Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 02:05:34
Page:  1 
Following in their footsteps. Started by: Don-_Zane_Wheeler on Apr 15, '11 15:25

As the latest boat full of imigrants from sicily docks in the harbor of detroit cheers ring through the air. The sicilians have finally reached the land of opportunity. Through the bustling crowd of those from the old country pushing and elbowing their way down the gangplank slips a young man. A man of fine italian features, almost feminine good looks and yet, largely built with muscle. He flows with the crowd through customs, gives the name of Zane Wheeler and finally, is allowed into the new world of america.

There is an air of knowing around the young man, he has read the letters and journals of his ancestors, been told by word of mouth of the beauty and elegance of america, he has also been told the harsh life which a man like he would have to lead in order to taste those luxuries.

He enters into a diner, orders a cheese and onion sandwich with a glass of water, leans back in his chair, watching the people rush past in all their hustle and bustle. It was never like this in sicily, there were just small villages, small communities. You could walk from one side of the village to the other in ten minutes, and know the name of everyone you passed on the way. And the cars! He had never seen quite so many cars in all his life, yet here they were everywhere. All these strangers, all the cars, he was sure he would need to make some powerful contacts if he was to find his way in this harsh country. So he resigned himself to sit in this chair and watch the sicilians who have made their way in life, to find someone who he would be proud to call his friend, who he would happily work hard for and who would protect and guide him in return.

Report Post Tip

Sitting in the back corner of the diner, a tall red headed man is finishing up the last of a plate of fries and the last bite of his corned beef brisquet sandwich.  As he washes down the last of the meal with a soda, he is watching the people who are eating in the diner as well.  He sees a dark haired guy walk in carrying a suitcase.  On close look, the bag is tagged with a yellow card which says "Sicily, Italy".  Just looking at the mans clothes, the Insane Irishman thinks to himself, "Yea dat lad is definitely jist aff de boat."

For some reason a man has caught his attention.  He focuses his attention on him.  He overhears the man muttering to himself that he just got off a boat in the dock of Detroit.

"Stop de lights!  Aff de boat in Detroit from Sicily?   Oi may not be from dis country an' Oi an from de emerald lan' av Eire... but  jist 'oy in de 'ell did yisser boat make a non stop trip ter Detroit?   Did it fly?  Maybe it 'ad sum wheels on it?"

He shakes his head and runs his fingers through his hair, hoping to energize some brain cells to understand.

"'Ey boyo...Detroit located on de shores av de Great Lakes.  Dare is no feck'n dat a boat from Europe got dare."

He throws some money on the table and grabs his jacket.  As he makes his way out of the diner he walks past the immigrant.  He stops and backs up.

"'Ey Laddie, Oi wud suggest instead av lookin'  at al' dees people 'ere,  yer come up wi' a better story as 'oy yer got  'er arse in dis country,  otherwise, you're gonna 'av de 'ayte on yer  wi' de feds..."

He walks out...
Report Post Tip

Stylist Laughs

"And they say your insane hahaha"

Follows The_Insane_irishman

Report Post Tip

Actually, you can get to detroit by water. Try checking up on your facts before just assuming something and then chewing out a -48 for saying something.

Report Post Tip

Straight From Sicily? dude have you seen the map? unless your coming by canoe and have a real good navigator.

you seen to assume alot yourself

Report Post Tip

Who actually cares about the geography of what their writing in a RP, this guys a newbie who tried to make himself heard. This guys got guts, not many people can do that when start off as a thug with
-48, let him be. 

Report Post Tip

i wasnt bothered about the geography i was laughing at the irishman fair play to Zane.

just got a little excited with aldo haaaa

Report Post Tip

The Sicilian looks confused at this argument which has sprung up. He does not understand why there is so much hostility in the room, when he clearly knows his geography, as he was schooled by his uncle in the geography of the land he was to immigrate to.

But am i not correct in believing that Detroit is in itself a major port city? That the Ontario lake, is connected to the Atlantic by the St Lawrence river? And once again am i not right in believing that all five of these great lakes are connected by multiple rivers? So i am sorry for the confusion, but i do believe that it is very plausible that one should be capable of reaching Detroit, by boat, from the sea. 

At this the tall sicilian nods at both alonzo and aldo apreciating their support on the subject, stands and takes his leave, shaking his head at the confrontation.

Report Post Tip

stratching his head in equal confusion

I believe me personally never said it wasnt possible i said you'd need a pretty handy navigator for the tight squeeze 

there are not 2 sides of this arguement as there isnt an arguement taking place and if there was it wouldnt benifit any of us

Report Post Tip

smiles politely to the group

The Sicillian is correct. The 'salties' do use the St Lawrence seaway to ports inland. I live near one of the port cities, and there are ships from all over the world that come here.

With that said.. Welcome, Don Zane :)

Report Post Tip

Actually, the lake that Detroit's on is Lake Erie, I live by Lake Ontario. Ontario is by NY and canada only.

Erie is Canada, NY, PA, Ohio, Michigan, etc.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Following in their footsteps.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL