Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 21:57:19
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Discussion; Why Wouldn't YOU Set Up a 5 Man HQ? Started by: Anton on Jul 12, '20 12:30

Anton finishes reading his Manchester Guardian newspaper, which he has shipped over from England.  It is his favourite newspaper, and one that he feels is in touch with what the interests of the average man should be.  The New York Times, the so-called "paper of record" is enormously successful, and whilst there is nothing wrong with much of its reporting per se, Anton feels that he should lead by example and sources a newspaper that is a rarity.  That way, he might inspire some of the average and ordinary people that he feels duty bound to protect, mostly from themselves, and their own selfish, quite crude motivations.  Anton sips his espresso, one of the many wonderful things immigrants have brought to this nation, and, with no small measure of ironic cultural appropriation, tilts his head and says SALUD! to the bemused looking Italians, whose cafe Anton has been coming to for some time.  Anton begins to address the men, confident that his musings will guide these ordinary and average men to a better life...

"Every day I come here, and every day I buy an espresso.  I love the way you make it here, and I am touched at the deference you show to me.  It must be difficult, I know, negotiating how to deal with a man of my education, but I am a liberal, and therefore I have your best interests at heart.  That's one of the reasons I leave you $1 above the price you charge for this espresso.

I recall, with no small measure of envy, how you beat that man who got rowdy here.  One of my friends suggested that it was wrong to inflict some violence on someone.  I charged them with ignorance, and educated them on the cultural norms that you have brought with you to America.  I consider you noble savages, you see.  

Now, I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but I am an associate of one of the most powerful crime families in this nation.  My ambition in this life is to "make my bones" and then set up on my own, recruit my own associates and become the leader of my own outfit.

I am currently working on a guide for how best to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to us by Grin-08 and the other leading and guiding lights of this thing of ours.

Often I have heard you complain about having to pay tribute when the local CL comes knocking at your door.  Often, in language familiar to me educated, liberal mind, have I heard you discuss how you feel excluded from the mechanisms of power that affect your life.  Often, and in crude terms that I have difficulty synthetizinging to appropriate academic discourse, I have heard you express feelings of social exclusion.

So now, I must strong suggest that you avail yourself of the opportunity to better yourself.  I urge you to listen to me, and to do as I say.  

Things can only get better!

So, explain to me.

WHY WOULDN'T YOU SET-UP YOUR OWN 5-MAN HQ?

Report Post Tips: 10 / Total: $200,000 Tip
I’d venture to say finances hold most people back. Putting together the capital required to pay for your own building can be very daunting. Then you throw in the weekly tribute money and boom, you’re in a financial hole. For those interesting in setting up, I give you this advice: Have the money for your headquarters and first weeks tribute ahead of time. Be prepared to put in some serious work to pay for its forts, and start setting cash aside for the following weeks tribute.

On the flip side, if you’re already stupid rich and can afford to take the hit, go for it! Being your own boss can be liberating!
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Ragnarok - the start-up cash is substantial, but you're an old school guy.  Getting together $10M wouldn't be too much of a barrier for a lot of people.

I think there are other reasons why people don't set up.  Can you think of any? 

Report Post Tip
Even people who’s lines run back over a decade can suffer financial hardships and find themselves utterly broke. But you’re correct for the most part, 10 millions dollars can be acquired.

Why don’t people set up you ask? I think people want the chance to lead, until they’re given the chance to lead. When presented with the choice, they realize life is about to get a lot harder. They have to make tough decisions, decisions that could mean life or death for those who follow them. Some people just don’t want that hanging over their head. Or they realize finding good people to build from the ground up isn’t easy. Most fresh faces in this world already have predetermined homes and will not consider anything else.

I appreciate you bringing this discussion to the streets!
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I would agree with Ragnarok on his statement. There are folks that aren't money savvy. I enjoy gambling so I wouldn't venture down this road unless I knew I could sustain things for myself while maintaining my gambling addiction. I'm sure other folks will have other reasons but I think the most common one will be money as Ragnarok has previously stated. If you do hit the jackpot please don't forget about your gambling brothers and sisters that spend many hours at the blackjack tables or the trying hustles the house in a game of dice.

Report Post Tip

Gambling has struck down many powerful men in this thing of ours.

Debate rages over Lordian's demise.  And whilst Cromwell has set up an alternative investment scheme, which rewards identical to those offered by the late scammer Lordian, it doesn't look like it will take off.

Which begs the question.  Is Lordian the worst gambler in history? 

Report Post Tip

Ah yes, Cromwell did take over his operation. I think they way Cromwell is running it was the correct way of running it. I never had much interaction with Lordian since he was before my time. My ancestor ScubaSteve did note that Lordian did have his own style of gambling for sure. I wouldn't say he was the worst gambler based of these notes but he wasn't the best either. Now, I know this is hoping for a miracle but should his bloodline ever return to these shores. I would hope he would try to contact those that he owes a nice sum of money and credits too.

Report Post Tip

This is easy for me

I wouldn't set up as an any man/woman HQ because it's just so much fucking work.

good luck to those that do though.

Report Post Tip
I wouldn't set up a five man crew for this reason alone. There is safety in numbers, a small crew could and will be removed when those incharge get bored. And some false stories will be made to accompany that families removal.
Its happen many times before ... the excuses that is.
At least that is what I have seen, a small family just makes the removel so much easier.
Report Post Tip
Crosshair can you name five occasions when this has happened?
Report Post Tip

As many posts are mentioned in the past when anyone complains about the past the are tagged whiners or people who know nothing, so at this point I will simply decline the question that you have asked.

If you yourself have any history here you are well aware of people who have been removed for no reason.

And all I was saying was I would never make a five man crew, to easy of a target.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip
Crosshair, I asked the question because not one of yhe 5 man HQs I am aware of were taken down in the manner you described.
Report Post Tip
If you read the thread I wrote I never mentioned a 5 man crew had been removed yet....well other than one which was in Chicago but the name escapes me at this time.

What I said was they would come up with a story of why the families were removed.
Report Post Tip
I also find it funny that there are no 5 man crews even out right now. Make it worth the time let them have at least 15 people. I may ask then / but not for only a family of 5
Report Post Tip

It's an expensive ways and means to only end up being target practice. Anton amongst a few should know all too well.

Report Post Tip

5 men crews aren't real crews. They are posers feeding the city head cash. Nothing more. It's like one of those terrible actors who keep demanding their name be lut up in bright lights. Rather pathetic as far as I am concerned.

Report Post Tip
I guess I'll throw in my two penneth. The incentive to start a 5 man operation is something has intrigued me for quite a while now. I have been involved in a couple of these families throughout my time in Chicago, so I have had first hand experience of how successful they can become. The late Billie was allowed to expand after proving her worth, eventually being allowed to run her own operation out of Vegas before being tragically gunned down. Similarly, JackHenryAbbot ran a sterling 5 man family in Chicago. All whilst simultaneously being the darling of the streets. Unfortunately, he too lost his life in the recent war. These two were allowed to run their families as they saw fit, with no interference from the heads of Chicago.

So, to the question at hand. What's preventing me personally from branching out on my own? Firstly, loyalty to the loveable raccoon Elodin. He picked me up from the gutter after the aforementioned Jack had perished. Fortunately for me he likes to sniff around dirty alleys. Were it not for him, I too would have been another casualty in the war. I feel I owe my life to my leader and know that I would be torn having to decide whether or not to leave his furry side.

Secondly, and I'm not taking anything away from those who have taken the plunge themselves, if I am to ever run a family of my own I would prefer to earn it. The beauty of the 5 man operation is that anyone made and above with a steady income can suit up. Forgive me for being a bit old school, but if I can knuckle down and show my boss that I am dedicated to the cause of Chicago then perhaps word will travel up. Sure, the mighty Grin-08 may not know me now, but that's up to me to change that. The best way is by working hard, paying my dues (both literally and figuratively) and keeping my nose clean. All the naysayers and butt-hurt kin of the fallen say you have to be in the gang or the 'cool kid's club' or you'll never make it under this regime. Well, I want to prove I have what it takes to be offered an invite.

Yet, as I speak these words I realise that perhaps starting up a 5 man operation is the best way of getting myself noticed? Damn you Anton, why did you make me ponder this subject further! Removing splinters from your neck is a thankless task you know.
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $90,000 Tip

You make good points, The_Head.  If I may, is it not true that being part of a 5-man operation allows, in fact enables, access to the upper echelons of a city?  And, in war-time, an opportunity to be at the heart of the most decisive actions that a man can be privileged to undertake? 

Report Post Tip

With all due respect Anton may I ask why you don't set up with a 5 man operation?

Report Post Tip
Daniella_Greene - I haven't made my bones yet. If @Gn-08 gives me my button, I imagine I will
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Discussion; Why Wouldn't YOU Set Up a 5 Man HQ?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL