Get Timers Now!
X

May 22 - 01:15:14
Page:  1 
Happy Anniversary Started by: Master_Splinter on May 09, '20 21:18

Soooo, 18 years ago, on Friday 26th April, The May edition of FHM Magazine was published. For those of you who didn't know, FHM was the first of the Lads magazines, magazines specifically aimed at young men in their early to mid twenties. The Talked about Fashion, music, breasts, women, sex, male grooming and games. So why am I telling you this. Well, that month, FHM posted a list of the top 100 games available to play online. One of those games was Mafia.org, the forerunner and game that this game takes its unique look and feel from (before that game turned to shit). Currently, as I look around the streets, I can personally identify at least 10 individuals who are all playing Mafia Returns right now, either directly or indirectly because of that Article, some of whom I have been honoured to break bread with, share a drink with, and call my friends.

I'm not going to name names, not going to call people out in case I break peoples incog or whatever, but you know who you guys are. So right now, I am raising a glass of Glenfiddach Solera Reserve and toasting your good health, happy 18th Anniversary guys, technically Mafia Returns is now old enough to play itself :p

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
That's what brought me here! Wow...

I'd love to see the article. Does anyone have a copy?
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I've spent the last few days looking for it, I can buy a back issue of the magazine for about £10 but its hardly worth it. I've found several mentions to the article on various BBS feeds from May/June 2002, but all the links are broken.

Report Post Tip

I remember that. Makes me feel even older, so thank you for the nostalgia. 

Report Post Tip

I only read that magazine to look for tips on how to style my nipple hair that's all!!

Report Post Tip

I thought the only use for that magazine was the Jenna Jameson agony aunt column. 

However, my hand is up, I am from that avenue also. 

Report Post Tip
Yep. That's how I'm here too. I was doing an IT degree in uni. Instead of working on my software project, my mates and I would scour through FHM online games. We found .org and all made an account. Sam The American Eagle was a name I remember. Steel Dawn, the Gambler, Doc Holiday, TommyC. Some other names I recall
Report Post Tip

That was certainly the article that brought me here!

(just as I was starting my GCSEs - what better way to spend my revision leave..!)

Report Post Tip
Actually graced the .org a year or so before that article. I do however recall seeing it online and thinking about the wave of new players that would be docking on those particular shores at the time.

Incidentally, the best thing about FHM was the captions below pictures. That and Grub Smith's sex tips. Never did try snowballing thankfully.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Happy Anniversary
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL