Get Timers Now!
X

May 08 - 22:23:08
Page:  1 
Chance encounter Started by: Eee on Sep 18, '20 01:01

Ethan sat at the end of a counter of a nearly empty cafe just outside New York City, enjoying a second cup of simple black coffee as he finished his scrambled eggs and toast.  He’d been away from his home in Seattle for what felt like a year to him, the work he came to do didn’t go as smoothly as it should have. It made time feel like it took exponentially longer, and Ethan was completely exhausted, ready to go home.   When he was finished he paid and quietly made his way to the door.  The young man was so tired he didn’t even pay attention and ran smack into another man about twice his age. 

The door shut behind the younger man, and the older one stood in sheer and utter shock.  Ethan was the last person he would have expected to see.  He looked back towards the two men with him, “You two go on inside.  No need for concern for me, whatever happens…” He paused for a moment contemplating the past for a brief moment, and let out a sad sigh. “I deserve.”  

Ethan stopped in his tracks, he barely looked up to the person he’d run into. He just took a deep breath and apologized. “I am so very sorry sir, don’t know where my mind is.”

He walked off to the side, and was about to walk off when a hand clasped his shoulder and stopped Ethan in his tracks. “Ethan Edwards.” The man whispered, just loud enough for the two of them to hear. 

“Do I know…” He began to speak before he looked over to the owner of the hand on his shoulder.  As his eyes took focus, he recognized the hand’s owner as the father of his childhood sweetheart.  “Yooou.”  He spoke the last word with complete and guttural loathing. 

The man knew there would be anger, but he wasn’t expecting the young man to tackle him and punch him across the mouth.  “YOU BASTARD!”  Ethan cried out.  Punching the older man as the last 5 years of heartache, loneliness, and confusion poured out of him.  “She was my best friend.  My, only, friend.  YOU took her from me… Why?  Because my family isn’t financially rich?  You silver spoon-fed bastard has had food on your plate, clothes on your back because of unworthy poor people like myself and MY family.  YOU…”  Ethan looked down upon the face of the man he was punching, and when his breathing calmed he climbed off.  “I… I’m sorry Mr. Brown.” 

Brown stood up and brushed himself off as best as possible.  After a sad sigh,  “You don’t have to apologize, Ethan, I know I had that coming.  I deserved every punch.  If I may,” He motioned to a bench near the front of the diner, and the two sat down. “Ethan, I am sorry.  You… You have to understand.  I never meant to hurt you, or Lily.  It’s just life, it’s expensive.  What if you or she got terribly ill, as her mother did.  Doctors, hospitals, medicines.  They all cost money, a lot of money at that.  If there’s a need for long term care, you could have never have provided it.  It seemed like the right idea at the time.  Considering the circumstances….”   Michael Brown stopped speaking, the tone in his voice was firm in believing what he said, but also pained with the guilt of what he’d done. 

“I’m sorry sir, but considering what circumstances?  I don’t understand.”  Ethan asked quietly.  His anger dissipated the moment he heard the pain in Michael’s voice. 

Michael was grateful that Ethan’s mind was elsewhere, so it meant he didn’t catch the fear that flickered in his eyes. He knew what he needed to say, and he wished to postpone it.  “She’s here you know, at the near-by park. I’m sure she’d be happy to see you again.”

Ethan’s eyes went wide, and he had completely forgotten about the circumstances that had been previously mentioned. “Lily, is here?  YES, take me to her, please!” 

Micheal and Ethan stood up at the same time.  Mr. Brown didn’t bother to say anything to the guards who had come with him to the cafe, this wouldn’t be the first time he’d taken off without them, he doubted it would be the last.  He placed his hand to Ethan’s back, “Come on then, let's go.”

As the two walked New York’s streets towards the park Lily was at, the two didn’t say anything. Michael was feeling guilty for not warning Ethan about what he was walking into.  Yet the innocent excitement he saw in the young man’s eyes, he didn’t have the heart to crush, and wanted to allow him to embrace the hope however short it would last. 

They had reached the park, and Michael pointed to a small family having a picnic in the shade of a large maple tree.  Ethan recognized Lily immediately, and his heart sank.  He took a deep breath as he sat down on the bench that was behind him. "She's married now, with a kid?" He asked to noone in particular.

"No, she isn't married.  They're celebrating they're engagement today, actually." Michael said, as he tried to place his hand on Ethan's shoulder. "His name is Jason, he was recently discharged from the military after suffering an injury, that won't allow him to have kids. The child is, well, she calls him Little Ethan. He'll be 5, in about 9 months"

Ethan put everything that was being told to him together.  He was glad his hands were empty, because whatever may have been in them would have dropped just like his heart did at the news. "No, that's… impossible. It was one time, just one time.  There's no way… it's impossible." Ethan kept saying.

"It only takes one time. Ethan, I am so sorry I took this from you… I had no right, I just, I thought I was doing what was best.  You should go up, say hi.  She'd be through the moon to see you." Mr. Brown's voice was nothing short of somber.

Disbelief gripped his mind and heart as he stared out at the young family enjoying their picnic on this sunny day.  They were all oblivious to the fact that only a dozen yards away was a young man who could turn their world on its head.  As he thought about what him inserting himself into their lives would mean to everyone involved, a sad smile spread across his face.

Michael looked down at the young man, totally confused as to why he was still sitting. He would have bet money that Ethan would have ran as fast as he could to his childhood sweetheart, and the child that is rightfully his. "Are you okay Ethan? Go to her. I promise it will make her day."

Still smiling Ethan shook his head, and spoke quietly, "No, I can't do that.  No matter how badly I may want to.  Look at them Mr. Brown, they're happy, pure innocent happiness.  Yes, I know Lily would be happy to see me, just as I would be to see and hug her again. But how long until either Jason or myself would force her to choose between us?  Force her to make a decision where no matter the choice, she's hurting someone. She wouldn't be happy then, she'd hurt, a lot. That's not fair to her, Jason, or myself sir. Not to mention poor little Ethan, the confusion he'd face with a new man entering his life. No, I can't do that to any of them.  This is for the best, and she's happy… they're both happy, that's all that matters."

Michael looked down at Ethan, completely shocked and taken by the maturity and selflessness the young man had just shown.  He didn't even think of the long term issues that might arise from Ethan entering his daughter's life again. "Ethan," his voice was soft and shocked, "Are you sure?"

Ethan nodded, "Yeah, I am. Just seeing her smiling and happy, it's enough for me.  Just tell her you ran into me during your visit to Seattle.  Tell her I'm doing well, and I didn't stop asking about her. That I'm through the moon she's happy, and I wish her nothing but the best.  She'll be just as happy to hear indirectly from me.  You can go on and join them though, I think I'd like some time alone."

Michael nodded, before he spoke. "You're a good man Ethan.  Take care of yourself."

Ethan said nothing as he watched Michael walk up to the young family, picking up little Ethan and tossing him up before hugging the little one close to him. Over Michaels shoulder the little boy noticed Ethan staring at them, and waved as Ethan looked on. Faking a smile the boy's father waved back, clenching his teeth as he smiled back, trying his best to hold back the tears that were trying to force their way from his eyes.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Private Threads (AKA Back Alley)
Replying to: Chance encounter
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: Off More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL