Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 02:21:24
Page:  1 
Mafia Philosophy Started by: Exxo on Apr 02, '11 06:03

Good morning, everyone. I meet you all with a very simple message, one to which everyone can relate. The subject? Nothing controversial. Nothing astronomically mysterious or enigmatic, just some simple thoughts about what we've come from, and where we're going.

It's astonishing, the resemblances our world has with ancient philosophy. Of the philosophical texts preserved over the many years, we see a massive growth of reasonable and logical thought around the time of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle (and their students). These were great men, not because they were the strongest, or the wealthiest, but because they questioned the world around them, and used their logic and reason to produce the principles of nature which you and I experience without even knowing. I don't want to bore you with my recent studies, but it's something to think about. The time in which Greece saw this "Golden Age" of reasonable thought was at a time of peace, where leaders were open to new ideas and new prospects, and citizens were growing in knowledge and understanding.

When you take note of the advancements over time, you'll see that our world of crime has quite a few similarities to the outside world. As far as I'm concerned, I can recall the teacher-student mentality which allowed massive prosperity during the time of these Greek philosophers used today in our modern crime families. As the world advanced in technology, new opportunities arose, and it seemed everything was getting better. So, what does all this mean? Why is this old man babbling off about ancient history?

Because that's the method we need to use to produce the world in which we want to live. Take the time to question some of the things that we normally wouldn't have a passing thought about. Why? Because that's the way it is, and it's been that way for a very long time. So, rather than sit back and patiently wait for topics of discussion to present themselves, I'll throw some at you.

1. Territory. In my mind, I envision the average mobster to be greedy and territorial. However, in this world that seems to come as a trade-off, because if a godfather limits the population of pettying mobsters in his city, he loses money. So is it worth it? Balance the income, the bodyguards purchased, the gun training ranges, to the lack of safety. At any moment, anyone in your city could pop a round off in your direction. For those without insane protection, it could be reason enough to have other crews keep their distance. I don't know the answer, but I'd say it's worth discussing.

2. Taxes. Oh taxes, how sweet they are when we see the % come out of each and every petty, as if your boss were standing right outside the bank as you robbed it. I love the tax system. It's simple, surprisingly efficient, and absolutely irreplaceable. Or is it? As a boss or RHM, I'm sure you greatly appreciate the fact that you never EVER need to speak to your members to get their money. It just shows up in your bank account, as if it was there the whole time. While I'm typically not one to favor absolute tax deductions, I've seen a world with no taxes, and it's extremely stressful. When a crewleader tries to survive on tribute alone, and ditches the ordained tax system, it seems he gets choked off, and can't keep up with other leaders. Is there a happy medium? Have we found it, or is there something better?

3. The Streets. Oh, I used to spend hours walking up and down the streets, debating, arguing, yelling, and fighting in the streets. I loved it! I had an addiction to the discussion, and this world supplied me the daily fix. But where is it now? I peruse the various discussion locales and see storytellers and idiots! I'm astonished that newspaper presses have been abandoned, replaced by nothing more than a waste of time. Can we really say we're at a point where NO discussion is needed? That we've found our "Golden Age", and will carry on business the way we've learned instead of questioning its logic and fundamentals? If so, congratulations. This speech is unnecessary and obsolete. But if not, it's time to engage your minds for the sake of our world's future. Who's first?

(By the way, if there's a topic on your mind that you'd like discussed, you're welcome to provide it here or send me a telegram concerning the nature of your topic.)

Report Post Tip

Drinking his first coffee of the day Kurtz was rather surprised to see such a bright and enthusiastic speaker at such an early hour. Throwing down healthy gulps of his coffee and shaking his head, he tried to wake himself up enough to pay attention. When the speaker had finished he wandered over to say hello.

My my! You certainly woke up full of beans didn't you. An interesting slant on things you have there. I can see the parallels you draw between the emergent Greeks and our own way of life and society. There will always be teacher, pupil relationships in and society and in any trade. Evolution in this is almost always cyclical. Each generation making refinements on the methods of it's predecessor and so on as the landscape of our world and it's processes develops. You do raise a few points here though...

Drinking another large swig of coffee he went back through the speaker's points in his mind before continuing.

On your fist point: I'm not sure there is any trade off or balance there to strike as you suggest. In my experience any mobster will try to push forward as much and as hard as they can in all aspects of their business and experience. The amount of protection someone has, the amount of crews and people in their city, have absolutely no bearing on strategy for the individual mobster or even leader. All said, everyone will try their hardest to develop every possible facet of their daily life, to the maximum, no matter what.

Your second point: Its been said, the only two certainties in life are death and taxes. I've seen various degrees of tax in journals and conversations with others. A leader may change their rate of tax for numerous reasons. A reduction in rates as a reward for a collective achievement, or an increase in order to drive toward a particular financial goal. I'm not sure I agree that taxes are great simply as it enables hands to never have to speak to crew members. In my experience I try and talk to the family members often, about a great many things. It has proved counter productive to do otherwise. But really, taxes are a flexible thing and their use is entirely down to the needs and whims of the leaders who sets them.

Your last point:

I peruse the various discussion locales and see storytellers and idiots! I'm astonished that newspaper presses have been abandoned, replaced by nothing more than a waste of time. Can we really say we're at a point where NO discussion is needed?

Ok this is a very constricted view. To write off every comment made in these streets that isn't a story as 'idiots' is a touch alarming. Sure there are swings in general enthusiasm for discussion and street presence but that's only natural. All things creative ebb and flow and the streets are no exception. I can't see any of the fine people who's comments and well thought out discussions have appeared in our streets recently, being best pleased to see their efforts dismissed in such a way. And really, regardless of your personal opinion, the effort Solastalgia put into his news paper does not deserve to be written off as "a waste of time". Even if it falls below your obviously very high standards, I don't believe it is fair or just to criticise it in such a way.

Anyone interested in the cyclical mentor system of societal development employed by the Greeks, would know how counter productive that is.

Putting his coffee cup down on a cafe table, Kurtz stepped inside to order another.

Report Post Tip

Naenia stretches from her position near the current conversation and yawns. She had been enjoying some morning air, seeing as the weather had finally warmed up enough for her, and had dozed off in the sunlight. While she was asleep, a young man had begun speaking about Mafia Philosophy and while she hadn't caught all of it, she heard the tail end of his speech as well as her good friend Kurtz's reply. Blinking the last bits of sleep from her eyes, she jumpes up and strides over to Exxo.

Good morning, young man. While I'm afraid I've missed some of your little speech, I did hear the last part of it. Kurtz over there filled me in with his reply. Winking at Kurtz, who was watching from the cafe window, she continued While you've made some good points and I'll try and address each with my own perspective, as middling power player in this World.

Taking a sip from her flask, of ice tea, she circles Exxo.

Your first point, if I am correct, was about territory? A interesting topic to start off! Naenia stops circling and closes her eyes, as though attempting to remember something from distant memory Each of the Eight Crime cities represent a, if lead by organized crime, a piece of Empire. I could use other terms, but it all means the same in the end...anyways! Such pieces vary in size, according to the wishes of the Godfather or City Head. There are usually two ways to go about it, expand in quantity of crews or expand in crew depth. While doing the former can net you more players, not always does more equal better. The potential monetary gain of having more can be eliminate if the quality of the recruits is low. Whereas with the latter, you can be ensured that crews will be developed to their full potential size, though earnings will suffer for some time. It’s merely an example of the Tortoise and the Hare. Naenia grins However, a leader should always have focus on growing.

Taxes...taxes...My bloodline has gone both ways. They’ve taxed the hell out of mobsters and ditched the tax system all together. The tax free way is the best way to gain a measure of a mobsters willingness to earn, while the tax system ensures that mobsters earn, regardless of willingness. All a leader needs to know is the group of guys that are working for the family and which system works best.

Clapping her hands together, she waved over one of her bodyguards. Whispering in his ear and handing him something from her bag, she waved him off. Turning back to Exxo and resuming her circling, she smiled. Business. Never ends...however, now for the streets! Perhaps the most difficult aspect of our world to master, is discussing something on these paved roads we so often congregate on. The storytellers and idiots bring to the streets something unique, even if it is just another pile of drivel. Waving her finger, she stopped in front of Exxo I would point out though, that not all storytelling is for naught. I remember a while back relating my arrival to these shores, because I wished to make it known who I was to any who took notice. Sometimes that is the only mark a man or woman makes in this world...to mock them for that is to show disregard for a fundamental aspect of Human Nature.

Thank you Exxo, for stepping out and providing a chance for fellow mobsters to comment on something. I’ll take note of your offer as well and may act on it at a later date! Satisfied with what she said, Naenia returned to her sunlit spot, determined to continue enjoying the fine day.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Mafia Philosophy
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL