Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 16:31:36
Page:  1 
Street presence no longer important Started by: SillySausage on Mar 02, '08 14:35
Yes, its the same old debate that has gone on many a time before, and will definetly go on many a time in the future. Its been a while since we have had it, so I thought I would bring it up again.

Numerous recent assinastions of CL's have followed with the 'excuse' that they did not have a street presence and were 'mutes.' At the time, many people commented that this was just a bullshit run of the mill excuse when no other excuse could be found. But what has happened recently has disturbed me.

I will not go through recent auths indivudaly as this will be seen as an attack on them and there character.

MY only question to the head honchos is:

Is street presence no longer necessary to get auth?

and I would like to follow this up by asking

Is a lack of street presence a justifiable excuse when auth is given to those with no street presence?

I mean no disrespect by anything I have said, I merely wonder if a knowledge of the streets is actually important anymore?

Regards

SS
Report Post Tip
I don't necessarily think that all of the recent auths have lacked street prescence. Orwell was a very prolific speaker and remained so after his auth. Granted, he did'nt last very long...
Report Post Tip
You know, I've been a part of this debate numerous times, and each time, I have different thoughts on the matter.

Firstly, I don't believe to be a great leader, you must be a good public speaker. A good leader leads by taking care of their family and their business. Entertaining the masses in the streets shouldn't be their job.

Secondly, what is there that hasn't been said? Sure, a few people can get a kick out of "Famous mafioso A had a relationship with Wepspider and had little mafioso A spider babies" (a topic, I assure you, I've seen before). What's the relevance of it though? And, do we really need a daily update on Omerta, Honor, or etc?

Thirdly, we live in a world where certain leaders run the world. Let's face it, just because "Lower Ranked Leader A" says something, doesn't mean that "Higher Ranked Leader B" will agree with it, or lay the kabosh down on said idea. Therefore, at times, it's better for the lower ranked leader to focus more on what they can do, in regards to their family, city, or such, instead of the entire community.

The problem with street presence being viewed as a requirement for authorization is that it caters to the same cycles over and over. My ancestors have been in many crews where their leader sure as heck could give a good speech in the streets, but when it came to taking care of their crew, they failed miserably. I've even seen some of those leaders relatives given another crew at a later date.

So, no, I don't believe it should be required. Is it nice? Sure. Leading, to me however, is actually leading though...not entertaining.
Report Post Tip
We have 4 leaders

Me - Obviously I'm not going to criticise myself

Altitide - Can't shut the guy up most of the time

Cab_Tufting - Always making speeches in our streets

-Jackofhearts - Pretty active street speaker

Everyone else is a captain, simply doing a job and creating profitable situations for their boss. It is not necessarily a pre-requisite for captains to be street speakers, merely that they do what their leader asks and remain high in the dollarage stakes. Naturally it is encouraged but don't mis-construe captains for leaders as the mandates of leadership either formal or informal.

Having said that I don't see the problem, since the phased leadership changes the streets have improved exponentially from what you might call the previous "set" of leaders.
Report Post Tip
I would imagine to be given a captaincy, it is your work within that family, rather than your community work.
Report Post Tip
Adebayor, my point here seems to of been slighty misconstrued by yourself. I am talking about a street presence before auth. I fully udnerstand that when leading, the streets are a low priorty and you only need to visit them when needed. Its more of a point that the recent auths had no street precense before they were authed.

however Ade (Can I call you Ade, or do you prefer the Togonator?), I do agree with your points that when you get authed, we should not expect or demand a street presence unless needed.
Report Post Tip
Well SS, I understand your point and I have kinda agree with you on some points.

Street presence is very important in my eyes as the streets the pool of communication for all of us but do you really need to have a good street presence to get auth? I think not, to get auth I don't think you need to be the best or an active street speaker, auth should only, and I mean ONLY be based on your leadership skills and your work.

But then again I have to say once you are authed, street presence is an important thing as you now are in the spotlight and you draw a lot of attention towards you. On this I have to agree with you, even if you aren't the best street speaker you should be taking part activily as people expect it and it benefits your family in any way.

Well, these are my two cents.
Report Post Tip
SillySausage, the Togonator does have that nice ring to it.

I do understand your point, as well. Still, I think that for a long time now, we've lived in a world where "street presence" has been put on such a high pedestal, that worthy potential leaders have fallen by the wayside due to the fact that they didn't visit the streets enough or know how to say the right thing.

On the flipside, we've seen a number of people rush to the streets (with this emphasis on street presence) saying anything, no matter the relevance, or actual effort put into their speeches, just to be noticed.

Personally, I think that to be auth'd, one should demonstrate, to whoever has the power/desire to auth them, their leadership skills, their dedication, and their hard work within a family. I know this goes against a lot of what we've grown up with around these parts, but, I believe that street presence is nothing more than an "added bonus" to the repertoire of skills a potential leader should possess.
Report Post Tip
Speaking doesn't determine how well or how bad a leader runs there family, so a don't feel you can judge a leader poorly because he doesn't speak much.

There's also the fact that sometimes there just isn't anything to say, or nothing worth mentioning. Someone in a position of power can not fear the streets or is it they fear there street presence will be stamped on by the pedantic cunts that chose to insult people at any opportunity and make a public show out of them?

The streets are a cold place but the discouraging attitude of some has led to a collapse in people sharing there thoughts. Perhaps more support should be given to those who speak and im not talking fucking babysitting.

The idiots, coming to streets title " WHOSHOTMEINTHEFACE" those people need to made a mockery of to ensure they never speak again.

But people need to know the opinions, the thoughts and the ideals before they are given the chance to gain more power or would like too, whether that power handed is just or not.

A leader can prove himself to there family but its in the streets where the opinions count.
Report Post Tip
I'm very in favour for leaders to be more street active, but with that said, does a leader on the streets who never shuts up really make him a worthy leader?

If a leader was to constantly make random speeches on our streets, then who's back in their HQ keeping an eye on things? the RHM?

A leader serves more purpose in their HQ than they do out here.

V.Sennheiser
Report Post Tip
But occasionally it is good to see them on the streets. While they do the most good in their own HQ, knowing they are interested in our world as a whole is a good thing too.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Street presence no longer important
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL