Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 05:31:44
Page:  1 
Learning the hard way, or is it? Started by: Juggalo on Apr 19, '11 12:09

Learning the hard way, or is it?

Hey everyone, this may or not have been brought up at some point in time but I have never seen anything on the topic, so if im “beating a dead horse” so to speak my apologies.

Now then, it has been on my mind just recently looking back on my family lines history around these fine cities of ours and there have been times I think some of my fore fathers have been pretty lucky at times taking advice from more experienced players when my family line first came to these shores and for the most part, I took there word and everything seemed to be fine and dandy. Though, the more I played the more curious I got and I guess you can say I learnt the hard way when it came to a lot of things. And though I wouldn’t change that for the world, I would have gotten so much more out of so many characters if I would have just stuck to what the wise old man told me.

Getting to the point here there are tons of people who are around willing to help you new mobsters who are looking to make a name for themselves, its not all pew pew your way to the top, learning and accepting the ways of this life of ours is key listen to your mentors, at times it means swallowing your pride and brushing off that badass attitude.

With that being said, im sure many of you have taken the hard trip and my question to you all today is learning the hard way at times best? Or is all this mentoring actually helping our new comers, or has it now just become the new way of recruitment? I know in the end all you can do is try and help and mentor the best you can but it all comes down to what they take in and what they want to take seriously. Or is it how seriously you take your mentoring position, is it more for the numbers then actually teaching the new comers what this place is about?

Thanks for the time and I’d love nothing more to see what everyone has to say on the subject.

-Juggalo.

Report Post Tip

When it comes to mentoring, the way you go about and the way you teach the newcomer is completely biased. Lets say your mentor is called James. He teaches you not to talk to your Crew leader till your at least Wise guy. Because lets face it, the goomba working for some Capo should have no business talking to the Capos boss.But then theres this other guy, his name is John. He says, "Hey this is your Crew leader. Talk to them whenever you want." Now they have the same concept, the communication of a crew leader. But the time period in which the young mobster can talk to their crew leader varies. Now that I am finished with this example I will give you my answer. I must agree with both. You learn some things of course by set example of some other high up, and then you learn by fault by speaking out in the streets. You then know and learn more and more the way you can conduct yourself. You must go through trial and fault to shape your own mold. Because lets face it, no one wants to be a clone. -FatsWaller

Report Post Tip

My first 4 or 5 profiles were killed for something they didn't know was against the rules.

I guess it comes with the trade.

Report Post Tip

If i have anyone under my wing I generally try and find out there knowledge of the game, aims, ambitions, limitations and build on them.  I find it far less frustrating then ending up dead every few days, and looks a lot better on your city.  I was lucky to have a hand on the shoulder by people such as Kanada, Chilid and MKM on old org making a real effort with me, and would never achieved half i did or stuck round playing otherwise.

I generally believe people should be advised on how to hold themselves, and to think how peeved i would feel if someone said what i said to them as i read it in the streets.  The truth is both can teach you and strengthen you, i would rather mentoring and encouragement then a bullet though every time.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Learning the hard way, or is it?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL