Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 15:36:07
Page:  1 
Why Do We Do It Started by: Turk on Mar 03, '08 07:57
As I was dozing off to sleep last night, I was thinking about this thing of ours and exactly what it is we find so appealing. What keeps us coming back for more, keeps us interested and entices us back in for the daily slog. Lets face it, it's not hard work for tough guys like us. No resistance is put up when we snatch purses or turn over 7/11s. Geez, even the mighty banks crumble in fear at the wave of a gun, handing over their day's takings in a flash. We can't be in it for the action, can we? In saying that, Jail-breaking, if that's your thing, can become quite the frenzy if you're not quick or don't choose your timing wisely.

On the face of it though, it's quite a shallow world we live in. Yet we are all still here, there aren't enough hours in the day for us to spend around the streets, HQ or planning our next score.

We'll all have our own reasons of course; some for the sense of achievement gained from rising through our respective families, some who are here solely because of their loyalty to close friends, some thrive on taking responsibility within their crews, whilst others are happy to progress quietly making their living, passing a cut upwards and holding private conversations. Others enjoy the politics and discussions, whilst there are those who can't pinpoint it, they just love immersing themselves in this life.

Then there are the few at the top, those in power. Have they long held dreams of running their own family? Or have things just panned out that way...their in-built leadership skills seeing them rise to the top naturally?

Personally, I spend so much time in this thing of ours because I like the sense of structure being in a family brings. If it's the right family for you, you're given a feeling of belonging that you can't get enough of. Without it, things feel empty. I enjoy the fact that, more often than not, hard work brings rewards and more responsibility if you seek it. I don't have long-held ambitions of running my own family, but I do like to play a part in helping my boss to steer our famiglia in the right direction. I find this more rewarding than aything else. More rewarding than the satisying hit on some unsponsored gangster who's contributed nothing in the last week, more rewarding than the drug deal at heavenly prices, more rewarding than mugging someone and leaving no trace, and certainly more rewarding than the well-planned bank job that is executed to perfection.

As someone once said, "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.". To me, that sums up this thing of ours perfectly. Without the right family, I know I wouldn't be here.

So what is it for you, why do you keep coming back to this life? What drives you? Power? Money? Politics? Family? Violence? Scores? What?

Turk
Report Post Tip
Louis smiles and tips his hat to Signore Turk for bringing up such a talkable topic

"My friend I believe if you ask any Wise Guy why he chooses this life the answer will be most simple. The lifestyle is like no other, it is very hard for your world to go to shit if you do things right"

"Sod working 9 till five in a bank or offices, working down the docks shifting crates or mucking about in fish guts for your living. A Wise Guy will see what he wants and take it. If he's got the right boss and connections then nobody will touch him, if he needs some cash he'll just steal it and if he gets pinched? They pay the judge off or the police captain and he's back on the streets"

"You don't have to worry about being treated like a petty thug nor about being targeted for being a Soldato, but even then, life is still sweet"
Report Post Tip
As someone once said, "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.". To me, that sums up this thing of ours perfectly. Without the right family, I know I wouldn't be here.

Irony?

The amount of hours put in will ultimatly neglect legimate family life.

Amused me if nobody else.
Report Post Tip
Turk chortles...

Hah, Vodoo, quite amusing indeed. However, as I have no blood spawn in this thing of ours just yet, I'll stick to spending time with my famiglia.
Report Post Tip
Thank you for that information, i was quite concerned you were actually neglecting your children...
Report Post Tip
I could sense the distress in your voice, I'm glad I could restore calm.
Report Post Tip
I know my street speaking, freind its like you can read me like a book maybe we are mafia soul mates.
Report Post Tip
I'd like to think so, Vodoo.

Back on topic, you're right Louis, once any of us reaches a certain standing in the community we become untouchable by "outsiders" to a large extent. I guess it's something that gets taken for granted, or forgotten about until you leave this thing of ours and go back to the hum-drum, 9-5. I couldn't slot back into normality, that's for sure.
Report Post Tip
Hero to zero, you openly engage in a convo with someone else.

You cheating *word that CP's say, and is never used into the intial meaning of C from the P obviously.*
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Why Do We Do It
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL