Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 00:15:10
Page:  1 
Bystander affect Started by: mahihkan on Aug 28, '20 19:30

So here I am my original post had two issues one a quote was not in a quote box. I was not aware of this rule, I am now and will remedy this in the future. Also someone felt that part of my post was out of character. I am not sure which part of it was but I will work to remedy this in future posts in the streets.  

The bystander affect is a two sides coin one side is inactivity the other side is active participation. 

If you are a  bystander who is practicing the negative side of this coin inactivity, you are propagating  even supporting the unacceptable behavior by not acting. The act of not taking action when you should, such as when someone is joking about rape or any abuse for that matter. 

This was side of the coin that we as a community just witnessed. 

I surly hope that is not the side of the coin that you truly support. I want to believe that us as a community will not. 

It was a sad affair that everyone was laughing and supporting the "creativity" of this person, when they all knew hew walking a fine line and you all let it go over board by your inactivity.

When myself as another character brought up the fact rape culture was supported here it was laughed and mocked at as if it is a joke.  My character's character was dirtied and drug through the mud. My reputation was called into question. This is common actually and it is called victim blaming. Another thing this community does, to avoid taking about the real underlying issue. This is actually common practice outside this game.

Lack of human respect for each other. Oh,unless it is your friend , right? Rhetorical question there. 

Just because we are playing a game over the internet does not mean common human decency can be thrown out the window. Especially over some basic human right. 

The other side of the bystander affect is the good side. the side where people say hey wait no matter who you are it is not okay to treat people like such and such. And oh rape yeah that is not a joking matter.

By not saying anything the community is just as guilty as the person who committed the act. 

Your silence was your compliance. 

It is very disheartening to see that no uppers in the game said anything against it until Squishy came out condemning the behavior and even condemning the lack of stance that the current uppers held.

Now why did this happen?

I think it is safe to say that the majority of this community did not approve of this abuse and victim blaming that occurred.  

It is also safe to say nobody said anything because of the bystander affect. not one person said no.

Peer culture is why nobody said anything.

Peer pressure that is . 

“With the traditional message of ‘don’t rape, don’t get raped,’ people tend to be resistant and understandably defensive,” Edwards said. “But when you say, ‘Everyone has a role to play in keeping people safe,’ people tend to be much more receptive to those messages.”

Yet, despite the powerful potential of bystanders, there are complex, multi-faceted reasons why people don’t intervene — deeper, stickier reasons than just not knowing what to say or do in a pressure situation, says Katz.

One of those factors is the pressure of the “peer culture” — the expectations among friends, partygoers, fellow teammates, etc.

When there’s an assault within peer culture situations — where most assaults happen — it’s not just about stopping a violent act, it requires going against stereotypes and social norms and confronting issues of gender and power dynamics, Katz says.

https://www.jacksonkatz.com/news/the-power-of-bystanders-to-end-rape-culture/

https://www.jacksonkatz.com/publication/pub_pennstate/

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $560,000 Tip

Thank you sending this message Duggee.  

To: mahihkan
Sent: Aug 28, '20 20:18
Subject:

you made a number of assumptions in your post, one of which I'd like to correct. Anton's post was reported by no less than 2 hands and 2 CLs, myself being one of them. He was jailed and the post checked by Helpdesk and then he was released. Helpdesk apparently found nothing wrong with the post. Quite a few people found the post 'unsavoury' personally I don't think it deserved a DD, but it should have been deleted at the least. Everyone was not laughing and supporting the "creativity" of this person, a handful of his friends were. That's it.

There are various reasons I am telling you this directly rather than posting in your thread, most importantly is that the core message you have made is correct, and by pointing out flaws in your post, no matter how trivial, it gives others an opportunity to discredit your post and ignore it, enabling the 'Its not me therefore I don't care' culture to continue.

However, I thought you needed to know that not all CLs were remiss in their moral duty.

Now here is my response .

I made no assumptions. I made observations on what I witnessed. 

There is a difference there.

Let us take a moment to mention  that he was exalted with a memorial and his posts were called entertaining and creative.  No one mentioned that what he did was wrong no one mentioned that it was indeed reported by a some uppers. 

In fact when a few people voiced that his behavior was  unacceptable all be it in an emotional state which is understandable. They were attacked for their behavior taking the light away from the subject. 

Instead people defended his behavior even after his death and punishment.

I have respect for the position he held , but not for the acts, nor the lack of a speech from anyone other than myself or squishy that, that behavior is just wrong and unacceptable regardless of the position you held or hold. 

No one was vocal we all witnessed the same thing him getting DQ'd and then squishy saying it was  wrong and then the uppers changed city rules but no announcement about the behavior being unacceptable. 

The bad side of the  bystander affect. if people in power say nothing , nor will anyone else.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
Right. Time for me to ruin people’s days.

The bystander effect being all well and good, I have to ask, how long was the post actually up for? Because by the time I’d noticed it, gave it a read, formulated a reply, posted it and refreshed, it was gone. The outcry from a bunch of offended folk being enough to force the issue that they didn’t like it, and result in the termination of a players character, and apparently a year long ban. I’d assume that the “bystander effect” and the fact that the post so quickly got taken down equates to people doing something about it. Maybe not publicly decrying and getting into an argument with a crewleader, which would have most likely resulted in their characters untimely deaths, but rather taking other options available to them.

Therefore, your statement that no one did anything is inherently flawed.

Secondly, there is a thing called human rights. We have freedom of speech. Freedom of expression. The right to have and express your own opinion. Your opinion, and admittedly, the opinion of more than a few others, is that what Anton posted was the epitome of evil. Not all of us share that opinion. I personally, am a believer that comedy is comedic, because it makes us uncomfortable. I am also of the opinion, that the vast majority of the people screaming about how evil Anton is, did do with the express purpose of getting rid of someone, whom they could get rid of through no other means. Also probably a whole heck of a lot of virtue signalling going off over here.

I notice that in the many years I have played this game, there has been an NPC by the name of Bubba. Bubba was speculated to commit Male on Male rape on a regular basis. No one came out crying about it for years. What is the difference between Bubba and Anton? Not a massive one.

As for the memorial I posted for Anton, which you so clearly disapprove of. I have known the player behind Anton for 11 years. He was the first crew leader that I can remember working under. If I wish to post a memorial for him, half serious and half trolling the fact that he would frequently post memorials for people he had either killed or gotten killed, then I will. That’s freedom of expression at work for you right there. If I don’t think that Anton is the devil because he alluded to “Storming a back passage/door/whatever terminology he used” then that is my right.

Yes, I found the absurdity of the post funny. I found the absurdity of most of his writing funny. He was funny. Offensive topics often are funny, as much as we’d like to pretend otherwise. Learning to laugh at ourselves and see past our immediate emotional reaction is a skill I recommend we all take the time to practice, because in the real world, there are much worse and more hurtful things than someone making a distasteful joke. Take that from someone who has seen things on a daily basis that the vast majority of you couldn’t imagine in your wildest nightmares. I’ve had to learn to not only abide murderers, rapists, peadophiles and worse in the course of my life, but to treat them with humanity and dignity. And let me tell you now, what Anton posted, in comparison with some of the shit I’ve heard and seen over the years, really wasn’t that bad.

There are monsters much worse than Anton out there in the world.
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $150,000 Tip

Did either of you read the two pieces of material that I presented. Or just read my observations.

I appreciated that Duggee sent me the information that some uppers did report his post.

That means that some people feel it is wrong, but  why did no one make any mention to the public that this was the case.  They just let a fire develop and emotions take over on many sides. 

Denial does not make it nonexistant.

I am not the only person that feels this way, just the only one as usual that says something. 

I fully expect you to  tear me apart and what I have said apart. I fully expect a bullet. Why? Because I said something yet again that has challenged someone's cognitive dissonance. 

Because silence means compliance and I am not compliant with that sort of behavior. in or out of character. 

Report Post Tip
Mahihkan, I’m out here trying to have a discussion with you. If you don’t want a discussion and would rather just assume that I’m going to get you shot for disagreeing then it’s pointless me talking to you about this.

If you get shot for this post, I can promise you that it won’t be by me or by my order. There’s been quite enough death for my tastes these past few days. The community won’t grow from us killing eachother instead of learning from our mistakes.

But we won’t learn from our mistakes unless we can sit down and speak about them like adults. My, and anyone else’s disagreeing with you, is not a personal attack on you. It is just expressing our disagreement.

Well, I was planning on not speaking on the topic....but your words have definitely made me feel that was not the right choice in its totality mahihkan. While I understand the standpoint of leaving it be and moving on, I also feel that it is similar to saying "let's just brush the situation under the rug and forget it ever happened". Not exactly the way to go about it I think. 

I think most could see from my interactions with Anton, that I was not a fan of his behavior/statements/posts and so on. I had no issue with the person behind the keyboard as I do not know that person. I also had essentially never interacted with his bloodline before as I felt it wasn't worth the headache or my time. On this account I felt a change of heart and felt that I should speak against him. I did this in a way similar to how he behaved, just with a bit more class. While he referred to me as dickhead, son, rocks for brains, and whatever other 'creative' names he could come up with I was just doing my best to attack the facts. In recent days I hadn't had the time to engage with him as often when I disagreed with him.

Then the thread that led to his demise came about and I was able to give it one read through while on mobile. I do not enjoy posting on mobile so I did not comment on it. I wanted to wait to either comment on it or possibly even report it once I had a keyboard in front of me. Clearly others found issue with it and quickly reported it. So, I will say that I do not think attacking everyone for 'not speaking up on the thread' is a valid argument. It was not up long enough for everyone to even read it or know it existed. It doesn't erase what he did just because minimal eyes viewed it, but it also made it hard for many people to react to it. I'm sure many heard about it second hand. 

At the core of your statement though, I can agree that not doing anything is just not the answer. At the end of the day I honestly felt terrible that Squishy felt the need to start off his thread about human decency with the use of the word 'apologizing'. He did nothing wrong. It is his game and I do not blame him for not wanting rape in the forums. I have always enjoyed my time on this game. I really have essentially no relationship with Squishy himself, but I always appreciate what he does for this community and how he always tries to find ways to improve it or protect it. 

Wheeler, we have had many pleasant interactions so I do hope that my following statements do not come across as an attack on you or your opinion on the matter. I just have a differing opinion on the matter at hand.

You said:

"Also probably a whole heck of a lot of virtue signalling going off over here."

I don't know how being against people insinuating rape of another user is 'virtue signalling'. I really don't have much more to say than that when it comes to that part of your statement. 

"What is the difference between Bubba and Anton? Not a massive one." 

I'd like to point out that Bubba is an imaginary character and Anton was a real human who typed up that thread and the insinuation of raping another user. Perhaps you have a point that both the real person and the fake character are similar....but that speaks poorly of Anton more than it does of an imaginary character which most people forget exists when it comes to the games jails. Especially since most people almost never go to jail these past few years with all the CA's available. Maybe it is time to move on from Bubba existing, but that is a discussion for a different forum. 

"And let me tell you now, what Anton posted, in comparison with some of the shit I’ve heard and seen over the years, really wasn’t that bad." 

...What you're putting out here is sort of a false equivalence. Just because you want to point out that other people did something you deem as 'worse' in the past....doesn't mean that what Anton did is less 'bad'. I'm sure there are people who would disagree with how you view those vague actions you are referencing just as you disagree with people on this subject. 

At the end of the day, I understand where you are coming from or trying to come from Wheeler. Anton was a friend and somebody you knew for a long time on this game. So obviously you did not enjoy to see him being DD'd and banned. Most would be unhappy to see that happen to their friends as well. 

My issue is more that you seem to want people to allow you to have your opinion and feelings of Anton....but their opinions and feelings are just so wrong and illogical. I may be somewhat off base, but that is how your statements come off. 

There are people on here who may have been the victims of such an act that Anton described and there are definitely people on here who know people that went through such a traumatic event. I know a couple myself and I will say I was not happy to see Anton using such an act as a joke. It is not a joke. No matter how much you hate the idea of PC culture. Which is something I dislike many aspects about myself. I don't think it was PC culture that made rape a topic that should be left off the joke list. I think it was the fact that rape isn't funny.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
Wheeler defending and trying to downplay a rape post? Who could have guessed that was coming?
Report Post Tip
First of all, I will address JFK. I don’t know you, clearly you feel you know me. You don’t know me, and at no point have I downplayed a rape post. But continue on with posting your utter bullshit. If you can’t have an intelligent conversation about this, your views really aren’t worth a damn to me.

TadKnackered, don’t worry about how you come across, you’ve always spoken eloquently, more so than I have, and I welcome the opportunity you present me to discuss this like an adult, with an adult. I’m typing, as always, from a phone, so please forgive the poor layout of this response.

In regards to my stating that people are virtue signalling, I can’t help but feel that a lot of the people coming out here and making a mountain of a molehill are simply trying to make this about themselves. Their problem isn’t with the post, it probably isn’t even with the belief that it is a rape fantasy. They’re simply trying to get attention off the back of this latest, most interesting development in MR. Jumping on the bandwagon as it were. I’ve read a lot on this topic and find the majority of it ringing false. But that is my opinion, and I’m sure someone will disagree.

As for the Bubba/Anton parallel, one rapist is as good as another in my eyes. If we allow it in our prisons then why shouldn’t we allow it in our streets. And if we ban it from the streets then why isn’t it banned from the game as a whole. Blurring lines between what is acceptable and what isn’t, saying that bubba can but Anton can’t, simply sends mixed messages. If the problem is truly with rape, then Bubba should have seen the same outcry as Anton has. I don’t see these same people out here decrying Bubba.

I’m not going to go into specifics, about the final point, simply because there’s no way I can phrase it that doesn’t say more than I am probably allowed to say. But I’ve sat for hours with some real monsters and murderers. Real ones, not fictional, roleplayed ones. Antons words, as I have stated in IRC, were simply words. Was the post acceptable? Well that’s debatable. But the accepted, right think answer is no. And the response it generated also indicates that the answer is no. But words and actions are two entirely seperate kettles of fish.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion TadKnackered. But I reserve the right to disagree with it, and tell them why I believe that their opinion is wrong. Does my disagreeing with it make it wrong? Clearly not. But neither does their disagreeing with mine make mine wrong. The part of your post in which you state that it is (And I paraphrase) as though I am trying to stop people from having their opinions is the only part I might find offensive, though I am sure you didn’t mean it to come off that way. I just expected that of all people, you would understand that without adult discussion about our differing opinions, we will never reach an understanding. Discussion is the foundation of everything in this thing of ours, yet so many people are just resorting to screaming rape fantasy and accusing me of defending a rape fantasy, rather than coming out here and engaging in rational debate.

I myself have known victims of rape. I understand as much as anyone that rape isn’t acceptable, but what I don’t understand, is where I’ve ever indicated that I hold a different belief. My problem is people using the fact that there may have been an element of rapeyness to Antons post to build themselves into a lather and make a mockery of the general professionalism and maturity (apart from Antons unique style of writing) with which we speak to eachother in this game.Yes it’s bad, no there’s no need for people to go off like this is a PC SJW protest.

People are going insane. Respected folk like FMP are in the streets and obits making a mockery of their legacy. And all because of a post Anton made which quickly got deleted.
Also, I feel I should add, much like in the cases of Brexit and Trump, these people would do well to learn that jumping straight to attacking a person and insulting them will do absolutely nothing but put them on the defensive. No one will ever change someone’s mind by shouting them down and screaming obscenities at them.

Im a big believer in the saying that you may win a fight with violence, but you’ll never win an argument.
Report Post Tip
So it’s easier to jump on the apologizing train as well.

I’ve been against stuff like this from day one. Your whataboutism is incredible. You cannot wait to try and deflect away from the situation. He’s been a terrible person for years and you seem to want to look past his track record and try and judge off of one post instead of a career of being a jerk. You’re trying to use doublespeak to prove that you don’t think it’s a big deal. It’s absolutely apparent it doesn’t bother you but you cannot seem to fathom that it would bother others that much. You like to throw around PC and SJW like they are buzzwords and not realize this is actually an issue.

Write 5 more paragraphs of the same shit, it still paints you as someone who can’t empathize at the very least. Glad you can judge others without looking at the things you’ve said
Report Post Tip
Well JFK, how perceptive of you. As I am someone with Aspergers Syndrome, you hit the nail right on the head. No, I can’t empathise.

But in fairness, I wouldn’t really want to. I’m quite happy living in my emotionally shallow and logical little world, where my judgement isn’t clouded by petty emotions. When the world is all black and white, it’s easy to make sense of it, even if not everyone agrees with my perspective. But usually, I am right.
Report Post Tip

Wheeler, I'm not sure what value there is in questioning the motives of users as disingenuous while also insinuating that people who believe Anton did something wrong are brainwashed through the use of the term "right think".  Given that Anton was demoted, admin wacked and banned, this post clearly had issues that went beyond the scope of "questionable" or "worth debating" as it relates to the people who actually apply the rules for this site.   

Just as I wouldn't be inclined to question your motives or objective neutrality for defending him despite your close association with him for 11 years, I would hope that you wouldn't question the motives or neutrality of users by insinuating that they are virtue signaling or bandwagoning simply due to the fact that they spoke up after his very public removal; with obvious exceptions given his prolific nature on the streets, there are some in this community who are not inclined to give what they perceive as pointless musings, ramblings or general antagonism the time of day, and indeed, his long tapestry that was revealed after his removal would suggest that, historically, a bullet seemed to be used quite more often in lieu of engaging with him in a debate.  

His position as a crew leader obviously changes that dynamic.  I would posit that, much to mahihkan's point, the list of people who are willing to potentially throw a character away by dying on the hill of condemning Kuku in a leadership position is quite small - despite it needing to happen.  Bubba isn't a person -  (who, I should mention, does not rape on MR and I believe has no references to it on MR, unlike .org) Anton is.  Bubba isn't antagonizing or harassing users.  But perhaps if we take you at this point and Squishy decides to make Bubba start raping characters in jail or through the forums then perhaps he shouldn't be here either, much like Anton while these behaviors are displayed.

Your past experiences of knowing truly despicable people is all well and good, and Anton is, to the best of my knowledge, nowhere close to being in the category of the group you've described, but that isn't relevant to the actual matter when, again, the situation is that multiple people reported a problematic thread, took objection to it, and as a result this person was removed from the game, with haste.  Words matter.  Saying "I'm going to SWAT you" are just words - but do I really have to follow up on the threat to make it unacceptable and merit removal?  Would we be arguing the same nuances if the user Anton directed his post to was female?  I suspect that the conversation surrounding this incident would be a markedly different one.

I understand why you felt the desire to post a tribute to Anton given your aforementioned history - fair enough. But you surely shouldn't have expected that a polarizing personality like his will be well received, and attacking people's motives for speaking up now, when your core argument itself is sufficient to get your point across, will not lead to a productive dialogue in preventing situations like these in the future, which was the point of this thread.  

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

I don't really have too much to say on this topic besides to point out the obvious, which is that Anton made a street post which was therefore his fictional character alluding to someone else's fictional character. There was no user rape, just a response to FrankCastle's own insinuations about Anton.

To paint this as some reflection of users attitudes on the whole feels disingenuous to me. My view is and has always been that players should play the game and admins should police the rules. That is exactly what happened here. If people play their character as a paragon or as a shitbag, that is their prerogative provided it is within the rules. If it isn't, the admins step in, which is what happened here.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

I don't think any player here is filled with bad intent the way you guys let on. 

Report Post Tip

'all it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing'

Report Post Tip
This discussion has gotten to a point where I’ve replied to multiple separate people and ended up not getting the desired conversation with any of them. Vicodin, I’m not going to reply to you as I feel I’m just going around in circles with every new person who decides to throw their 2 cents in.

I originally came out here to Speak to @mahihkhan, who was critical of my memorial post, and as that hasn’t turned into something fruitful I see no reason to continue repeating myself into eternity. I’ve gotten beyond the point where I care enough. I hope you all have a nice day.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Bystander affect
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL