Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 11:52:58
Page:  1 
Putting the underground in the ground Started by: The_Head on Jul 08, '20 19:19
Recently I spent hours in the Chicago library, perusing through old newspaper clippings and taking in the exploits of some of the great marksmen to have graced these shores throughout history. I have sat enthralled whilst listening to stories from the elder consigliere, recounting how the mere mention of an elite hitman's name had wise guys trembling with fear in case they became the next target. These men were known by all, however very little was known about them outside of their own families. I learned that a assassin moves in the shadows, making sure that he keeps his nose cleaner than a priest's tablecloth. They have to stay one step ahead in order to stay alive. One thing is for certain, they did not shout from the rooftops about their prowess with a pistol.

A strong leader ensures that there is no talk about guns in the wider family circle, be it in the coffee shops or within the family hideouts across the city. See a hired gun can be as discreet as possible, but he can't do anything about a loudmouth crew member spilling his guts in the speakeasy. Well except maybe putting a gun in his mouth to shut him up. But by then it could be too late, you never know who was listening and what information they picked up. That is why the importance of omerta is drilled into young gangsters long before their acceptance into the family. When it comes to family business of any kind, keep it zipped. But to openly talk about guns, be it family or otherwise? That was considered sacrilege of the highest order.

When getting carried home from the local tavern a few nights back I seen a small crowd of crooks gathered round a board nailed to a lamppost. My associate and I made our way through the crowd to see what had garnered their attention. You can imagine my shock and dismay when I saw a list of supposed prolific professional killers from various organisations throughout the country. Some of these esteemed names had fallen in the latest war, others were still involved in the business. I'm sure they would have been disgusted when hearing about this proclamation.

I instructed my associate to do the decent thing and rip the board down and destroy it. Was the information true? Perhaps, or maybe it was all fabricated to get people whispering and cause trouble for those mentioned. That did not matter, however. What concerned me was that someone had the audacity to carry out such an appalling act in the first place. I can understand the kin of the recently deceased being angry due to seeing their families being displaced from power. What I can't fathom is the complete lack of respect for the values that should be the foundation of our way of life.

It was likely the work of a common thug, I hear you cry. Would they know enough about omerta to maybe think twice before besmirching the names of those who have worked their way to the top? If they are the kin of an established mafioso, they would be taught about omerta before they grew their first tooth. Heck, they should be learning about it whilst still in the womb. Murmurs are abound that it was the latest underground group to emerge from the gutter that can be held responsible this despicable deed. Well we all know they don't know the first thing about respect. Yet still they infiltrate our businesses, worming their way into families so they are afforded protection. Some even become fortunate enough to get sworn in and take an oath, only to throw it back in their leader's face with an act of treachery. In my opinion, such behaviour desecrates the sacred vow bestowed upon made men. When we give our blood for our family, it should mean we fight for our boss until his last breath.

I know it is near impossible for a family head to say they know every detail of each one of their members and that they trust them all one hundred percent. There are always those that can slip through the net, professing their loyalty all the while plotting from within. It seems now, more than ever, that our leaders need to be on guard to ensure that each and every one of their family are committed to the cause. Even established members can become disillusioned and end up having their heads turned by a so-called underground movement. I believe it is not just up to our bosses to weed out the vermin, but we as crew members must do our utmost to make sure there are no snakes amongst us. And if we happen to find one within our ranks? I'm sure there will be a hitman that will be more than happy to put them in the ground where they belong.
Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $560,000 Tip

Judge_Topperson listened to The_Head. It was practically impossible to disagree with his thoughts and concerns. He did wonder though, what The_Head felt consequences would be, so he opened his mouth yet again, this time without mentioning his boss Grin-08.

Well, The_Head. I think you did the right thing in taking away those lists that should have never been published. That publishment was a disgrace.

Judge_Topperson mumbled

A very interesting disgrace, that must be said..

Then he spoke back up to The_Head

I once heard that a secret can be kept by 6 people. If a seventh is involved, leaks are inevitable. Whether that is true or not, I can't say, I am not a sociologist. In fact, I got my very own license through fraud and blackmail.

Topperson cleared his throat

I am losing the topic here.. What I meant to ask..

Apart from looking back to what happened, and what consequences would be and will be taken if a similar thing happens again, I wonder what you think the effect will be on mobsters that are currently active in training their guns and building a network of bodyguards. Do you think they will be more hesitant in sharing how well trained either of these are, even if only it's just to their Crew Leader?
Do you feel people, in the nearish future, will have better shooting skills than reported? And if so, do you feel people will use those guns unauthed, as a consequence of the leaking of said list of skills?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Foamy listens intently and decides to speak up

While I congratulate you on a very interesting read, there are a couple of things that I think need addressing.

Firstly, you speak of an underground.  Surely the underground is, if you'll excuse the phrasing, our playground?  Do we not operate outside the law?

Secondly, this life of ours has always involved plotting, intrigue, ambition (seen or unseen).

urgo, your underground, illegal movements involving vast sums of money and power, will always be subject to those with ruthless ambition.

Report Post Tip

And I shall also self flagilate with shame for mispelling 'ergo'

oh the shame, THE SHAME!

Report Post Tip

Excellent thoughts and questions gentlemen, thank you for continuing the discussion.

Judge_Topperson, I believe there may be some mobsters that are now reluctant to pass up their reports of gun training after what recently transpired. They may feel they are putting themselves in danger if this information falls into the wrong hands. Of course, disobeying orders from above would incur the wrath of their boss regardless. There may be those who seek assurances that shot reports are seen by as few eyes as possible. As you said yourself, the more men involved the greater chance of a leak.

Could this apparent leak lead to marksmen purposely hiding their numbers? I feel this is something that has taken place as long as shot reports first came into existence. Potential rogues may feel going down this route may help extend their life expectancy. Heck, mobsters could even claim to have never shot their gun in anger. All the while discretly picking off unemployed bodyguards or heading down to the range in disguise. Of course, savvy leaders will pick up on any discrepancies in reports sent up. It is why we occasionally see long-serving members in the obits for seemingly no reason. These are more often than not mobsters who have been found out by their boss. A leader who keeps on his toes and has eyes and ears on every corner will eventually uncover a snake in the grass. So if a hitman thinks he's one step ahead of his leader and can get away with sending up false information, he'd better think again.

Foamy, I agree. We are the underground. Perhaps I should have referred to those subjects I mentioned as the under-underground? ​​​​​​ The individuals I spoke of are invariably the butt-hurt kin of fallen mafiosi, hell-bent on enacting revenge on their father's killers rather then carving out a career of their own. Some will come out to the streets and claim that their masterplan is in full flow, with it only being a matter of time before they or one of their accomplices strike. Others lie low within our families and hope they go unnoticed. Biding their time until they are strong enough to launch an attack. I'm not saying we can eradicate such behaviour. Indeed, plotting and scheming undoubtedly takes place at even the highest level, where it can often boil down to kill or be killed. The point I was trying to highlight was the increasing  importance of weeding out those who only take advantage of their families in order to carry out a personal vendetta. As well as airing my disgust at their complete  lack of regard for the sacred oath they are likely to have taken. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

Ethel sat knitting a nut sack for Foamy.  All the while she listened to The_Head and all the other people talking about the recent goings on and discussions about how well trained some people have been at their marksmanship; how everybody knew everything about everyone.  Since there was so little work required to knit the nut sack when she finished she decided to get involved.

This is quite the interesting topic Mr The_Head.  It’s one that people have discussed frequently within the coffee shops and privately (or not so privately) for a long long time.  The problem lies in two places; trust and the emergence of nationwide cartels rather six discrete cities.  The two are now inextricably linked however.  If anyone doesn’t drink the corporate kool-aid around shared shot reports, then they are immediately untrustworthy because why would you not want to be involved in the collective sharing of data if you were interested in the greater good? 

I remember when my grandson would come to visit for his Sunday dinner and he would tell me that he had been asked; “who is so and so?” as they progressed and shared their info.

Anyway, this preamble is more to say, personally I detest the idea of some centralised collector of statistics who can see all and wish it would end.  “But Ethel, you don’t understand how the world works.” I might get told however I think I do.  When in the course of history has one group holding all the cards ever really done it for reasons of good housekeeping?  Really doesn’t appear so, particularly when pre-war leaks say “Hen Broon has a gun of 1000 and 178 bodyguards”.  I totally understand a reluctance to share all their info.

How would someone get the information about these people lying low?  Coffee shop transcripts?  Rumours and innuendo?  Torture?  Coffee shop transcripts have repeatedly been shown to be incomplete and out of context at best or plain false at worst.  Rumours, innuendo and paranoia have fuelled more than their fair share of incorrect assumptions in the past and people can’t really be tortured other than bloodlined or even potentially bloodlined.

It’s for younger and wiser heads to deal with than this old bird.  Those in power will absolutely positively definitely state that total information keeps all the cities safe but what it means is it keeps any regime currently in power…in power longer.  And is that not what everyone in power wants really?    

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Putting the underground in the ground
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL