and the aroma from all the food that flows from the kitchen into the dinning area.  The sound of their harp that places in the background while you eat like a Greek King’s and Queen’s.   Try the desserts.  We have baklava cakes made with phyllo dough stacked with honey and nuts, a sweet Mediterranen bite to make anyone smile or try our lemon cake, a buttery pound cake with lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon yogurt. 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

The Greek walked the joint with a smile of approval.  He loved the look of this old style traditional Greek restaurant.   It was a real throwback and filled with things imported from Greece.  He had money and powerful friends and now he was an owner of a fine establishment.  He looked at the bar room that also served sandwiches and whatever a person may want to drink.  The dinning area was perfect from family meals and the kitchen was stat of the art for the timeframe they were in.  He was proud as he sat at the bar drinking a beer with his childhood buddies.  Zee, Agot, Spencer and Liam.  They toasted the grand opening and then opened the doors.  

Report Post Tip

Meliodass has no idea about Greek cuisine but she loves trying out new foods so she visits the new Greek restaurant that opened in Detroit. 

Although she's never been to Greece or anywhere outside the US, she's seen picture of other countries in magazines and such, and Greece is one of those countries.

Upon entering the place, Mel can immediately smell the deliciousness in the air. She takes a seat and asks for recommendations since she doesn't know anything about Greek cuisine.

Report Post Tip

It had been a long few days for both Talia and Johnny, first the Yacht club incident, then skipping sleep and deciding instead on coffee, and then staying up the rest of that day at Talia's place thanks to cocaine, only to have a war break out. All in all, it was a long time to go without sleep, even with the assistance of some good coke.

Once they had finally crashed nearly an entire day passed and to say they were hungry when they woke would be a huge understatement. Luckily there was a brand new Greek restaurant that had just opened right across the street from Talia's apartment and she had been bugging him to try it for a few days now.

Johnny wasn't a huge fan of Greek food but he was hungry enough that he would have eaten anything, and so it didn't take too much convincing. Still wearing yesterday's clothing he waited for Talia to quickly finish getting ready so they could head across the street for some much-needed food. 

Report Post Tip

Talia walked out from the back room, got into the living room area and did one of those big stretches and yawns. If it weren't for the growling and hunger pains, she probably could have slept for another 24 hours if left alone. This was not the case though, her apartment had gone from a one person place to three rather quickly. 

Even though Johnny did have a place of his own, a bigger and much better place. Yet he choose to stay there, it was probably just because of the proximity of her place to other things but either way it had become the crash pad. 

"You ready yet?" 

"Yeah, you ready?"

Both Johnny and Samantha were glaring at her. 

"I guess so... come on."

The both of them jumped up and raced to the front door, Johnny hip bumping Samantha out of the way. 

"Ha! I win!"

"You're special, that's for sure. Now that you won the race to the door, can you open it so we can go?"

Report Post Tip

"As long as you both remember that I won."

He said it in a completely serious tone as he swung the door open. Johnny liked winning, most people like winning but Johnny REALLY liked winning. Even if it was a contest he made up himself like racing to a door. He glanced back at Talia and Samantha as he made his way down the hall towards the stairs only to see them both still shaking their heads at him.

"Hey whatever... race you to the sidewalk?"

He didn't wait for a response, he just took off down the winding stairs and through the two lobby doors.

"Woohoo!"

He held up his arms to celebrate but soon realized he was the only one out there, apparently, they didn't want to race. About a minute passed while Johnny leaned on the wall to catch his breath and waited for Talia and Samantha to catch up. When they finally did Talia was still shaking her head at him and simply walked passed him and crossed the street to the restaurant. Johnny jogged over beating them to the restaurant by a few steps but instead of celebrating this time he held the door open for them to enter.

"Ladies first...' 

Report Post Tip

As soon as the door opened, the smell of the place hit them. Sure she was hungry before but now even more so. It had been... days... since she had really eaten much of anything. Other then the coffee the day prior the last thing she remembered was the couple chips on the yacht. Probably wasn't the healthiest thing to do, not eating like that but it happens. 

Samantha walked in first, followed by Talia and lastly Johnny. 

They were greeted and sat down rather quickly. 

"I wasn't that hungry initially but let me tell you, I'm super hungry right now. I hope they have one of those olive plates. Mm Olives."

Talia could feel the glare of eyes in her direction. Both Johnny and Samantha were looking in her direction. 

"Do you all not like olives?"

Report Post Tip

Johnny kept his eyes squinted in her direction as he spoke. "Olives are awful."

The waitress approached the table breaking up his glare. She placed down three menus and introduced herself as Sophia before heading back to the kitchen.

"Would you really eat just a plate of olives?" Johnny asked as Sophia walked away, he was genuinely curious. Was that really something people did?

Johnny picked up the menu and gave it a glance. It was a bit overwhelming as he had never actually had Greek food before, the little descriptions under each of the meals helped a little bit but they were a little vague when you didn't know what the big bold word meant. Frustrated with the whole thing he closed the menu and put it back down on the table looking up at Talia.

"I have no idea what might be good here I'll just take your word for it. What do you think I'd like?"

Report Post Tip

Before even picking up the menu, Talia needed to comment on the whole olive thing. 

"You seriously don't like olives? And yes, I can eat them just by themselves. They are amazing!"

Johnny gave her one of those grossed out faces, she then directed her attentions to Samantha. 

"Do you not like them either?"

She shook her head and did basically the same face as Johnny. 

"Well.. both of you are weird, what can I say?"

She directed her attention back towards Johnny. Then glanced down at the menu. 

"You seem like a salad kind of guy..."

"Salad? How the hell do I look like a salad guy?"

It was meant to be a joke and he took the bait. 

"You just do, something lite. Maybe with some raspberry vinaigrette...?" 

Report Post Tip

Johnny gave her another glare. A salad with raspberry vinaigrette didn't sound good at all. 

"Guess its back to trying to decipher this thing." He said as he picked the menu back up. 

He looked it over carefully before settling on the Lamb Chops. He slid the menu across the table towards Talia and pointed at the description under 'Lamb Chops'. 

"Lamb is good, I like lamb... but what the hell is a tzatziki? It's not a fancy word for olive is it?"

Talia spent a few seconds reading the part of the menu he was pointing to from upside down before responding.

"No tzatziki has nothing to do with olives, that comes with a salad though... it will have olives." She said.

"Oh well, extra olives for you I guess..." Johnny said as he closed the menu.

Report Post Tip

"Good you can have the lamb and I will have the olives, works for me."

Talia looked down and gave her menu a glance. Using her finger as a guiding point. 

"Ah.. a gyro. That sounds good right now. Sam, you know what you want?"

"I was thinking the gyro too."

"Good choice, much better then lamb..."

Talia looked over at Johnny and gave him a smirk. 

"I wanna see if they have an olive plate too, all for me obviously."

Report Post Tip

"Lamb is delicious... olives on the other hand..."

Johnny made the same grossed out face at Talia as before, and so did Sam causing Talia to just roll her eyes.

"Face it, you're totally the weird one. Guess we need to decide drinks too eh?"

He grabbed the drink menu from the side of the table and spent a few minutes glancing through it, eventually deciding they should probably just share a bottle of wine, something else he knew nothing about so he handed the menu over to Talia.

"I think I want wine oddly enough, assuming you want wine too you can pick a bottle. I don't have a clue what I am looking at here."

Report Post Tip

"Wine? You really want wine?"

Johnny nodded. "Yup!"

It was a rather odd request, since the day she had met him she had never seen him drink wine. It was either beer or some kind of mixed drink, usually one that contained some kind of gin. Perhaps she was rubbing off on him? What was next, was he gonna like olives or maybe sugar in hot coffee? It was a thought that made her chuckle, would have been funny if they all started to happen. 

"Alright then.."

Talia took a glance at the wine list and settled on a Merlot from 1928. It was a name that she had heard of before but for the life of her just couldn't say it so she didn't even try. 

It was just about then that the waitress made her way back over to the table. 

"You all decided?"

"Yeah I think we are good."

She pulled out a piece of paper and looked over at Talia, whom looked over to Sam. She took the look as a cue and ordered. 

"I'll have the gyro and an iced tea."

The waitress wrote it down then made eye contact with Talia. "For you?"

"I'll have the same thing as her. Do you guys have an olive plate of sorts?"

"We do."

"Oh, great! We will get one of those too."

She slid the wine list towards the waitress.

"Also a bottle of this, with two glasses."

She wrote it down then looked over at Johnny. "And for you sir?"

Report Post Tip

Johnny opened the menu and made sure to point as he ordered, just to make sure he didn't order the wrong meal. There was a few different versions of the lamb and he wanted the one with that fun-sounding tzatziki stuff.

"I'll have the 7-ounce lamb chops please." He said with his finger pressed into the menu. 

"Wonderful, that should be about ten minutes." The waitress said as she tucked her note pad back in her pocket and collected the menus before turning and leaving the table

Johnny turned back to Talia once she was gone.

"Yeah, I am not sure why but wine just felt like it was what you're supposed to have with this kind of food. Like I said though I have never been to a Greek restaurant so maybe it's not?"

Report Post Tip

Talia smiled. 

"Wine is good with anything or by itself. There really isn't a bad time to have wine."

"Oh good, so then wine was the right choice."

"Totally!"

"Can I have some wine, too?" Samantha chimed into the mix. 

It caused Talia to turn her head 

"Fuck no! You're like 10."

"14..."

"Same difference."

"Fine!" Samantha looked over towards Johnny. "It was worth a try, right?"

Report Post Tip

"Always worth a try." Johnny smiled and nodded to Samantha.

Before Talia had a chance to scold him for siding with Samantha the waitress reappeared balancing a bottle and two wine glasses in one hand and carrying a glass of water for Samantha in the other.

"Impressive..." Johnny mumbled as she placed the drinks in front of each of them.

"I'll be right back with your food." She said as she turned and walked back to the kitchen.

Only a few moments later she appeared again headed towards their table, and if the balancing of the drinks was impressive before this was a minor miracle. She somehow had all three meals and a plate of olives balanced on her arms as she made her way over. She placed it all on the table, putting the olives in the middle.

"Enjoy!" She said before leaving again.

Johnny slid the plate of Olives over towards Talia before looking down at his own meal. 

"Gross... this lamb though. Now this looks good!"

Picking up his fork Johnny searched through his salad before he began eating, and each time he found an olive he scooped it up and dumped it on Talia's olive plate. Once he was confident he had removed them all he picked up his knife to begin eating.

"There we go. All fixed."

Report Post Tip

Talia picked up an olive using her fingers and popped it into her mouth. She chewed the fleshy meat off the pit and pulled the pit out of her mouth and set it on the side of the olive plate. Both Johnny and Samantha giving her a bit of a glare. 

"I don't even want to hear it, don't knock it until you try it."

"Oh I've tried it and no thank you." Johnny said 

"Yeah same here, gross." Samantha added

"Whatever, more for me."

She picked up and popped another olive in her mouth. 

"So, what kind of trouble we gonna get into today?"

Report Post Tip

Johnny finished chewing the hunk of lamb in his mouth and gave the question some thought before answering.

"Well, I finally feel nice and rested after that long sleep. I'll need to head back to my place to shower and change and all of that when we leave here but... getting out of the city for the night could be fun? I feel like I have been couped up in Detroit for a while now, I quite enjoy traveling around the country it's probably my favorite part of this life."

Johnny reached over and grabbed the bottle of wine, filling his cup right to the brim and causing Talia to shake her head at him once more.

"What? Is that not how you do it? I don't really know how these fancy meal things are supposed to work..."

He carefully raised the full glass to his lips and took a big sip. It was surprisingly good, good enough that he took another large sip before putting the glass down and topping it up once more. 

"You know I might be able to get used to this wine thing. Who would have thought?" 

Report Post Tip

"Oh... that does sounds good. Just get on a plane and go. I'm in!"

Talia looked over at Samantha, she had a mouth full of gyro. With how much that kid eats, Talia doesn't know how she isn't 300 lbs. Alas though, she was a little thing. 

"Care to join us?"

She nodded as she continued to chew. 

"Alright then, I guess that is settled. After this you go do your thing and we will get on a plane."

Talia reached for her glass of wine, the one with the reasonable pour. Gave it a slight swirl then gave it a sip. 

"Another fine choice in wine, bravo to myself." 

Report Post Tip

Johnny finished off the last of his lamb and then turned his attention to his salad, quickly finishing that as well. He placed his fork and knife down on his empty plate and leaned back to relax and let the food digest before finally looking up. Talia and Samantha were both looking at him as if he had three heads with mostly full plates still in front of them.

"What I was hungry..."

He reached over and grabbed his wine, taking a sip and placing it back down beside his empty plate.

"You can both take your time, I am in no rush it was just a long time since I ate. My bad. So later I think we should just hop on the next flight that is leaving when we get to the airport and see where it takes us. Unless you have any pressing work to do anywhere? My schedule is actually empty for once which is nice."

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Athans in Greektown
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL